Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacko21

Fair play to you if you are glad he's appearing committed .

The thoughts of him being in charge next season is genuinely scary.
He's sucked the joy from the game.
How can anyone enjoy watching that shit week in week out?
Even the players look miserable .

Right fair enough play tight and narrow against big teams to try and nick the result ... not ideal but ok if you're getting results .

But every game? Why not go for the throat of the weaker teams.... why not let the players enjoy some freedom? Why not let the attacking players express themselves?
When I say 'glad' I say it in that an uncommitted Mourinho would leave us in a far worse place - we'd sink like a stone. Whereas if he has a desire for things to improve then that can only be a good thing. He has another summer in which to make further changes and at the moment in time, I'd bet on him getting things right.

Like I say, if he's properly committed, there's a decent chance that things will come good.

edgar allan

I guess the point is he said deliberately controversial stuff to steal the headlines and take the focus off the players.
True, I don't want him to throw any of the players under a bus again like he did with Shaw, Jones and Smalling last year, it is never going to help.

He could have taken the focus off the players by taking some responsibility himself? although self criticism is not something he entertains much I would suggest
Anyways Jose has his own philosophy on how to play football, he was/is never likely to deviate too far from that. We are getting pretty much what we would have expected on giving him the job.

AdNani

Having had time to calm down from last night, I’ll give my two cents, yesterday is the first time I’ve lost patience with him, that was worse than anything we’ve seen from any united side post Fergie, I’m beginning to question whether he’s the right man, I mean, give Jardim the money he’s spent, would we be this far off city? The football would most certainly be better anyway.

Had Moyes said what he said after the game we’d be calling for his head on the spot. All in all a horrific day at the office.

edgar allan

Where have I said it is? I've said all along that Van Gaals second season was abysmal and non comparable to that of this Season which some seem to disagree with.
True, albeit LVG won a trophy and it remains to be seen if we can match that this season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Anyone expecting a philosophical change cause of last night is in dreamland.
Personally, can't call for his head cause I really don't have an idea what we should do.
I don't expect us to win the league under him or a great side to magically appear but I don't expect results to fall to the level that demands he be removed.
Stuck in limbo as it were.
He is just so frightened of any team decent playing through his side and I think it's always going to be an issue in the CL as long as he's here.

Abhinav

Jose is getting a lot of flak for the defeat, maybe deservedly so. But our players are really equally if not more to blame.

Our problems really stem out of inconsistencies. Inconsitency in tactics, team selection, player performance, team performance, and that translates in some really poor results.

Even with a changed team yesterday, our players did not play to their potential. The midfield did not make themselves available for a pass out. That forced our defenders to punt it upwards and then our attackers were not able to hold it up consistently and gave the ball away during the few times they found themselves in good positions. This led to a disjointed attackig display. To top it all, our defenders had a period of 15 minutes where they lost all their composure.

Jose was to blame for starting Fellaini and Lingard and not starting Mata. The players did him no favors though. Thats why we are still a work in progress and need more time to really put up a league or CL challenge. We are making progress though. It might feel slow but it could click with more time on the training pitch during pre-season and addition of players in midfield and full back positions. I feel all the talk of sacking Jose are reactionary and do more harm than good.

E-mal

I want him gone, not because of the result but because as the days progress I find myself disinterested in the game. I just don't enjoy us watching the game.
During the struggle period of 2003-2006 we weren't winning but I had an emotional attachment to our game because we always gave a go. Now I just struggle to switch on the set and once is 90min it is always a relief.
The improvement in result and league positioning are down to better quality of players but our general play has not improved that much.

mav_9me

No, he definitely 100% wont
He'll let them off the leash against mid table teams at home or relegation fodder who put 10 men behind the ball. Anyone capable of hurting us and we'll shut up shop and play percentage football.
If that's the case I don't want him.

Having said that I don't mind him being defensive. I for one don't necessarily need swashbuckling football. What I am fine with is strong defense with a counter attacking approach. Something similar to the first half against Liverpool but I hate his second half approach. Or our approach against Sevilla.

