Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban

Our team has no identity whatsoever and its 100% due to the manager. Each player plays for himself selfishly and wouldn't want to help each other. If he finishes outside top 3 he should be sacked and we should go for Mopo. With this loss, its a real possibility.
For who?

El Jefe

I've defended him all season but my patience is wearing thin now.

As much as the oaf Smalling and a few others might have let us down today, this result was all on him. We are so rigid and lack ideas, not only in attack but in building up of the play. This team can't handle being pressed because we don't know how to pass the ball well enough and that's all on Jose and his preference for hoofball and direct attacks.

Once they scored I knew we wouldn't win. Mourinho is running out of ideas despite having Sanchez and Pogba in the side.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We never even compete againgst the top teams let alone beat them. Every away game (even against championship level opposition) is a struggle. We start the season decent and then fall off a cliff later on in the league. One and a half years is enough to judge what he can do for this team. We might win a league again under him if Pep leaves. We will never win the champions league or try to compete against the top teams especially away.

I can bet you liverpool fans are happier sitting lower in the league playing attacking football.
We're still 2nd - haven't been brilliant, but hardly fallen off a cliff.

Hawks2008

It's simple, we aren't gonna win the league with him in charge. The game has passed him by and he seems to make no effort to adapt.

Jagga7

I've said it so many times now, I really think modern day football has passed him by. The lack of pressing and any sort of attacking philosophy makes us a really disjointed outfit.
Our players have quality but I don't think he's getting anywhere close to the best out of them.

MDFC Manager

I've no idea what goes on during training, half time talks etc. but there's obviously something wrong - managers and players, everyone is to blame. There's something so rotten at the core of this club and the stat Sky showed illustrates this - since 2014, we've won 1 away game in which we conceded first. Gone are the days where you felt going down 1-0 worked in our favour.
@Pogue Mahone is going to now lecture you as to how that stat of us conceding first shouldn't be considered at all.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Consequences. It's that simple. If there are none, we'll continue to rot.
Moyes, LvG suffered the consequences, still no change. We won trophies last season, we're second this season and we've still passengers in our team. Like I said, maybe Mourinho doesn't inspire the confidence required but that last 10-15 minutes was atrocious. Players seem half arsed, Newcastle winning most of the 2nd balls. The only time we looked like scoring after they scored was during added time. Pogba ambling about likes he's on a shopping trip, Martial always looks disinterested, our shite CBs look afraid of receiving the ball. Blame Mourinho if you want, but, personally, I hate losing when I'm playing sports or video games, and I'll do absolutely everything to win and I'm no professional. I don't see that from some of our players. Maybe I'm not great at judging characters but it seems that way to me...

Canagel

Mauricio Pochettino
I have been very sceptical of him in the past but I have no doubt he would get more out of our attacking players than Jose. Whether we would win titles I'm not sure though.

JoaquinJoaquin

Starting to get to the point now where you have to start putting some of the blame on him. We were shocking against Spurs yet he sets out exactly the same today and the same occurs. That's bad management. He hasn't been helped by poor performances but he has to be able to switch things up when they aren't working which he isn't doing.

He isn't the same Jose as the one at Chelsea, I think that is clear. That's not to say he isn't good enough to be here though.

Kapardin

He's not coaching our attack properly.

That said, I will judge him when he has new CMs and better FBs than failed wingers or an inconsistent Shaw who's been just about average despite the hard work and improvement. If this sort of shite persists next season as well, then he deserves criticism.

SaboTaj

Mourinho needs to change things around. It is quite clear that the current system isn’t bringing the best out of all our players. To make things worse, our defending, especially on set pieces, has gone down multiple notches; this is absolutely unacceptable since it was supposed to be one of the team’s strengths.

If Jose can’t resolve these incumbent issues, I’m afraid we’ll have a tragic end to the season, and calls for Jose to be sacked won’t seem unjustified anymore.

el3mel

Watched only till minutes 55 or though so I couldn't complete.

However I think the current formation who he thinks the best isn't really working. There were some nice attacking movement but Pogba can't move forward with Lingard and Sanchez occupying central positions, Martial is useless on the right and Young can't seem to link at all with Sanchez on the left. We have tried it twice now and it just doesn't work at all. Sanchez was introduced to the team without a preseason, we were playing with certain players in certain positions so switching Martial from left to right make harm more than good.

Either switch Sanchez to the right or drop Martial for Mata. Shaw links better with Sanchez than Young since he tends to pass rather than cutting inside, and we need someone at the back to help building up the play. Smalling and Jones with Young as well make us so vulnerable to pressure on the back to disturb all our play.

It may look nice on paper but the formation he's trying to imply is too unbalanced and doesn't serve Pogba or Martial any good.

Time to return to the formation board and change somethings.

AndyJ1985

I've said it so many times now, I really think modern day football has passed him by. The lack of pressing and any sort of attacking philosophy makes us a really disjointed outfit.
Our players have quality but I don't think he's getting anywhere close to the best out of them.
I'd agree. Aside from a few obvious turds in the team, I think we have the squad to be playing far better football than we are currently seeing. If you put Martial Sanchez and Pogba in that Spurs or Liverpool team they'd be incredible and we'd all be dreaming of signing them.

ash_86

I have been very sceptical of him in the past but I have no doubt he would get more out of our attacking players than Jose. Whether we would win titles I'm not sure though.
It's a chance we have to take i suppose. I don't see any ready made managers out there that guarantees trophies.He puts in a system which gets best out of the players and is solid both in attack and defense.

