Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Jose's star is obviously failing. Tottenham was a pretty big step down from his previous echelon of clubs to manage. He went from managing clubs with near "endless" funds and squads that are supposed to compete for PL and CL titles, to Tottenham, a overperforming club with a smaller fanbase than his previous clubs and a owner who's famous for being stingier than Scrooge McDuck.

He could get away with his personality when he was "The Great One", but you can't go on losing streaks and publicly flay your players. Reports already that Ndombele refuses to have anything to do with Mourinho.

romufc

I agree with that - based on how Levy has been since he came he will only spend cash if we manage to sell players which is our biggest problem as he simply refuses to sell players for anything less than the price he puts on them. He bids very low on players we need then plays games with the clubs to a point that they no longer want to do business with him - the amount of deals he has single handedly screwed up for us by asking for an additional payment right at the last minute. You wouldn't believe it. Levy is the biggest problem we have as a club in terms of transfers and building a team - off the pitch he is doing wonders but as a fan it's the stuff on the pitch I really care about and he has been absolutely terrible.
Oh believe me, I can understand your frustration. We have one Ed Woodward who isnt too dissimilar. The good thing is when a manager doesnt want a player we get rid and not get too fussed over the price. I.e Shneiderlin, Depay etc where I think Levy would have wanted alot more money.

I also feel clubs do not like doing business with him because of how he deals with it.

jackal&hyde

Well we shall see and no doubt I'll continue to get slaughtered in here for supporting our manager. My support is not infinite but as I've said, I don't blame the guy for this right now.
You have some good players though and the team looks bad in attack and bad in defense. A rebuild was always on the cards but looking from the outside, the atmosphere looks depressing there. Don't know how you turn that around with Mourinho unless you have 200 mil to spend.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Sacking him has proved a double win. We got a better proposition in Ole for our club (still don't rate him as a manager but he's better than Moanrinho) and we ruined a rival for top 4.

Probably Ed's best bit of transfer business than even buying Fernandes.

lysglimt

Scout
When you look at the crap Mourinho did for us in his last 6-8 months at the club - I can't understand why Spurs hired him.

I am seriously worried for this Spurs-side - they have an ageing goalkeeper, no good defenders, and Son and Harry Kane who seriously must consider their future at the club as they are getting close to that age where they are about to sign their last big contract. And why the hell would it be with Spurs ?

acnumber9

The fans expect us to win every match and challenge for the title and all the trophies. That is how it is here now - we may be a bit deluded (we are football fans after all) but we want to win. To suggest we don't is just wrong. The club is aiming to be one of the top clubs in Europe.
Anyone who expects Spurs to win trophies with the squad they have at the moment is wrong I’m afraid. He’s expected to win most weeks because Spurs have generally done that for the last few years. They had stopped doing that before Mourinho came in though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The fans expect us to win every match and challenge for the title and all the trophies. That is how it is here now - we may be a bit deluded (we are football fans after all) but we want to win. To suggest we don't is just wrong. The club is aiming to be one of the top clubs in Europe.
Do you really think you have the spending and star power for that?

your team under Poch had an aura, under Jose they aren't scary at all.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
When you look at the crap Mourinho did for us in his last 6-8 months at the club - I can't understand why Spurs hired him.

I am seriously worried for this Spurs-side - they have an ageing goalkeeper, no good defenders, and Son and Harry Kane who seriously must consider their future at the club as they are getting close to that age where they are about to sign their last big contract. And why the hell would it be with Spurs ?
When you see how Moyes, Pardew, etc get panic appointed due to "proven pedigree" then it's easy to see why Mou still does, even if he's showing none of the characteristics that made him great. I reckon some owners/chairman believe they'll be able to 'fix' him as a manager, like the delusional teenage girl who thinks the local gobby chav is misunderstood and under her guidance he'll turn into a well mannered commited 9-5er.

