Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

I don't find it a surprise those who were saying last season that's a Micky Mouse cup that isn't enough to cover for our season are the same who slaughter Mourinho because he lost it this one. :lol:

Doomed if he won it, doomed if he not. :lol:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
A team with Zlatan,Pogba,Rashford and Martial in it should be able to beat most teams. Let’s not forget the rest of the internationals that were on the pitch. ‘The squad isn’t good enough” honestly some people are having an absolute wum.
Exactly. The team is just being very poorly managed.

The attacking play from our team is some of the worst that I have ever seen from a premier league club.

Individual player brilliance saves our bacon more often than not.

Womp

idiot
TBF though while I think the players were far too complacent, I'd argue so too was Jose. Basically playing a whole new squad of fringe players who for the most part haven't featured in our team for a while was the wrong decision imo. Especially when Rojo and Ibra have barely played since their injuries and are probably still building fitness.

cyberman

@Paul_Scholes18
But this is as if Pep kept Clichy, Sagna etc and played them. Theres a reason Pep sold them and theres a reason why Jose wants to spend in Jan and clear out the squad.
I would give them some leeway though. He trusted a kid in midfield and had Ibra / Rojo / Shaw and Pogba who might have played 10 games combined in 4 months?
Its more than good enough to win but the sky isn't falling in nor is there a massive overhaul that needs to happen due to tonight.

dove

TBF though while I think the players were far too complacent, I'd argue so too was Jose. Basically playing a whole new squad of fringe players who for the most part haven't featured in our team for a while was the wrong decision imo. Especially when Rojo and Ibra have barely played since their injuries and are probably still building fitness.
Probably shows that we didn't really care much about this cup, if we win - good, if we don't - move on. However our fans act like we just lost a CL final. It's Carabao or whatever it's called now cup FFS.

IrishRedDevil

Mourinho: “It was another day in the office and for some of our players they probably didn't even want to come into the office today.”

Interesting comment. Surely he is able to get them all to focus and be up for a cup game?

SuperiorXI

Mourinho: “It was another day in the office and for some of our players they probably didn't even want to come into the office today.”

Interesting comment. Surely he is able to get them all to focus and be up for a cup game?
Why should he have to get them to focus? They're not kids, they're supposed professional football players but obviously couldn't be fecked tonight.

haram

Yes, partly. It's still the league cup against Bristol City in the heads of the players though.

RooneyLegend

The sooner fans and those that work in the big offices accept that he doesn't suit our club the better.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Before people really lose their shit, remember Fergie lost to York fecking City, Derby County and only just scraped past Crawley Town before. We also got hammered by MK Dons a few years back.

People acting like we've never seen this before. Sometimes games like this happen. Just have to move on.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Chelsea fans I know were laughing at me when he was appointed United manager. They all said the same thing, he isn’t the same Mourinho any more.

He needs to find his mojo again.

haram

Chelsea fans I know were laughing at me when he was appointed United manager. They all said the same thing, he isn’t the same Mourinho any more.

He needs to find his mojo again.
They said that because of the bad year he had after he won them the league?

clarkydaz

it was a striking thing to say, and reminded me of the Herrera comment a few weeks ago after losing to Huddersfield

Andersons Dietician

Exactly. The team is just being very poorly managed.

The attacking play from our team is some of the worst that I have ever seen from a premier league club.

Individual player brilliance saves our bacon more often than not.
Can’t argue with that. The lack of movement to create or give options all over the pitch is just horrid. Bristol Just gave us a footballing lesson and I refuse to believe it’s down to just our players. If they’d made it this far in to a proffesional career not being able to do simple things like give someone an option or play a simple pass and move then something somewhere went wrong.

It’s just ridiculous.

gibers

The sooner fans and those that work in the big offices accept that he doesn't suit our club the better.
It kills me that we didn't get Pep. We are so badly run it's sickening. Moyes, then LVG then Mouriho. All just throwing money about. If we fire Mou and don't let him develop his plan then we would have wasted almost half a decade and achieved nothing. We are too deep in this so I reckon we have to stick with him.

