Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

redflair

My worry is that he's not really been able to get the best out of some of the attacking players he already has - and that any new signings - will find his safe, sterile and cautious appraoch to games even more bewildering.

I hope I'm wrong - but some of the players we already have - must have stellar seasons in 2018/19 in order to, even remotely, think of a title challenge.

Otherwise, it's not going to happen. To think that new players are going to do it is pie in the sky.

Speedicut75

Mourinho will have spent about 500m at the end of the transfer window. Of,course there's no guarantee but the general consensus is we are liiking at another 150m+ spend.
You don't spend that kind of money to just come top 4.
I must have the wrong info, but I thought we'd spent £280m thus far under Mou? City have spent £448m, so there's no doubt that they will hurtle past the half billion mark.

rotherham_red

Yeah Woodward has to shoulder some of the blame too, we need a clear direction. I don't think he has a long term plan for the club other than to make hollywood signings.
I don't really blame Woodward, he's done everything he can to get in the targets Jose wanted. The problem is that Jose is in charge of the overall football philosophy. Woody is just the man who facilitates it. If he had an enterprising and proactive manager, we'd be seeing something potentially amazing developing at OT. Our resources are larger than pretty much everyone else's - marry that with a coach who plays decent, attacking football and we'd be right up there. Right now, I can see that Jose isn't that man.

AndyJ1985

Let's not fool ourselves. We'll spend another fortune this summer and we'll still play shit boring football. The style comes from the manager, not from the amount of money spent. Until he's gone there's going to be very little enjoyment found when watching United.

Canagel

Bellamy made an intresting statement last night. If this was Real Madrid you’d invested so much and the manager was this far off of Barca come the end of the season he’d be gone, doesn’t matter who he is.
Of course. Real Madrid board and fans would be hurt to spend such money and play like we do. Mourinho would be hounded out of the club if they had a season like ours. We don't act like a big club though so he'll get another summer of heavy spending to come nowhere near the PL or CL. The board are only interested in making profits. As long as we are in top 4 that's all they care about. I feel like we are in danger of becoming the new Arsenal. The results don't mean much if we can't see signs that things will possibly click with a few adjustments here and there. Even Pep said he was lucky not to be sacked after City's trophy less season last year. He said if it was a big club he would've been sacked. And that's him being humble actually because City were very good at times last season but just missed the last few details. We have no direction or clue after two years of big spending and people think that a few signings will rectify everything. Prepare to be very dissapointed next season.

Last edited:

ZombieFootball

This type of performance is nothing new, we have continued to play worse football as the season has progressed. How can a football club this big and with the budget we have accept this type of football is beyond me. A manager who only gets the best out of average crafty players, praises avarage players playing bad game after bad game and is quick to slam into players with actual potential because he doesn't have a clue how to use them.

Speedicut75

That's the problem, he has too large a fanboy following for that to ever happen and the board won't care so long as he keeps getting top 4. They'll buy his excuses hook line and sinker. Where the likes of City and Liverpool are looking to strengthen from positions of (relative in Liverpool's case) power, we're still plodding along with the same bullshit from previous seasons. It's fecking depressing - and next season will be my first as a ST holder! There's no question of me giving it up or rejecting the opportunity, but I couldn't have chosen a worse season to have finally gotten one...
Match going fanbase has far from turned at this juncture, although there's certainly less solidarity about Mou's leadership of late, and I think this will become vocalized more stridently next season. People often separate tv money and other external revenues from match going issues, but bums-on-seats will always provide the visual conformation that your product is one worth investing in.
Hope you enjoy your ST, and I do think next season will be an improvement, and if not I reckon he'll start to feel real scrutiny from the stadium support, and we all know what that usually does to Jose's ego.

In Rainbows

If as you say we are just "11 individuals thrown on the pitch", perhaps you can explain as to how on earth Mourinho has managed to be second in the league and to the FA cup final?
A lot of clubs took a step back. There was drama with Conte at Chelsea. Arsenal regressed even further. And we've had some good results against those top sides, but I'm not sure you can count on that to remain true next season. When looking at purely this season, there are no ifs ands or buts. However, when thinking about next season you can't rely on say Sterling to miss as many chances as he did for City. City could have put more past United before halftime and we lucked out he was hilarious in front of goal. The goal chances are something you can expect from City next season. The way they missed is not something you should bank on happening next season. It's all about the process and what leads to a more consistent way of winning.

