Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borden

:lol: Bit of a meltdown going on here.

Mourinho could have spent the money he spent on Lindelöf on another CM. I didn't see the point in giving Carrick another year either (and he's barely featured, and clearly doesn't have the legs anymore), so he could have freed up some money there too.

Last edited:

Fracture90

Are you saying we should have or shouldn’t have played deep? A high line with the midfield we had yesterday would have been comical.

Which athletic CM’s are you talking about? TFM and Pereira? Is that the stick you are going to beat Mourinho with? Seriously? He didn’t even want Pereira to go out on loan and who the feck said TFM was good enough to play in midfield against Premier league opposition? You’re just making up fantasies in your head.
This is getting better and better honestly, you keep ignoring my questions.

It was Mourinho's job to persuade Pereira and provide some playing time for him, but he instead kept insisting on playing Fellaini. TFM can't be worse than Huddersfield's MF from yesterday, right?

Just curious are you gonna keep ignoring every question that doesn't suit you or you gonna defend your stance for a change instead of just mindlessly shifting the blame and amassing flimsy excuses?

haram

This is getting better and better honestly, you keep ignoring my questions.

It was Mourinho's job to persuade Pereira and provide some playing time for him, but he instead kept insisting on playing Fellaini. TFM can't be worse than Huddersfield's MF from yesterday, right?

Just curious are you gonna keep ignoring every question that doesn't suit you or you gonna defend your stance for a change instead of just mindlessly shifting the blame and amassing flimsy excuses?
1. Fellaini is a better CM than Pereira
2. The lad isn’t even playing CM out on loan
3. Saying we should have kept TFM because we could have used him in CM yesterday is hilarious. It is more use him being out on loan.

You have resorted to “He should have kept TFM, what an idiot”, and it’s desperate. Who knows if he is as good as Huddersfield midfielders? He actually probably isn’t believe it or not. He got his games at RB and CB both here and at Palace. You’re living in dream world.

EDIT - and you still haven't answered how you would have had the team set out yesterday? Maybe it’s because a deeper midfield line makes sense?

Last edited:

Fracture90

It’s not about the fecking worth or value it’s the skillset they possess.
Wait a minute so you're actually saying that MF Huddersfield fielded yesterday is more skilled, possess better set of skills than our MF?

Kapardin

Mourinho could have spent the money he spent on Lindelöf on another CM. I didn't see the point in giving Carrick another year either (and he's barely featured, and clearly doesn't have the legs anymore), so he could have freed up some money there too.
That's true though. Lindelof still seems like a strange signing. Not that we couldn't do with a CB considering Smalling and Jones being what they are, mind.

haram

Wait a minute so you're actually saying that MF Huddersfield fielded yesterday is more skilled, possess better set of skills than our MF?
It’s about MOBILITY. The Huddersfield players like Billing have the mobility to press hard and high and make recovery runs. Does Matic have the legs to be box to box? Does Carrick have the legs to press and recover?

haram

Some of you are completely and utterly deluded. Carrick being a better passer has nothing to do with the fact he will be found wanting trying to press and recover, especially against a high energy team away from home.

Fracture90

1. Fellaini is a better CM than Pereira
2. The lad isn’t even playing CM out on loan
3. Saying we should have kept TFM because we could have used him in CM yesterday is hilarious. It is more use him being out on loan.

You have resorted to “He should have kept TFM, what an idiot”, and it’s desperate. Who knows if he is as good as Huddersfield midfielders? He actually probably isn’t believe it or not. He got his games at RB and CB both here and at Palace. You’re living in dream world.

EDIT - and you still haven't answered how you would have had the team set out yesterday? Maybe it’s because a deeper midfield line makes sense?
Again you're just deflecting and nothing more.

But how can you then say we got overrun in the MF yesterday when the person responsible for that is Mourinho and his fascination with tall players that aren't very mobile?

Way to counter high pressure from smaller teams is by going wide and stretch them, getting your CB's in play, something we cannot do because we aren't being coached that way. How many times have you seen our CB's going wide to be an option for pass when they return the ball back to the GK? Never.