I would personally try and get Conte if he leaves Chelsea or try and get Tuchels as a second choice.

BlakeUtd

I feel like the team he put out just showed they weren't up to it and/ or not quality enough. Choices are slim, we couldnt play matic, young, valencia or jones and arguably lukaku for fear of injury or fatigue. Our only real options from our so called first team would be mata and smalling (both not the best game changers). We've been waiting for pog, he needs time to settle but this means we'll keep seeing performances like this. I think our squad is just below average

AndyJ1985

It kills me that we didn't get Pep. We are so badly run it's sickening. Moyes, then LVG then Mouriho. All just throwing money about. If we fire Mou and don't let him develop his plan then we would have wasted almost half a decade and achieved nothing. We are too deep in this so I reckon we have to stick with him.

I would personally try and get Conte if he leaves Chelsea or try and get Tuchels as a second choice.
In Jose's defence I think he's done a decent job cleaning up the terrible mess the last two managers made. Aside from Mkhitaryan I wouldn't say he's wasted money. It's the other two clowns who squandered hundreds of millions and left us with loads of shit to clear out.

Paul778

None of our players seem to have a quality first touch these days and it's pretty rare we see one touch play from Utd these days. It was pretty shocking tonight but TBH it's been like that for a while.

One thing SAF was great at was recycling his backroom team, allowing him to get fresh ideas/perspective. Has Scholes done his badges? Get him into the coaching setup somehow. It works at other clubs - or is Jose to wedded to his own staff?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I see you are still trying to win worst post of the year award. I think you are just in time.
and the award goes to.....

BigBebe

I know that Jose is Jose but that 'they were lucky' comment was a bit embarrassing.

I think that his team let him down tonight.

RooneyLegend

Its not too late, how can it be? Its just his second season after all.

Jardim or Sarri is where we should be looking. Football has moved towards an era where attacking football is king, and we are heading in the opposite direction hiring the most pragmatic top level manager there is.

Dobbs

We should be smashing Bristol City with no manager. It was just complacency (mixed with some players just being shite *Darmian) from the players. You could argue it's his job to get them ready for the game, which I agree with, but that's not a good enough reason to excuse them.
Said it before but players can't just switch between styles. They can't alternate between tight, compact stuff to expansive, flowing football week by week. You end up with a bunch of confused guys not sure of how to go about their work. Which to me is exactly how we look in the final third.

In other words its a problem we've been developing for a while. Can't be solved in the build up to a game.

Womp

idiot
Said it before but players can't just switch between styles. They can't alternate between tight, compact stuff to expansive, flowing football week by week. You end up with a bunch of confused guys not sure of how to go about their work. Which to me is exactly how we look in the final third.

In other words its a problem we've been developing for a while. Can't be solved in the build up to a game.
Other pragmatic teams can manage it, why can't we?

LeftyBlaster

Can’t argue with that. The lack of movement to create or give options all over the pitch is just horrid. Bristol Just gave us a footballing lesson and I refuse to believe it’s down to just our players. If they’d made it this far in to a proffesional career not being able to do simple things like give someone an option or play a simple pass and move then something somewhere went wrong.

It’s just ridiculous.
Been saying this for ages..... but people on this forum say we just need better players. No. Our offensive coaching is s.h.i.t.

Dobbs

Other pragmatic teams can manage it, why can't we?
I can't think of another team that flicks between styles like we do. Especially amongst the top teams.

Players need consistency, you can't in the build up to a game like this ask the players to create angles, run off the ball and create overlaps etc when for most of the time you've drilled them into being solid and defensive.

Womp

idiot
I can't think of another team that flicks between styles like we do. Especially amongst the top teams.

Players need consistency, you can't in the build up to a game like this ask the players to create angles, run off the ball and create overlaps etc when for most of the time you've drilled them into being solid and defensive.
Juventus did it in the CL last season, Chelsea can do it, Atleti are capable (prior to this season anyway, they've just been shite this season). Also tactics don't necessarily reflect what was taught in training though.

