Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He got the most important game of our season very, very wrong. Top 4 will save him but I'm expecting a massive improvement in our side next year. Our midfield is a joke.

podurban2

Get him the feck out. He will NEVER learn to keep a formation consistent. Will feck it up as soon as shit’s on the line (see Fellaini-plan, switching wings, etc). Just sack him, want to punch him it’s so frustrating to watch this nonsense.

Roboc7

Got it wrong in both legs, tonight was an embarrassment and sums up why we have no chance of catching city next season.

Cliche Guevara

Can’t defend that.

His methods are controversial but while we’re getting the results I can cope. That’s a bad one, though. It’s actually upsetting to watch.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Why is everyone so upset? This is the exact Jose performance that has won us the last 3 games. Coming from behind to beat a very good Crystal Palace after all. We were unlucky to concede tonight and but for that we had a chance to put them out on penalties.

Make sure not to knee-jerk about this because this is how we've played for the majority of the season. No shame in losing out to a very good Sevilla side.

We go again.

Edit: can we reopen my thread now?
We were only going to win on penalties with a 0-0 and our defending for the second goal was dreadful - relying on penalties was always a terrible approach considering it essentially involved ensuring not one goal was scored in 120 minutes. That Sevilla team really wasn't all that impressive - just happened to be up against an even worse one tonight. There'll be extreme reactions no doubt but I'm baffled at how anyone can come away thinking that wasn't a really poor performance.

NK86

If the Board don't ask some very tough questions after this performance and shambolic result, then Woodward needs to get sacked before Mourinho.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Hope he learns from this. We played like it was against Real or Barca. Play passive in Europe's top competition and you're gonna get murked.

Fellaini should have been hooked at half time Martial should have been on by 60 at the latest and Sanchez on the left is pissng me off.

E-mal

Ultimately there is a philosophical disconnect between the fans/players and the manager.
By all means defend against Barcelona but fecking Sevilla? We can't continue watching this brand of football.
Is time someone gets his P45

Sanchez7

Serious questions need to be asked. Why is it that other top quality managers seem to be able to make players that were deemed ordinary look and play at a higher level(walker, dembele, otamendi to name a few)? Jose has players such as Pogba, Martial and Sanchez and yet they are underperforming.

We have no recognisable system. For example under Fergie you knew we would try and get balls in from the wing and get strikers in the box. Mourinho just seems to be relying on a moment of magic.

Also it's a disgrace that someone like Fellaini has managed to spend 5 seasons at this club. I am all for having a great attitude and work-ethic but it can only take you so far.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Should have gone for it in the first half. Oh well!
You're giving him a pass here mate, his approach to the whole tie has been utter shambles.

I'm happy for him to get another year, but this looks very bad on him. Fans even turned on the team tonight, not a good sign

Captain Obvious

Booooooooooooo. I was a Mourinho defender but im sick of these goddamn grinds against all teams regardless of how good they are.

ITS BECAUSE of those tactics that we decided to try for a 1-0 and cost us the goals. If it was Sir Alex or even Moyes they wouldn't have left it 0-0 until after 160 mins in the leg.

Sick of him and Pogba

Ace of Spades

That was just dire, boring football. Our team still looks like a bunch of individuals thrown together, with no defined identity and style.

We have the quality to beat fecking Sevilla over two legs at least, instead we were out played in both games and looked the inferior side.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Played for the 1-0 which was always dangerous. If it was Real or Barca I could understand the tactics but we were afraid of attacking fecking Sevilla. Unacceptable.

Donnie Brasco

We were absolutely as good as that Sevilla team quality wise and had enough resources to beat them. And quite frankly if we didn't then that's a failing on Mourinho's part considering what he's spent here so far. He shouldn't be sacked because we've improved under him but I'm not sure why anyone would even attempt to shift any blame away from him after that shite performance.
No, if you watch the game they have technically better players than us. Players that can play under pressure or when pressed.

We have a bunch of limited technical players. The world richest club and you have failed wingers starting as fullbacks. Rashford shouldn't be starting for us.

Ryan7

Pathetic from Mourinho. Our attacking play is woeful. His best days are long gone. His tactics in the first leg were appalling against a team of Sevilla's quality.

Unfortunately, the club are mugs when it comes to managers (Moyes and Van Gaal should have gone way before they did) so he is going nowhere.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Probably the first time I've questioned him tonight. No matter how much we improve in the summer, if he is going to go with tactics like these in the knockouts we'll routinely struggle.

Handré1990

Difficult to make an assessment on the back of such a dissappointing result and performance, but it does occur to me that either Mourinho sets us up too defencively, or he’s not getting his message across to the players.

I’m not opposed to playing compact and with a focus on defensive structure, but there absolutely has to be a good mix between attack and defence no matter how you look at it. This is something we have failed miserably at. I also think it’s something that has to be worked at in both training- and match situations, which it appears, based on two seasons with him in charge, we 1. doesn’t really do, or 2. Does very poorly.

Either way, this is on him, imo. Have been holding out for the hope that just maybe we would improve and get ii right after some time. I firmly believe we should play more actual football with this group of players.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He got it badly wrong tonight. However the team was prepared it was wrong. The tactics were predictable. After 20 minutes Sevilla adapted by just closing down the big men. We had no idea after that.

