Jose Mourinho joins Sky Sports

Varun

Staff
I wonder if all those who wanted Jose out are having second thoughts now. He is still available.
:lol:
Mourinho was obviously a dream for rival fans. He played the role of pantomime villain to perfection and probably aggravated the fans with his evil even more than Moyes' buffoonery did.

Fans having completely unrealistic expectations didn't help him though. I've never seen an overperforming team get as much criticism for failing too keep up with the most convincing champions in the history of the league. It was just ridiculous.

He was sabotaged by Woodward though. He overperformed to get 2nd place, was handed a new contract in January, then four months later no longer has enough confidence in him to back him in the market. And besides this he was held back on a number of points. Yes, he would have perfected the cliché of himself if given free reign, by selling shaw, Martial and Pogba and replacing them with Perisic, Alderweireld, Willian and other old players but I still think you'd be better as a team if mourinho had been given full control than where you are now.
There is no chance of anything more than a flukey good season for you as long as Woodward remains in charge.
Bollocks, we'd have even more pensioners here and Mou being Mou would still be moaning about everyone being shit and needing more money. Not letting Mourinho buy and sell who he wanted was the 2nd best decision Woodward has made during his time here.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Bollocks, we'd have even more pensioners here and Mou being Mou would still be moaning about everyone being shit and needing more money. Not letting Mourinho buy and sell who he wanted was the 2nd best decision Woodward has made during his time here.
In January, it will be that Woodward no longer has any faith in solskjaer to spend his money, but won't sack him either till the summer. Proceed ad infinitum. The conditions for any manager to succeed are stacked against him.

I reckon you'd easily be a better side with Mourinho in complete charge. Even for this version of Mourinho, it's a fairly low bar to clear.

One problem that remains simply brushed under the carpet for the nonce is the fact that the players won. Mourinho wanted rid of players like Pogba and martial is because they were difficult to coach. What you're left with now is that problem having become systemic under a manager who is not even coaching this team at a high enough level for that to be an issue.

A mourinho in full charge would have at least created a coherent team identity, with a squad of players pulling in the same direction and responding to coaching and tactics. Probably would have been a lot more players let go. And probably not the ones solskjaer let go either.

Mind you, I am not saying mourinho in full charge would be the best of possible worlds for you. But better than this? Sure.

GM K

No. He's a snake oil salesman at this point who has built an effective cult of personality around himself. How self-respecting fans can still like him after the Sevilla debacle is beyond comprehension.
Oh come on. I have been and I am still a 'self respecting' United fan and I like Jose. Why people keep thinking you cannot be a true or self respectingUnited fan and like him baffles me really. I have replayed his comments after Sevilla. He (as is often his weakness) was overly emotional and egoistic but he was bang on point. The truth, like they say, is bitter. We are a great club but let's not kid ourselves, we are not the club we used to be at the moment. and the first requirement for getting back to where we belong, is to get real about where we are right now.

One day, people here will look back at the Summer after Jose got us second as the period we really screwed up as a club. I have said it before and I say it again, after that season, we should have either fired Jose immediately (and hired another top level manager to be backed) or backed Jose 100%. I prefer the latter. We did neither and here we are.

When you come second after a period of tailing from afar, you push hard for first place. You give it everything. You throw the dice. For the life of me, I don't understand why we seemed to just back off.

Okay, let us assume Mourinho was the problem, why didn't we go all out after Jose? Why not replace Herrera and Lukaku? Why not get rid of deadwoods and replace them?

Sorry if I seem to be ranting mate. Just a bit frustrated by our baffling approach to trying to get back to the top. We seem bent on self destructing.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Neville bitching about united spending £900m in 6 years and the cnut that pissed over a third of it up the wall was sat in the studio.

doriandun

Him saying he was crying for a central defender. He was allowed to buy two for what were considerable amounts of money for CBs at the time. It's his fault that not a single of the two CBs we bought were boot good enough for him. Both were purchased for fees you'd expect to be starters for the team.
We paid 30 mill a piece for Linderof and Bailly, how i look at it we would of got Maguire for 60 to 65 mill last summer, this would of allowed Jose to move on Phil Jones, Bailly, Darmian, Rojo thus offsetting the cost to Maguires purchases.

We would then have a back four of Smalling,Maguire, Linderof and a youngster.