What makes Fellaini so better than Pereira other than his ball heading ability ?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is an absolutely shambolic post.

Yeah it’s Mourinho’s fault Pogba, Herrera and Fellaini are all out at the same time.

You’re right, instead of signing Pogba he should have signed 3 average CM’s instead, because that is what is going to win us anything.

Of course it matters is Matic can play a certain role or not. The fecking hilarious thing about all of this is that Huddersfield barely troubled Romero and we won 2-0.

What you just posted is one of the worst posts I have seen on here. Complete and utter lack of awareness.
Oh the irony is strong with this one :lol:

I doubt you even comprehended what I wrote given the incoherent mess that you've just responded with.

It's pretty simple. Jose's spending is large enough and the midfield even post injuries good enough to perform well against bloody Huddersfield without lame excuses being made in response. In the end the buck stops with the manager unless he isn't backed. Jose has been backed. Simples.

Not that I have a problem with that performance. I do call out illogical posts when I spot them.

Nor do I have a problem with Pogba. I'd sign him again. But even if I/Pep/SAF make that signing, the manager has to produce regardless.

Fracture90

It’s about MOBILITY. The Huddersfield players like Billing have the mobility to press hard and high and make recovery runs. Does Matic have the legs to be box to box? Does Carrick have the legs to press and recover?
Mobility isn't everything, hello! Our players aren't statues ffs and are technically far superior to Huddersfield's more mobile MF.

I'll ask you again, who's fault it is we lack mobility in the MF?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He can't quite grasp the fact that players have different qualities.

I agree with what haram is saying here. We played a 2nd string midfield consisting of three defensive midfielders with not much mobility there. McTominay obviously has the most out of the three but it was never a midfield that would work by pressing the opposition. Mourinho was basically forced to make our midfield sit deeper and with Sanchez not offering Shaw much support defensively it forced Matic to play as a defender at times. Carrick will probably admit this himself when he hangs up the boots at the end of the season, he's absolutely done physically. Still has great quality on the ball but off it he's really slow and doesn't seem to be in the best shape. I'm fine with the performance yesterday, it was a typical 5th round tie away from home against a side that was up for it. We got the job done.

haram

Oh the irony is strong with this one :lol:

I doubt you even comprehended what I wrote given the incoherent mess that you've just responded with.

It's pretty simple. Jose's spending is large enough and the midfield even post injuries good enough to perform well against bloody Huddersfield without lame excuses being made in response. In the end the buck stops with the manager unless he isn't backed. Jose has been backed. Simples.

Not that I have a problem with that performance. I do call out illogical posts when I spot them.

Nor do I have a problem with Pogba. I'd sign him again. But even if I/Pep/SAF make that signing, the manager has to produce regardless.
What is so illogical about a midfield of Matic, McTominay and Carrick playing deeper? Am I wrong that their lack of mobility is not suited to a higher line and harder press? We did press in small parts but the midfield isn’t going to just keep squeezing the whole game. It would make no sense.

Yes he spent big, it’s not his fault that 3 midfielders are out at the same time though is it? Despite that, he set his team out and won 2-0. Huddersfield did not trouble Romero. Pogba was his big CM signing and didn’t play. Matic was out of his DM position. He still made it work.

I knocked Pogba for his performance against Newcastle, not him overall as a player.

haram

Mobility isn't everything, hello! Our players aren't statues ffs and are technically far superior to Huddersfield's more mobile MF.

I'll ask you again, who's fault it is we lack mobility in the MF?
If Pogba and Herrera are fit there IS mobility in midfield. Do you not understand that the other options we had available did not have mobility? It isn’t Mourinho’s fault that they are all out at the same time. Does that answer your nonsensical question?

haram

He can't quite grasp the fact that players have different qualities.

