Jose Mourinho | Sacked by Roma

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Must be a directive from the squad and the toxicity, which almost always seems to breed in his 3rd year, as they could quite easily still finish in the CL spots right?
They're not going to. They haven't in his previous two seasons either.

KeanoMagicHat

Tough day for the pro-Mourinho crowd. ‘Was Jose right?’ like we should have kept him longer than 3 seasons despite 20+ years experience saying otherwise and him trying to get himself sacked. He was always the virus.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's 60 now which is on the verge of retirement in football management, he was football next biggest thing, the "special one" but got found out rather quickly with his tactics and attitude, only can throw your players under the bus so much. Best job for him is the National Team, England/Portugal or Brazil where he wouldn't have to get two craps about team bonding etc and he can semi retire on a pay packet that will feed his family for years to come
The career peak of a football manager is usually shorter than people think. Sacchi is (IMO) the most influent football manager to exist and his peak was less than 5 seasons. Mourinho won titles regularly between 2002 and 2017.

If you remove Ancelotti and Sir Alex from the equation, you'll find little to none football managers who actually had longer peaks.

Wiesenlooser

Supports
Bayern Munich
Won a title for them, got to European league final, I wouldn’t call this a failure.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'm sure some of us know what it's like to be a leader or top tier in class to then lose that mantle and fall back in with the pack for whatever reason, be it fatigue, age, boredom or just having had enough, but what must it be like for a narcissist like Jose to go from all-time conversations, to good coach, to average, to falling way below the pack to the stage of being an also-ran relic?

Nobody really knows whether he just doesn't care anymore and the latter stage of his career is a money grab, but if it isn't, and he's still trying his very best, and has that same pride and ego about him that he carried for so many years, there's no wonder he's so much more angry and disgruntled than he used to be.

Jose has his past and his achievements, but I don't think someone who was so forward-thinking in the past will be satisfied with that; to see peers of his still at the top of their game and being world innovators and perennially lauded for their brilliance, has to do something to him - those were the class of manager he used to go to war with in world broadcast and billed games! These days, they are so far beyond him that it's tragic. There'll be some who believe it's just a matter of giving Jose a Newcastle-sized budget and he'd be back, but is that really the case?

So many of his peers will walk away from football at the top, on their own terms, celebrated to the very end, but Jose has become a meme and a coach most pray doesn't get mentioned in association with their club. It's a very, very strange end to a manager that contests so highly in the all-time standings of club football.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ah balls, now we face a Roma that will actually try to utilize it's attacking talent. Think we had a far better chance against a Mourinho in meltdown mode team.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Won a title for them, got to European league final, I wouldn’t call this a failure.
It isn't a failure, I'd say his tenure has been a success but not a resounding one. Abraham's goals drying up has cost them big time

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
I would say his performance in Roma was not good but not bad either, the Conference League victory and the Europa League final is sn improvement for Roma while in the League Roma has been sort of in the same situation for several years now.
It didn't help at all that for the 2nd year in a row he basically didn't have money for transfers.
He also suffered from the horrendous finishing ability the team has, so many games they could have won if their forwards just put one in of all those sitters.

Lee565

And yet some fans and media want to push this notion that man united have tried the best managers and still failed........

He has been washed up for a long time, he peaked at madrid and ever since has become less and less in touch with modern football, even when he won the title with Chelsea the second time round he actually had a pretty bad second half of the season in that title winning season and can remember a lot of underwhelming draws and got by on good results in the first half of that season.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Mourinho sacked in his 3rd season? I am shocked.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
While I’m far from his biggest fan, isn’t getting sacked in one’s third season actually above average for a coach at a bigger club?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Again, whilst it’s all gone to shit in his third season, he still achieved something there. It’s only Spurs where he’s not won anything.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I really don't know where he goes from here if he wants to stay in club football. Roma was probably the best match for him in the big five leagues. If it weren't for their rivalry with Roma I would say maybe Lazio in a year or two, but they probably don't want him now either.

