Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Yep, it's baffling how little emphasis Mourinho seems to place on fitness. It's like he doesn't think it's a big deal even when every other modern manager knows it's crucial.

We were routinely near the bottom for stats about distance covered under him, Ole mentioned how we weren't fit enough when he became manager and I think our terrible end of season last year was because the players were exhausted and unable to carry out the high press like Ole wanted. We look much fitter now, the work off the ball against Brighton was relentless.

From about the 60th minute on last night Spurs looked exhausted. It's a major major flaw with him now.
Joseball is all about conserving energy. Last he won the league with Chelsea they hardly rotated in the league at all

What he needs though are superstar attackers who can create themselves and exceptional passers in MF. He can then just sit back and play route 1. This does not work with Spurs and it did not work with us

Teja

Joseball is all about conserving energy. Last he won the league with Chelsea they hardly rotated in the league at all

What he needs though are superstar attackers who can create themselves and exceptional passers in MF. He can then just sit back and play route 1. This does not work with Spurs and it did not work with us
That's the thing though, Pool and Spurs have proven that you can maintain a consistent XI and have a reasonably high pressing game through out the season. City do a lot of work while pressing but also rotate quite heavily. Maybe the sports science folks can speak up if the discipline has evolved to such an extent that Mou's philosophy is antiquated now. Ran a cursory google search and this turned up

Science can now back up that claim. A new study shows that the amount of sprinting in the English Premier League has increased by 50 per cent in ten years.

The new research is based on the analysis of 473 Premier League players, and shows that the high intensity sprints come at a price: after just a couple of minutes of sprinting, the players will have a hard time keeping up with the game for upwards five minutes.
https://sciencenordic.com/denmark-f...sts-football-has-changed-dramatically/1440511

Eddy_JukeZ

I still can't fathom that 61% thought he'd win a trophy on Spurs.

He is completely finished. Imagine if Woodward did back him that final season. He would have gotten rid of Pogba and Martial for Willian and Savic. We would have been screwed.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I still can't fathom that 61% thought he'd win a trophy on Spurs.

He is completely finished. Imagine if Woodward did back him that final season. He would have gotten rid of Pogba and Martial for Willian and Savic. We would have been screwed.
Carabao Cup is a trophy though, it's possible for Mourinho to just play his key players on it and win it.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He really, really needs to hit the ground running next season to turn things 'round at Spuds...

There's something not right there though (as was clear while Pochettino was still there), so I'm not sure.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's a bit shit isn't he? I defended him to death even when I was wrong (racking my brains as I defended his Seville Presser against @Fracture90 ), but looking back I couldn't accept how far he's fallen.
Looking at him for Spurs now it's just clear he's fallen off a cliff. It's not like they have bad players: Lucas, Lamela, Bergwin, Son is a good support cast for Kane. He has a good midfield and a decent enough defense. It just looks so disjointed, yet again for him.
Glad you've come around. Were you really one of those who defended that Sevilla presser? I'm interested in knowing what exactly you said. 2 years on from that shambles, I still can't figure out how people could stomach Mourinho serving up the crap we played against Sevilla and having then adding insult to injury by going on that rant about football heritage nonsense.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Glad you've come around. Were you really one of those who defended that Sevilla presser? I'm interested in knowing what exactly you said. 2 years on from that shambles, I still can't figure out how people could stomach Mourinho serving up the crap we played against Sevilla and having then adding insult to injury by going on that rant about football heritage nonsense.
At the time I thought he was trying to protect players by knowingly saying stupid shit, so that headlines talk about what he said rather than how bad the players were. I thought that was by design so he can continue to work on them behind the scenes.

Bojan11

Just realised 5 years without a league title.

From 10/11 season to 19/20 he’s only won 2 league titles.

02/03 to 09/10 he won six league titles. And one of those years he was sacked in September. The other he lost to a very good United side.