I agree with what haram is saying here. We played a 2nd string midfield consisting of three defensive midfielders with not much mobility there. McTominay obviously has the most out of the three but it was never a midfield that would work by pressing the opposition. Mourinho was basically forced to make our midfield sit deeper and with Sanchez not offering Shaw much support defensively it forced Matic to play as a defender at times. Carrick will probably admit this himself when he hangs up the boots at the end of the season, he's absolutely done physically. Still has great quality on the ball but off it he's really slow and doesn't seem to be in the best shape. I'm fine with the performance yesterday, it was a typical 5th round tie away from home against a side that was up for it. We got the job done.
Thank you, exactly.

Fracture90

If Pogba and Herrera are fit there IS mobility in midfield. Do you not understand that the other options we had available did not have mobility? It isn’t Mourinho’s fault that they are all out at the same time. Does that answer your nonsensical question?
This is genuinely getting ridiculous. How many times has Mourinho played Herrera and Pogba together? How many times in a MF 3? How many times against high pressing teams?

The reason trams play high pressing game against us is not because we don't have mobility (those are professional football players you're talking about) but because they know we're happy to defend deep and attack on the counter in addition to not being coached properly, not having a right system to battle the high pressing game.

You can try to shift the blame all you want but it's down to Mourinho's coaching and recruitment.

haram

This is genuinely getting ridiculous. How many times has Mourinho played Herrera and Pogba together? How many times in a MF 3? How many times against high pressing teams?

The reason trams play high pressing game against us is not because we don't have mobility (those are professional football players you're talking about) but because they know we're happy to defend deep and attack on the counter in addition to not being coached properly, not having a right system to battle the high pressing game.

You can try to shift the blame all you want but it's down to Mourinho's coaching and recruitment.
Did it against Everton mate. Is a midfield of Matic, Pogba and Lingard supposed to be defensive or one that is made to sit deep? Did we not press Arsenal away from home, take a 2-0 lead AND THEN sit deep? Did we sit deep in the two games against Spurs? At home do we not own possession and have the defenders press up the pitch? In most of the big games this year Pogba has been out anyway.

Against high press teams sometimes you ride it out and wait for the team to take a breather and then step in. This happened under Fergie as well. You are allowed to vary your approach depending on the opponent, playing at home, playing away etc.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

In Mourinho's defence our midfield didn't look like it was going to be an issue at the start of the season, he probably didn't foresee Fellaini being out for nearly the entire season and Herrera's form going out the window.

The CB thing in hindsight looks bad but Lindelof was highly rated before he joined us and there were times last season where nearly all our CBs were out injured, he probably wanted to avoid a situation like that again. I'm not going to act like all his decisions regarding transfers have been perfect but I can certainly see his reasoning. I will say it was a big mistake to let Pereira go out on loan, he may not be a generational talent but he certainly could have done a job in midfield, he's our only creative midfielder besides Pogba.

SwSw

What is the "right system"?

The system to counter the press is to play it long. We played long when we are faced with the press.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

The system to counter the press is to play it long. We played long when we are faced with the press.
1. Having a player or players who can receive long passes in the final third. Lukaku isn't really the answer

2. Before you play it long you have to be able to recycle the ball quickly and comfortably in your own half to draw the pressing and wait for the gaps to appear.

I'm sure there are also others ways other than playing it long too. Whatever it is though, we clearly cannot handle the press period.

SwSw

1. Having a player or players who can receive long passes in the final third. Lukaku isn't really the answer

2. Before you play it long you have to be able to recycle the ball quickly and comfortably in your own half to draw the pressing and wait for the gaps to appear.

I'm sure there are also others ways other than playing it long too. Whatever it is though, we clearly cannot handle the press period.
In my opinion,

1. Lukaku isn't the answer if we play it long into him. He isn't really good at receiving the ball and shielding it. However, he's good at brushing opponent off on the half turn. That, in my opinion is where his strength lies. So, instead of playing it long into him, play it slightly ahead of him.

