2016-17 - 18
2017-18 - 13 (20 games to go)

Goals sccored:
2013-14 - 64
2014-15 - 62
2015-16 = 49
2016-17 - 54
2017-18 - 39 (20 games to go)

There is a clear progress and for the first time since SAF we are going in right direction. Performance wasn't good all the time but most games we play much better than given credit for.

Yesterday taking the foot off the gas wasn't the issue, it's always good to do that in busy period but the manner in which we did wasn't good.

Last edited:

Listar

We are 2nd because Jose is a winner & only an idiot would take that from him. To me though I can't stand us not being dominant in at least 40% of our games even if we lose.
Its always something he is willing to give up for the purpose of winning.

We are similar to Barcelona compared to Madrid - one has expectations of how to play as well as to win whilst the other just need to win & it doesn't matter how. I find it painful to watch us playing like we are the Club with the oil money trying are hardest to win. We have expectations on how we should play & that's something he never focuses on.
On one hand, I am just happy that our fans are back to the high expectations seen pre-SAF retirement that winning is not enough. On the other hand, I still think these fans are so entitled that it is embarassing.

Water Melon

We are progressing under Mou, no doubt about that. Are there posters on here who do really believe that no progress of whatsoever was made? The main concern is whether we are progressing enough (value for money) to become the best club in England and one of the real contenders for CL. Taking into account that our resources are not limitless, Mou needs to be at his best to beat City under Pep. Moreover, if Mou does not win the Prem next season, I can see him fecking off to PSG which would mean another halfa billion spent without winning a major trophy.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
We are progressing under Mou, no doubt about that. Are there posters on here who do really believe that no progress of whatsoever was made? The main concern is whether we are progressing enough (value for money) to become the best club in England and one of the real contenders for CL. Taking into account that our resources are not limitless, Mou needs to be at his best to beat City under Pep. Moreover, if Mou does not win the Prem next season, I can see him fecking off to PSG which would mean another halfa billion spent without winning a major trophy.
Why do you think that? He never left a club without first bringing success. I also think that he wants to create a legacy at United. He always showed respect to United and to SAF, and I think if given the chance he would want to stay long-term.

Water Melon

Why do you think that? He never left a club without first bringing success. I also think that he wants to create a legacy at United. He always showed respect to United and to SAF, and I think if given the chance he would want to stay long-term.
Still staying at a hotel, away from the family. His recent quotes do not suggest that he is here to build his own legacy either. How long has he stayed at one club at max?

The United

If he wins the title next year, who knows?

But, to say he will only leave after brings success. Well, define success. He could go on without any league title for 3 years and it would be new for him and who knows in that situation?

He is only for himself. His history shows it. Nothing wrong with it. But, we can't be naive and think that he will be here for a long time.

The club will always have to plan ahead.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
If he wins the title next year, who knows?

But, to say he will only leave after brings success. Well, define success. He could go on without any league title for 3 years and it would be new for him and who knows in that situation?

He is only for himself. His history shows it. Nothing wrong with it. But, we can't be naive and think that he will be here for a long time.

The club will always have to plan ahead.
He has won the league in every club since Porto.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Premier league wins since SAF retired.
2013-14 - 19
2014-15 - 20
2015-16 = 20
2016-17 - 18

Goals sccored:
2013-14 - 64
2014-15 - 22
2015-16 = 49
2016-17 - 54

There is a clear progress and for the first time since SAF we are going in right direction. Performance wasn't good all the time but most games we play much better than given credit for.

Yesterday taking the foot off the gas wasn't the issue, it's always good to do that in busy period but the manner in which we did wasn't good.
Nice stats,should be made a sticky come the end of the season to compare.

Dobbs

I'll repeat my post from another thread.
We've won every single game that we've scored first in this year.
Every single one.
Maybe the question should be why does Jose have more confidence in a Utd side than you seem to lack
Because it always feels like we're playing with fire.

I'm amazed that we keep picking up wins despite being pretty average. I don't know what to put it down to, poor opposition, De Gea, luck?