Even the Arsenal away match we had good moments (Pogba for instance), but we weren't exactly playing that well. Again, the result was the result and the Arsenal fans can do one. However, you can't rely on those kind of performances and hope it works as consistent as they did this season.

Anyways, this is all pointless as we're trying to catch City. It's up to you to believe in whether that's possible with the way the team plays on the pitch. I'm not confident in Mou achieving that precisely because of how dysfunctional the side looks like on a consistent basis.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You even can't really call the football defensive, it's just tumescent.

Jojo <3 Mou

A list of pros or cons for Mourinho based on his time at Manchester United

Pros
  • Improved the quality of the team by improving the quality of players
  • Improved the quality of football (goals scored, goals conceded)
  • Improved results and position in table
  • Secured Champions League football in consecutive seasons (17/18--18/19) for first time since 12/13--13/14.
  • Won multiple (minor) trophies
  • Big name coach that has attracted big talents
  • Has promoted and played youth
Cons
  • Team still lacking quality and cohesion after two (2) seasons
  • Football still not good enough (re: movement of the ball and goals scored)
  • Has not won a big trophy (League or CL)
  • Lacked patience with budding talent
  • Abrasive personality; has been outspoken against players in the media
  • Media circus around him
Feel free to add to the list. I feel that with facts we will be able to make a more informed judgement on Mourinho's performance.

What are your expectations for next season?

CM

You've got to look at the shite he's had to replace though mate. The side he took over was awful.

DDG

Darmian
Blind
Rojo
Valencia

Fellaini
Schneiderlain
Schweinsteiger

Rashford
Rooney
Martial

Of course he's spent! Compare that line up to City's line up 2 years ago - far superior. Then on top of that superior line up, look at how much they've gone on to spend. We are currently going through a major rebuild. Fergies 2013 squad was patched up and needed replacing, Moyes did nothing but add Fellaini and tie Rooney down for FIVE more seasons, LVG shipped out all of our winners and replaced them with the likes of Depay, Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlain. Come on, this squad has needed massive investment and still does. Even looking at our current squad, there's probably 12 members that aren't good enough to mount title bids. Mourinho's fault? He's done well to get us 2nd.
Did that group of players you've named ever actually play together? It's disingenuous to claim Mourinho inherited a completely broken squad. Louis van Gaal finished 5th (level on points with 4th) and won an FA Cup with that team and he was deemed not good enough. Mourinho was hailed as a winner who could fast-track us to success, so it's only fair to expect more than we've got so far.

Obviously Mourinho has made some very good signings and we undoubtedly have a better group of players now but that makes the lack of progress even more disappointing. We have no real style, we're excruciating to watch, very few of our players have improved under his management and most of our young players have either stagnated or disappeared entirely. What is it he's bringing to the table exactly?

Why does this squad still need massive investment when the manager has already coached them for 2 years and bought 8 players of supposed first-team quality (in addition to owning the best goalkeeper in the world)? You don't need to assemble a squad of superstars worth half a billion to play exciting football or challenge for major honours. Klopp has taken a team containing players like Karius, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Robertson, Henderson and Milner to the Champions League final and produced one of the most fruitful attacking teams in Europe on a fraction of the budget.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
Expectations for next season?

A close fight for 2nd-6th with Chelsea, Spurs, Pool and the Arse; with an outside chance of a spectacular implosion a la Jose's last season at Chelsea.

Everything else will be the same as this season, just with different names. Same shit different season (emphasis on the shit).

rotherham_red

Match going fanbase has far from turned at this juncture, although there's certainly less solidarity about Mou's leadership of late, and I think this will become vocalized more stridently next season. People often separate tv money and other external revenues from match going issues, but bums-on-seats will always provide the visual conformation that your product is one worth investing in.
Hope you enjoy your ST, and I do think next season will be an improvement, and if not I reckon he'll start to feel real scrutiny from the stadium support, and we all know what that usually does to Jose's ego.
I do sincerely hope you're right. From not being particularly arsed about next season I was bouncing off the wall when I found out I got my ST, only to be brought right back down to earth yesterday.

