Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Will Singh

Will he do well? Yes.
Do I want to see him do well? Nope.
The Caf’s gonna crash if he wins the league with them? HELL feckING YEAH

SirAF

Ageist
And losing the job eventually. Point is London doesn't guarantee he's going to be the superstar he once was
A league win makes up for pretty much anything though. You are of course right that being based in London doesn’t guarantee anything, but I think it’s a significant plus at the very least

Snafu17

Yeah, we're definitely losing against them at OT in two weeks time.

Gavinb33

Poch spent around £50m in his first year (and had a negative net spend), around £70m in his second year (net spend of around 25m), £112m in his third year (net spend of £25m), £0 in his fourth summer and £88m this summer (net spend of £60m)

This isn't ending well at all, Spurs simply have to balance the books

Morpheus 7

Awful short term appointment when there is serious surgery needed to that side. A manager that has always moaned about getting the finished player for top dollar, to a club owner who wants to find talent on the cheap. This will end way uglier than United, real and Chelsea exit. Be quality viewing, not that I want Jose to fail but this feels all wrong.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I really hope Mourinho has a chance to end the scouser's hopes once again, like he did in 2014. That would be hilarious.
Yeah I have been dreading the thought of this since yesterday. Wouldn’t have been an easy 3 points but it’s a hell of a lot tougher now.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I guess they're just desperate for trophies, any trophy.
Pointless having that shiny new stadium without a shiny trophy I guess :lol:

I can see the logic, sort of. To take Spurs to the next level, they do need to start winning (something....anything at this point!).

But the choice of manager versus how the club/Levy operates (wage structure, spend) seems a terrible fit.

But I don't take either of them for fools, so there'd definitely have been chats and promises made around signings etc. but whether that becomes reality (especially if they are to miss out on top 4) is anyone's guess.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Awful news for Spurs fans with the sacking of Poch, followed by even worse news.

If you're lucky he'll be fine till the end of the season. Welcome to hearing about Jose more than Spurs or its players.

RedNed77

He is going to be successful there. Spurs have a good squad that would suit him. He doesn't even need to spend a lot, and if there's any manager capable of getting the best out of a decent squad it's him - he has shown that at previous clubs at least.
He will have the perfect striker to call upon, wingers that excel at both ends, experienced defenders, midfielders that would run all day, and hardworking AMs capable of magical moments. I think the biggest challenge would be getting the likes of Alderweireld, Vertoghen, Kane, Eriksen, Lo Celso to stay and perform if they've still got it. I desperately want him to do well.
Why would you “desperately” want the manager of one of our rivals to do well?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
A league win makes up for pretty much anything though. You are of course right that being based in London doesn’t guarantee anything, but I think it’s a significant plus at the very least
You're right, but I don't see the title coming their way for a few years. Liverpool are going from strength to strength, City with their muscle will be there, Chelsea are in an ascendency, Utd could, with the right personnel, Leicester?
It's got more competitive. He's going to need significant backing. Will he get it?

Judas

Open to offers
I do want to see it going tits up because of Spurs fans and Jose fanboys, who are insufferable. I don't dislike the bloke, but the worshippers test my patience.

mu4c_20le

They have the quality to be better than 14th so it's a tad misleading. They should be fine but there's only the FA Cup to genuinely go for.
I wouldn't bet against that being a trophy and let's face it Spurs' fans will be over the moon
Written in the stars isn't it.
Their next five:

(A) West Ham
(H) Olympiacos
(H) Bournemouth
(A) Man Utd
(H) Burnley

All winnable, and then they got Bayern away in the last group stage match which they will probably be on a high and dig deep to grind out a result.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This is an absolute disaster waiting to happen.

Mourinho under Levy? The very reason Pochettino ultimately failed is kryptonite to Mourinho.

Ekeke

Well this will be interesting. He takes over Spurs at a similar stage to where he was sacked at United. Of course doing well at Spurs from this point doesnt mean he would have pulled us back from where we were last season, its a completely different situation. But I will be interested to see who he's blaming after a few bad results

SirAF

Ageist
You're right, but I don't see the title coming their way for a few years. Liverpool are going from strength to strength, City with their muscle will be there, Chelsea are in an ascendency, Utd could, with the right personnel, Leicester?
It's got more competitive. He's going to need significant backing. Will he get it?
To be fair, he doesn’t need to win the title to be a success at Tottenham - I don’t think anyone can expect that. Top four, and a cup or two would be a decent return for a club like them.

It’s an... interesting fit though.

Sultan

Can he kindly take Matic off us in exchange for Son? We'll even give him enough money to bring back Fellaini from China.

Drainy

Obviously I hope United win everything we can, but failing that it would be hilarious if Spurs won something to see Arsenal fans reaction since they were adamant they wouldn't have him due to the rivalry. They hated him before.. imagine if he makes Spurs successful.

sugar_kane

Rotten manager for a rotten club. They didn’t deserve Poch and the normal order is restored.

I hope one of first acts is to bring Fellaini back to the PL in Jan.

Bwuk

I think he’ll do well with them initially, and long term it’ll depend how he’s backed financially.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Horrendous appointment. The guy has dramatically lost control of his last two jobs and has torn the place down on his way out both times. Clubs are never better off for having him around. This isn't what Spurs need at all.

Nr.7

“Is this the real life? Is this football fantasy?”

Cloud7

Ahh I love it. Jose is brilliant entertainment to have around the league when it’s not your team he’s managing. Can’t wait for his first NLD at the Emirates.

vidic blood & sand

I'm starting to think that Pochettino had been seriously tapped by Real, and Levy got wind of it, and so assumed it was seriously affecting the team. No sense to this otherwise.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This will be interesting, has he learned a lesson on tactics or will he revert to type?

Will N’Dombele get the Pogba treatment? Will Willian move across London? Can we shift Matic on to Spurs?

Snafu17

I’m not so sure - if Pogba is back expect him and Martial to be unstoppable.
I don't know, I feel like everything is set up exactly the way that suits Mourinho. Nobody expects any progress in two weeks so he'll be somewhat of an underdog, they'll set up deep which we struggle against, he obviously knows a lot about our players, he'll have his team fired up and they'll likely get that early new manager bounce. It's just perfectly set up for them.

AFC NimbleThumb

You know, I don't think he will.

He didn't lay into former clubs after being sacked...not in the bitter way you'd expect
I don’t think he’ll be explicit. He’ll be ‘new Mourinho’ all over again but I sense his subliminal messaging will kick in at a point.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting one, a panic move I guess as Spurs need CL football I guess to pay for the stadium...

Presumably they lost faith in Poch getting it so they've gone for Mourinho instead.

Sultan

Arsenal fans must be relieved he won't be replacing Emery.

Imagine Poch taking over at Arsenal?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm starting to think that Pochettino had been seriously tapped by Real, and Levy got wind of it, and so assumed it was seriously affecting the team. No sense to this otherwise.
Or he lost the dressing room because several key players wouldn’t renew their contracts?
Or maybe they felt that they should have beaten Liverpool in the CL final? Maybe they had a bit of a bust up after that?

All speculation, we will have to wait for Harry Kanes book or Toby A to spill on Twitter