I guess it's a balance but I can never accept the type of percentage football where Fellaini as our starting midfielder.

norm87cro

I just feel we could have had a go at it a little bit more and that Will always be my problem with Jose. Sevilla and Huddersfield (away) we're the two worst games we had all season but the one yesterday was in the CL and it left a very sour taste since we lost to a second-tier latino team with no objective chance of winning their Domestic league or the CL in a life time. So all in all bad for the moral of the team than anything else. De Gea shaking his head after the game sums it up. But really he needs this job as much as we need him. There is no better man for the job in terms of getting us back to being competitive at the very top. (Winning the league and reaching the QF or SF of the CL at least) How we do it is not really an issue when I think about LVG and Moyes

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Monaco, Dortmund, Porto, Leverkusen, Galatasary, Milan were all teams who at the time we were expected to cruise to victory over in CL play offs. Clubs that would have been about Seville level when we faced them.

We won't mention Rotor Volgograd and Bilbao in The Europa.

Fergie was able to evolve when his Euro tactics weren't working. Hopefully Mourinho too.
Dortmund, Porto and Milan (2007) went on to win it, while Leverkusen and Milan (2005) were narrowly beaten finalists. Galatasaray, as I mentioned above, were Turkish champs at a time when English football was still recovering from the post-Heydal ban (Leeds had been knocked out by Rangers the year before) - we were the unknown quantity in that tie, Fergie was at the very beginning of his learning curve in the CL.

Monaco were an excellent side, although yes we should have beaten them after drawing 0-0 away - it was a big lesson for Fergie. However we had reached the semis the previous season and won it the following year.

In any case, while yes we had many CL disappointments over the years under Fergie, there was not a single time we went into a home tie against a team of Sevilla's stature happy and willing to cede possession and control of the game to them, and barely attempt to take the initiative. Mourinho isn't an unknown quantity, we know by now that this is who he is, and in terms of our history especially under Fergie it casts him in a very negative light.

haram

If we get the same shit football and negative approach against Brighton on Saturday I'll be bringing a Mourinho Out banner to the Swansea game, I don't give a damn If I get stick for it.
You’ll look a complete fool.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Absolute nonsense.

Porto and Dortmund went on to win the damn thing.

Leverkusen lost by one goal in the final.

Are you seriously comparing that great Milan team to Sevilla?

Do you think Sevilla will get far? I certainly don’t.

In all those games we didn’t adapt a negative approach especially at home.
The disdain that show toward Monaco disgusts me, not even a mention.:nono:

It was a team with Djetou, Barthez, Sagnol, Ikpeba, Benarbia and Henry.:drool:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Was there supposed to be a drum roll or are we to fill in the blank?! OK, I'll have a go - we're 2nd and that plus an FA Cup win would still look like an improvement of sorts?
It's not an improvement.
We won 2 cups last year .
Maybe we
With Sevilla an obvious - and painful - exception we’ve been pretty good at putting weaker teams to the sword this season. Although finding a way to get the best out of Sanchez has been a bit of a spanner in the works.

Basically, you’re exaggerating. We’re not at Van Gaal levels of shit on a stick football yet. Against big teams, sure, but in the majority of games we have plenty of attacking intent. Which is why last night was such a kick in the teeth.
No not LVG levels yet but games against Huddersfield, Brighton , Wesrbrom , Newcastle , Burnley etc did nothing to get the juices flowing.... we've been scrapping for results .

There is no sign of a team that's getting better as the weeks go by.
I'd have thought the recent league results would have had lads buoyant with confidence . But no it was the opposite .

McGrathsipan

When I say 'glad' I say it in that an uncommitted Mourinho would leave us in a far worse place - we'd sink like a stone. Whereas if he has a desire for things to improve then that can only be a good thing. He has another summer in which to make further changes and at the moment in time, I'd bet on him getting things right.