It'll be interesting to see if we can keep that going.

Andersons Dietician

On the plus side, if City keep this form going and win the title, it’s going to make Jose have to react and realise he can’t afford to be pragmatic and play for draws as it’s just not going to be good enough to win him the title.
He’s probably a little shell shocked from what City have achieved so far this season but next season I’d expect a reaction and hopefully a reinvention of Jose and his team.

joleb

For a manager with so little backing from his fanbase, i think he is doing an amazing job and winning.

Imagine if God forbid, we back him a little bid instead of critisizing every move he does while he is winning games.

dichinero

On the plus side, if City keep this form going and win the title, it’s going to make Jose have to react and realise he can’t afford to be pragmatic and play for draws as it’s just not going to be good enough to win him the title.
He’s probably a little shell shocked from what City have achieved so far this season but next season I’d expect a reaction and hopefully a reinvention of Jose and his team.
With you on this one mate

Home&Away

On one hand, I am just happy that our fans are back to the high expectations seen pre-SAF retirement that winning is not enough. On the other hand, I still think these fans are so entitled that it is embarassing.
God save our gracious queen

Frank Grimes

Anyone think Mourinho seems in better form lately, in his press conferences and the like. I think a weight has been lifted off his shoulders since that tax case in Spain.

Also, Mourinho obviously wants to win the league but he also wants to be the first manager to win the CL/European Cup with 3 different clubs. Hopefully he can do that at United.

Home&Away

Definitely think he has the capability to bring us the CL this season; we look like a sturdy team that can grind out results even if the performances aren't always eye catching.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is not at Guardiola level yet but he is definitely making a progress for us. We are 2nd in the league and rightly so.

Fluctuation0161

Agree on the cause and the result but I think if City keep their form going we will be forced to invest in higher quality players (which we have needed for some time). This will bring us better results and performances in the key games while still using Jose's pragmatic style.

Theonas

Scout
Well, anyone who watches football knows what sort of coach Mourinho is and what to expect from him. There's no point raising this point 1.5 years after he's been given the job. Now, we can either let him do the job the way he knows how to or sit and whine about it on forums.
If you think fans should just sit and accept whatever their manager does because he has a certain reputation, what do you suggest we do on football forums? Maybe start brainstorming for cheer leading songs?

DdeGoat

If you think fans should just sit and accept whatever their manager does because he has a certain reputation, what do you suggest we do on football forums? Maybe start brainstorming for cheer leading songs?
I'll have to agree with the poster you quoted. Asking a highly successful manager to change his ways to cater to what you perceive as 'your club's way' is disingenuous. He has a certain way he goes about doing his job and it works for him, and that is why we hired him. Now asking him to play high octane football that we were used to is not possible.

Jose is a short term manager who brings about instant success where ever he goes. He won a couple of mickey mouse cups last season and is on track to achieve a league position that we have taken for granted in years past but have failed to come close to in the last four. The recruitment has been pretty solid and contrary to expectations young players are getting chances to thrive. For a club that looked rudderless under David Moyes and Louis Van Gaal, it finally looks like it belongs alongside the top clubs on the planet again. Yes, some of the football has been dire to watch and the set-up against other top 6 contenders can be more adventurous. I think that'll come when Jose trusts the team more and the team starts to believe in itself a little more. At least that's my take on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

Theonas

Scout
I'll have to agree with the poster you quoted. Asking a highly successful manager to change his ways to cater to what you perceive as 'your club's way' is disingenuous. He has a certain way he goes about doing his job and it works for him, and that is why we hired him. Now asking him to play high octane football that we were used to is not possible.