Judas

Open to offers
It's depressing being a Utd fan right at the moment, but it's nowhere near the depression I felt around the club under Jose. It was the darkest of clouds since Fergie left, even though I'd say on the pitch we're a bigger mess now.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
So wasn’t the problem with the team associated with the lack of fitness and under a Solskjaer pre season this would turn into a dynamic, fast high attacking pressing? Maybe the problem was bigger than that, really easy to come with magic solutions, the problem is how you solve it.
To be fair, there are two main aspects to making that change. One is getting the players we have more used to and suited to that style. Even Pep and Klopp took 12-18 months to fully make that change.

The second is having the right players to be able to do it. Some players simply aren't suited at all to that style of play. Mourinho's front six always had Matic, Lukaku, Pogba and at least one (often two) of Mata and Martial. There's not a chance in hell even Klopp or Pep would have been able to get those players to play the style that they want.

Ole has come in and sold Lukaku, dropped Matic and Mata to the bench, and Martial has shown significant improvement in that regard. The one player he bought for our front six (James) also seems to suit that style quite well. So he's doing the second part well in theory. The problem is that we only bought the one player (is that Ole's fault or Ed's fault?). Our current injury crisis combined with only buying one player for the front six is resulting in us playing a lot of those unsuited players again, but there was a noticeable improvement in the pressing before those injuries. The big question mark is whether he can do the first part - continually improve the players fitness and understanding so that we end up in a good position in 12 months or so?

fergiesarmy1

I can tell none of those 2 weren't his first choice defender, we know Jose Mourinho always prefer an experienced CB with age around 26-32 and would definitely be more expensive
Seen as his average stint is 3 years or less that is a flawed plan then.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Christ he just sticks the boot right in doesn’t he. He is enjoying this and it shows.

"We were bad last season but I do not see any improvements, even with three new players.

"I like these three players and they are bringing some good quality, but the team I don't like at all. I'm not surprised by the result and I don't think Ole can take any positives from the game.

Kostov

It's depressing being a Utd fan right at the moment, but it's nowhere near the depression I felt around the club under Jose. It was the darkest of clouds since Fergie left, even though I'd say on the pitch we're a bigger mess now.
Give it a bit of time, it's still only September, it could get pretty fecking ugly very soon.

Judas

Open to offers
Give it a bit of time, it's still only September, it could get pretty fecking ugly very soon.
True, but the difference is there are some positives under Ole, there were none with Jose, and we had to deal with his general disgusting mood too. Ole I'm sick of hearing from as he just sounds like a robot, but he doesn't make me want to kill myself.

slored1

Neither him nor Ole don't have the qualify to be United managers. And he certainly shouldn't argue about not signing players for him after he brought in so much dross: Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, Matic, Bailly, Fred, Lukaku...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In January, it will be that Woodward no longer has any faith in solskjaer to spend his money, but won't sack him either till the summer. Proceed ad infinitum. The conditions for any manager to succeed are stacked against him.

I reckon you'd easily be a better side with Mourinho in complete charge. Even for this version of Mourinho, it's a fairly low bar to clear.

One problem that remains simply brushed under the carpet for the nonce is the fact that the players won. Mourinho wanted rid of players like Pogba and martial is because they were difficult to coach. What you're left with now is that problem having become systemic under a manager who is not even coaching this team at a high enough level for that to be an issue.

A mourinho in full charge would have at least created a coherent team identity, with a squad of players pulling in the same direction and responding to coaching and tactics. Probably would have been a lot more players let go. And probably not the ones solskjaer let go either.

Mind you, I am not saying mourinho in full charge would be the best of possible worlds for you. But better than this? Sure.
"A mourinho in full charge would have at least created a coherent team identity, with a squad of players pulling in the same direction and responding to coaching and tactics."

The thing is, that identity and direction that Mourinho was pulling us towards was utter wank. He was piling up a squad of expensive misfits (Lukaku) and failures (Sanchez, Bailly, Mkhitarian, Fred) and while we finished 2nd the underlying work was poor.
  • He wasn't developing Pogba, Rashford and co well. The players who were meant to be our future were struggling under him. And players like Sanchez who were supposed to fit his identity were terrible.
  • He was creating a terrible atosphere around the club.
  • The style and quality of football was drab as feck.
  • And apart from one summer he was completely backed.
At the end of the day, Ole being a complete novice, doesn't mean that sacking Mourinho was wrong. It means that the wrong man replaced him.

