Jose Mourinho admits he is powerless to stop Marouane Fellaini leaving Manchester United

Jaybomb

I thought you meant this season
What’s considered an important goal? We won 2-0 against Leicester and he scored one. We won 4-0 against Palace and he scored two. Where do you draw the line?

deafepl

What’s considered an important goal? We won 2-0 against Leicester and he scored one. We won 4-0 against Palace and he scored two. Where do you draw the line?
These goals are not important if it doesn't count as the winner. All of his goals come late after United scored, we'd be fine without him. Martial goal for Spurs count it as important goals cos he scored a winner for United to earn 3 points. Lukaku's goal against Southampton is a really important goal which we needed it.

Without Fellaini's contribution to United, we would still have 32 points so far. Without Lukaku's contribution, we would drop 6 points, that's it. Fellaini can be upgraded by someone else better but like Lukaku, Pogba and Martial? No, they are important players for us as there are not a lot of quality player available like Lukaku or Pogba, would find it harder to replace them with better quality.

If Fellaini is holding United to ransom, he can feck off or accept that he'll be a squad player at best.

laplacian

Now can we please sign talented CMs to play alongside Pogba and Matic and focus on finding Matic's replacement and Pogba's back-up in case he gets injured? After the crapfest of low midfield creativity over the past few months surely Jose realizes we can't depend on limited players on the team too. Please solve this issue during the next two transfer windows Jose. I can't wait until Fellaini leaves.

(yes I know he wont read this, I'm just venting.)

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Now can we please sign talented CMs to play alongside Pogba and Matic and focus on finding Matic's replacement and Pogba's back-up in case he gets injured? After the crapfest of low midfield creativity over the past few months surely Jose realizes we can't depend on limited players on the team too. Please solve this issue during the next two transfer windows Jose. I can't wait until Fellaini leaves.

(yes I know he wont read this, I'm just venting.)
Who should we replace him with ?

prateik

Any updates here? No talk of him leaving.. I'm guessing he will sign the extension.
I hope he does. Very useful... and the manager clearly rates him.

SirAF

Ageist
Haven't heard a peep. If he goes, then they need two new CMs in the summer.

I'd like him to stay, for the record.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Providing we bring in an additional midfielder to play the role Herrera plays in a 3 (with Herrera being an alternative and back up to Matic) I'm more than happy for Fellaini to stay. He might not be pretty, but he's effective sub. Hope Jose ties him down.

mufcneville

Yeah, I'd rather keep him than Herrera. Fellaini is useful over the course of a season.

Mindhunter

He plays an important role off the bench and allows us to have a Plan C in tough matches. The other day his cameo was very effective and he won a few calls balls in midfield.

A solid squad option to have but he is deluding himself if he thinks he is eiThey going to be a starter or one of the highest paid players here. If he wants regular football then fair enough.

prath92

I think he is leaving. Would probably get more money and a better role elsewhere.

Can7onA

I'm not really arsed either way.

If he goes he frees up a space for a decent combative midfielder and we stop lumping the ball about.

If he stays he's an option when we play West Ham, West Brom etc.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Fellaini is a weapon that you'd like to keep in your squad. But that's exactly the type of role that he doesn't want, I guess.

nah_it_wont_happen

Let him go and buy Sergej Milinkovic-Savic. His height won't be missed and we will have a much better player technically and aesthetically.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's a good lad, but we will become a better club if he moves and we get a more energetic midfielder so we can give Pogba more freedom.

binary bot
He’s 30, his agent will shop him around, realise that he has it quite well here and he’ll be forced to choose between a bit part role at bigger club or a greater role at a smaller one.

Personally I think we should be moving him on, getting in a top young player to fill his role, and preparing ourselves for the future. I’m sure he’s already on a wage that would easily facilitate a top young player or two.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I'm not really arsed either way.

If he goes he frees up a space for a decent combative midfielder and we stop lumping the ball about.

If he stays he's an option when we play West Ham, West Brom etc.
Kind of agree with this.
If he stays, it's a good thing as we won't have to go out looking for a extra squad-player.
If he goes the only negative way that impacts us is really the transfer fee of the replacement or the off-chance that we don't find one (which isn't the end of the world either with TFM/Pereira).

I think he is leaving. Would probably get more money and a better role elsewhere.
Don't think he'd get more money elsewhere, especially seeing as he is 30 now. Would be including signing bonus which he'd likely get with us anyway if he re-signed. We pay good money for squad-players (and rightly so). If he goes, I think it'll be down to wanting more playing-time or to be more than a part-timer in a team.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We overpaid for a player who was clearly not good enough for us and he couldn't even bother allowing us to sell him to recoup some of the fee we spent. I think he will be forever remembered as one of the most expensive squad player in our history.

Nickosaur

I'd be happy if he stayed, but wouldn't be gutted if he went, if that makes sense.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Get rid of the useless piece of p*ss.
Behave bro, a very useful squad option, by no means a top top player but you cant have a squad of 11 world class players and bench of world class players. Its his right to ask a pay raise, its all up to the management to review it as he is currently still a club asset. Jeezz

Bestietom

I would not mind if he went as long as we bring in another midfielder. 2 midfielders wanted if he goes and Carrick finishes.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Or just one and bring back Pereira
Thing is, Pereira doesn't play in that position.

Jose admits it's tricky with him as we can't create a position for him or expect him to play somewhere he's unfamiliar

cyril C

Will other clubs pay this much for him though? I guess he could move to China or something.
No, as a free agent many clubs will be willing. 100K/wk for 4 years = 20m, which is much less than what you might have to pay if he has 2 years contract outstanding. So he can even ask for 200K and he is still very affordable.

Back to the thread. I like him as a squad player but equally happy to let him go. Use the combined wage of Carrick + Fellaini to get a decent MF, offering competition to Herrera. And promote Tom as the 5th MF.

L1nk

Move on, i'd rather we not hand a 3 or 4 year contract to a 30 year old Marouane Fellaini when there are so many good, young, talented midfielders out there, wouldn't mind some great technical midfielders instead, get 2 midfielders in the summer.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Thing is, Pereira doesn't play in that position.

Jose admits it's tricky with him as we can't create a position for him or expect him to play somewhere he's unfamiliar
Maybe A.Pereira “doesn't play” in that position (in Valencia, in someone's imagination, etc.), but that's precisely where Mourinho played him almost every time he featured.