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see him at Arsenal next.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Anyone who expects Spurs to win trophies with the squad they have at the moment is wrong I’m afraid. He’s expected to win most weeks because Spurs have generally done that for the last few years. They had stopped doing that before Mourinho came in though.
Do you really think you have the spending and star power for that?

your team under Poch had an aura, under Jose they aren't scary at all.
We are football fans and as a result there is an inbuilt delusion of grandeur for all of us. Do I think it's likely? Nope - Do I think it's possible? Yes - Do I want it to happen and get frustrated and annoyed when we fail? - Yes very much so.

This is the life of a football fan - you guys and most of the football world may not believe or think Spurs are a big club or think we are capable of winning things but please don't think that is what us Spurs fans believe because we desperately want our club to succeed and we want and believe we should be right up there with the Utds, Liverpools, Citys, Chelseas of this world and we put pressure on the team and the owners to deliver it. Jose is under pressure here to deliver success just as much as he has been anywhere else - Levy won't be afraid to sack him if things don't start turning around next season.

Rob Corona

This guy will keep failing until he improves his players fitness training. When he was here with us you saw how much our players lacked intensity and workrate. You look at modern managers like klopp, poch and pep and you notice how their players are always in prime condition. Its not that spurs players are not interested but that they're not in good condition. Wasn't Oles first complaint after he took over about player fitness levels?

Watching the game today and you could see how easy it was for Sheffield to score their second and third goal. No urgency from spurs.

I find it amusing and sad watching his downfall.
You point at better fitness is key to better performance, and pick out klopp, poch and pep as modern managers that has fit players.
Then you acknowledge that Solskjaer very early said he want better fitness.

Truth is, Solskjaer said he saw it natural that every Manchester United player should have the desire to give more and fight more than everyone else, and that this spirit provides the foundation for the winning mentality.

Just curious why you as a Manchester United supporter put three other managers on a pedestal as modern managers for prioritizing fitness, and leave your own manager to a side comment? How come you *ank to other managers abilities when Ole is your manager and is delivering beyond everyones expectations ?
Do you see how toxic it is yourself to praise the fecking opposition all the time?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We are football fans and as a result there is an inbuilt delusion of grandeur for all of us. Do I think it's likely? Nope - Do I think it's possible? Yes - Do I want it to happen and get frustrated and annoyed when we fail? - Yes very much so.

This is the life of a football fan - you guys and most of the football world may not believe or think Spurs are a big club or think we are capable of winning things but please don't think that is what us Spurs fans believe because we desperately want our club to succeed and we want and believe we should be right up there with the Utds, Liverpools, Citys, Chelseas of this world and we put pressure on the team and the owners to deliver it. Jose is under pressure here to deliver success just as much as he has been anywhere else - Levy won't be afraid to sack him if things don't start turning around next season.
nothing wrong with hopes and dreams, we are united fans feel that way also but realistically we know it's some way off.

I just feel like they've made a huge error not backing Poch more.

KennyBurner

You point at better fitness is key to better performance, and pick out klopp, poch and pep as modern managers that has fit players.
Then you acknowledge that Solskjaer very early said he want better fitness.

Truth is, Solskjaer said he saw it natural that every Manchester United player should have the desire to give more and fight more than everyone else, and that this spirit provides the foundation for the winning mentality.

Just curious why you as a Manchester United supporter put three other managers on a pedestal as modern managers for prioritizing fitness, and leave your own manager to a side comment? How come you *ank to other managers abilities when Ole is your manager and is delivering beyond everyones expectations ?
Do you see how toxic it is yourself to praise the fecking opposition all the time?
Focus on mourinho. Ole has been here for 1 and a half seasons while the 3 I mentioned have been playing at the top for multiple seasons. Those 3 mangers have always conditioned their plalyers to have better fitness than their opposition. That is why I used them as the benchmark.
Also don’t be silly, Ole is not performing above expectations. He is doing well giving the circumstances and that’s it.