Treble

2014 Atleti at home 1:4
2015 PSG (10 men) home 2:2
2018 Sevilla home 1:2

He's well past it in the CL. Can't beat good teams even at home. Very doubtful he can win the EPL too.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We were absolutely as good as that Sevilla team quality wise and had enough resources to beat them. And quite frankly if we didn't then that's a failing on Mourinho's part considering what he's spent here so far. He shouldn't be sacked because we've improved under him but I'm not sure why anyone would even attempt to shift any blame away from him after that shite performance.
Improving isn't a reason to keep someone because we need to keep in mind that the previous managers underachieved. The question is whether we are currently in line with our expectations or if we are still underachieving. The first proposition give him time while the second should get him sacked depending on how bad we are underachieving.

R'hllor

Its a classic, the moment any senior player became barely fit, boom, he slots him, regardless of form of replaced player. Why removing McT for Afro the moment it was possible?! Why not playing Sanchez on the right?! Bad Sanchez on left and bad Sanchez on right is same shit, Rashford scored 2 and he moves him out on the right. Why playing this FAKE 4-3-3 with Afro and Lingard in front of 3, its always the SAME, Lingard roams, Afro is all over the place looks like 4-1----------2-3.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm all for doing whatever will force him out the door quicker. Players revolt, whatever Chelsea or Real Madrid did in his last season to see him leave. fecking sick of it.

Kapardin

Getting beat by this clearly awful Sevilla side 2-1 over two legs and forfeiting the home record in the process. He shouldn't sleep for a month after subjecting us to this.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Trying too much with the tactics.. i mean come on.. mid table la liga side.. a side with such a poor away record..

Please for once try to play a game on the front foot... Too reactive, with no approach eminent for the attack.

I shed a tear when the camera locked on to SAF after the final whistle..

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I do not say this lightly and wish him all the success while he is here.
I do not think he's the right manger for us long term.
He has a fundamental flaw that imo, makes him unsuitable. For us long term.
His first instinct (regardless of who he's up against) is how he can stop the opposition from playing. What that does, it causes him to sacrifice his own team's playing ability just to stop the other team.
Once he's up against a decent footballiing side' his first instinct is to restrict his own side, so the other team don't play through his. Where this becomes a problem is that he does this even against sides that are not as talented as his(like today).
It's why Sevilla can have double our shot number over two legs, its why Chelsea. Parked the bus at home, against ten man PSG. We see it time and time in the league. He concedes possession and territory against any half decent team.

He has stabilised us but long term, its not sustainable and Mourinho will never change.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The thing that stood out for me the most tonight was how casual he was on the touchline, especially in that first half.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
No, if you watch the game they have technically better players than us. Players that can play under pressure or when pressed.

We have a bunch of limited technical players. The world richest club and you have failed wingers starting as fullbacks. Rashford shouldn't be starting for us.
Their midfield was alright but they really weren't all that incisive up front and were quite wasteful until the period when they got their two goals. We underrated them going into the tie but that exit was more down to our poor performance than their good one.

If we've got failed wingers starting as full-backs then that's Mourinho's problem to address. He's been here for two years, has literally made a signing that was a world record transfer at the time and yet our team has a few weaknesses needing addressed.

Not sure Rashford's really the problem, either - poor tonight but he's young and inconsistent, and was excellent on Saturday.

Mister_Stubbs

Cowardly manager, needs getting rid off as soon as possible now. He isn’t going to take us anywhere.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Sounds like he lost Old Trafford tonight. He certainly lost me. Said it in the post-match thread, that was the most disgraceful United performance in the post-Fergie era. Sackworthy.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Apart from his absolutely pathetic approach to the two matches against Sevilla, he's failed when it comes to having us play anything that resembles a pattern of attacking football. We depend on individuals standing out amongst a pile of not very good defending.

Gladly see him replaced at the end of the season, unfortunately it won't happen

BarstoolProphet

I'll give him one thing - he has made us so boring to watch that I barely have a pulse at the end of each match, meaning it doesn't even hurt when we lose anymore.

He only gets goodwill from grinding out results and winning trophies but he's not really good at that anymore either.

Atleast he won the war of words with Frank de Boer!

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Get him out. We are going nowhere. He'll spend a ton of money and the performances will be shite again next year. We'll grind, maybe, to top 4, and the bean counters will be happy.

Our recruitment is fecking appalling. Hire Moyes for continuity, despite an empty CV, who then fires the whole coaching staff. Then hire a possessive based coach, known for rigid structures. Sack him, and hire a defensive, counter attacking coach, known for lack of attacking structure. Just lurching from one end of the spectrum to the other.

No football people actually running this club. Woodward is great at closing deals, for both sponsors and players, but there is no coherent football strategy. We need a DoF or something similar to build a long term plan.

This has been bleak today, fecking bleak.

Rutan

He won't change his approach to games like these and that should be unacceptable at United. Get him out of there now!

S.D.R

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I've held fire on moaning about him all season but this is the fourth or fifth time he's changed a winning formula with this type of result, its becoming ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.