Jose Mourinho v Ryan Giggs... who do you want? [POLL]

Who would you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedChip

Giggs will be in charge by then.
Awful idea Chippy.
You know what the Giggs fanatics are like, they will say something along the lines of 'he needs time to show what he can do.'

But, yeah, a month is actually too long. Lets say, just close it after a 1000 votes. That ought to be a large enough sample.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I was previously a Giggs advocate and wrote at length why (at the time) I felt he would be a good appointment for us.

Suffice to say times have changed, and the situation now is very different to the start of the season. Discussed it at length in this thread a long while ago; https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-argument-for-giggs-as-our-next-manager.407957/

The short version is that in a scenario where LVG succeeded, Giggs should (in my book) have taken over. When I say 'succeeded' what I mean is for LVG to have built a strong team and foundation and got us challenging for the league and in Europe (it seems so far away now..), and ideally win a couple of trophies too in order to alleviate the initial pressure on Giggs for instant success. In that context I could see Giggs coming in and building on the foundation left to him by LVG.

Unfortunately LVG has failed. We are still in largely the same situation as when Ferguson retired in that we need someone to come in and steady the ship ASAP, just with 3 trophyless years of dismal disappointment behind us now. There is more pressure than ever for the next manager to deliver instant success, overhaul the squad, get us playing good football and building for the long term. The job is simply too big for Giggs now - too much too soon, and with Guardiola across the city next season we have to fight fire with fire - Mourinho is the only choice.

RedChip

Newsflash "Foreign supporters on Redcafe wants Mourinho to be next United manager"
So foreigners outnumber locals on RedCafe by something like 18:1? Or this just your typical xenophobic view of 'british is good, foreign is bad'?

Look I am all for nurturing local talent and all that but also think we should always choose the best for top jobs, regardless of Nationality. If not everything British will go the way of the once mighty British motor industry.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Giggs knows the club inside out and comes with Fergie's blessing. Can't stand Mourinho.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Giggs knows the club inside out. Can't stand Mourinho.
After our lengthy discussion on my Giggs thread from months ago, it seems sort of ironic to see you say that when I have just posted about how I have changed tack as well, and think that Mourinho is by far the best option now.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
After our lengthy discussion on my Giggs thread from months ago, it seems sort of ironic to see you say that when I have just posted about how I have changed tack as well, and think that Mourinho is by far the best option now.
Wait wut? I was just doing my Twigginater impression. :(

For a more honest opinion: link and link2.

RustyS

Easiest choice ever.

It is like your airline asking you before you board if you would like the captain to fly the plane today or this nice flight attendant who has been serving on the plane for a really long time. But don't worry, the flight attendant has observed the captain many times and might be able to fly the plane. Also, the captain just moved from another airline whereas the flight attendant has been with the airline for a looooong time and knows the company inside out.

spwd

Easiest choice ever.

It is like your airline asking you before you board if you would like the captain to fly the plane today or this nice flight attendant who has been serving on the plane for a really long time. But don't worry, the flight attendant has observed the captain many times and might be able to fly the plane. Also, the captain just moved from another airline whereas the flight attendant has been with the airline for a looooong time and knows the company inside out.
Very good :lol:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Easiest choice ever.

Good analogy

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Easiest choice ever.

I don't mind seeing giggs working as flight attendant

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I like Giggs, but you can't expect someone who's learned from Moyes and LvG to be any good.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Except that in this case the flight attendant has recently acquired her pilot's licence.
In a country were all pilots qualifying there are crushing their planes

RedChip

Yeah, what a turnaround. Could have sworn you and @Invictus each wrote thesis-worthy of arguments for one and against the other.

Edit: ok, I should have read follow ups too.

Rory 7

I was previously a Giggs advocate and wrote at length why (at the time) I felt he would be a good appointment for us.

Suffice to say times have changed, and the situation now is very different to the start of the season. Discussed it at length in this thread a long while ago; https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-argument-for-giggs-as-our-next-manager.407957/

The short version is that in a scenario where LVG succeeded, Giggs should (in my book) have taken over. When I say 'succeeded' what I mean is for LVG to have built a strong team and foundation and got us challenging for the league and in Europe (it seems so far away now..), and ideally win a couple of trophies too in order to alleviate the initial pressure on Giggs for instant success. In that context I could see Giggs coming in and building on the foundation left to him by LVG.