The problem for me is, money won't solve the issues we have. Another £200m for Jose to spend on players won't solve the issue that we are seemingly still not a team after 2 full seasons. If he hasn't figured it out by now, who's to say he ever will? I? mean David bloody Moyes has got West Ham playing more coherent stuff in little over 6 months than Jose has this season, ffs. In all my years of watching football, I've never seen it to this extent at the top level. What's worse, is that our board seemingly don't realise it.

Oneunited26

Of course. Real Madrid board and fans would be hurt to spend such money and play like we do. Mourinho would be hounded out of the club if they had a season like ours. We don't act like a big club though so he'll get another summer of heavy spending to come nowhere near the PL or CL. The board are only interested in making profits. As long as we are in top 4 that's all they care about. I feel like we are in danger of becoming the new Arsenal. The results don't mean much if we can't see signs that things will possibly click with a few adjustments here and there. Even Pep said he was lucky not to be sacked after City's trophy less season last year. He said if it was a big club he would've been sacked. And that's him being humble actually because City were very good at times last season but just missed the last few details. We have no direction or clue after two years of big spending and people think that a few signings will rectify everything. Prepare to be very dissapointed next season.
It’s mentality like that from the club that is why Real Madrid are on 13 European cups and we on a weak 3, Madrid has a board are driven to making history, while our board are all about being a Tesco than being a winning machine. The club is a reactive club, it’s why they never sacked moyes until it was technically not possible to make the top 4. If moyes kept us in the top 4 evey year since he was appointed has united manager since 2013, he would still be in a United job. Everyone should have had alarm bells ringing on the manner of how they sacked both VG and moyes

rotherham_red

Did that group of players you've named ever actually play together? It's disingenuous to claim Mourinho inherited a completely broken squad. Louis van Gaal finished 5th (level on points with 4th) and won an FA Cup with that team and he was deemed not good enough. Mourinho was hailed as a winner who could fast-track us to success, so it's only fair to expect more than we've got so far.

Obviously Mourinho has made some very good signings and we undoubtedly have a better group of players now but that makes the lack of progress even more disappointing. We have no real style, we're excruciating to watch, very few of our players have improved under his management and most of our young players have either stagnated or disappeared entirely. What is it he's bringing to the table exactly?

Why does this squad still need massive investment when the manager has already coached them for 2 years and bought 8 players of supposed first-team quality (in addition to owning the best goalkeeper in the world)? You don't need to assemble a squad of superstars worth half a billion to play exciting football or challenge for major honours. Klopp has taken a team containing players like Karius, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Robertson, Henderson and Milner to the Champions League final and produced one of the most fruitful attacking teams in Europe on a fraction of the budget.
Especially since Jose started each of his seasons here saying that he expected us to properly challenge, which he then dialled back after 3 months with his excuses and throwing of players under the bus. Seriously, feck him.

Oneunited26

Especially since Jose started each of his seasons here saying that he expected us to properly challenge, which he then dialled back after 3 months with his excuses and throwing of players under the bus. Seriously, feck him.
Jose has become way too toxic to the point no return, just look at him he’s not here or can last 12 rounds has united manager, he’s going to try and win one of the big trophy’s fudge off with his family no matter the state of the clubs squad, there is no question he’s a gambler who leaves the table while he’s up. If he wins either the PL or CL I have no doubt he will leave, the fire that burns inside Jose Mourinho is just not there, he just does not have that edge and he’s just going through the motions

JoaquinJoaquin

It’s mentality like that from the club that is why Real Madrid are on 13 European cups and we on a weak 3, Madrid has a board are driven to making history, while our board are all about being a Tesco than being a winning machine. The club is a reactive club, it’s why they never sacked moyes until it was technically not possible to make the top 4. If moyes kept us in the top 4 evey year since he was appointed has united manager since 2013, he would still be in a United job. Everyone should have had alarm bells ringing on the manner of how they sacked both VG and moyes
That is true. We are too PC of a club and want to keep 'tradition' (something we have slowly and reluctantly broke away from since Fergie anyways) rather than being a ruthless winning machine that Madrid, Barcelona or a PSG are.

