Jordan Pickford...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If he has reach problems, why does he save shots that are going off target? England conceded one a few years ago when he pushed away one that was missing the post. Ended up being knocked out IIRC.
That was Liverpool-Everton wasn't it....

Oranges038

England’s possession at the Euros

Croatia - 50%
Scotland 60%
Czech Republic 56%
Germany 46%
Ukraine 51%
Denmark 58%
Italy 35%

So one game where you could legitimately say that they couldn’t get hold of the ball. Even so I would say the issue is that we don’t really produce possession hogging midfielders rather than Pickford. That said even against Croatia and Germany, two sides that do have those types of midfielders, England were perfectly capable of retaining possession.

As I said Pickford on his day can kick the ball very well. To say that he can’t is simply false. The problem is his wild fluctuations in form. I posted stats from a game where his passing was top level, from a guy who’s profession is studying goalkeepers! You can look at this goal against Spain where he plays an Ederson-esque pass to Kane to start an excellent move.

That's one example of a good pass and one game with some passes. International football is totally different and much slower than PL football, England might play a half decent side once or twice a year. And only meet them competitively every 2 years or so.

If you look overall at his overall PL stats. His passing and ball playing ability is more comparable to that of Schmeichel or DDG and we all know how limited he is on the ball, he can't even get into Spain squad.

Pickford is very rash, is actually not really that good on the ball in high tempo games, and he's also not that good at sweeping or claiming high balls. Which Pope is so much better at. Nick Pope doesn't play that way at all for Burnley because of how they play. He might not be suited to playing the short game, but in a slower style of game he might over time. He won't get that in the PL.

daveskimufc

I would have no issue with Nick Pope being England's number one given how solid and consistant he is but AFAIK Pickford has never let England down in a big match unlike most of the keepers post Seaman so he'll remain in for the World cup.
Agree.
Let no1 down for England.

pope would be my choice too, he has been great for Burnley for years. Different games though I suppose, with England it’s sporadic action, with Burnley it’s constant shots and crosses!

Reactions: Cheimoon

sangria

That was Liverpool-Everton wasn't it....
Nah, it was an England game. It turns out I remembered slightly wrong. It didn't cost us qualification, but it was a last minute shot by Uribe in Colombia vs England that was going wide, but Pickford pushed it away anyway for a corner, from which Colombia equalised. It was praised as the save of the world cup, but it was going wide without his intervention, and his intervention resulted in a goal from the corner. An overhead view shows it most clearly.

Reactions: Cheimoon

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Nah, it was an England game. It turns out I remembered slightly wrong. It didn't cost us qualification, but it was a last minute shot by Uribe in Colombia vs England that was going wide, but Pickford pushed it away anyway for a corner, from which Colombia equalised. It was praised as the save of the world cup, but it was going wide without his intervention, and his intervention resulted in a goal from the corner. An overhead view shows it most clearly.
I actually remember that. Wasn't that a shot from near the halfway line? I'll have to watch it again but given it was flying through the air at speed I'm not sure in a split second Pickford could've just left it and assumed it was going over the bar so better to be safe than sorry so think that's a harsh one to criticise him for.

Classical Mechanic

That's one example of a good pass and one game with some passes. International football is totally different and much slower than PL football, England might play a half decent side once or twice a year. And only meet them competitively every 2 years or so.

If you look overall at his overall PL stats. His passing and ball playing ability is more comparable to that of Schmeichel or DDG and we all know how limited he is on the ball, he can't even get into Spain squad.

Pickford is very rash, is actually not really that good on the ball in high tempo games, and he's also not that good at sweeping or claiming high balls. Which Pope is so much better at. Nick Pope doesn't play that way at all for Burnley because of how they play. He might not be suited to playing the short game, but in a slower style of game he might over time. He won't get that in the PL.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think you underestimate just how bad on the ball Pope is. He's pretty much useless. I'm going of watching Pickford for England. His stats for Everton are not something I'd consider as he may be being asked to play a different way for them. Personally I'm not much of a fan of Pickford as a player. It seems one of those weird things that he's been really good for England. If he does lose his place it will be to Ramsdale rather than Pope though.

