Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno

6 super teams when there wasn't a title race since City won beating Liverpool?

SAF competed against the teams where many players had legit claim to be in all time PL 11 or squad.

Arsenal team had players like Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Vieira, Cole, Campbell,

Then he competed against Chelsea with players like Cech, Terry, Carvalho, Cole, Essien, Makelele, Lampard, Drogba.

PL peak was in last 2000s when 3 teams made Semi finals of CL more than once. ManUtd won 3 league titles.

Also that Liverpool team had Torres, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascha.

This SAF had to deal with 1-2 teams is just laughable, he didn't have to deal as he was way ahead of anyone. Just like Pep and how he is not dealing with 5 teams.
So you're saying SAF competed against Arsenal, so 1 team, then you said he competed with Chelsea, 1 team, you've included Liverpool, hence I said 1-2 teams. You've basically just agreed with me, yet you say it's laughable.

Pep isn't dealing with 5 teams, he's dealing with none, it's been a walk in the park for City. But United are currently having to contend with City being ahead of them, and battle to victory against Chelsea whereby if we lost would have been 1 point ahead of 5th place Spurs. So I count that as 5 teams, not even mentioning Arsenal.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It's a bit amusing that people think these opinions are based on one or two matches, and changes every weekend.
Its amusing that this is an assessments thread yet only negative bullshit gets posted in here. Posters like you hide when we win and come out in force when we dont.

Giggs86

Poll needs another option.

Yes he made improvements, yes we have stagnated, but I wouldn't sack him regardless of what happens until the end of the season.

He got my full support for his third season.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Its amusing that this is an assessments thread yet only negative bullshit gets posted in here. Posters like you hide when we win and come out in force when we dont.
Absurd claim. It's not like we're talking a player performance thread, we're talking about a manager and performances over a longer period of time. The same problems that were mentioned yesterday, the day before, and the day before that again are still valid issues. There was nothing in todays performance that represents a significant change to any of it.

Again, it's pretty fecking amusing that some expect opinions to instantly change depending on a good result against Chelsea, it's somewhat narrow minded and completely ignores everything that is written about our attacking football.

Jonno

Tough match today, and Mourinho proved he's still got it. He played a narrow 4-2-2-2 pretty much to nullify Hazard and co - one of the Premier Leagues best players, nullified so much he got substituted. He had a bigger pair of balls than Conte today who pretty much tried to change tactics to cling on to the draw. Well played Mourinho,

Di Maria's angel

Absurd claim. It's not like we're talking a player performance thread, we're talking about a manager and performances over a longer period of time. The same problems that were mentioned yesterday, the day before, and the day before that again are still valid issues. There was nothing in todays performance that represents a significant change to any of it.

Again, it's pretty fecking amusing that some expect opinions to instantly change depending on a good result against Chelsea, it's somewhat narrow minded and completely ignores everything that is written about our attacking football.
Well, I guess, therein lies the issue. If a performance like today's does represent some change, you're doomed.

Surely a performance such as the one we witnessed today could be illustrate signs of a positive change going into the future. Many of the suggested reasons as to why we've been under par recently could have been resolved, such as the form of Matic and Pogba, Lukaku's confidence, Pogba position in our team etc. But you seem too stubborn to acknowledge so continue rambling about what you find amusing.

Jonno

I think he was alluding more towards the comments that Mourinho is past it as a manager, that he can't win big games, that he can't get his sides to take their game to opponents, etc, etc, etc. Yet now he has, once again proven he still has it and he can still outclass managers in these games. So when he does prove this, where do the posters go who claim he can't do it? They go into hiding until the next time.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I liked what I saw today, particularly in the second half, where we finally looked like those great attacking players we've got in our side had been given license to unleash their quality. It didn't all come together, but we like much more threatening than we've done in a while, and against another "top team" that was pleasing to see. I hope this is something he explores further, and manages to build on. If we can just find some sort of attacking flow, we'll be good.

The most pleasing thing to my eyes today, however, was they way we responded after taking the lead. Instead of accepting Chelsea's momentum as a law of nature, and subsequently dropping deep to try and absorb the pressure, we managed to press them much higher up, and pretty much choke their attempt at gaining any momentum in search of an equaliser. We looked far more convincing doing this than Mourinho's regular approach, so I really hope that he saw the same thing and uses these tactics when leading in the future. So, so much better to watch, too!