Oneunited26

That is true. We are too PC of a club and want to keep 'tradition' (something we have slowly and reluctantly broke away from since Fergie anyways) rather than being a ruthless winning machine that Madrid, Barcelona or a PSG are.
To be honest until this ownership goes away we going to be in this situation for a long time to come, or if they appoint someone who has the vision the fans want. But if we compare ourselves to film studios we like a DCEU, completely idiotic on how to make us a trophy winning machine. We need a leader in charge who will grab the club by the balls and take us to a direction that’s built to win trophy’s, not allow managers to come in and throw players under the bus in a toxic manner. But this ownership is allowing and has allowed our small time neighbors to use our blue print we have had for decades, and blow us away and having players trash talk we in the shadow now. What is Jose mourinho doing? Where is his leadership? Why is he just given up? Not bothered with the fact that our rivals are saying this garbage, he’s just not got the passion or the drive to say hey let’s get our shit together and get us back on top, he just does not seem to have the stomach or the fire to fight, and if I’m honest the club don’t care either. I give you an example, when Barcelona won the treble in 2009, what did Real Madrid do? They went out and became an obsession to not allow Barcelona to to run rough shot, they were determined to show the world why they are the bench mark, and while la liga they not won much, they the kings of CL, and look at 10 years, the decline is totally on the door step of our ownership who are here for profits not trophy’s

Jojo <3 Mou

Klopp has taken a team containing players like Karius, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Robertson, Henderson and Milner to the Champions League final and produced one of the most fruitful attacking teams in Europe on a fraction of the budget.
Let's not pretend that money wasn't spent.

These are Klopp's signings
Van Dijk 79€
*Keita 65€
Salah 42€
Mane 41€
Chamberlain 38€
Wijnaldom 28€
Robertson 9€
Grujic 7€
Karius 6€
Klavan 5€

Mourino has actually only spent 94.7€ more than Klopp; that's 29.5€ if you include the purchase of Keita.

JoaquinJoaquin

To be honest until this ownership goes away we going to be in this situation for a long time to come, or if they appoint someone who has the vision the fans want. But if we compare ourselves to film studios we like a DCEU, completely idiotic on how to make us a trophy winning machine. We need a leader in charge who will grab the club by the balls and take us to a direction that’s built to win trophy’s, not allow managers to come in and throw players under the bus in a toxic manner. But this ownership is allowing and has allowed our small time neighbors to use our blue print we have had for decades, and blow us away and having players trash talk we in the shadow now. What is Jose mourinho doing? Where is his leadership? Why is he just given up? Not bothered with the fact that our rivals are saying this garbage, he’s just not got the passion or the drive to say hey let’s get our shit together and get us back on top, he just does not seem to have the stomach or the fire to fight, and if I’m honest the club don’t care either
Well in the case of Jose, I think he has just been a disappointment which no one at the club (nor me for that matter) expected. Prior to hiring Jose, he was THE man to get us back on top. He had the pedigree, and personality to be able to cope at the club and his appointment made sense on so many levels. However we have since found out that this is a broken version of Jose. This is not the hungry, tactically-wise version who's players ran through walls for him (that we seen at Chelsea, Porto and Inter). His passion has gone after the Real Madrid situation and that has filtered down to the players. I have spoken about it a few times but letting our players fly around the World inbetween games when we should be working on tactics and squad harmony is just madness and shows a real lack of control on his behalf. You would understand if it was only on occasion but this has happened after nearly every game (you just have to follow Utd players on Instagram to see it first hand). Also tactially he hasn't evolved either. When his 'park the bus' doesn't work we don't have any sort of attacking game plan and look completely bereft of ideas. A few Real Madrid players mentioned when Jose was there they did literally no attacking drills or positional work in training, and now I absolutely believe that, as it seems to be the case here at United to.

Unless we win the league through some miracle next season, I'd let his contract expire and look at moving on.

Stacks

The reality is this is Jose Mourinho to a tee. What did we expect? If he could find another reliable attacker (not Sanchez) that can drag us through games it will make him look good. imagine if we had a playmaker like Pjanic, and another scorer like Dybala, Griezmann or a goalscoring winger then we would probably have a few more wins in the EPL (3 I'm guessing) and be on course for 90 odd points. It doesn't say much about Jose, just that he has some very good players who can do a bit of magic, but he will instill a winning mentality, in game management and the ability to navigate big crucial games. Basically, give him lots of money, some independent players and he'll get you over the line. Don't expect anything spectacular from him in terms of direction, style of play, enjoyment etc. its just no frills and wins (mostly)