He is becoming what he used to mock Wenger for. Mourinho was the guy who’d guarantee you a league title. He’s nowhere near that guy now.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Can't believe I was arguing with people on this board he needs sacking when he was our manager. He was never winning anything with Spurs. The biggest trophy they'll get is when he gets sacked.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
There's a saying that goes 'the most foolish man in the room is the one that talks the most'. Words usually catch up and bite you in your butt. Jose is, today, exactly what he called Wenger yesterday.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I doubt any truth...just interesting that tweets like this already making the rounds...

Well it is Indykaila who the majority of charlatans would be insulted to be associated with. Of course while it doesn't take a genius to predict that Jose could be gone before the start of next season I don't see any chance of a Pochettino return.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
At the time I thought he was trying to protect players by knowingly saying stupid shit, so that headlines talk about what he said rather than how bad the players were. I thought that was by design so he can continue to work on them behind the scenes.
But he was insulting the club. How would that be an acceptable deflection tactic to protect players?

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Would love another Mourinho meltdown today.

Still dont know how Aurier and Rudiger gets so much game time. Its just really bad coaching in my opinion.

Levy is too stingy to sack Mourinho even of they fail to get a top 8 place this season. He’s on £15 mill/year and just signed a 3(?) year contract. No way Levy forking out ~£45mill to sack him plus the cost to sign a new one.

Last edited:

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
If Mourinho looses today: game over.
He will be there to the end of season, both Arsenal and Spurs have looked poor recently, Spurs moreso however. Jose will be fine provided he doesnt ship a 4-1 loss or something. Reckon Arsenal might nick it, 2-1, Spurs have been absolutely woeful recently.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

You cannot tell they not got the players. That’s a really decent team to my eyes. Yes, it’s not as good as it was but they should still be in the top 6.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets

You cannot tell they not got the players. That’s a really decent team to my eyes. Yes, it’s not as good as it was but they should still be in the top 6.
It is an ok team, but nothing more.

Winks, good squad player sure, his development has kind of stalled though. Aurier should be no where near a top 6 team. Lo Celso one for the future. Moura, Son, Kane, Sissoko, sure, top six material, no arguments there. Alderweireld getting on but still serviceable, Sanchez average. Davies is solid, if a little uninspiring going forward.

Skills

Snitch
Can't believe I was arguing with people on this board he needs sacking when he was our manager. He was never winning anything with Spurs. The biggest trophy they'll get is when he gets sacked.
The self righteous cult of Mourinho was the worst thing that happened to this place. Even worse than the cult of Moyes

Tiber

I can't tell if this is a parody, or if someone has hacked into Jose's actual game plan :confused:

meamth

That's the thing though, Pool and Spurs have proven that you can maintain a consistent XI and have a reasonably high pressing game through out the season. City do a lot of work while pressing but also rotate quite heavily. Maybe the sports science folks can speak up if the discipline has evolved to such an extent that Mou's philosophy is antiquated now. Ran a cursory google search and this turned up

https://sciencenordic.com/denmark-f...sts-football-has-changed-dramatically/1440511
I quoted that article many times in this forum...and that is back in 2016!

Wonder what is the numbers now.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I don’t think him switching his defense every game isn’t helping either. I know Dier was banned but when he wasn’t he was still switching up.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
You’ve always got a chance with Arsenal, no matter how dog shit you are.

Based Adnan

I'm convinced current Jose could be playing prime Stoke with Rory Delap and co and he'd make them look like a really good ball playing side

Classical Mechanic

Heard José said it will take 4 years until Spurs can win a trophy!

Their zero shots on target against Bournemouth was the first time in 5 years Bournemouth's opposition had failed to hit the target against them!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Arsenal had 80+ % possession in 20 mins in second half, this is just very poor from Spurs.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He is so negative, it’s ridiculous. They will probably leak a late goal in this match too, and deservedly so.

I stood by him at United and in hindsight I just shouldn’t have.