Kostov

True, but the difference is there are some positives under Ole, there were none with Jose, and we had to deal with his general disgusting mood too. Ole I'm sick of hearing from as he just sounds like a robot, but he doesn't make me want to kill myself.
The positives are already drowning in the pile of nonsense and it's only september. And I'm not sure why so many of you were bothered by Jose mood when he simply wasn's happy with what is happening, while give Ole the pass. If something stinks you get the shit out from under the carpet, and not play the fans for fools.

fergiesarmy1

We paid 30 mill a piece for Linderof and Bailly, how i look at it we would of got Maguire for 60 to 65 mill last summer, this would of allowed Jose to move on Phil Jones, Bailly, Darmian, Rojo thus offsetting the cost to Maguires purchases.

We would then have a back four of Smalling,Maguire, Linderof and a youngster.
How was we getting Maguire for £60-£65 million the year before :lol:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Oh come on. I have been and I am still a 'self respecting' United fan and I like Jose. Why people keep thinking you cannot be a true or self respecting United fan and like him baffles me really. I have replayed his comments after Sevilla. He (as is often his weakness) was overly emotional and egoistic but he was bang on point. The truth, like they say, is bitter. We are a great club but let's not kid ourselves, we are not the club we used to be at the moment. and the first requirement for getting back to where we belong, is to get real about where we are right now.

One day, people here will look back at the Summer after Jose got us second as the period we really screwed up as a club. I have said it before and I say it again, after that season, we should have either fired Jose immediately (and hired another top level manager to be backed) or backed Jose 100%. I prefer the latter. We did neither and here we are.

When you come second after a period of tailing from afar, you push hard for first place. You give it everything. You throw the dice. For the life of me, I don't understand why we seemed to just back off.

Okay, let us assume Mourinho was the problem, why didn't we go all out after Jose? Why not replace Herrera and Lukaku? Why not get rid of deadwoods and replace them?

Sorry if I seem to be ranting mate. Just a bit frustrated by our baffling approach to trying to get back to the top. We seem bent on self destructing.
Same.

Judas

Open to offers
The positives are already drowning in the pile of nonsense and it's only september. And I'm not sure why so many of you were bothered by Jose mood when he simply wasn's happy with what is happening, while give Ole the pass. If something stinks you get the shit out from under the carpet, and not play the fans for fools.
Jose acted like he wanted to be anywhere else from day one, he never seemed happy at the club. It was painful to watch, even though some of his frustrations were fair.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
The levels of mourinho hatred are something else on here. Its beyond anything rational to me. Personally don't hate Moyes LVG or Mourinho. They all got sacked when they should have, give or take. Don't think anyone wants any of them back again either.

Funny thing is despite the car crash 3rd season mourinho is 2nd in Uniteds history for winning % managers, just behind SAF and way above 3rd, so in a few years wont feel as bad.

I guess a lot of fans would just prefer to finish 7th under Ole playing so so football than 2nd and an f a cup final under Mourinho playing so so football, they despise him so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

B20

Supports
Liverpool
At the end of the day, Ole being a complete novice, doesn't mean that sacking Mourinho was wrong. It means that the wrong man replaced him.
Sort of. My point was that the main villain here really is Woodward.

The best choice would have been to say "thank you for second place, we already have a new guy ready to develop the team" as soon as the season ended in 2018. Bit like spurs did with redknapp. Would have been too bold pr-wise, and required too much insight, for Woodward to ever contemplate though. He got there half-hearted though, by not backing him in the summer.

The right choice would have been to back him without reservation from the beginning as well as that summer.

The choice that absolutely should not have been made was to not back the manager financially, allow a manager vs player conflict to escalate without allowing the manager to resolve it or sacking the manager, send everyone into the season tightly strung and half-cocked, and then only when there was nothing left to play for, replace him with a novice and give him a long term contract.

Woodward will absolutely continue with these sort of half-hearted incomplete solutions every step of the way (managed expertly again this summer) and then base the long term decisions on whichever way the wind has been blowing the past month.

Solskjaer will have in common with Mourinho that we'll never know what he could have accomplished with a proper C-level structure behind him,as opposed to hampering him.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Can't believe we are having this debate again whether it was right to sack Mourinho or not. Even he himself admitted live on air last night he was deservedly sacked! Move the feck on.

"A mourinho in full charge would have at least created a coherent team identity, with a squad of players pulling in the same direction and responding to coaching and tactics."

The thing is, that identity and direction that Mourinho was pulling us towards was utter wank. He was piling up a squad of expensive misfits (Lukaku) and failures (Sanchez, Bailly, Mkhitarian, Fred) and while we finished 2nd the underlying work was poor.
  • He wasn't developing Pogba, Rashford and co well. The players who were meant to be our future were struggling under him. And players like Sanchez who were supposed to fit his identity were terrible.
  • He was creating a terrible atosphere around the club.
  • The style and quality of football was drab as feck.
  • And apart from one summer he was completely backed.
I don't disagree with anything you said but tell me one thing, did we not know all of this would occur when we hired Mourinho in the first place? When has he preferred to develop youth instead of relying on experienced veterans to execute his ideas? Why would he change his methods at United?