Saudi Arabia perhaps? Otherwise, it almost feels like he might have to drop down to a Turkish league or back to Portugal, or wait for a lower table team in one of the big leagues to go for him to get them out of relegation trouble. Either way, he'll have to step even further down now.

He probably should just go for a national team, which would likely suit him a lot more at this point in his career.

GazTheLegend

Would anyone else have him in for 6 months??? :lol: :lol: no danger of third season syndrome if he's here as an interim.

And he was -spot on- about Martial and Pogba wasn't he. Player power done him in the end, much like with... Well, every other manager we had.

(I joke of course. You should never go back to your dodgy ex)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Deep line defense and counter attack football is on its way out. Allegri, Mourinho and Conte are either out of a job or struggling into it. Roma is a horrible club to work for as well. They are the football equivalent of a chihuahua ie they think and act as if they are a big side when they are not

quadrant

Hard to argue that his performance at Roma was anything than bog standard. Two 6th placed finishes, and way off the top 4 both times. The Europa Conference sounds laudable til you look at teams they played on route to the final. Not a catastrophe, but there's certainly no Mourinho-boost on show.

led_scholes

The career peak of a football manager is usually shorter than people think. Sacchi is (IMO) the most influent football manager to exist and his peak was less than 5 seasons. Mourinho won titles regularly between 2002 and 2017.

If you remove Ancelotti and Sir Alex from the equation, you'll find little to none football managers who actually had longer peaks.
This is true. Heynckes and Rehhagel could be included in this list (and few more too), but in general the peak is short. It makes sense though. They have to lead players (from different generations) , while being in touch with modern tactics.

For example Ancelloti had to manage players during his career ranging from baby boomers to Gen z.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Where's that one Roma fan who used to say we were fools for sacking him?

Wiesenlooser

Supports
Bayern Munich
And yet some fans and media want to push this notion that man united have tried the best managers and still failed........

He has been washed up for a long time, he peaked at madrid and ever since has become less and less in touch with modern football, even when he won the title with Chelsea the second time round he actually had a pretty bad second half of the season in that title winning season and can remember a lot of underwhelming draws and got by on good results in the first half of that season.
People said the same about Ancelotti. I think Mourinho did fine with Roma. They basically had no resources.

sugar_kane

Anyone seriously thinking he isn't past it can't have watched the Europa final. That was hands down one of the most horrendous performances I've ever witnessed, and that's before you even get into his appalling conduct after the game.

He was bad by the end for United, he's only got worse. Newcastle or whoever would be mad to hire him, and I don't think it's just as simple as him having a decent budget (which he had to start with at United)

tenhagsimp

This is true. Heynckes and Rehhagel could be included in this list (and few more too), but in general the peak is short. It makes sense though. They have to lead players (from different generations) , while being in touch with modern tactics.

For example Ancelloti had to manage players during his career ranging from baby boomers to Gen z.
The funniest thing is Everton for once managed to get their hands on truly world class Manager and they managed to feck it up and fired him. It's like some random ass dude in the streets marry Angelina Jolie only to divorce her. I would gladly take Ancelotti here.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The funniest thing is Everton for once managed to get their hands on truly world class Manager and they managed to feck it up and fired him. It's like some random ass dude in the streets marry Angelina Jolie only to divorce her. I would gladly take Ancelotti here.
He wasn't fired. He resigned to join Real Madrid.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Everton didn't sack Ancelotti, he resigned when Real Madrid came calling.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Bitter, deluded, sacked... again.

Will he go find some joy and then we'll see the old Mou back?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why is it sad? Was a successful manager, but is he a great? Awful and negative management style, liked to throw players under the bus, toxic attitude, and generally negative playing style.
He’s defining a great. Not my personal preference for type of manager but definitely one of the greats. Sad because of what I already said - to see him go from such heights to such lows.