Jose is a short term manager who brings about instant success where ever he goes. He won a couple of mickey mouse cups last season and is on track to achieve a league position that we have taken for granted in years past but have failed to come close to in the last four. The recruitment has been pretty solid and contrary to expectations young players are getting chances to thrive. For a club that looked radar less under David Moyes and Louis Van Gaal, it finally looks like it belongs alongside the top clubs on the planet again. Yes, some of the football has been dire to watch and the set-up against other top 6 contenders can be more adventurous. I think that'll come when Jose trusts the team more and the team starts to believe in itself a little more. At least that's my take on it.
But none of us here is in any position to ask him or anybody else involved with the club to change or keep his ways. Unless we are in the stadium directly contributing to a negative atmosphere booing and not supporting the team, or maybe doing what Arsenal TV does and embarrassing the club, we simply are not even close to changing anything around the club. This to me, means that the only way sitting behind our keyboards and talking to strangers about football, makes any sense, is if it actually involves some exchange of ideas which will naturally involve criticism or methods, approaches, direction, etc ... To suggest that everyone should refrain from that and just applaud whatever is going on defeats the purpose of this activity we are engaged in. It confuses its context for one of actual influence.

Saad K

Undergoing Verification
Premier league wins since SAF retired.
2013-14 - 19
2014-15 - 20
2015-16 = 20
2016-17 - 18

Goals sccored:
2013-14 - 64
2014-15 - 22
2015-16 = 49
2016-17 - 54

That's just a shocking number :rolleyes:

P.S it's actually 62 goals scored

DdeGoat

But none of us here is in any position to ask him or anybody else involved with the club to change or keep his ways. Unless we are in the stadium directly contributing to a negative atmosphere booing and not supporting the team, or maybe doing what Arsenal TV does and embarrassing the club, we simply are not even close to changing anything around the club. This to me, means that the only way sitting behind our keyboards and talking to strangers about football, makes any sense, is if it actually involves some exchange of ideas which will naturally involve criticism or methods, approaches, direction, etc ... To suggest that everyone should refrain from that and just applaud whatever is going on defeats the purpose of this activity we are engaged in. It confuses its context for one of actual influence.
I meant that if we are expressing our dissatisfaction on a forum, then we want things to change. Whether we are in a position to help make the change is immaterial. We are obviously not.

I am sorry if it come across as if I was trying to stop you from your idea exchange. I was merely giving my point of view on his reign so far and how it is futile to expect something completely opposite of what has made him successful in his career so far. There is a thin line with Jose and it's all about the results. Whether that approach is right or not (My personal view is that it is for now) is definitely a topic of discussion. However, obsessing ad-nauseam over those methods or approaches is unavailing, imo. Obviously I cannot stop you, or anyone for that matter, from doing it. I am well within my right to give an opinion on it, though.

Last post of the day. I guess that's the end of my engagement as far as today is concerned. Cheers. ;)

Reactions: Raoul

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
City have a clear footballing style under Pep, as do Liverpool under Klopp. This is the case for most top managers. You see their style imprinted on the team.

But what is Mourinhos style? Defend like crazy, try and counter and then resort to hoof ball?

At the end of the day we all want to be entertained. Playing really well for twenty minutes and then inviting unnecessary pressure for the remaining 70 minutes is just about acceptable against top teams, but against relegation fodder?

We’ve shown under Mourinho that we are capable of playing some really good football. He just needs to relax his approach a bit more to get the fans fully behind him.

Tony999

City have a clear footballing style under Pep, as do Liverpool under Klopp. This is the case for most top managers. You see their style imprinted on the team.

But what is Mourinhos style? Defend like crazy, try and counter and then resort to hoof ball?

At the end of the day we all want to be entertained. Playing really well for twenty minutes and then inviting unnecessary pressure for the remaining 70 minutes is just about acceptable against top teams, but against relegation fodder?

We’ve shown under Mourinho that we are capable of playing some really good football. He just needs to relax his approach a bit more to get the fans fully behind him.
Exactly this a bit more atacking play 4-1-2-3

Andersons Dietician

Agree on the cause and the result but I think if City keep their form going we will be forced to invest in higher quality players (which we have needed for some time). This will bring us better results and performances in the key games while still using Jose's pragmatic style.
We would have invested every year as per usual, it’s not like Just because of them Jose will be able to go out and buy a few players that are considered elite.
Also you don’t need 11 superstars and City have proven that, Leicester proved that, Dortmund proved that and so did Atletico.
Personally I feel our team is really poorly coached, because it doesn’t take amazing technically gifted players to be able to move 3m to create an option for a pass and having a 3rd or 4th runner to then create another option of just create space. These are things 10yr olds understand and I refuse to believe that guys who have made it to a professional level don’t understand this concept unless it’s by instruction.