Edit: On account of the second point in particular, I'm flabbergasted by those who claim that today showed nothing new. It's a markedly different approach from Mourinho compared to what we've seen him do for us. We have top hope that it can indicates a change for the better.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Well, I guess, therein lies the issue. If a performance like today's does represent some change, you're doomed.

Surely a performance such as the one we witnessed today could be illustrate signs of a positive change going into the future. Many of the suggested reasons as to why we've been under par recently could have been resolved, such as the form of Matic and Pogba, Lukaku's confidence, Pogba position in our team etc. But you seem too stubborn to acknowledge so continue rambling about what you find amusing.
We had one crap first half and one very good second half, in a match that could've easily ended with a draw, and you seem surprised that people haven't suddenly changed their minds about something that has been debated for the majority of the season ? Just expecting people to change their minds on the basis of one match, when the complaints are based on the majority of the season and how we set out to play, is absurd.

R'hllor

2nd half performance was much better, 1st half on other hand, not sure what that was. 3 important points for us, there isnt anything negative in a win, performance and other issues arent related to final result.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sevilla getting hammered 4-0 at home to Atletico Madrid.. They aren't that great. Mourinho was just overly cautious and negative before the game. Sure, we were low on confidence and whatever, but he basically let them dominate.

Then today. We're home against a team we are better then but is competing for the same thing as us, and if we win we can open up a huge gap. And we start off the game so negatively, the whole first half basically just playing to contain and react to what they do rather then set out to dominate and be the team who takes the front foot. That is what Mourinho's biggest flaw is. He always reacts but never trusts his team to take the front foot and just be the better side and get a good win because they are better. Today we did that in the 2nd half after playing poorly in the first half but being 1-1. Second half we controlled and deserved the win. In Sevilla, instead of setting out to control the game and get a win, we basically just let them keep the ball and go for a 0-0 with barely any attacking threat. If he wants to be seen as a big success here long term, that simply has to change. He has to be braver and take the front foot in games and give us the confidence that we can go and outplay a big team, and not just essentially feck around and wait to be beaten like we often do.

Womp

idiot
2nd half performance was much better, 1st half on other hand, not sure what that was. 3 important points for us, there isnt anything negative in a win, performance and other issues arent related to final result.
I agree, for some reason we just look poor when Martial and Sanchez are playing together, even with Martial playing from the left today. We looked much better when Martial came off tbh.

bosnian_red

It's all potential change. We hope that Mourinho will go in big games with a more positive attitude and look to take the front foot, control games, push forward and make things happen. Til now, he's always ceded possession and been content to try and counter attack teams even though we are awful at that (both offensively and defensively). As a team we both attack and defend better when on the front foot, so that's what he needs to do.

Individual improvements, takes more then 1 game to change the general consensus. All it can do is give us hope that they can carry on in a similar fashion (even though today was far from perfect and plenty of space to improve - but it's a start). But it's too soon to all of a sudden say it's all "fixed", when in a month or 2 we could just go right back to a 4-2-3-1 with pogba in the 2 looking a mess away to Man City and Lukaku not having a sniff and people playing around Matic like nothing. Takes more then 1 game to make it "real".

R'hllor

I agree, for some reason we just look poor when Martial and Sanchez are playing together, even with Martial playing from the left today. We looked much better when Martial came off tbh.
I had some issues with a stream but didnt Martial play like a striker with Lukaku? I mean, he barely played solo striker this season, guess you also have to have some understanding with your partnering team mate upfront. Not trying to excuse him, there were moments when he was on LW position but at the start at least he looked tucked in more in a middle.

Got his assist even with poor game and it clearly meant a lot to him by his celebration, we will never know but maybe JM shouldnt mess with him when he was in form and just put Sanchez on the right from get go.

Rajma

Sevilla getting hammered 4-0 at home to Atletico Madrid.. They aren't that great. Mourinho was just overly cautious and negative before the game. Sure, we were low on confidence and whatever, but he basically let them dominate.

Then today. We're home against a team we are better then but is competing for the same thing as us, and if we win we can open up a huge gap. And we start off the game so negatively, the whole first half basically just playing to contain and react to what they do rather then set out to dominate and be the team who takes the front foot. That is what Mourinho's biggest flaw is. He always reacts but never trusts his team to take the front foot and just be the better side and get a good win because they are better. Today we did that in the 2nd half after playing poorly in the first half but being 1-1. Second half we controlled and deserved the win. In Sevilla, instead of setting out to control the game and get a win, we basically just let them keep the ball and go for a 0-0 with barely any attacking threat. If he wants to be seen as a big success here long term, that simply has to change. He has to be braver and take the front foot in games and give us the confidence that we can go and outplay a big team, and not just essentially feck around and wait to be beaten like we often do.
Makes my blood boil that we didn't even try to have a go at Sevilla, and now instead we rely on ref not fecking it up, on lucky fortunes not playing part for Sevilla or whatever shit in the return leg as it is a one off game and we arrive with no advantage.