Oranges038

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think you underestimate just how bad on the ball Pope is. He's pretty much useless. I'm going of watching Pickford for England. His stats for Everton are not something I'd consider as he may be being asked to play a different way for them. Personally I'm not much of a fan of Pickford as a player. It seems one of those weird things that he's been really good for England. If he does lose his place it will be to Ramsdale rather than Pope though.
I may be, but Pickford's ball playing ability is really being overstated. Neither of them is really that good on the ball and playing that short game in goal for England is going to be a piece of cake in about 90% of their matches. We've just not seen a lot of Pope playing in that kind of game. So it really very hard to judge his overall ability to adapt. They both play for clubs that prefer to go direct the majority of the time. If you look at the PL stats his passing is pretty much inline with Pickford's. 1st and 3rd for launched goal kicks, passing not including goal kicks Pope 704 / Pickford 759, both launch most of their passes. But, again Pope is so far ahead of him in almost every other metric. He does everything so much better than Pickford.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I actually remember that. Wasn't that a shot from near the halfway line? I'll have to watch it again but given it was flying through the air at speed I'm not sure in a split second Pickford could've just left it and assumed it was going over the bar so better to be safe than sorry so think that's a harsh one to criticise him for.
Yeah I remember it, there wasn't too many replays during the game because England conceded directly from the corner.

It was an absolutely thundercnut of a shot and I think most goalkeepers would be scrambling to get to it.

phelans shorts

Yeah I remember it, there wasn't too many replays during the game because England conceded directly from the corner.

It was an absolutely thundercnut of a shot and I think most goalkeepers would be scrambling to get to it.

Yeah, every goalkeeper in the world would have done exactly the same (well, tried to. Many would have let it go behind purely because they couldn’t get anywhere near it)

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Yeah, every goalkeeper in the world would have done exactly the same (well, tried to. Many would have let it go behind purely because they couldn’t get anywhere near it)
Yup I don't rate him particularly highly but that's an insane "save" even if it's going slightly wide.

As you said I think most Goalkeepers are standing watching that fly by them and hoping it's off target.

At normal speed I think it looks even more impressive.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
All the goals he conceded in the euros were a 25 yard free kick and a scrambled corner he could do little about (might have tipped the first shot onto the post, can't remember) Oh and in the actual shoot out he saved as many penalties as Donnarumma did so I certainly would say he was on a par with tournament winning keeper who I think let one in from a corner v Austria in last 16 match.

In 2018 world cup he made that amazing save from Bacca in the Colombia shoot out and was fine in the other games.

He's inconsistant as feck at club level which is why he plays for Everton but I'm really not seeing this liability for England narrative. He's been England's best keeper since Seaman not that it's a particularly glittering list.
he's been England's best because no one else has been given much of a chance. In the past, club performances have determined selection - and Pickford has not been great for Everton (although he was very good last weekend). I happen to think others are better: in particular, Nick Pope

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
he's been England's best because no one else has been given much of a chance. In the past, club performances have determined selection - and Pickford has not been great for Everton (although he was very good last weekend). I happen to think others are better: in particular, Nick Pope
Pope and (heresy to say so here, I know) Henderson. I wanted us to go for Pope but that was never happenning sadly

Charles Miller

I don't know why english fans tend to mock this player. Everytime i watch he's an absolute match winner keeper. And is weird and charismatic like any good keeper should be.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pope and (heresy to say so here, I know) Henderson. I wanted us to go for Pope but that was never happenning sadly
Ramsdale got a chance in nations league v Hungary and conceded four.

Pope can also be a wall mode keeper aswell as we saw many years for Burnley but he's not very good with ball at his feet which Southgate wants.

Henderson could come back into contention given he's playing every week and his penalty saves will certainly be of interest.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s deffo underrated because he comes over like a bit of a twit. His performances for England have been quality and he’s mostly been good for Everton bar afew big mistakes. I don’t think he’s top top draw but he’s still a very good keeper.

Mike Smalling

Good at stopping shots and kicking long. That's about it. He will have these kinds of performances once a in a while, but he's nowhere near an elite goalkeeper for me.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He's a cocky bugger but he arguably made the best ever save in goalkeeping history.

FujiVice

What's terrible is, he saved the penalty to put England through. So the novelty of England winning on pens is what got the praise. If England would have gotten through after this save, they'd be still replaying it.

careca07

Unreal shot stopper and yet still always has the air of when you go to a circus and watch the clowns try to put out a fire with buckets of silly string

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Could you imagine if he had actually scored at the end!?

Holy fecking Christ... Would have been enough to end it all.

Varane should be knighted for his services to football.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This was really beautiful. Well done to everyone involved.

AFC NimbleThumb

This was really beautiful. Well done to everyone involved.

I usually do my meal prep on the weekends but I must have started prepping the onions early :(

Well done Harry you absolute legend! Brilliant of Everton to do that.

Strangest Tribe

I actually don’t mind the guy and think he’s a pretty decent goalkeeper, although he does dive like someone’s thrown him down the stairs..