Sort of. My point was that the main villain here really is Woodward.

The best choice would have been to say "thank you for second place, we already have a new guy ready to develop the team" as soon as the season ended in 2018. Bit like spurs did with redknapp. Would have been too bold pr-wise, and required too much insight, for Woodward to ever contemplate though. He got there half-hearted though, by not backing him in the summer.

The right choice would have been to back him without reservation from the beginning as well as that summer.

The choice that absolutely should not have been made was to not back the manager financially, allow a manager vs player conflict to escalate without allowing the manager to resolve it or sacking the manager, send everyone into the season tightly strung and half-cocked, and then only when there was nothing left to play for, replace him with a novice and give him a long term contract.

Woodward will absolutely continue with these sort of half-hearted incomplete solutions every step of the way (managed expertly again this summer) and then base the long term decisions on whichever way the wind has been blowing the past month.

Solskjaer will have in common with Mourinho that we'll never know what he could have accomplished with a proper C-level structure behind him,as opposed to hampering him.
Save for few idiots, no one would deny that Woodward in large part triggered Mourinho's meltdown. There was no logical reasoning to renewing his contract mid-way through the season, that could've been visited during May and if the board (Woodward) felt that we weren't heading in the right direction he should've been sacked right then. Woodward picked the worst possible combo, not only did he give him another year (hence a larger pay packet when sacked) but he pissed a whole season by overruling his targets. I absolutely despise that snake, 4 managers would've failed under his tenure here.

Dolf

Neither him nor Ole don't have the qualify to be United managers. And he certainly shouldn't argue about not signing players for him after he brought in so much dross: Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, Matic, Bailly, Fred, Lukaku...
At the time those were good signings.
Mkhitaryan was giving assists for fun in the Bundesliga. We needed Raiola to literally throw some chairs around to get Dortmund to sell him.
Sanchez had been one of the best/better players in the PL for many years and he was available on a free.
We couldn't believe Chelsea let go of Matic at the time.
Bailly was a promising talent and looked great at Villareal, he was good for us in the beginning too.
Lukaku was one of the top goalscorers in the PL when we bought him and we needed a striker. His body and style of football completely changed under Mourinho, not for the better i'd say.
Fred: okay i'll give you Fred but he's good for squad depth.

Hindsight is a great thing but don't forget that sometimes there weren't really any good alternatives left and we desperately needed new players. I think all of these players except Matic and Sanchez could have worked out under a stable regime.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Do you read the Caf at all? Everyone agrees with this.
I took loads of flak for actually saying so at the time. That summer the winds were mainly in the "at least woodward is doing damage control" on here.

That and claiming that mourinho was not the sole creator of all the problems with Pogba when you were still riding high under Solkskjaer is basically what got me banned from the united foru (I guess. Never got an actual reason).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can't believe we are having this debate again whether it was right to sack Mourinho or not. Even he himself admitted live on air last night he was deservedly sacked! Move the feck on.

I don't disagree with anything you said but tell me one thing, did we not know all of this would occur when we hired Mourinho in the first place? When has he preferred to develop youth instead of relying on experienced veterans to execute his ideas? Why would he change his methods at United?

Save for few idiots, no one would deny that Woodward in large part triggered Mourinho's meltdown. There was no logical reasoning to renewing his contract mid-way through the season, that could've been visited during May and if the board (Woodward) felt that we weren't heading in the right direction he should've been sacked right then. Woodward picked the worst possible combo, not only did he give him another year (hence a larger pay packet when sacked) but he pissed a whole season by overruling his targets. I absolutely despise that snake, 4 managers would've failed under his tenure here.
Oh I agree. People here definitely deluded themsleves into thinking he would change. And maybe so did he and the management. But the fact is, Mourinho didn't do Mourinho well either.

Rooney24

Christ he just sticks the boot right in doesn’t he. He is enjoying this and it shows.

"We were bad last season but I do not see any improvements, even with three new players.