Oneunited26

Well in the case of Jose, I think he has just been a disappointment which no one at the club (nor me for that matter) expected. Prior to hiring Jose, he was THE man to get us back on top. He had the pedigree, and personality to be able to cope at the club and his appointment made sense on so many levels. However we have since found out that this is a broken version of Jose. This is not the hungry, tactically-wise version who's players ran through walls for him (that we seen at Chelsea, Porto and Inter). His passion has gone after the Real Madrid situation and that has filtered down to the players. I have spoken about it a few times but letting our players fly around the World inbetween games when we should be working on tactics and squad harmony is just madness and shows a real lack of control on his behalf. You would understand if it was only on occasion but this has happened after nearly every game (you just have to follow Utd players on Instagram to see it first hand). Also tactially he hasn't evolved either. When his 'park the bus' doesn't work we don't have any sort of attacking game plan and look completely bereft of ideas. A few Real Madrid players mentioned when Jose was there they did literally no attacking drills or positional work in training, and now I absolutely believe that, as it seems to be the case here at United to.

Unless we win the league through some miracle next season, I'd let his contract expire and look at moving on.
Exactly like

But at the end of the day if he continues to pander to mediocrity like Valencia, smalling, Jones, young, blind, darmian, Fellaini, matic, lingard, if his key players in his eyes are still week in week out or plays 70% of games like young, Valencia, fellaini, lingard, smalling, Jones, with his very slow tactics, he will settle for cup competitions again has he moves the goalposts to suit his agenda. Look at his record at Real Madrid, he could not win a CL with that group of players, and look what they achieved when he left

Jojo <3 Mou

The reality is this is Jose Mourinho to a tee. What did we expect? If he could find another reliable attacker (not Sanchez) that can drag us through games it will make him look good. imagine if we had a playmaker like Pjanic, and another scorer like Dybala, Griezmann or a goalscoring winger then we would probably have a few more wins in the EPL (3 I'm guessing) and be on course for 90 odd points. It doesn't say much about Jose, just that he has some very good players who can do a bit of magic, but he will instill a winning mentality, in game management and the ability to navigate big crucial games. Basically, give him lots of money, some independent players and he'll get you over the line. Don't expect anything spectacular from him in terms of direction, style of play, enjoyment etc. its just no frills and wins (mostly)
Ok, which manager doesn't need good players to win?

The money is just assurance of the player's quality (assuming it's spent wisely).

Some managers are able to get average players to perform above themselves/become good. There are also managers who are lucky enough to get good players before everyone else realizes their worth.

But in my opinion, managers need good players to win.

Alabaster Codify7

You must be great fun at parties.

Honestly, some people just really need to change the team they support.

I'm an absolute animal at parties lad. The two are completely exclusive - the sort of parties I go to don't include standing around discussing football, for a start.

Turkleton

Van Dijk 79€
*Keita 65€
Salah 42€
Mane 41€
Chamberlain 38€
Wijnaldom 28€
Robertson 9€
Grujic 7€
Karius 6€
Klavan 5€

Mourino has actually only spent 94.7€ more than Klopp; that's 29.5€ if you include the purchase of Keita.
Klopp has had to sell players to make those transfers. 95m more in a year less and the spending difference is likely to grow over the summer. Also ignoring the massive wages our signings are reportedly on.

ash_86

For the second year , i see this as our rebuilding season with progress in terms of results. Last year we got dished out for not getting results against top 6. This season we've managed to beat every one of the top teams but lost points against weaker teams. We now have the same points Man City had last season and could better them by 1 at least. I'm convinced that we're progressing in the right direction and have been better than every single PL team out there bar the champions. Can we better ourselves like Man City did this season? Sure. Can we beat them to the title next season? Doubtful. What i do know for sure is that, when ever Mourinho leaves the club a year or two later, he is definitely leaving a superb squad for his successor than the one he received. His Madrid, Chelsea squads have all been amazing with incoming managers only needing to make small change to win the league.