Utdstar01

Jose gave some kid his managerial notes on the way off the pitch at FT. Be interesting to see what they said.

Di Maria's angel

It's all potential change. We hope that Mourinho will go in big games with a more positive attitude and look to take the front foot, control games, push forward and make things happen. Til now, he's always ceded possession and been content to try and counter attack teams even though we are awful at that (both offensively and defensively). As a team we both attack and defend better when on the front foot, so that's what he needs to do.

Individual improvements, takes more then 1 game to change the general consensus. All it can do is give us hope that they can carry on in a similar fashion (even though today was far from perfect and plenty of space to improve - but it's a start). But it's too soon to all of a sudden say it's all "fixed", when in a month or 2 we could just go right back to a 4-2-3-1 with pogba in the 2 looking a mess away to Man City and Lukaku not having a sniff and people playing around Matic like nothing. Takes more then 1 game to make it "real".
I just don't think that'll happen. He has a method to approach these games, which haven't worked as well as we'd like, however, there's an improvement from what we witnessed last season. Also, we'd don't have to improve considerably to get to the level which will see us challenging for the league (which is my opinion). Just to clarify, I don't think it's fixed but it isn't farfetched to suggest that a solution may have been identified.

Last edited:

Ban

I just don't think that'll happen. He has a method to approach these games, which haven't worked as well as we'd like, however, there's an improvement from what we witnessed last season. Also, we'd don't have to improve considerably to get to the level which will see us challenging for the league (which is my opinion). Just to clarify, I don't think it's fixed but it is farfetched to suggest that a solution may have been identified.
On a side note. What the hell is your tagline about. Your posts are always good, knowledgeable and mostly positive.

bosnian_red

I just don't think that'll happen. He has a method to approach these games, which haven't worked as well as we'd like, however, there's an improvement from what we witnessed last season. Also, we'd don't have to improve considerably to get to the level which will see us challenging for the league (which is my opinion). Just to clarify, I don't think it's fixed but it is farfetched to suggest that a solution may have been identified.
And that's why people are still complaining though. We beat Chelsea in a game of 2 halves. First half was awful, and we set up like how he wants, to contain, and try to counter. Second half we set up to dominate the ball and be proactive and try to win. The 2nd half was good. If he reverts back to type and we set up to contain when we play home to Liverpool days before we play home to Sevilla, it'll be a mess. Because we are awful at it. Mourinho might like it, maybe in the past he could do it effectively, but the only thing he's shown in 20 months with us so far is that he can't get them to be an organized defensive unit when we attempt to park the bus. We can defend pretty well as a team if we are more on the front foot, but we are awful the second we go in contain mode and lose all semblance of composure.

Eddy_JukeZ

Putrid 1st half.

Improved in the 2nd half.

I just wish we had a more proactive manager, but it is what it is.

Just hope we can stay top 4.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I think the poll is not well considered - there should be an option 2 along the lines of jury still out/prepared to give him benefit of doubt/so far, so good

parkthebuslads

Results like today's have the potential to confuse the issue and misrepresent reality. We were poor. They were worst. Nothing has changed.

Trizy

Results like today's have the potential to confuse the issue and misrepresent reality. We were poor. They were worst. Nothing has changed.
I mentioned it prior to the match that we'll either draw cause we crap or win and give us another false dawn.

We were poor for large parts today, a better team would've beaten us.

Ban

I mentioned it prior to the match that we'll either draw cause we crap or win and give us another false dawn.

We were poor for large parts today, a better team would've beaten us.
There's really no hope for you and the poster you quoted. If you didn't see anything positive in today's game. I'm not saying it's some big change but generally we had a good game.
Or every time we win it will be cause the team we've beaten was the worst... You made up your mind I guess.

Canagel

Obviously a great result for us today and I'll give Jose credit for his in game management. His subs were fantastic and I liked he managed the game in different phases. We were more confident and aggressive 2nd and whatever he told the players worked. However I still have a lot of concerns. Our attack still isn't performing to its full capability. We won the game but Sanchez didn't play his best game. Martial didn't play his best game and Pogba didn't play his best game. Lukaku for 35 minutes was also struggling. We can do a lot more than what we show on the pitch. It's Jose's job to find the best tactical setup which can get the best out of these players because we still look clueless at times. We have the potential to strike fear into any team with these players but we aren't going to unless Jose changes his approach.