Mindhunter

Mourinho had a point though yesterday. The VAR handball was extremely harsh and came at a bad time in the game for them. It erased their equalizer. If that was given, the game could have been different.

Also, as others have pointed out, he is clearly operating under extreme limitations. Fitness is obviously a problem and the sense of despair due to not being able to remove players who were clearly not motivated to play for the team has sapped the morale of others. This is where Levy needs to understand the footballing side of things instead of making all decisions based on an Excel sheet.

The team is calling out for some fresh faces and injection of some quality which obviously won't be possible now due to a few foolish decisions by Levy. Firstly, he put all his eggs under one basket by deciding to bet the future of the club on a grand new stadium which would look better on the balance sheet than money spent on players. Given the Covid-19 situation, that investment will now take longer to pay off and break even. Secondly, he refused to sell players when their stock was high due to some misguided notion that he would be strengthening rivals. He could have used that money to buy players.

To make matters worse, he hired Mourinho in the hope that he would be able to get the most out of his existing players, thereby hiding the gaps in recruitment. It was a gamble that hasn't paid off. In his desperation he got a manager who is clearly at odds with the modern game and whose MO is now very clear to everyone around. I can only see dark days ahead for Spurs. They may have blown up all the good work that happened under Pochetino to improve the profile of the club.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
This is the spiral Spurs want to avoid...

1) Investment in brand new stadium, thereby limiting funds for the future

2) Crucially, missing the point to sell very saleable assets (Eriksen, Dier, Rose, Alli, Vertonghan, Alderweireld) while stock was high. Instead of 250 +million, value has plummeted.

3) Hiring manager well known for immediate gains and using senior players for a rebuild that is severely compromised by 1) and crucially, 2)

4) Realising that, while still being a salvageable situation (Kane, Son, Lo Celso, some young talents), that they now have a rebuild to do with the boat missed on sales and only really Ndombele who is dispensable and could go for good money....and knowing this, sticking with Mourinho and wasting the last opportunity.

Spurs have done 1, 2 and 3 already, that is done and dusted. I think it’s crucial for them that they stop before number 4 and get in someone skillful, with a plan in mind, who can navigate a tricky situation and maneuver them back into a positive situation.

He is not the right man for a job that Levy has made 100% more difficult and it shouldn’t even be attempted. Aborting in the summer is the only move for both parties if they want to avoid heartache.

buckooo1978

You could be right but what I'll say about it is that this has been coming - it's been coming before Jose got the job. Poch said we needed a 'painful rebuild' and he was right. This is the only reason I'm not turning against Jose right now and why I still feel he needs to be given time to try and sort it out. The club has been a mess for over a year and it's going to take quite a bit of time to turn it around. I don't think changing the manager will do anything because if it was to happen now the next manager will be faced with exactly the same problems. Our recruitment over the past 2 or 3 years is the reason why we are where we are. That is down to one man - Daniel Levy.
I've always felt myself that the Spurs team was a ticking time bomb in some ways.

You had a high performing squad paid a relative pittance with an excellent manager. Selling key players, players getting older, players maybe losing their hunger, players feeling underpaid perhaps, Kane's injury meant Spurs slid backwards a little. Poch seemed that he had taken you as far as he could.

Still a very talented squad at the minute and with the right manager and transfer strategy you could do well.

Mourinho will get his chance but I literally can't think of many top flight managers more ill suited to doing it given it looks like he will operate with a smaller budget.

In his time at United I literally can't really point to anything he did to improve us from a coaching perspective. Had he had his way and stayed another year I think Martual would be at Chelsea and Rashford would have left. He would have swapped Martial for Willian.

with the results poor and they have been awful he will scapegoat players and this will divide the fans. It already seems that he's targeted N'Dombele. How cowardly he was against United the other week too. It was sickening to have a manager who didn't play to win and I can see that at Spurs already. His priority is to not lose.