Like I say, if he's properly committed, there's a decent chance that things will come good.
Hmmm.... I get your angle but I'm not sure things will come good under him .
He has improved the playing staff. I'll give him that

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's not an improvement.
Maybe we

No not LVG levels yet but games against Huddersfield, Brighton , Wesrbrom , Newcastle , Burnley etc did nothing to get the juices flowing.... we've been scrapping for results .

I'd have thought the recent league results would have had lads buoyant with confidence . But no it was the opposite .
Yeah, that’s the big worry alright.

NoLogo

Never was a fan of him and his football. Hoped we would see what his Real Team offered but feared for shitty, boring, negative football that would only excused because he wins things and we got what I feared without the winning anything of not part. So save to say this turned out worse than I was hoping.

Of course there is hoping for next season and that the team will finally click and get José and we will finally win a big trophy again but I have to admit it's very little hope.

Roeindo

Why he insisted playing Fellaini when he had Pogba in the bench. That decision alone was not a sign of a good tactic after all.

Even as a neutral knew, it wasnot going to work with Fellaini and Matic combo in midfield.

Last night result has shown that our recent result was heavily depended on individual brilliance and luck and not form a good tactic.

2cents

Scout
The disdain that show toward Monaco disgusts me, not even a mention.:nono:

It was a team with Djetou, Barthez, Sagnol, Ikpeba, Benarbia and Henry.:drool:
And Trezeguet!

Handré1990

Anyone expecting a philosophical change cause of last night is in dreamland.
Personally, can't call for his head cause I really don't have an idea what we should do.
I don't expect us to win the league under him or a great side to magically appear but I don't expect results to fall to the level that demands he be removed.
Stuck in limbo as it were.

He is just so frightened of any team decent playing through his side and I think it's always going to be an issue in the CL as long as he's here.
I’ve had these exact thoughts! It’s been a day since the game and I’ve just decided I have no faith in him getting us to the next level. He has done a good job of steadying the ship, but I expect more at this point. We have much better players than when he arrived imo, now we need someone who can assemble the parts.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It's not an improvement.
Maybe we

Yeah, I don't genuinely see any major improvement but I just wanted to finish his question. The league position has improved (so far) but the football's no better and we may very well end up with no trophies. Feels like we're sleepwalking towards no particular destination.

McGrathsipan

Yeah, I don't genuinely see any major improvement but I just wanted to finish his question. The league position has improved (so far) but the football's no better and we may very well end up with no trophies. Feels like we're sleepwalking towards no particular destination.
Totally .

I know you can't expect champagne football all the time but Jesus it would be nice for us to go out and win 6 or 7 nil once or twice in a blue moon.
Just take the feckin shackles off.
Maybe if and when CL qualification is secured he should just let them off the leash....

442 and smash a few goals in on one or 3 teams

ForeverUnited93

He may get results sometimes but the way we play is fecking boring to watch, and this style won’t have us challenging for a PL or CL title anytime soon. We’ve been a basket case for nearly 5 years now post Fergie, he may have us 2nd in the league but ffs we are nearly 20pts behind City, not even contending!!

Not a good fit.

podurban2

Nzonzi:

"Even myself, I thought they were going to press a little bit more, but the first 20 minutes we saw that we could keep the ball, we could play our possession game the way we like and we just kept going until the end."

Jose Mourinho. Get fecked.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Dortmund, Porto and Milan (2007) went on to win it, while Leverkusen and Milan (2005) were narrowly beaten finalists. Galatasaray, as I mentioned above, were Turkish champs at a time when English football was still recovering from the post-Heydal ban (Leeds had been knocked out by Rangers the year before) - we were the unknown quantity in that tie, Fergie was at the very beginning of his learning curve in the CL.

Monaco were an excellent side, although yes we should have beaten them after drawing 0-0 away - it was a big lesson for Fergie. However we had reached the semis the previous season and won it the following year.

