José Mourinho | 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyKills

I agree. It's ok if you're an underdog desperate for a result. But not at United. He doesn't belong here
Yeah i think he'd still do well for a Valencia or Inter. But big stars don't seem willing to run through brick walls for him and he can't build a team of journeymen at clubs like United.

Patrick08

This is one of the most joylessly soul destroying ways to look at football. The highlighted part in particular goes against something fundamental against the love of the game, the one that most players dream of when they are kids.
Also "we were in total control without the ball" narrative.:D

Minimalist

Liverpool win at home last season, this narrative was a popular go-to for a lot of people.

Think even Mourinho knew we were fortunate that day, given his antics on the sidelines in the 2nd half.

redIndianDevil

Sorry but how is our style and method of play not Mourinho’s fault? Liverpool have had one of the worst defences in the top 6 for ages yet play to their attacking strengths. Mourinho’s style at United is to play extremely deep and play it safe. That’s the managers tactics, no one else’s.

Of course, having a creative left back and a solid ball playing centre back would help the team to no end but it’s still up to Mourinho to get the most out of the players he has and play some attacking football. We just looked scared on the pitch, today was no different than all of last season.
Exactly it's a bullshit excuse for playing so deep and Mourinho fanboys have been lying through their teeth that once we sign a ball playing CB we will suddenly be playing it out from the back and destroy the opposition. Even if we sign a peak Beckenbauer, Mourinho would proceed to play a low block, long ball football.

The United

This is one of the most joylessly soul destroying ways to look at football. The highlighted part in particular goes against something fundamental against the love of the game, the one that most players dream of when they are kids.
It is not soul destroying football methods. It is absolute shit and non sense.

Only a genius manager can come up with those though.

SteveW

Yeah i think he'd still do well for a Valencia or Inter. But big stars don't seem willing to run through brick walls for him and he can't build a team of journeymen at clubs like United.
Agreed. He won the CL with Porto and Inter. But fared badly in the CL with Chelsea, Real Madrid and United. His approach is built for the underdog. He needs to manage a smaller club imo

L1nk

God i hope Tuchel does well with PSG so we can nab him at the end of the season.

SteveW

I took these points with a grain of salt when I first read them. But Jose says this type of stuff constantly and it's evident in how he sets up teams. It's genuinely how he sees the game.

AlwaysRed66

Agreed. He won the CL with Porto and Inter. But fared badly in the CL with Chelsea, Real Madrid and United. His approach is built for the underdog. He needs to manage a smaller club imo
Perhaps Leicester would be a better fit considering its manager is favourite for the chop, just ahead of Mourinho in the betting. Could have a lot riding on Friday's game, with the loser getting sacked.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Went out of his way to say there were Sevilla players better than players in the United team that night. Have we sold a single one of those players so far? Nope. Blind only, who didn't play iirc.

So he knows the squad isn't good enough to beat Sevilla. He knows (or thinks) Sevilla have some better players than us.

Hasn't rectified either of those issues this summer.
I agree with what you have wrote.
But, the fact that the deadwood have not been outsted - is that Jose's fault or Woodward's?
Regarding replacing our weaker players - the Glazers are clearly penny pinching and Jose can't do anything about that.

Canagel

You can't defend him anymore. No player can look good playing this football. Maybe the defenders if we keep a clean sheet but that's not the aim of the game is it? Goals win games and atm we look further away from being the finished article than when he first came. I'm not even asking for ultra attacking football. Just some decent, easy on the eye football. To have composure when being pressed. Not hoofing with the slightest bit of pressure. You dont need 11 world class players to do this. Is that too much to ask for? You might say we are supposed to be a 'counter attacking team' and that's why we prefer to be without the ball but we can't even do that. You need composure to counter attack as well. Liverpool and City are better at counter attacking than we are. So what are we building towards under Mourinho? We play a 3 man midfield yet can't string more than 5 passes together? I'm just not seeing it after 2 years and entering the 3rd one. We shouldn't be this bad.

clarkydaz

Because:

The game is won by the team who commits fewer errors.

2 Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition.

3 Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it’s better to encourage their mistakes.

4 Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake.

5 Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake.

6 Whoever has the ball has fear.

7 Whoever does not have it is thereby stronger.
8. the earth is flat

9. He who has Lukaku will inherit the earth

Theonas

Scout
You can't defend him anymore. No player can look good playing this football. Maybe the defenders if we keep a clean sheet but that's not the aim of the game is it? Goals win games and atm we look further away from being the finished article than when he first came. I'm not even asking for ultra attacking football. Just some decent, easy on the eye football. To have composure when being pressed. Not hoofing with the slightest bit of pressure. You dont need 11 world class players to do this. Is that too much to ask for? You might say we are supposed to be a 'counter attacking team' and that's why we prefer to be without the ball but we can't even do that. You need composure to counter attack as well. Liverpool and City are better at counter attacking than we are. So what are we building towards under Mourinho? We play a 3 man midfield yet can't string more than 5 passes together? I'm just not seeing it after 2 years and entering the 3rd one. We shouldn't be this bad.
The thing there is no such a thing really if you are a big club. Big clubs cannot be counter attacking teams because the majority of their games are against teams that are happy with a draw. Counter attacking can only ever be one more weapon if you are a club of our status. The only team that has won with an almost purely counter attacking approach were Leicester and even then towards the end of the season when teams started paying them respect, they started struggling for goals.