Di Maria's angel

And that's why people are still complaining though. We beat Chelsea in a game of 2 halves. First half was awful, and we set up like how he wants, to contain, and try to counter. Second half we set up to dominate the ball and be proactive and try to win. The 2nd half was good. If he reverts back to type and we set up to contain when we play home to Liverpool days before we play home to Sevilla, it'll be a mess. Because we are awful at it. Mourinho might like it, maybe in the past he could do it effectively, but the only thing he's shown in 20 months with us so far is that he can't get them to be an organized defensive unit when we attempt to park the bus. We can defend pretty well as a team if we are more on the front foot, but we are awful the second we go in contain mode and lose all semblance of composure.
We don't set out to dominate the ball, per say. We look to win the ball back from certain areas of the pitch, mainly our half and then hit a team on the counter. It was what brought about the success we saw earlier in the season, albeit against poorer opposition. I don't there'll be many, if any, games against the top 6 teams where we'll look to dominate the ball. I agree with the general consensus regarding the game of two halves, if we turn up like we did in the 2nd half against Liverpool, Arsenal and City, we can win them all. I do think the message is clear from the outset but the players seem to struggle to translate it until the 2nd half as we saw against Huddersfield in the FA cup game - I think we've been down on confidence but the win today should give us a lot of belief.

We actually defended very well today, especially in the latter stages where you felt that a Leicester like capitulation wasn't going to occur.

Di Maria's angel

I find this a little odd since they were heralded as the bestest side ever after their performance against Barcelona??

Tom Van Persie

No relation
We were not poor. We got to a very slow start but after Chelsea scored our performance picked up and we were great in the 2nd half. You have to remember who we were playing, Chelsea can be a very hard team to beat. Mourinho got it tactically spot on today.

Last edited:

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
The game plan is clear - win the ball and go for counter. I think that the strategy fits the players well. The biggest issue is that we don't transition from defense to attack with enough consistency.

Sylar

We won a big game after conceding first.
This is what we wanna see. Im hoping he keeps the same set up going forward and doesnt go about changing things. From now until end of season, I think we need some semblance of a pattern which will set us up for next season.

Jonno

Let's not confuse the issue and misrepresent reality that 'nothing has changed'.

We move into pole position to finish 2nd in the league, have a good CL and FA Cup run, potentially win some silverware before re-strengthening in the summer .... I'd say things are changing. When was the last time we finished in the top 3? FIVE years ago

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So you're saying SAF competed against Arsenal, so 1 team, then you said he competed with Chelsea, 1 team, you've included Liverpool, hence I said 1-2 teams. You've basically just agreed with me, yet you say it's laughable.

Pep isn't dealing with 5 teams, he's dealing with none, it's been a walk in the park for City. But United are currently having to contend with City being ahead of them, and battle to victory against Chelsea whereby if we lost would have been 1 point ahead of 5th place Spurs. So I count that as 5 teams, not even mentioning Arsenal.
No I didn't. PL doesn't have 5 super teams. There wasn't a title race since City won in 2013-14.

parkthebuslads

Let's not confuse the issue and misrepresent reality that 'nothing has changed'.

We move into pole position to finish 2nd in the league, have a good CL and FA Cup run, potentially win some silverware before re-strengthening in the summer .... I'd say things are changing. When was the last time we finished in the top 3? FIVE years ago
Fair point! I should have been more precise with my post and perhaps a tad less glib. Regardless, I certainly hope to be proven wrong.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That was a overall good performance from a management perspective from Jose. Made good subs, turned it around after a relatively poor first half and he picked all the players we wanted him to and played a strong midfield. No complaints should be levelled at him after that game.

Handsome Devil

There's really no hope for you and the poster you quoted. If you didn't see anything positive in today's game. I'm not saying it's some big change but generally we had a good game.
Or every time we win it will be cause the team we've beaten was the worst... You made up your mind I guess.
Well said. The way we turned the game around gave me a bit of a glow yesterday. Even when we put four past teams earlier in the season, according to some, it was "only because they were crap teams." I agree with you, there really is no hope for posters who seem to revel in the negativity.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Didn't start well but played well in second half. His sub was positive and ended up as game winner.

Also he isn't stubborn, now shifted to 3 man midfield which is good to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.