Jose Mourinho admits he is powerless to stop Marouane Fellaini leaving Manchester United

L1nk

He thinks hes important because Mourinho has been publically begging him to stay and saying he's important. People were pissed when Rooney was pulling this kind of stuff but at least Rooney was class then, probably one of our only class players at the time. This sideshow bob comes off the bench a few times to score route 1 longball goals and he thinks without him be relegation fodder. Mourinho needs to stop gassing up this clown and replace him, now.

Ekeke

Nothing wrong with a player negotiating hard for his financial future. As long as he and the club come to an agreement in the end it's all good.
Theres hard, and then theres suggesting that Fellaini is worth up to 50 million euros

Just to clarify are you people outraged by the actual quotes or because he's openly speaking to the media?

I genuinely don't see an issue with what he's said. Do you want him to say he's desperate and will sign for whatever the club is willing to pay?
Why are those the only 2 options? Nonsense.

He has to be the most abused player we have had since.....
Abused? :houllier:

:lol: Those quotes are amazing. Before people start jumping up the clubs arse, Fellani says he asked for a new contract twice and didn't get one and even he recognises that it would cost us at least €50m to replace him, NOT he's worth €50m. He know's he's only being offered because we don't want to have to shop for more than one CM this summer.

He's leaving though, for sure, you wouldn't come out with that nonsense if you weren't ready to burn your bridges. Big summer ahead folks! We may have to sell someone to fund it now though...
It wouldnt take anywhere near 50 million euros to replace Fellaini. However if you also include the wages of the player and any bonuses over the course of their entire United career, then maybe its close.

clarkydaz

how can you comment on club negotiations publicly, and state the club made a mistake? does he think this will win him support?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He's going to get some reception the next game. The fecking bog brush! :lol:

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
So far non of us knows if this is first hands quotes or maybe something went missing in translation. I’m sceptical until I see some clarification or some context.

Secondly. If his quotes are correct what’s wrong with his comments? He’s in a good position and his value has increase the last two years. Why shouldn’t he asking for a pay rise on his last big contract negotiation and I perfectly understands that he wants a two year contract, especially when the manager says he’s useful to the club.

Don’t only blame the player for this situation, the club also has some responsibility.

ti vu

So far non of us knows if this is first hands quotes or maybe something went missing in translation. I’m sceptical until I see some clarification or some context.

Secondly. If his quotes are correct what’s wrong with his comments? He’s in a good position and his value has increase the last two years. Why shouldn’t he asking for a pay rise on his last big contract negotiation and I perfectly understands that he wants a two year contract, especially when the manager says he’s useful to the club.

Don’t only blame the player for this situation, the club also has some responsibility.
He shouldn't be so open and honest in an interview then. Something is better be negotiate behind closed door which here is a case.

The whole 50mil for good player to replace him is laughable, and not helpful in reminding people how we overpaid for him being bullied in negotiation. If anything, after this interview, it's better to cut tie as it's more damaging to the club reputation.

Edit: it's read as Fellaini saying we're incompetent not to renew his contract last season where he would have signed voluntarily. Now the tide had turned, and he's making us spend every penny :houllier:

Last edited:

van Nistelrooy

I'd be quite annoyed but also not surprised if we tie Fellaini down to a new contract. Obviously he has his uses, but the few that he has does not warrant a place in the squad for me. If we bow down to his demands, then it will show the state of the club these days.

Imagine these type of quotes came out whilst Ferguson was in charge! He wouldn't stand for it.

RedDevil@84

If his quotes are correct what’s wrong with his comments
There is nothing wrong. It is stupid. It takes him from strong position to a very weak position.
Earlier fans turned against him only because he was not good enough. But now more fans will turn against him, because he was disrespectful to the club.

You never speak ill of your employer when you are still working under them.

LARulz

I wanted him to stay as he is very useful to have in the squad. But those comments..... Do one

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Is it true that he just started 4 games tgis season? He is an important player indeed

Swift Football

In a way Fellaini is right. I dont see any problem in him wanting the contract favorable to him in both the wages and length of contract. He knows he is getting older and wants his new contract to be huge. On top of that, he knows the crazy price going in the market and also that Jose desperately wants him here, so he has things in his favor. In the public media, he could have still sugarcoated things and send the message he intended.

After these comments, it is interesting to see what will club do. I think Ed will suck it up and give the contract he wants. But I dont mind seeing Ed kick out Fellaini and send message to Jose who is the boss.

Fellaini's contract demands shows the increasing player's power in today's football world. It is also the by product of us offering crazy wages to other players.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
If Woody signs him then he is bigger mug than i thought he was.