MooseTheMooche

I thoroughly agree with this. I seriously don't know what is being coached right now, and how we are supposed to play, it is utter chaos and just shite on a stick football that is taken right out of Tony Pulis handbook.

arnie_ni

For all those saying our defense is awful...

Jose bought 2 cbs and both rarely start
He wanted shaw at chelsea
He gave Valencia the captaincy

He has a major part to play in that

Ban

Liverpool win at home last season, this narrative was a popular go-to for a lot of people.

Think even Mourinho knew we were fortunate that day, given his antics on the sidelines in the 2nd half.
How were we fortunate, Liverpool didn't create anything and wasn't dangerous at all?

Minimalist

How were we fortunate, Liverpool didn't create anything and wasn't dangerous at all?
They were poor in the final third, yes. I did watch the match.

We also could barely get out of our own half.

Patrick08

Tony Pulis handbook.
The original author of the book is Mourinho himself. It worked before when their was end to end football in the Epl and teams did not latch on to total footballing philosophy, but jeez it looks dreadful against total football.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You often hear him talk about how we controlled the game despite having little of the ball. Sigh!
I'm just to weak to even have a proper discussion tbh. I can't really express my feelings about his football.

Ban

They were poor in the final third, yes. I did watch the match.

We also could barely get out of our own half.
I get posters are out to get him but let's not belittle absolutely everything, victories in big games for example. In his first year we were crap in those, last year we were great but now the style is the problem...

rotherham_red

All the post-world cup optimism has just flushed away during this preseason.

And that's all I'm going to say.

Djemba-Djemba

I'd love to see what we do in terms of training and tactics for attacking because we seem to go out there without any plan of how to score whatsoever other than lump it to Lukaku or Fellaini etc.

AndyJ1985

I'd love to see what we do in terms of training and tactics for attacking because we seem to go out there without any plan of how to score whatsoever other than lump it to Lukaku or Fellaini etc.
Perhaps that's what they do in training

Patrick08

Big clubs cannot be counter attacking teams because the majority of their games are against teams that are happy with a draw.
They can not be solely counter attacking teams, but i think they can be Counter attacking teams. You just need world class Midfeilders and passers and direct players up front with playmakers in the midfield who can beat the high press and few link passes just like Fergie's teams used to do or Real madrid with Modric ,Alonso, Ozil, Ronaldo,Dimaria and Benzema.

This what is going on right now ain't a counter attack, the Players in the midfield are not good enough playmakers or wide players are not good enough to be direct players who can make a difference single handedly on the counter.

When Mourinho first took over i though we might develop into a Real Madrid style cou get attacking team, however the choice of players he bought or wanted to retain in the midfield this summer has totally poured cold water on that. Initially I had hoped for players like Jorginho and Fekir level Playmakers which needed to make Mourinhos tactics look good, but the Retention of Fellani and Non interest in Jorginho and Fekir completely was the opposite of what i thought was going to happen.

Eddy_JukeZ

The thing there is no such a thing really if you are a big club. Big clubs cannot be counter attacking teams because the majority of their games are against teams that are happy with a draw. Counter attacking can only ever be one more weapon if you are a club of our status. The only team that has won with an almost purely counter attacking approach were Leicester and even then towards the end of the season when teams started paying them respect, they started struggling for goals.
I think the poster meant in big games which a club's playing philosophy is truly on show.

Patrick08

I get posters are out to get him but let's not belittle absolutely everything, victories in big games for example. In his first year we were crap in those, last year we were great but now the style is the problem...
We can barely muster a shot on target or show any intention of scoring first goal until we are a goal down. That was the tactic vs Man city when we faced them at home with a potential city win would open a 8 point gap.

The thing is we just don't attack.

Jojo <3 Mou

He was very positive in the post match.
I know a lot of person are very concerned about his mood and it's effect on the team. He looks optimistic and in control. He praised his team and specific players. All positive on that end.
:)