You are relying on a manager giving youth a chance but he didn't give Troy Parrot a look-in when Kane/Son/etc were out

I might be wrong but I don't think I will be. Mourinho is finished as a top club manager. Grim times ahead for Spurs.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I actually agree with his reaction about the referee. There’s no point talking to the match referee as the referee making the big decisions is sitting in an office somewhere.

Other than that, love how badly Spurs are doing and playing. Lethargic and lacking energy just like United were under him.

SAFMUTD

His star faded a long time ago, he's just a shadow of what he used to be. I dont see how any squad tolerates his man managment with the last results his given, he was tolerated before because he was a proven winner the players reacted and respected him.

Now that his time has passed I think he's only 2-3 teams away from retirement the top team doors are getting shut for him really fast, I think Spurs will be his last team in the EPL. His last chance is Italy, but since Inter is doing great with Conte he doesnt have that many options.

Rob Corona

Focus on mourinho. Ole has been here for 1 and a half seasons while the 3 I mentioned have been playing at the top for multiple seasons. Those 3 mangers have always conditioned their plalyers to have better fitness than their opposition. That is why I used them as the benchmark.
Also don’t be silly, Ole is not performing above expectations. He is doing well giving the circumstances and that’s it.
Poor memory?
Less than 10% of the fans expected Ole to manage top 4 this season.
So Ole will - if so happens - do better than what 90% of fan base expected.
You advocate yourself that you expect he will manage top 3, and still you mean Ole is not doing above expectations? :houllier::houllier::houllier:

lysglimt

Scout
When you see how Moyes, Pardew, etc get panic appointed due to "proven pedigree" then it's easy to see why Mou still does, even if he's showing none of the characteristics that made him great. I reckon some owners/chairman believe they'll be able to 'fix' him as a manager, like the delusional teenage girl who thinks the local gobby chav is misunderstood and under her guidance he'll turn into a well mannered commited 9-5er.

Good point

UncleBob

Mourinho had a point though yesterday. The VAR handball was extremely harsh and came at a bad time in the game for them. It erased their equalizer. If that was given, the game could have been different.

Also, as others have pointed out, he is clearly operating under extreme limitations. Fitness is obviously a problem and the sense of despair due to not being able to remove players who were clearly not motivated to play for the team has sapped the morale of others. This is where Levy needs to understand the footballing side of things instead of making all decisions based on an Excel sheet.

The team is calling out for some fresh faces and injection of some quality which obviously won't be possible now due to a few foolish decisions by Levy. Firstly, he put all his eggs under one basket by deciding to bet the future of the club on a grand new stadium which would look better on the balance sheet than money spent on players. Given the Covid-19 situation, that investment will now take longer to pay off and break even. Secondly, he refused to sell players when their stock was high due to some misguided notion that he would be strengthening rivals. He could have used that money to buy players.

To make matters worse, he hired Mourinho in the hope that he would be able to get the most out of his existing players, thereby hiding the gaps in recruitment. It was a gamble that hasn't paid off. In his desperation he got a manager who is clearly at odds with the modern game and whose MO is now very clear to everyone around. I can only see dark days ahead for Spurs. They may have blown up all the good work that happened under Pochetino to improve the profile of the club.
It's harsh, but those are the rules...

Zambara

Poch said we needed a 'painful rebuild' and he was right. This is the only reason I'm not turning against Jose right now and why I still feel he needs to be given time to try and sort it out.
He's not the bloke you want doing it though.

We've been down this road, and it is not a good road to go down. Some of the players Jose tried to bring in here, and some of the ones he tried to offload... Shudder.

Plus I don't think modern players want to be inculcated into a Mourinho-style team anymore. I know ours didn't. It's been a trend that's seen off unglamorous managers right down the league. These days Mourinho can't sell his vision with results, and the raw charisma has faded.