Alabaster Codify7

I had no idea he'd only started 4 games this season. You simply do not give someone like that 100k+ a week, simply because they're a 'nuisance' to play against. It would be completely diabolical wages-wise as well - you'd have guys like Phil Jones demanding 180k a week simply based on game-time alone if nothing else.

This has to be the end of him.

ti vu

I'd be quite annoyed but also not surprised if we tie Fellaini down to a new contract. Obviously he has his uses, but the few that he has does not warrant a place in the squad for me. If we bow down to his demands, then it will show the state of the club these days.

Imagine these type of quotes came out whilst Ferguson was in charge! He wouldn't stand for it.
Cue the question: "Are you prefectly fine when SAF sold Jaap Stam"?

In a way Fellaini is right. I dont see any problem in him wanting the contract favorable to him in both the wages and length of contract. He knows he is getting older and wants his new contract to be huge. On top of that, he knows the crazy price going in the market and also that Jose desperately wants him here, so he has things in his favor. In the public media, he could have still sugarcoated things and send the message he intended.

After these comments, it is interesting to see what will club do. I think Ed will suck it up and give the contract he wants. But I dont mind seeing Ed kick out Fellaini and send message to Jose who is the boss.

Fellaini's contract demands shows the increasing player's power in today's football world. It is also the by product of us offering crazy wages to other players.
Some tactics are perfectly understandable in negotiation process. However, something is better for agent to do and work for the money than the player to come out publicly in an interview. In this case, it's clearly undermining the club by Fellaini's word (if the quote is truthfully reported)

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
He shouldn't be so open and honest in an interview then. Something is better be negotiate behind closed door which here is a case.

The whole 50mil for good player to replace him is laughable, and not helpful in reminding people how we overpaid for him being bullied in negotiation. If anything, after this interview, it's better to cut tie as it's more damaging to the club reputation
If the quotes are correctly translated I agree it’s a bad idea to talk to the media about his negotiation position. Hands down.
But. We don’t know the context of the situation. Mourinho is using his press conference to advocate for Fallaini’s case, that’s also unusual. Maybe the clubs contract offer isn’t in line with what our manager and the players agent think he’s worth.

Let’s just wait until we know more.

There is nothing wrong. It is stupid. It takes him from strong position to a very weak position.
Earlier fans turned against him only because he was not good enough. But now more fans will turn against him, because he was disrespectful to the club.

You never speak ill of your employer when you are still working under them.
I’m not defending him but let’s be realistic. He was asking for a new contract last season without any response. Then he asked again this season without reactions. Off course he started to look for other options, what else should he do? Maybe he has good offers on the table from other clubs, we don’t know that. If that’s the case and United is his first option then off course he using his position to try to negotiate a better deal.

If the club is low balling him with a one year contract maybe then that’s why Mourinho and the player went public about the negotiations. At this point knowbody knows.

All I know is that sometimes the club are a little bit slow with contracts renewal. In this case I will wait and see before I start to criticize a player without knowing the context.

Rajma

I had no idea he'd only started 4 games this season. You simply do not give someone like that 100k+ a week, simply because they're a 'nuisance' to play against. It would be completely diabolical wages-wise as well - you'd have guys like Phil Jones demanding 180k a week simply based on game-time alone if nothing else.

This has to be the end of him.
Lets be realistic who’s out there that will pay more than half of that sum? Galatasaray? Juventus? Give me a break, he will be lucky to get 40k EUR a week from those guys. He has no leverage here at all besides Jose’s stupid wishes.

ti vu

If the quotes are correctly translated I agree it’s a bad idea to talk to the media about his negotiation position. Hands down.
But. We don’t know the context of the situation. Mourinho is using his press conference to advocate for Fallaini’s case, that’s also unusual. Maybe the clubs contract offer isn’t in line with what our manager and the players agent think he’s worth.

Let’s just wait until we know more.

I’m not defending him but let’s be realistic. He was asking for a new contract last season without any response. Then he asked again this season without reactions. Off course he started to look for other options, what else should he do? Maybe he has good offers on the table from other clubs, we don’t know that. If that’s the case and United is his first option then off course he using his position to try to negotiate a better deal.

If the club is low balling him with a one year contract maybe then that’s why Mourinho and the player went public about the negotiations. At this point knowbody knows.

All I know is that sometimes the club are a little bit slow with contracts renewal. In this case I will wait and see before I start to criticize a player without knowing the context.
That's fair points, but as I said for the player himself to come out with these things publicly, it's bad move and the deal breaker altogether.