Cloud7

I'd agree. Aside from a few obvious turds in the team, I think we have the squad to be playing far better football than we are currently seeing. If you put Martial Sanchez and Pogba in that Spurs or Liverpool team they'd be incredible and we'd all be dreaming of signing them.
I posted this in the post match thread. You really can’t help but feel a more positive thinking manager would be getting much more out of our current crop of players.

Instead here we are, saying once we sign new players for RW and fullback then we will start seeing attacking football, and then when that doesn’t work it’ll be because we need to sign players for CM and CB to see some cohesive football and so on and so on.

L1nk

Can you imagine the football we'd be playing if this squad was in the hands of say Tuchel or Jardim? It would be so exciting to watch.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Would take Pochettino right now tbh.
Would Pochettino want to come is the question? All good and well saying I'd take this and that manager but he's got a good gig at Spurs, can't see him wanting to leave any time soon.

walkinhop

Moyes, LvG suffered the consequences, still no change. We won trophies last season, we're second this season and we've still passengers in our team. Like I said, maybe Mourinho doesn't inspire the confidence required but that last 10-15 minutes was atrocious. Players seem half arsed, Newcastle winning most of the 2nd balls. The only time we looked like scoring after they scored was during added time. Pogba ambling about likes he's on a shopping trip, Martial always looks disinterested, our shite CBs look afraid of receiving the ball. Blame Mourinho if you want, but, personally, I hate losing when I'm playing sports or video games, and I'll do absolutely everything to win and I'm no professional. I don't see that from some of our players. Maybe I'm not great at judging characters but it seems that way to me...
You are correct, I do that too. Have you competed in organized competitions? Simply out of curiosity.
I'm asking because i've noticed that every time i participated in an event, including the training for it, the coaches were extremely aggressive if you didn't do what they ask you to. Sometimes you can't simply show how competitive you are and it's better to follow the instructions.

Also, many people can't just take the initiative. Those need specific orders and would gladly follow them but won't go outside the box. Players are human and showcase typical human behavior. It's the job of the staff to gather and organize a group of people who suit their vision. Players can commit uncharacteristic mistakes and they do, which does influence the result many a times. However, once the outcome of the matches becomes unsurprising, once these performances become chronic, then the question should be raised. Is it due to the players, who have significantly changed since Moyes, or due to the yet another manager's inability to produce at this level?

One thing all 3 managers past SAF have in common. They've been around for a while and i guess the club wanted to get stability. There are some exciting new managers, albeit unproven, who might be a better suit. Maybe the times have changed, maybe it's something else. I think that a DoF or a group playing the same role is best. With it we would be able to experiment with the coaches and be bolder in staff recruitment without sacrificing the continuity and stability we oh so desire. My 2c.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Starting to get to the point now where you have to start putting some of the blame on him. We were shocking against Spurs yet he sets out exactly the same today and the same occurs. That's bad management. He hasn't been helped by poor performances but he has to be able to switch things up when they aren't working which he isn't doing.

He isn't the same Jose as the one at Chelsea, I think that is clear. That's not to say he isn't good enough to be here though.
Yeah, obviously he should get most of the blame. ManUtd have players like Pogba, Matic, Martial, Lukaku, Sanchez and still play like they never played together. Our game is so static and lack intensity. He should be blamed along with some players.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No reason why a team filled with players like Pogba, Martial, Lukaku, and Sanchez cannot defeat a side ready for the drop like Newcastle. People can whinge about needing new fullbacks or systems or whatever but there's quite clearly something insidious on a more grand scale that is holding us back and it's down to the manager to solve.

Canagel

It's a chance we have to take i suppose. I don't see any ready made managers out there that guarantees trophies.He puts in a system which gets best out of the players and is solid both in attack and defense.
There are other options like Jardim, Tuchel, and Sarri too. I want one of those four to come in next. Jose has steadied the ship but he can't take us no further. We should be planning for the future.

RORY65

He's not coaching our attack properly.

That said, I will judge him when he has new CMs and better FBs than failed wingers or an inconsistent Shaw who's been just about average despite the hard work and improvement. If this sort of shite persists next season as well, then he deserves criticism.
His comments about City spending so much on full backs was quite telling though. Unlike a lot of modern coaches who see them as integral to the team's attacking game, players who can give width and have a bit more time on the ball, it seems that he sees them as peripheral figures (converted centre backs or wingers who weren't good enough in other positions) compared to the big men in the middle.