2. We need a ball playing CB if we are going to play it long. OR, we could use a 3 man midfield and go toe to toe.

Fracture90

Did it against Everton mate. Is a midfield of Matic, Pogba and Lingard supposed to be defensive or one that is made to sit deep? Did we not press Arsenal away from home, take a 2-0 lead AND THEN sit deep? Did we sit deep in the two games against Spurs? At home do we not own possession and have the defenders press up the pitch? In most of the big games this year Pogba has been out anyway.

Against high press teams sometimes you ride it out and wait for the team to take a breather and then step in. This happened under Fergie as well. You are allowed to vary your approach depending on the opponent, playing at home, playing away etc.
Just a single game with them all in a MF 3, which tells us he really has no intention of playing MF 3 to, let alone to combat high pressing teams by outplaying them, in footballing sense.

Seems you're unable to understand my point which is that Mourinho doesn't want to outplay high pressing teams through the possession and stretching them wide, he's more than satisfied sitting deep and attacking on the counter, hence why he sticks to his MF 2 comprised of Pogba and Matić, that's why he's hoarding tall MF player's and then he's relying on your flimsy "no mobility" excuses.

Fact is playing like that in an odd game can pass, but when your team relies on that approach more often than not, than it's a problem if you take into the consideration the money spent, money he's earning, club history and the squad he has and has contributed in forming.

Fracture90

How often do you see Tottenham, Arsenal, City, Liverpool among the other teams going long and hoofing the ball upfront at the first sight of high pressing team?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Not sure I agree. Still yet to make a judgement on Lindelof but its clear why we bought him. But lets stop with revisionism on Carrick. Didnt he go 25 games unbeaten as a starter last season? Also, we were full of joy when he signed his extension. And, he would have been the fifth choice MF at the start of the season. We have been bitten by the fact that both Carrick and Fellaini have missed 90% of the season, Pogba also missed a chunk of it and Herrera has been in terrible form since he first kicked the ball in the Super Cup.

Yesterday, we started with Matic, a 36 year old who has had heart troubles and an inexperienced 21 year old finding his feet in club football. We won 2-0. Granted we were shit in the first half, but we sorted it out for the 2nd and went through with mimimal issues.

Rochdale, today, have shown that football is contested by two team. Other than for City, nothing is a given. Huddersfield came into that game as the home team and having scored 8 in their previous 2, but we dealt we them well enough, in the end, on depleted resources in the middle of the pitch.

Borden

Not sure I agree. Still yet to make a judgement on Lindelof but its clear why we bought him. But lets stop with revisionism on Carrick. Didnt he go 25 games unbeaten as a starter last season? Also, we were full of joy when he signed his extension. And, he would have been the fifth choice MF at the start of the season. We have been bitten by the fact that both Carrick and Fellaini have missed 90% of the season, Pogba also missed a chunk of it and Herrera has been in terrible form since he first kicked the ball in the Super Cup.

Yesterday, we started with Matic, a 36 year old who has had heart troubles and an inexperienced 21 year old finding his feet in club football. We won 2-0. Granted we were shit in the first half, but we sorted it out for the 2nd and went through with mimimal issues.

Rochdale, today, have shown that football is contested by two team. Other than for City, nothing is a given. Huddersfield came into that game as the home team and having scored 8 in their previous 2, but we dealt we them well enough, in the end, on depleted resources in the middle of the pitch.
Yes, let's. Because I wasn't 'full of joy' when he signed his extension, I thought it was pointless and wanted him to be given a coaching role instead.

crossy1686

career ending
How often do you see Tottenham, Arsenal, City, Liverpool among the other teams going long and hoofing the ball upfront at the first sight of high pressing team?
Jesus, you're in all the Jose threads aren't you?

We're not any of those teams so why don't you drop trying to convince everyone that we should be just because you prefer them?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Fair enough but majority thought it was a good move.
I'd argue most thought he should have been replaced before Jose even arrived (due to his age). I didn't mind him getting a new deal to be a backup player but certainly not to be a relied upon starter.

It was clear this summer we had no intention of playing a midfield 3 with the way the squad was setup, it looked more like we were moving to towards a back 3.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, hopefully we get the required midfielders this summer and can try something new

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I'd argue most thought he should have been replaced before Jose even arrived (due to his age). I didn't mind him getting a new deal to be a backup player but certainly not to be a relied upon starter.