Players will be drilled in being solid and defensive as well as being trained in offensive play. It's why there's multiple coaches and multiple phases to training. I highly doubt any top team would completely neglect a whole facet of the game in training. It's not one or the other, they'd work on both.

Bojan11

He’s made a big mistake and now he is slowly realising it.

Where as Pep was smart and had a big clear out. Which Jose should have done also.

There’s quite a few players I’m still perplexed are still at the club.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s made a big mistake and now he is slowly realising it.

Where as Pep was smart and had a big clear out. Which Jose should have done also.

There’s quite a few players I’m still perplexed are still at the club.
Which ones? I’ll grant you Darmian.

Gross Domestic Peasant

I'm not even sure you're flicking between styles deliberately. It all seems haphazard. LvG settled on a system that worked, then abandoned it permanently. Mourinho's followed suit. He has had United looking composed - which is the least you can expect - but recent play and tactics have become incoherent at best.

Turkleton

I'm not impressed with Jose so far. Sure he's a big upgrade on the last two managers but it feels like he's phoning it in. I'm not calling for him to be sacked but I wouldn't be disappointed if he went to PSG at the end of the season.

We really should have got a DoF when SAF left to give us some long term direction. Managers come and go but the philosophy of Manchester United shouldn't.

Bojan11

Which ones? I’ll grant you Darmian.
Darmian, Blind, Mata, Fellaini and Shaw.

You can add Herrera and Mkhitaryan to the list after their showings this season.

Not signing proper fullbacks or even a winger in two years is madness. Yeah I know we wanted Perisic, but surely Jose had other targets.

City strengthend all their weaknesses in the summer. The only upgrade we got from last year is Matic. Lukaku effectively replaced Ibrahimovic. Lindelof has been decent the last few games, but he hasn’t been better than Jones or Smalling.

Wide areas have been a problem for a while yet the club and manager have not addressed it.

cyberman

@Bojan11
Its not madness when he's on a relative budget?
Do people not understand what long term planning is? Jose was getting shit on for this last summer yet I'm seeing more and more posts basically saying we should have signed every available player we could in 1 summer.
Left back and right wing were the least of our problems and it's no wonder Jose has decided to focus on other areas, as shown with Young he's right to do so.
Our injury hit central defenders, our dead midfield with Rooney up top were in drastic need of an overhaul.
I predict this summer he'll sign a Rose or Griezmann and flush out the deadwood, it makes sense.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Darmian, Blind, Mata, Fellaini and Shaw.

You can add Herrera and Mkhitaryan to the list after their showings this season.

Not signing proper fullbacks or even a winger in two years is madness. Yeah I know we wanted Perisic, but surely Jose had other targets.

City strengthend all their weaknesses in the summer. The only upgrade we got from last year is Matic. Lukaku effectively replaced Ibrahimovic. Lindelof has been decent the last few games, but he hasn’t been better than Jones or Smalling.

Wide areas have been a problem for a while yet the club and manager have not addressed it.
As a squad player I’ve got no issues with Blind, he’s done his job when asked and I’m not sure you’ll find a better option for the bench.

Mata has dropped off this season, but he’d have been mad to cull him upon arrival.

Fellaini has disappeared these last few weeks but he’s pulled his weight during Mourinhk’s tenure.

Herrera needs to sort himself out. He earned **** status at the club for two seasons, you can’t moan at Mourinho for not selling him.

Mkhi has a hot and cold first season and was red hot before the transfer window closed this season. Should he have sold him then?

Minimalist

Blind and Mata are brilliant players to have in the squad - nonsense thinking Mourinho would get rid of them when there are other priority areas to fill first (therefore no replacements for them).

Andersons Dietician

Been saying this for ages..... but people on this forum say we just need better players. No. Our offensive coaching is s.h.i.t.
Yeah I’ve encountered the same response many times. Someone earlier said today’s defeat was down to our squad being poor. Zlatan,Pogba,Martial,Rashford were included in today’s team with a load of internationals yet it’s not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.