KennyBurner

Poor memory?
Less than 10% of the fans expected Ole to manage top 4 this season.
So Ole will - if so happens - do better than what 90% of fan base expected.
You advocate yourself that you expect he will manage top 3, and still you mean Ole is not doing above expectations? :houllier::houllier::houllier:
I just looked at the table right now and we are in 5th place as of this moment. I have always expected Ole to get top 3 as my comments dating back to last year summer are evident of that. Him getting top 2 would have been going above expectations in my book. I can only vouch for myself and not for the 90% of fans that you pulled out of thin air. Next time dont look the fool and assume you know what my expectations are if you havent even done the research.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Lloris
Azpi Sanchez Toby Alonso
Sissoko Kante LoCelso
Son Kane Pulisic
Kovacic has been one of their best player prior pandemic as far what I saw and I knew and you placed Lo Celso & Sissoko over him. I know Chelsea has been inconsistent but they haven’t been as terrible as spurs. Apart from Son, Kane & Lloris, none of their players will get into Chelsea XI.

kaiz

I just looked at the table right now and we are in 5th place as of this moment. I have always expected Ole to get top 3 as my comments dating back to last year summer are evident of that. Him getting top 2 would have been going above expectations in my book. I can only vouch for myself and not for the 90% of fans that you pulled out of thin air. Next time dont look the fool and assume you know what my expectations are if you havent even done the research.
OK, so you really were joking with this post. https://www.redcafe.net/threads/summer-2019-midfield-rebuild.447460/page-20#post-24507329

KennyBurner

You can’t read? Top 4 finish includes top 3. I’m not going to look for the post but if you check the thread back in the summer that wants us to predict we’re each team finishes I placed us 3rd. I’m very consistent in how good I value this team when everybody is fit. We would be 3rd right now if we had a fit Paul pogba for most of the season. It’s not an overachievement if we eventually get there at the end.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s amazing how he keeps making the exact same mistakes at every club, yet doesn’t question himself at all. The guy is an incredible narcissist.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

:lol: That would be the ultimate spitting on Wenger’s legacy. A decrepit Jose Mourinho managing his beloved Arsenal.

Oldyella

Bizzare thing is when he returned to us he made Oscar, Willian and Ramires untouchable because of their engines.
I think he would happily buy and rely on naturally fit players with engines, but not put the work into raising fitness of the rest of the squad. So weird.

R'hllor

The way how he manages to brainwash people and turn them into his acolytes, he would make a killin in politics.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Have they been linked to any new CBs in the press? Sanchez-Dier is obviously terrible combination as we saw on Thursday and seems Toby is out of favour now with him being constantly benched.

It's going to play out like when he wanted Harry Maguire isn't it? He'll probably want someone like Koulibaly for 70m, no way Levy will sanction that and then he'll spend first half of next season crying to the press about it every week.

They'll probably get a tier 2 CB like Diop from West Ham or Mings from us.

GJNJ

Have they been linked to any new CBs in the press? Sanchez-Dier is obviously terrible combination as we saw on Thursday and seems Toby is out of favour now with him being constantly benched.

It's going to play out like when he wanted Harry Maguire isn't it? He'll probably want someone like Koulibaly for 70m, no way Levy will sanction that and then he'll spend first half of next season crying to the press about it every week.

They'll probably get a tier 2 CB like Diop from West Ham or Mings from us.
If both teams stay up Diop and Mings will still be big money, that's part of the problem these days if you need to rebuild. Even teir 2 are going to cost you.

You can build slow and steady buying younger players, work with them and develop them or fast and throw money at it. Ideally for a big club somewhere in the middle and start the rebuild before it's required.

I don't think it in his wheel house to do the slow, or at least we have never seen it. I think their team is still pretty decent and should be doing better then they are currently so I can't see spurs fans or board excepting a slow rebuild so I can definitely see it playing out as you say, very publicly and uncomfortably as it was for United.