In any case, while yes we had many CL disappointments over the years under Fergie, there was not a single time we went into a home tie against a team of Sevilla's stature happy and willing to cede possession and control of the game to them, and barely attempt to take the initiative. Mourinho isn't an unknown quantity, we know by now that this is who he is, and in terms of our history especially under Fergie it casts him in a very negative light.
That's the thing. We were pretty bad back when we lost to Milan in 2005 and they were probably the best team in Europe so it wasn't comparable at all. When we were humiliated by them in 2007 at San Siro we actually had a great game against them at OT before that and they had the advantage of being able to rest players in the league where they sat 4th with no chance to do anything.

We played Sevilla team that is badly out of form, whose manager might soon be on the verge of getting fired, who have not had a properly good game in ages and conceded five goals to Atletico at home and to Eibar away during the last month. They would have been an underdog against ALL other teams that reached the knockout stages yet we approached both legs as if we were playing against top form Barcelona 2011. It was one of the most ridiculous approaches I have ever witnessed from a supposedly big club.

I defended Mourinho a lot but here is absolutely zero excuse to what we did yesterday. It was a game I will never forget because of how utterly strange our attitude towards it was. Playing like an underdog when you are actually an underdog can be justified and sometimes even wise, facing a weak, out of form team and doing what we did is inexcusable.

Adisa

I’ve had these exact thoughts! It’s been a day since the game and I’ve just decided I have no faith in him getting us to the next level. He has done a good job of steadying the ship, but I expect more at this point. We have much better players than when he arrived imo, now we need someone who can assemble the parts.
I have no faith in him either. As long as he's here, I wish him well and hope we get results. Don't have any expectation of the football improving. If he's says ked tomorrow, I wouldn't care and I wouldn't miss him.
My faith in him has been ebbing away for a couple of months now. I keep asking myself, how can so many attacking players be so poor at the same time, how can our play lack energy and be so pedestrian, how come we find it so difficult to put teams under pressure?
Becomes even more upsetting when I see managers with lesser players delivering those things.
I don't buy into Mourinho, I won't call for his head.
I'm just going through the motions.

Adisa

Nzonzi:

"Even myself, I thought they were going to press a little bit more, but the first 20 minutes we saw that we could keep the ball, we could play our possession game the way we like and we just kept going until the end."

Jose Mourinho. Get fecked.
Damning.
Allowing Sevilla to play a possession game at Old Trafford...fecking Sevilla!

2cents

Scout
That's the thing. We were pretty bad back when we lost to Milan in 2005 and they were probably the best team in Europe so it wasn't comparable at all. When we were humiliated by them in 2007 at San Siro we actually had a great game against them at OT before that and they had the advantage of being able to rest players in the league where they sat 4th with no chance to do anything.

We played Sevilla team that is badly out of form, whose manager might soon be on the verge of getting fired, who have not had a properly good game in ages and conceded five goals to Atletico at home and to Eibar away during the last month. They would have been an underdog against ALL other teams that reached the knockout stages yet we approached both legs as if we were playing against top form Barcelona 2011. It was one of the most ridiculous approaches I have ever witnessed from a supposedly big club.

I defended Mourinho a lot but here is absolutely zero excuse to what we did yesterday. It was a game I will never forget because of how utterly strange our attitude towards it was. Playing like an underdog when you are actually an underdog can be justified and sometimes even wise, facing a weak, out of form team and doing what we did is inexcusable.
Yup. Our CL exits under Fergie tended to be a result of tactical naïveté, bad luck, a combination of both, or simply coming up against a better team. None of them were down to pure negativity and cowardice.

3KDré

Yup. Our CL exits under Fergie tended to be a result of tactical naïveté, bad luck, a combination of both, or simply coming up against a better team. None of them were down to pure negativity and cowardice.
Not to mention, Ferguson would be winning league titles when we left the CL early.