"I like these three players and they are bringing some good quality, but the team I don't like at all. I'm not surprised by the result and I don't think Ole can take any positives from the game.
But hes not wrong to be fair.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
did anyone actually see him say this? For obvious reasons I turned off the TV as soon as the football finished
Yep he did. Though it was more along the lines of "I probably deserved to be sacked because I was the manager and the manager takes responsibility" than "I probably deserved to be sacked because I did a bad job".

dev1l

I dont think he could do any better with the players at his disposal yesterday. But narcissistic as he is, he always thinks he s right,even though the rot started long before Ole took over

Kostov

Jose acted like he wanted to be anywhere else from day one, he never seemed happy at the club. It was painful to watch, even though some of his frustrations were fair.
I don't agree about that first sentence. I think he came on very eager and realizing that it's a great opportunity for him to establish a legacy at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Of course I don't excuse the many mistakes he made during his time here, but somewhere along the line he clearly lost the patience with what is happening above him and it all went downhill after that.

The most damning part for me, and what scares me, is that a talented and proven manager like him failed here, how are we going to fare with someone like Ole, who to be very sincere, looks out of his depth.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I watched bit of prematch show, the bit where he said Lindelof was weak in the air summed up how half arsed he was for ManUtd. He said Lindelof can be bullied, weak in the air and somehow signed him for the club.

It's not like he was forced to sign him, Duncan Castles reported long back that Lindelof was at the top of the list and he reported this 6 months before Lindelof was signed.

DoomSlayer

I loved the fact that Keane was saying how bad the recruitment has been in the last 3 years to Mourinho's face. Jose actually seemed a bit scared to say anything against Keano and always agreed to his points. :lol:

fergiesarmy1

I loved the fact that Keane was saying how bad the recruitment has been in the last 3 years to Mourinho's face. Jose actually seemed a bit scared to say anything against Keano and always agreed to his points. :lol:
Only saw the pre match jibber jabber and I heard him say twice “I agree with what Roy just said”. Big wuss :lol:

UncleBob

I don't agree about that first sentence. I think he came on very eager and realizing that it's a great opportunity for him to establish a legacy at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Of course I don't excuse the many mistakes he made during his time here, but somewhere along the line he clearly lost the patience with what is happening above him and it all went downhill after that.

The most damning part for me, and what scares me, is that a talented and proven manager like him failed here, how are we going to fare with someone like Ole, who to be very sincere, looks out of his depth.

Mental.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wish someone had presence of mind to ask him, why did he sign Lindelof when he was poor header of the ball.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Tbf to Mourinho, after a few weeks under Ole knives were really out for him. People all around the globe questioned how United could be this transformed and how much fun it was watching the team again. Must have been a real downer to Mourinho. Luckily for him things not only evened out, it got a lot worse this season.

At the end of the day Mourinho got what he deserved, but i don't get it why he couldn't accustom himself a bit better to the situation. I mean he's already got enough money and he's at the helm of one of the biggest clubs in the world, why not try a bit harder? After United employed him he mentioned that 'ancient' clubs are for the best managers, but he threw it all away, for what, another payout?! I really don't it.

UncleBob

Bizarre situation when our former manager, rightly sacked for a combination of horrible performances and his general behavior, is sat in a studio passing judgement on the situation and current form, something that is very much related to his stint as a manager.

I mean, either ask him some difficult questions about his time at the club, if there's a relation, the money spent and players signed during his reign, or don't have him in the studio to comment on United.

It's absurd to see the amount of shit he spouts without being questioned about his own role. His comments about the Chelsea youngsters, for instance:

In the same vein, Mourinho also heaped praise on Tammy Abraham who scored 26 goals for Aston Villa last season. The 56-year-old said, "You want a young striker - Tammy Abraham! He's yours. He knows the club. He was made at the club, he was educated at the club. He was on loan, he played already some matches in the Premier League, he plays in the Championship but Championship at the highest level with the responsibility to play at a big club like Aston Villa. He's ready."

How about a quick "Oy Jose, what about Lukaku returned to Chelsea from his successful loan stint, what about Salah, Kevin De Bruyne ?. Isn't it a bit rich that you're pointing out youngsters that are seemingly ready to play for Chelsea, yet you consistently opted against doing so yourself ?"

UncleBob

Tbf to Mourinho, after a few weeks under Ole knives were really out for him. People all around the globe questioned how United could be this transformed and how much fun it was watching the team again. Must have been a real downer to Mourinho. Luckily for him things not only evened out, it got a lot worse this season.

At the end of the day Mourinho got what he deserved, but i don't get it why he couldn't accustom himself a bit better to the situation. I mean he's already got enough money and he's at the helm of one of the biggest clubs in the world, why not try a bit harder? After United employed him he mentioned that 'ancient' clubs are for the best managers, but he threw it all away, for what, another payout?! I really don't it.
Not really.