I don't really blame Woodward, he's done everything he can to get in the targets Jose wanted. The problem is that Jose is in charge of the overall football philosophy. Woody is just the man who facilitates it. If he had an enterprising and proactive manager, we'd be seeing something potentially amazing developing at OT. Our resources are larger than pretty much everyone else's - marry that with a coach who plays decent, attacking football and we'd be right up there. Right now, I can see that Jose isn't that man.
I see what you're saying, I think that's the issue with this club they keep giving full reigns to the manager. Then when that manager leaves he have to start over again, like with Moyes and LVG although I do think Jose will leave the club in a much better state than those two. This is one of the reason I would like the club to hire a director of football at some point, probably when Jose leaves. What are your thoughts on it?

Donnie Brasco

Klopp has had to sell players to make those transfers. 95m more in a year less and the spending difference is likely to grow over the summer. Also ignoring the massive wages our signings are reportedly on.
Why should the club with the highest revenues in world football care about net spend and selling players to make new signings. We are not Liverpool, so could care less about net spend, I'm not the Glazers accountant. What they spent is the only important thing.

CM

Van Dijk 79€
*Keita 65€
Salah 42€
Mane 41€
Chamberlain 38€
Wijnaldom 28€
Robertson 9€
Grujic 7€
Karius 6€
Klavan 5€

Of course money has been spent, the point I was making is there's something far more tangible to show for it in terms of style and development of players. Why is it a case of 'Mourinho has only spent 94m more' anyway? That's a lot of money and still doesn't account for the sale of Coutinho either, which is also pretty significant.

Canagel

People saying they'd rather be in 2nd playing shite football rather than be like Spurs/Liverpool play good football but finish behind need to understand that results and good football are not mutually exclusive. We are Manchester United and a club of our stature and resources should be expected and be able to provide both. We are not asking for Man City levels of football even. Or to win every game 5-0. We are simply asking to play with pride, passion desire, on the front foot at least. Is that too much to ask for with the money that we spend?

Bobski

The club surely can not be spending that type of money to only secure top 4, which ultimately is the bare minimum a Utd manager should achieve. Pretty clear that Liverpool can only spend what they do because they end up selling their best players.

Jojo <3 Mou

Firstly, Mourinho doesn't decide wages. I'd also say that Klopp is lucky to have inherited a squad where he is able to make something from expendible players (all sales except Coutinho). Liverpool has done a better job than United of making a profit from unwanted players.

Yes, Mourinho has had one less transfer window than Klopp and Klopp has had more time to put his team together.

Also, let's not preempt the future.

From whom?

haram

Bellamy made an intresting statement last night. If this was Real Madrid you’d invested so much and the manager was this far off of Barca come the end of the season he’d be gone, doesn’t matter who he is.
Yeah, if Real were already second to begin with. If Real had the years of Moyes and van Gaal maybe they’d acknowledge the level of the squad and that investment was needed.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm in between A and B in the poll right now. We need major changes that hopefully inspire Jose as much as us and the rest of the team. I'm not really expecting much to happen though to be honest.

Frank Grimes

Cool, so you've decided we are hypothetically a 5th place side next season whilst ignoring that we will likely finish this season better than Pep did last season and that we were comfortably above 18 sides in the league.

Damn you Mourinho, you led us to 5th in this imaginary, illogical world.
I have decided we are closer to being a 5th place team than a 1st place team, the table also shows this.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

The club surely can not be spending that type of money to only secure top 4, which ultimately is the bare minimum a Utd manager should achieve. Pretty clear that Liverpool can only spend what they do because they end up selling their best players.
I do find it bemusing that once dismissed as "RAWKish", this place seems to include net spend in every argument.

Dr. StrangeHate

We are second again.

bleedred

No one expects any club to crank out worldie youth products every other year though, you disingenuously saying Rafinha is Barcelona's last best youth product doesn't take from the fact that they have a much better track record than ours regarding in-house development in the modern era. Plus, Barcelona and Bayern do still manage to remain competitive despite managerial changes, and you'll hardly ever hear "he needs his own full team before we can judge" type of ridiculous arguments from their fanbases that you often see in this thread to excuse/defend Mourinho. There's also a consistency in terms of approach to play and recruitment, and those are some of the points i was making to your "What's the solution? Lets chuck millions on a manager every year and if he doesnt get it right, we will try another one?" question (you can't just cherry pick sentences to reply to while ignoring how they were contextualized).
They can because their league is very less competitive compared to the PL. Bayern are in a single team league with more resources and the first pick of any of player in the league and yet for all the chopping and changing of the managers, including Guardiola they have won the CL once in the last ten years, same as us. Barcelona and Real have had two of the greatest players of this generation who have been carrying the team and yet either of the teams will have supposedly had a bad season if Real win/lose the CL.

