Jordan Pickford...

UncleBob

He'd make a fine addition to ten hag's system. Plus he has more leadership qualities than the likes of maguire and rashford combined multiplied by 100.

If the bitters go down (I hope they don't) we should sign him.
You're kidding, right?

Pickford is an awful goalkeeper

Real Name

He'd make a fine addition to ten hag's system. Plus he has more leadership qualities than the likes of maguire and rashford combined multiplied by 100.

Are you sure you mean Pickford or you meant to post in some other thread?

Mike Smalling

Signing Pickford might actually be the final straw for me. I don't think I could support United anymore if that happened.

Nero

Yesterday it was Mitrovic, today it's Pickford. Some of the suggestions you see on here make our board seem flawless in comparison.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
What has happened to him over the last few seasons? He flashed onto the scene, secured the England #1 spot and has seemingly struggled ever since.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Pickford is a clown, a dodgy keeper and strikes me as not quite right in the head.

I'd love for you to sign him. Then you're just one center back away from completing the brexit backfive set.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
What has happened to him over the last few seasons? He flashed onto the scene, secured the England #1 spot and has seemingly struggled ever since.
Almost like he was never all that in the first place.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
God no. Decent shot stopper but quick to lose his head and I suspect would absolutely crumble under the pressure of being united number one. Too many mistakes in him. Plus he's a bellend.
I still don't understand how he's first pick for England (mind you, Southgate picks Maguire, so...)

RoyH1

Please no. He'd never be able to handle the pressure of United. When eventually we move on from DDG. we need someone more calm, collected and ultimately talented.

Red_toad

Please no. He'd never be able to handle the pressure of United. When eventually we move on from DDG. we need someone more calm, collected and ultimately talented.
Mike Maignan would have been a great addition to the squad last summer 15 million euro's is looking like a bargain now. I don't see an area where he's worse than Dave. Pickford isn't going to improve our defence.

Oranges038

He's a long ball keeper, plus he's a mouthy hot headed gobshite. There's no way he's suited to a passing game.

No idea how he's even England number 1 either. Nick Pope is so much better in every department. I'd rather sign him.

Pickle85

I still don't understand how he's first pick for England (mind you, Southgate picks Maguire, so...)
Agreed. He always makes me so nervous. Been ok for England so far but there are much better options imo.

mikeyt

Pickford is crap and that's from someone who really doesn't rate De Gea. I'd have Henderson over Pickford all day.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
He's been ok, but that doesn't make him the best English keeper.
He's been much better than ok, you're just letting your view of his Everton form cloud your judgment.

Nick Pope had his chance for England recently and blew it by looking about as comfortable playing the ball out from the back as Lukaku does doing keepy uppies. Henderson hasn't played in ages and Ramsdale whilst doing well, is still early into his career, he's hardly been bullet-proof either just recently but in time he should start to make a claim for the spot. It's not like there's a plethora of options queuing up to displace Pickford, if there was an Alisson or Ederson knocking on the door then sure but we don't have that.

England fans have a completely different mentality to most national team fans around the world, for some reason performances for England don't seem to actually matter all that much, it's purely about club form. I had this debate on here last summer with many saying Sterling shouldn't be in the squad. Sterling is one of England's best and most consistent performers, until he stops performing to that level for England then he will continue to be picked and rightly so, the same also goes for Pickford. What use is it to England if Trent Alexander-Arnold plays like the best RB in the world for Liverpool but can't replicate that level for England?

I don't think Pickford would be a shrewd signing for Utd for what it's worth.

Classical Mechanic

He's a long ball keeper, plus he's a mouthy hot headed gobshite. There's no way he's suited to a passing game.

No idea how he's even England number 1 either. Nick Pope is so much better in every department. I'd rather sign him.
He is suited to passing game when he's on form. The problem with Pickford is that his level is all over the place. You never know what you'll get with him. I think that save yesterday was one of the best I've seen but he's definitely not the right guy for United.

Pope is really rubbish with the ball at his feet. He hates having the ball passed to him. 20 years ago he would've been considered on of the best about but in the modern game he has a major deficiency. On all other aspects of goalkeeping he's usually near the top of the stats in the PL.

Last edited:

paulscholes18

Would prefer Raya from Brentford to replace DDG

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
You're kidding, right?

Pickford is an awful goalkeeper
Disagree. And so does the England manager who by the way actually knows how to get the best out of his players.
He is hardly an awful goalkeeper.

UncleBob

Disagree. And so does the England manager who by the way actually knows how to get the best out of his players.
He is hardly an awful goalkeeper.
Yes, Southgate is a genius and Pickford is a great goalkeeper.

Oranges038

He is suited to passing game when he's on form. The problem with Pickford is that his level is all over the place. You never know what you'll get with him. I think that save yesterday was one of the best I've seen but he's definitely not the right guy for United.

Pope is really rubbish with the ball at his feet. He hates having the ball passed to him. 20 years ago he would've been considered on of the best about but in the modern game he has a major deficiency. On all other aspects of goalkeeping he's usually near the top of the stats in the PL.

I'm not saying he is good with the ball, but the idea that Pickford is, is pure nonsense. Big part of the reason England couldn't get hold of the ball in the Euros final and games against decent teams is Pickford putting his boot through it at every opportunity.