Mourinho as manager to keep good relationship with players is a different business altogether. Secretly he may agree to let Fellaini go for all we know. Keeping good relationship with former players has its own use. For example: Bailly. Drogba put in kind word about Mourinho and he chose us over Pep. We may not get all players we want, but a little detail helps in long term in some cases. It's not the same thing as Fellaini quote which stroke most of the fan as undermining the club being incompetent.

Agree that we need more context and clarification on these quote. Until then peace.

Last edited:

deafepl

You seriously think we can? lets take a look at our expenditure numbers under Jose:
-2016/17
Zlatan free
Baily 30
Mhiki 30
Pogba 89
total 149
-2017/18
Lindelof 30
Lukaku 75
Matic 40
Sanchez ex/
Total 145
Not even close to 300 mil in 2 years if you count Depay & Schneiderlin's sales too (40 mil combined), and now suddenly we are going to spend 250 mil this summer? seriously.
Note: i dont berate the club, it's clear that if you're not state bankrolled club you're going to 'suffer' in transfer windows.
If United are going the same level as City and PSG in spending ratio to revenue, United can outspend them 250+m net spend easily. United only can get 3 players or so because of EPL's policy on wage bill growth cap, if we are not keen on adding world class we need to pay their wage so high like 200K+, for 200K, we could get two players on 100K each. We had plenty of money in transfers budget for Griezmann and Perisic that we believe valued to be less than 40m, but we didn't succeed it so we brought Sanchez, rest of wage we would pay for Griezman and Perisic to Sanchez. Zlatan, Carrick all left United freed more spaces for wage bill cap, maybe with Darmain, Shaw, Blind, Fellaini and one of centre-back departure so it would free more space for new players to join.

if we spent the same ratio in 2014, it's over 200m net spending, we are allowed to get many players because many of our ageing and player that don't suit LVG's system left us in 2014 in summer.

Jericholyte2

I don't think any of us were shedding tears about him potentially leaving before he came out with this. Now I'd gladly contribute to a gofundme page to help any team pay his wages to get him out of our club now!

ti vu

I don't think any of us were shedding tears about him potentially leaving before he came out with this. Now I'd gladly contribute to a gofundme page to help any team pay his wages to get him out of our club now!
You don't need to. He's free agent come summer, so if he can't find a club to pay him his demand, he can retire with us not taking him back

Last edited:

Anustart89

Would love it if we made it public that our offer has been withdrawn as a consequence of his attempt at bullying the club into a new deal.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not only a shit footballer, but evidently a nasty piece of work off the pitch as well.

Horrible conceited twat.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Who the feck does this cnut think he is? :lol: Mind blowing stuff.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Would love it if we made it public that our offer has been withdrawn as a consequence of his attempt at bullying the club into a new deal.
Would love that. We’ll likely get more Jose begging though.

spiriticon

This mother****er is acting like he is Cristiano Ronaldo. I cannot even.

If we are weak and cave in to him, I now expect at least 40 goals from him next season.

Jericholyte2

I think someone needs to start a petition to urge Woodward and the United hierarchy to stop all negotiations with him!

rotherham_red

Meh. Not bothered by any of what he says or what happens.

Can't blame him for not feeling any sort of loyalty to the club after he's been booed and slagged off by his own supporters during his time here. What he's said will only really annoy the fans, and he owes us feck all after the shite he's taken, in all honesty. He didn't really do much wrong here, he tried his best, sometimes it wasn't good enough, quite a lot of the time it was.

If he re-signs, he stays on as a squad player. That's fine, he's useful. If he leaves for free, then that's fine too, he's very replaceable and we get out of the habit of lumping it forwards to him, even though it has been successful on occasion.

I do think he'll stay though. He's probably just posturing. He won't go to a bigger club or get more money anywhere else. I'd guess he just wants a 2 year deal.
Fully agree. Some of the behaviour he's had to endure from a vocal minority of ''fans" has been nothing short of shameful. Even so, he's played a very big part in almost all our successes post-SAF: his form in the top 4 run-in in 2015, his goal and performance v Everton in the FA Cup semi, his MotM in the Europa league final and his crucial goal in the Europa league semi v Anderlecht.

I don't particularly want him here, but I appreciate his contributions and while he isn't exactly what we need, he deserved at least a bit of respect

arthurka

We bought Matic for 40m he is 10x the player which gives me a valuation for Fellaini of a massive 4m . The sooner he leaves the better , if Mourinho goes all in to get him a new contract he can go with him ..

That said watch him score the winner v Chelsea in the FA Cup..