Handré1990

I have no faith in him either. As long as he's here, I wish him well and hope we get results. Don't have any expectation of the football improving. If he's says ked tomorrow, I wouldn't care and I wouldn't miss him.
My faith in him has been ebbing away for a couple of months now. I keep asking myself, how can so many attacking players be so poor at the same time, how can our play lack energy and be so pedestrian, how come we find it so difficult to put teams under pressure?
Becomes even more upsetting when I see managers with lesser players delivering those things.
I don't buy into Mourinho, I won't call for his head.
I'm just going through the motions.
Yeah, it’s all a bit tiring. In addition to the points you made we’ve rarely (ever?) had two-three games in a row with good play, I mean convincing football, not «solid defencive play». Makes me feel like it just isn’t possible under current management.

LJJT

We’ve massively cocked this up since Fergie retired. It was all in place, just needed one man to come in and keep the regime going, but we ripped it all up and now we are knackered. Jose is not suited to us. Bring in the class of 92. Let’s get some standards back rather than the crap we are subjected to now

rotherham_red

Through everything in the past two seasons my belief in Mourinho and the team has been relentless. Not one time did I doubt him - he always found a way. I know he’s taking the team in a better direction than any other potential manager out there (except Guardiola). However, last nights game for the first time ever really shook me. He was arrogant beyond belief. He was riding the high of outclassing chelsea and Liverpool and forgot to humble himself for last nights game. He took a very calculated approach to the Sevilla game based on pure arrogance.

Now this has not swayed me away from him because with all Mourinhos success you must accept this side of him. I just didn’t expect him to not stay humble. Disappointed.
This is 100% my thoughts as well. I sincerely want to believe in him, because the alternative simply doesn't bear thinking about but he's really making it hard for me to do so.

If his bullshit preening necessitates us letting Pogba &/or Martial go, then that is the red kine for me and he would have no way back, IMO.

Stacks

Under Fergie we were frequently dumped out of Europe by small clubs such as Leverkusen, Lille, Galatasary even though we had a team full of superstars.

We're 2nd in the league above some excellent teams like Liverpool, tottenham, Chelsea.

Mourinho will silence doubters next season and he clearly needs a few more of the hard working types of players that thrive in his systems vefore he can build a ptoper Jose team.
I'm unsure as to what seasons this happened but I know Leverkusen got the the final and were a top side in Germany. How often did we get outplayed over 2 legs by a average team? They are 30 points off the top and been beaten 11 times in the league. Chelsea and Tottenham are not excellent and have both been dumped out same stage. Liverpool are overrated.

Roboc7

I think for you expect means - you want him gone. If he is in top 4, he stays.
He implodes even when he is winning titles, can’t see that happening here so I don’t see him lasting longer than one more season.

He won’t do a Wenger and sleep walk through top 4 finishes, he won’t take blame if things don’t improve and will fall out with anyone and everyone.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
One very fair question that I've seen here and there: What is the point of Jose Mourinho at Manchester United? Miguel Delaney (I know...) said it on twitter, but it's pretty much a waste of everyone's time at this point. He's not going to play a style we're ever happy with. He's not building towards a side to dominate in the future, not building an attacking side which is needed at United, and he's definitely not the manager anybody would bring in to have a big rebuild and build a team to dominate in the future. He's supposed to be all about winning now. But even if he did win, yeah, we'd be happy in the end, after an awful grind before hand. But the thing is, he's nowhere close to winning and nobody can seriously say he'll be close next season. He's still a good manager but just not suited to United at all and it's just a waste of time basically. Move on and it'll be best for all. It'll be almost like a relief when he leaves that we can finally move on as a club and look forward to attacking football, hopefully.

PoTMS

You're right, he is wasting everyone's damm time. We are destined to become the next Liverpool/Milan. We have too much money to be as shit as them but we're pretty close. I'd only Fergie would do a Heynckes although in the long run, it may do more harm than good. I honestly can't see where this rot (of the club) stops. Mourinho isn't going anywhere nor is he winning any league title or Champions League anytime soon. FA Cups and Europa Leagues are all very well and good except I couldn't give a feck about either of those titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.