If you look at their PL passing stats there really isn't that much between them at all and Pope shits all over him at everything else.

BorisDeLeFora

My theory as someone who has barely watched him play is Pickford has below average height and reach for a keeper, so has to do much more athletic type things to make saves, so looks better in a highlight reel.

He makes a lot of saves that other keepers would just step across and catch.

saivet

I'm no big fan of Pickford but he's rightly been England's no.1 for some time and isn't as bad as some make out

Pope is an okay keeper but he's not better than Pickford imo and he's the most awkward keeper with the ball at his feet. Southgate wants his keeper to be able to play the ball out from the back and Pope is probably the worst possible keeper to do that. When we've seen him play for England he hasn't looked comfortable at all which can't be a surprise given how Burnley play.

Ramsdale or maybe Henderson if he gets a move are the ones that will challenge him but not until after the World Cup and rightly so in my opinion.

Smores

Replacing De Gea with Pickford, this place is mental at times :lol:

mctrials23

Just absolutely despise the guy. Acts like someone has fecked his mother every time the opposition gets a sniff of goal. Screams his head off at everyone in the local postcode like an absolute cnut. If I was a defender in his team I would have smacked him by now.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
He's better than Henderson but another example of a keeper getting plaudits for saving lots of shots because he plays for a bad club, which ironically Henderson once was.

It's not laughable that he'd be an upgrade on De Gea (who wouldn't?) but he's not the type of keeper any club with title aspirations should buy.

Classical Mechanic

I'm not saying he is good with the ball, but the idea that Pickford is, is pure nonsense. Big part of the reason England couldn't get hold of the ball in the Euros final and games against decent teams is Pickford putting his boot through it at every opportunity.

If you look at their PL passing stats there really isn't that much between them at all and Pope shits all over him at everything else.
England’s possession at the Euros

Croatia - 50%
Scotland 60%
Czech Republic 56%
Germany 46%
Ukraine 51%
Denmark 58%
Italy 35%

So one game where you could legitimately say that they couldn’t get hold of the ball. Even so I would say the issue is that we don’t really produce possession hogging midfielders rather than Pickford. That said even against Croatia and Germany, two sides that do have those types of midfielders, England were perfectly capable of retaining possession.

As I said Pickford on his day can kick the ball very well. To say that he can’t is simply false. The problem is his wild fluctuations in form. I posted stats from a game where his passing was top level, from a guy who’s profession is studying goalkeepers! You can look at this goal against Spain where he plays an Ederson-esque pass to Kane to start an excellent move.

sangria

My theory as someone who has barely watched him play is Pickford has below average height and reach for a keeper, so has to do much more athletic type things to make saves, so looks better in a highlight reel.

He makes a lot of saves that other keepers would just step across and catch.
If he has reach problems, why does he save shots that are going off target? England conceded one a few years ago when he pushed away one that was missing the post. Ended up being knocked out IIRC.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Ramsdale will replace him soon enough because he’s much better on the ball and there’s not much difference in their shot stopping. Both arrogant knobs, fairly erratic, and nowhere near Europe’s elite. I’d be shocked if we had any interest in him.

Pickle85

He's been much better than ok, you're just letting your view of his Everton form cloud your judgment.

Nick Pope had his chance for England recently and blew it by looking about as comfortable playing the ball out from the back as Lukaku does doing keepy uppies. Henderson hasn't played in ages and Ramsdale whilst doing well, is still early into his career, he's hardly been bullet-proof either just recently but in time he should start to make a claim for the spot. It's not like there's a plethora of options queuing up to displace Pickford, if there was an Alisson or Ederson knocking on the door then sure but we don't have that.

England fans have a completely different mentality to most national team fans around the world, for some reason performances for England don't seem to actually matter all that much, it's purely about club form. I had this debate on here last summer with many saying Sterling shouldn't be in the squad. Sterling is one of England's best and most consistent performers, until he stops performing to that level for England then he will continue to be picked and rightly so, the same also goes for Pickford. What use is it to England if Trent Alexander-Arnold plays like the best RB in the world for Liverpool but can't replicate that level for England?

I don't think Pickford would be a shrewd signing for Utd for what it's worth.
Disagree, he's been decent but not outstanding. There hasn't been a single performance for England that I can recall where he's been outstanding. This kind of 'if it ain't broke' logic leads to teams becoming stale. Ramsdale is a better keeper and if we can upgrade Pickford we shoukd

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I’ve never seen it with him. Never looked particularly comfortable. I don’t even think he should be englands no.1
I would have no issue with Nick Pope being England's number one given how solid and consistant he is but AFAIK Pickford has never let England down in a big match unlike most of the keepers post Seaman so he'll remain in for the World cup.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
All the goals he conceded in the euros were a 25 yard free kick and a scrambled corner he could do little about (might have tipped the first shot onto the post, can't remember) Oh and in the actual shoot out he saved as many penalties as Donnarumma did so I certainly would say he was on a par with tournament winning keeper who I think let one in from a corner v Austria in last 16 match.

In 2018 world cup he made that amazing save from Bacca in the Colombia shoot out and was fine in the other games.

He's inconsistant as feck at club level which is why he plays for Everton but I'm really not seeing this liability for England narrative. He's been England's best keeper since Seaman not that it's a particularly glittering list.