If he is the manager people claim him to be he wouldn’t need 11 ready made superstars.

Lentwood

We would have invested every year as per usual, it’s not like Just because of them Jose will be able to go out and buy a few players that are considered elite.
Also you don’t need 11 superstars and City have proven that, Leicester proved that, Dortmund proved that and so did Atletico.
Personally I feel our team is really poorly coached, because it doesn’t take amazing technically gifted players to be able to move 3m to create an option for a pass and having a 3rd or 4th runner to then create another option of just create space. These are things 10yr olds understand and I refuse to believe that guys who have made it to a professional level don’t understand this concept unless it’s by instruction.

If he is the manager people claim him to be he wouldn’t need 11 ready made superstars.
Nobody is claiming you need XI superstars. If you look at those four teams you have mentioned though, they all have a clear identity and the players fit with what they are trying to achieve. Leicester were lightning on the counter, Dortmund pressed incredibly well, City have intelligent and technically good players and Atletico were a solid, tough defensive unit

Up until very recently it has been hard to say exactly what we have been trying to achieve. Our signings have been very confused, even towards the end of SAFs reign, we didn't seem to really know what we were trying to build. Jose clearly does. That doesn't mean he needs XI superstars but he does need to get rid of the players that can't play the way he want's to play and bring in players he can

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Results wise, you have to say Jose is being successful. I think it's entirely unfair to only frame his progress against City - who are literally the best team in England ever over 16 games. Any other season we're top/close and Jose is doing Jose things, ramping up for his stroll to 2nd season title.

But, the reality we're in is that City are here, and not going anywhere. So it'll be most fascinating to me to see if Jose rises to the challenge, or gives up. As a United fan, there are definitely positives to both outcomes. If he mans up and we really go for it (thanks Louis) it could be fun, and I'm sure recruitment will be impressive. If he gives in and we get someone else in, there is a lot of real talent in this squad that could play some excellent football.

Trying to glass half full it!

fil1542

Supports
Jose Mourinho
Unfortunately, this one is on Jose today. Starting Blind at CDM was a disaster waiting to happen. He is just too slow and weak to play there and was, as expected, the worst player on the pitch.

Of course, then he made good changes and in the last 20-25 minutes you were clearly the best team after Lukaku and Mhiki coming on. Also, their goal was definitely undeserved at the end when they were just trying to hold on. However, with a proper midfield probably it would have been a much easier game in the first place.

Minimalist

Probably one of the few matches this season I really don't have any criticism of him. Thought United played well overall (some poor performances here or there). Two very good goals and that's the typical cup upset.

Barnslig

I wonder how long it's gonna take before Mourinho realizes this negative, slow, shite football is not going to work out? We're playing so slow, so negative it's horrible to watch.

Yes we're better in defence, but what the actual feck were our plan today? What were we actually trying to do?

Sanchez7

Needs to be ruthless in the transfer window. He has given lot of players enough time to prove themselves, it's time to cut the dross.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Let down by the players tonight imo.

No way he instructed his defenders to be flat footed and half asleep. No way he instructed his big guns to be complacent and half arsed.

Sylar

Let down by the players tonight imo.

No way he instructed his defenders to be flat footed and half asleep. No way he instructed his big guns to be complacent and half arsed.
Agreed. Even the subs he made were good and created chances. This team should be beating Bristol city.
I have a feeling the players thought that and werent bothered.

buckooo1978

not sure you can blame him for the lack of desire and competitiveness tonight

suppose the buck stops with him, he just needs to ship out the average, coach better performances out of some and realise the limitations of others

AndyJ1985

I'll give him January and the summer transfer windows to get things right before I even think about turning on him. But if our attack is still a shambles next season serious questions will need to be asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.