JoaquinJoaquin

There are other options like Jardim, Tuchel, and Sarri too. I want one of those four to come in next. Jose has steadied the ship but he can't take us no further. We should be planning for the future.
I think Jose should be given at least another year but if things don't change next season then I wouldn't be totally against a change. Sarri is a special manager.

fellaini's barber

Sometimes I want to blame the players but then I see the likes of Liverpool and Spurs playing decent attacking football and I can't say they have better players than us. Our attacking play is been pathetic and is getting worse even after adding good players. Slow, predictable and reliant on individual brilliance

Zoo

I think he’s at a crossroads tactically. His only gameplan against top teams is to park the bus because he doesn’t know what to do. The game has evolved, he hasn’t.

L1nk

The problem is we won't, I just can't see it. Arsenal, Chelsea and Bayern will be looking for managers this season or the next and you can bet they will all be snapped up and we'll be stuck with Mourinho for seasons to come or with, say, Ancelotti because of his 'pedigree'. Tuchel is a winner and plays amazing football, he'd be perfect, that's why it won't happen.

Walters_19_MuFc

In the grand scheme of things, Jose isn't do that badly, so I can't be too critical. Second in the league, last 16 of CL, still in F.A. Cup, etc. However, a big part of why he was so poor in his second season at Chelsea was because of his inability to change things up.

To me, if something isn't working - and it quite clearly isn't at the moment, then change it. Whether that be system, personnel, strategies, tactics, etc.

We just don't seem to have any balance in our team at the moment - no game plan. We're playing like we've just put eleven players on the pitch and told them to play.

It's time to switch something up. If that means dropping certain players, then so be it.

Ludens the Red

As usual with this team , they go a goal behind and basically give up. I can't imagine Mourinho isn't reading them the riot act but whatever he's doing it just isn't working, everytime we've gone behind this season you've not felt a comeback was on at any stage. Bar perhaps the leicester game.

Young and Lingard had their purple patch and should really go back to being squad players. It's now like 4/5 games in a row where they've both been up to nothing. Mourinho needs to address this.

Pogba. Unfortunately matic has down tooled so he can no longer compensate for Paul Pogbas defensive inabilities as a central midfielder. Mourinho again needs to address this.

Borden

Out of ideas, keeps making the same mistakes over and over again, can't get the team to play with intensity and desire, can't get the best out of our players, can't/doesn't coach attacking football.

Giving him that extension probably wasn't the best idea.

Pscholes18

Players thrived under Fergie....but they understood who they were playing for and under....definitely don't see that under Mourinho...I think we need an attacking minded manager who understands the exact player he needs at a particular position to make the system work....a manager who will make adjustments as the game moves on...who wont take anything less than full commitment from his players. Hard to come by these days I know but someone needs to come in and start kicking some arse and sorting things out.

Ban

I'm sure he would jump right in if we ask and let go of everything he has built at Spurs.

NinjaFletch

Yeah, obviously he should get most of the blame. ManUtd have players like Pogba, Matic, Martial, Lukaku, Sanchez and still play like they never played together. Our game is so static and lack intensity. He should be blamed along with some players.
I mean that's because they haven't right? Obviously they've not 'never played together', but Sanchez has come into the lineup mid-season and Martial's moved into an unfamiliar to accommodate him. That's a fairly big change and I'm not surprised they are playing like they're not quite used to that. Obviously we may still expect more out of them regardless, but I still think it's hardly surprising that they a bit unfamiliar with each other.

If things don't improve from here that's what I'd start to worry.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
You are correct, I do that too. Have you competed in organized competitions? Simply out of curiosity.
I'm asking because i've noticed that every time i participated in an event, including the training for it, the coaches were extremely aggressive if you didn't do what they ask you to. Sometimes you can't simply show how competitive you are and it's better to follow the instructions.

Also, many people can't just take the initiative. Those need specific orders and would gladly follow them but won't go outside the box. Players are human and showcase typical human behavior. It's the job of the staff to gather and organize a group of people who suit their vision. Players can commit uncharacteristic mistakes and they do, which does influence the result many a times. However, once the outcome of the matches becomes unsurprising, once these performances become chronic, then the question should be raised. Is it due to the players, who have significantly changed since Moyes, or due to the yet another manager's inability to produce at this level?

One thing all 3 managers past SAF have in common. They've been around for a while and i guess the club wanted to get stability. There are some exciting new managers, albeit unproven, who might be a better suit. Maybe the times have changed, maybe it's something else. I think that a DoF or a group playing the same role is best. With it we would be able to experiment with the coaches and be bolder in staff recruitment without sacrificing the continuity and stability we oh so desire. My 2c.
I used to play for my school cricket team. One year, I remember, we were woeful, maybe finished 2nd bottom in the borough, but the desire to compete was always there. Next year, same group of players, same coach, we finished 2nd.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think he’s at a crossroads tactically. His only gameplan against top teams is to park the bus because he doesn’t know what to do. The game has evolved, he hasn’t.
True. Made this point a while ago - look at the top teams winning the CL etc and they tend not to be pragmatic, defensive teams but instead attacking ones who win not by necessarily being better tactically but by just being able to blow their inferior opponents out of the water.

I think Mourinho's skilled enough to at least offer something, insofar as he has improved and stabilised us, but I'm doubtful it'll be enough for him to succeed at the very top.

ash_86

I'm sure he would jump right in if we ask and let go of everything he has built at Spurs.
Well thats where the big fat check and unlimited transfer budget comes into the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.