People always refer to City winning nothing last season, and us winning the carabao cup and europa as if its some sort of ginormous triumph, personally, I find it comical considering the improvement they have made and where they are now. Also, though understandably, maybe justifiably even, I feel expectations for us have changed so quickly and to me that's somewhat sad. I'd trade you City's past two seasons for ours in a heartbeat.Like I said, it’s not like we are out here ugly winning and lifting important trophies. We are a b tier cup competition team, that looks eons away from being able to compete for the most coveted trophies
And I would trade the last 10 years of ours to theirs. I am sorry, but calling the trophies such as FA cups as not coveted shows how much we have been spoilt as a fanbase. Liverpool fans would bite your hands off if they could have won a few in the last few years. Yes, they seem to have a better season now and comparing it to ours just based on this year is very narrow-minded and short termed view, atleast in my opinion.

Klopp and Mourinho have been at their current clubs for a similar amount of time, Mourinho with considerably more resources and arguably a better set of players, on paper at least, has, imo, shown less improvement in terms of coherent and purposeful play as a team. Furthermore, while several players at Liverpool have improved under Klopp, ours have regressed under Mourinho. Despite him not lifting trophies, Liverpool didn't just keep Klopp around in a vacuum or out of the goodness of their heart, the progress has been substantial even under non optimal circumstances like losing arguably their best player. I find that hypothetical question weird because its posits Klopp not winning anything as an eternal recurring event. But yes, I'd rather us be playing current Liverpool football than current Manchester football, and in the same vein, I'd rather we were in the CL final instead of in the FA cup final, even if it meant us switching places with them on the table. The gap between us isn't exactly grand canyon like on the table, and that's mostly due to them having an inconsistent start to the season. Based on current evidence, I feel if Klopp had the resources available to Mourinho at United, he'd be doing a better job than Mourinho is.
But the expectations from both the fanbase were entirely different. We are expected to win "atleast the league" every year, whereas, Klopp keeping them in the top 4 alone would be seen as progress for them.

Again most of what you say, it's just your own view, and I don't agree with it and the only metric which can be used to see who has had better is only in terms of either league position or the trophies, which you just ignore as "second tier".

As you mentioned, they have been both at the clubs in similar timeframe and yet one has managed to win the trophies which the other bottled, so it is a fair question to ask, whether you would rather win trophies, albeit "second tier", or just see some good football and win like a trophy every 10 years. You prefer the latter and there is nothing wrong with it.

I never once mentioned "United tradition" or anything of the like, you're projecting other people's arguments onto me and I'd ask you to remain objective if possible, please. I think United should strive to be a club that competes at and for the highest/most coveted trophies while playing a brand of attacking football. Those are my personal beliefs, and I'd hazard a guess that is/was part of our appeal and one of the core elements that formed the platform for both our sporting and commercial success.
I never claimed you did. And as I mentioned earlier, the kind of expectations you have have been observed only like under two managers in our entire history. Good luck with finding the next one.

Being overtly reliant on a/the manager is not the most efficient way to go about things these days, not for long-term and continuous success imo. I feel our structure has to change so as to allow us to be able to course correct asap all the while mitigating the negative effects of a potential managerial change.
I agree we cannot rely on managers to bring in long term success, but I don't believe any of the teams in the PL is going to do that anyway.

I don't think its as easy as you make it sound. As I said previously we are still reflecting on the Fergie era. To me, the most important thing is to keep the winning mentality going. We could either try to overhaul and put together a master plan of structural change, but during that process, we may slip behind the rest like Liverpool did in the 90's, or just win stuff, albeit being "second tier" and keep moving forward. People just mention Liverpool and city's season as some sort of success/benchmark but just fail to realize how many managers/crappy seasons they had to go through before they stumbled on it. Its, as they say, be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

Bobski

I do find it bemusing that once dismissed as "RAWKish", this place seems to include net spend in every argument.
I think it only really matters when a club has to sell before they can buy. That table also brings to mind how many suspiciously generous incoming fees that Chelsea have benefited from in recent years, but they Utd and City have far more financial freedom than the rest and should be at the top of the league the majority of the years

Status
Not open for further replies.