It was clear this summer we had no intention of playing a midfield 3 with the way the squad was setup, it looked more like we were moving to towards a back 3.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, hopefully we get the required midfielders this summer and can try something new
Yeah, I agree. He was always 5th choice. As it happens, now hes 2nd/3rd which isnt a great position for us to be in.

SwSw

Just because they do it, don't mean it is the right way.

Pep's Bayern played it long against Klopp's dortmund.

Womp

idiot
Yeah but we do it against any team, good or bad. You're talking one of the best teams at pressing in Europe at the time.
I understand the need for hyperbole on this forum, but this is simply rubbish and you know it.

Fracture90

Jesus, you're in all the Jose threads aren't you?

We're not any of those teams so why don't you drop trying to convince everyone that we should be just because you prefer them?
Top red strikes again from you...hoe surprising .

Judging by your logic than you're a Mourinho fan more than UTD fan, right?

The sooner you understand that there are more and more people unhappy with the shiit style of football Mourinho has been playing, the better for you.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I understand the need for hyperbole on this forum, but this is simply rubbish and you know it.
Nah, case in point against Huddersfield in the first half specially. They kep pressing and we kept it pass it back till there was no other choice to lump it forward, only for them to retrieve it. Personally I don't give too much of a shit about it but we're not very good at passing the ball out from the back against any team.

Fracture90

Just because they do it, don't mean it is the right way.

Pep's Bayern played it long against Klopp's dortmund.
They do it because it's effective and because they can, they have been instructed tactically how to to do it and have been recruiting accordingly.

Are you honestly tell me that a club as big as UTD, with the players we have, the money we spent, should be playing hoofball whenever a smaller team press us high?

That last past, holy crap, you should actually go back and bindge their matches and then talk. Not even in those cup games where they played extra time has Bayern resorted to constantly hoofing the ball upfront.

Fracture90

Nah, case in point against Huddersfield in the first half specially. They kep pressing and we kept it pass it back till there was no other choice to lump it forward, only for them to retrieve it. Personally I don't give too much of a shit about it but we're not very good at passing the ball out from the back against any team.
Everyone that watches football and understands a bit about tactics can see that the hoofball is an integral part of our attack. Players aren't arranged wide in order to stretch pressing teams, when you have our CB's passing the ball back to the GK you don't see them running wide immediately, making themselves open for a return pass, instead knowing the GK will hoof it long. Mourinho's fascination with tall players and us having a robust, old school type of anchor CF upfront .

Your point is valid, some people either don't see it in our games or they refuse to acknowledge it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Love this new experts in game saying a record winning manager stupid a how they seems to know better.
Well to be fair, They have won as much if not more than Jose Mourinho... in Football Manager and Pro Evolution Soccer

Womp

idiot
Case in point is you saying it's our tactic against all opposition, but then using an example from one half of a game, in which they played a style that hoofball is notoriously good at nullifying. How many of the two goals we scored against Huddersfield came from hoofballs? I'll save you the time, not a single one.

Also on your point about us not being able to play out from the back, I agree with you. Don't really think that's down to tactics as much as it is our defenders being shite on the ball. Even under LVG who was obsessed with that posession tripe, Blind was the only defender we had who was really good at playing the ball out from the back, Smalling always use to scare me on the ball. Bailly is okay on the ball, so too Lindelof, but one has struggled to settle in and the other has been injured for the majority of the season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Case in point is you saying it's our tactic against all opposition, but then using an example from one half of a game, in which they played a style that hoofball is notoriously good at nullifying. How many of the two goals we scored against Huddersfield came from hoofballs? I'll save you the time, not a single one.
I think it was obvious what @kouroux was saying. We will play long ball against any team who presses us, whereas Pep did against the best team in Europe at pressing. Also not that we will play only long ball but that's out primary way to beat the press.

Maybe I'm wrong, so open to correction here.

Status
Not open for further replies.