Vilev

why the hell would the champions of PL overpay for players?
That's how it goes with champions, rich clubs often overpay, that's a simple fact. We've done it in the past as well, under Fergie. +30m for Berbatov speaks volumes.
we still had a realistic chance for the title
That is plain delusional that. By the time of transfer we were like 10 points behind with our general play having been a shit for quite some time. Sanchez also had a rather unspectacular half, he has not exactly raised our game. And we had to pay, even if it was with Micki. The difference was also, that Sanchez would have been a free agent in the summer, while Micki had a long contract.
As for Lukaku, it's true he doesn't cost 90m, but by the time we brought Lukaku the market prices were already overly inflated
Not really. How many +90m transfers have you seen? Players of the same level do go for higher prices, but this "higher" price is something like a 55-60m. That would be an "inflated" price. Board decided to basically give Everton everything they ask for, just to get the deal done and quickly, so he would not end up elsewhere.
I am not critical of approach itself, what i am saying is that with this approach we could have easily gotten anyone we were link to back then, under Moyes. If we paid around 50m back then, the clubs, Barca, Munich they would not even consider a rival deals. And players would agree as well as it often happens. If you'd actually remember just before Lukaku transfer many thought he already decided to join Chelsea.
Actually, yes he does. First off, when we brought Pogba he was widely regarded as one of the top midfielders in the world and certainly the best young midfielder in the world. People were calling him the new Zidane. Bruyne came from a relatively good season with Wolfsburg, but nothing really spectacular.
KDB was regarded as much a top talent as Pogba was at the time. Many actually considered belgian more talented. Ultimately the were players of the same level.
We do not know what level of financial support Moyes had.
What we do know for a fact, that Jose had a much better one. It clear no matter how you cut it.

And with a huge support like that, he is still unsatisfied mind you. Because club won't buy him third CB, for a 60m now.

Vilev

There is a thing called respect in sport (life) and you just don't act like Conte on that third goal at that time in the game totally OTT and inflammatory. Jose comments were not right either by the way but im talking about Conte.
Funny you should mention respect, because it's clear as day that Jose does not respect anybody at all. He insults people all the time. He has not gone even a single season without digs and insults.
Where is respect in that exactly?

Also what Conte has done was not inflammatory or disrespectful. It was emotional. I think Jose reacted to that because he is a bitter person. But football would be dead without emotions. Do you remember when G Neville run all the way to scouse stand and kissed a badge in front of them. I doubt any United supporter, and most importantly you, would call it "inappropriate" or tell that he was an ass and deserved abuse for that action. It's football banter. That was make it alive. It tough to be on a receiving end of one, but important to remember that we were on the other side as well, many times.
And what Conte has done, a lot of manager including Jose himself have done as well. And many times.

Zoo

He was very positive in the post match.
I know a lot of person are very concerned about his mood and it's effect on the team. He looks optimistic and in control. He praised his team and specific players. All positive on that end.
:)
Yep he looked calm.

Vilev

I think that it's hilarious how Jose already warns about tough season etc, literally lining up his excuses already. And that is considering United managed to get him Sacnhez in January and Fred now, two players wanted by City.

Theonas

Scout
They can not be solely counter attacking teams, but i think they can be Counter attacking teams. You just need world class Midfeilders and passers and direct players up front with playmakers in the midfield who can beat the high press and few link passes just like Fergie's teams used to do or Real madrid with Modric ,Alonso, Ozil, Ronaldo,Dimaria and Benzema.

This what is going on right now ain't a counter attack, the Players in the midfield are not good enough playmakers or wide players are not good enough to be direct players who can make a difference single handedly on the counter.

When Mourinho first took over i though we might develop into a Real Madrid style cou get attacking team, however the choice of players he bought or wanted to retain in the midfield this summer has totally poured cold water on that. Initially I had hoped for players like Jorginho and Fekir level Playmakers which needed to make Mourinhos tactics look good, but the Retention of Fellani and Non interest in Jorginho and Fekir completely was the opposite of what i thought was going to happen.
In theory, of course that can work. But using that Real Madrid team as an example is a bit misleading. I think people just underestimate the influence Ronaldo had on that team. Of course the likes of Alonso and Modric are world class but having a player that can score 50+ a season was a game changer for them. There is also the fact that their record in the big games when they played ultra counter attacking football was mediocre at best. They lost three consecutive CL semi finals with a lot of their fans pointing to their approach as the main problem. They looked toothless against us and in the league, they did not have a particularly great record against Barcelona or Atlético. The way La Liga is and the style of their teams meant that there was often space to be exploited behind in the majority of fixtures. This has changed in his third year when Spanish teams started to sit a bit deeper.

I think what I am trying to say is that of course it can work but it just requires too many conditions to go your way for it to work. It requires an absolute game changer up front, a Ronaldo type of player (the last two truly great teams to have used counter attacking tactics regurlarly were us and Real Madrid, both had Ronaldo in them). The problem with that is there are about 4 or 5 players who can maybe do that. The other problem is that the recent orientation towards possession meant most top teams have become very strong at sniffing out at counters. When Mourinho complained last year at Anfield about Klopp being too cautious, sure it was hilarious and we all thought he was deviating but he did have a point; Liverpool were very good at stopping us from building anything and they are not alone today. This is the problem with reactive systems, they always need the pro active ones to play a bit worse.

FujiVice

Funny you should mention respect, because it's clear as day that Jose does not respect anybody at all. He insults people all the time. He has not gone even a single season without digs and insults.
Where is respect in that exactly.
You dont talk to a woman like he did with their club doctor. That showed what type of man Mourinho is.

Vilev

You dont talk to a woman like he did with their club doctor. That showed what type of man Mourinho is.
Yeah, i actually forgot about it. Means he has done so much shit it's impossible to remember all. That situation was truly surreal. By all accounts she was a good medical professional, players liked here and like that he career was over because of how Jose behaved.

Status
Not open for further replies.