Unfortunately LVG has failed. We are still in largely the same situation as when Ferguson retired in that we need someone to come in and steady the ship ASAP, just with 3 trophyless years of dismal disappointment behind us now. There is more pressure than ever for the next manager to deliver instant success, overhaul the squad, get us playing good football and building for the long term. The job is simply too big for Giggs now - too much too soon, and with Guardiola across the city next season we have to fight fire with fire - Mourinho is the only choice.
Sums up my take on things too.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

Good man. Such an underrated poster on here.

DrunkenBeaver

I find the whole 'waiting to be offered the job' thing a bit unedifying to be honest. If Giggs wanted to be a manager he'd be one by now. Probably could have got himself a decent Championship side to manage or even a team in the bottom part of the PL given his name value. It shows to me that he doesn't really have much fire in his belly for the profession of being a manager and instead just wants to work somewhere he's familiar with.

In some ways I find it a bit disrespectful to the job that someone's prepared to do no more to earn it than sit and wait for it to be given to them.

Dr. J

I get the feeling that this is just the papers trying to create headlines. One day after the Moratti quote, all of a sudden Giggs is back in the picture.

Mourinho all the way.

Member 5225

:lol: nearly 95% for Jose, wow!
(I mean it positively, I thought he was like marmite for United fans, apparently not!)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
:lol: nearly 95% for Jose, wow!
(I mean it positively, I thought he was like marmite for United fans, apparently not!)
The last 3 years has tamed us... plus Pep being at City probably a huge factor also.

DrunkenBeaver

I get the feeling that this is just the papers trying to create headlines. One day after the Moratti quote, all of a sudden Giggs is back in the picture.

Mourinho all the way.

It's what papers do to create a narrative. Whenever we're linked with player X the next day they'll be running stories about how City are interested in player X too. It's just what they do.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I find the whole 'waiting to be offered the job' thing a bit unedifying to be honest. If Giggs wanted to be a manager he'd be one by now. Probably could have got himself a decent Championship side to manage or even a team in the bottom part of the PL given his name value. It shows to me that he doesn't really have much fire in his belly for the profession of being a manager and instead just wants to work somewhere he's familiar with.

In some ways I find it a bit disrespectful to the job that someone's prepared to do no more to earn it than sit and wait for it to be given to them.
It will be interesting to see what he does if he doesn't get the job and the next manager won't have him on his staff. Will he try his hand somewhere else or will be do the usual cop out, going into punditry.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.

On a serious note, I feel the same way. There's something about that kind of attitude that doesn't make me feel good towards him. To be Man Utd manager you have to be brave as well. None of this flitting around - even though Gary is not doing well - he at least has gone out there and put his reputation on the line. I still think Gary should have started lower on the ladder - but he at least is trying to do something outside of his comfort zone and has taken on a huge challenge. Giggs doesn't even want to test himself. What's he gonna do if he gets the job and fails miserably? Then what? I just don't understand this attitude, maybe it's a new culture thing and I'm too old.

Speedicut75

Fair play. I remember some of your lengthy submissions in fervent support of Giggs; so for you to re-access the situation in the way you have, and to have made adjustments in your opinion given the changing nature of the landscape in which he would be asked to take over, speaks well for your objectivity. I certainly agree with most of your points and do feel that the issue of Guardiola should focus the the intent of the board and deliver a manager who will have the requisite experience & expertise needed to compete at this level. I hope that those making the decisions are not so stymied by tradition that they do offer Giggs the position at this juncture, but I have a feeling that without consensus we may indeed end up with Ryan at the helm, at time when he's wholly unprepared for the appointment.

Gatti33

Can't believe some people out there will be happy if Giggs got the job on the sole reason that he's been at the club for a long time. Well Albert the kit man was at United for donkeys years, maybe he should be added to the poll?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It will be interesting to see what he does if he doesn't get the job and the next manager won't have him on his staff. Will he try his hand somewhere else or will be do the usual cop out, going into punditry.
I bet you 5p he doesn't do anything. He'll eventually rock up as one of our ambassadors (which would be good) - but if he never gets the United job - he won't bother going further in management. I've said it before, but the impression is that he wants to be United manager - not that he has any interest in management per se.

Status
Not open for further replies.