Jose Mourinho - Was He Right?

ErranMorad

No, he was a fecking moron. Half the squad was bought by him for massive amounts. We made two record breaking signings under him and paid another player insane wages to add to his squad. Still all he did was kept bitching and moaning. Klopp has Liverpool on the verge of a PL and CL title with lesser net spend than Jose's, but this assclown tried to sabotage our season because he wasn't up for it.

We would have been better off letting him go after his disrespectful comments against Sevilla. I hope he fails in whatever mid-table job he gets next.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We would have never gotten past PSG if He was right.

He thought We weren't even a top 4 material... and the reason why We aren't in top 4 was him in the first place. If We started the season with Ole, I'm certain We'll be in a much better position in the league by now.

Last edited:

ants7

The only way Jose would have been a success in this club is he would have been hired straight after SAF retired. I'm not sure he's the right man in a club which needs a rebuild and his tactics were miserable. Bringing in to our club at that moment of time was like trying to fit a round thing in to a square hole.

The Nani

The man said anything and everything he possibly could to shift blame and lower expectations in an attempt to distract from the shite job he was doing.

But even when he was supposedly right he was totally out of order in spouting off to the media about it.

It was a clear indication he was more interested in self preservation than the success of Manchester United.

He bought and/or persisted with many of the players which he moaned about which says it all.

We have him to thank for Ashley Young at right back and Dalot’s lack of progression. Amongst umpteen other bizarre and damaging decisions.

I can’t for the life of me fathom why anyone still defends him or why this thread exists.

sugar_kane

The man said anything and everything he possibly could to shift blame and lower expectations in an attempt to distract from the shite job he was doing.

But even when he was supposedly right he was totally out of order in spouting off to the media about it.

It was a clear indication he was more interested in self preservation than the success of Manchester United.

He bought and/or persisted with many of the players which he moaned about which says it all.

We have him to thank for Ashley Young at right back and Dalot’s lack of progression. Amongst umpteen other bizarre and damaging decisions.

I can’t for the life of me fathom why anyone still defends him or why this thread exists.
If you read my original post you’d see most of what I said is echoed in your post.

If your point is that everyone knew this already then I disagree, I’ve not seen a clear acknowledgement from our own fans that he was right about some things even if he handled things in a catastrophic way.

It also felt timely because in the immediate aftermath a lot of people (myself included) thought he was wrong about Pogba and the strength of our squad in general and that in fact he had turned them shit through bad tactics and bad management.

The truth is probably somewhere in between.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No, he was a fecking moron. Half the squad was bought by him for massive amounts. We made two record breaking signings under him and paid another player insane wages to add to his squad. Still all he did was kept bitching and moaning. Klopp has Liverpool on the verge of a PL and CL title with lesser net spend than Jose's, but this assclown tried to sabotage our season because he wasn't up for it.

We would have been better off letting him go after his disrespectful comments against Sevilla. I hope he fails in whatever mid-table job he gets next.
Exactly, he should have been sacked before he left Sevilla PC. That was pathetic, disrespectful. Talked about fecking eritage and then Ole went and beat PSG with half the team missing.

Smores

Right about many things but you won't get some to admit that, too emotional still.

Irrespective of who was to blame he was definitely right that this squad wasn't good enough going into this season. Board should have sacked him in the summer if they didn't believe him then.

The Nani

If you read my original post you’d see most of what I said is echoed in your post.

If your point is that everyone knew this already then I disagree, I’ve not seen a clear acknowledgement from our own fans that he was right about some things even if he handled things in a catastrophic way.

It also felt timely because in the immediate aftermath a lot of people (myself included) thought he was wrong about Pogba and the strength of our squad in general and that in fact he had turned them shit through bad tactics and bad management.

The truth is probably somewhere in between.
He was absolutely wrong about Pogba. In fact, as I’ve said before, aiding in getting that negative, toxic cnut sacked was a great act of service to the club.

I doubt the average fan would struggle to get the few things Mourinho “got right” during his tenure.

But my point is that when he got it right (supposedly), he was always still so wrong.

Yeah, we needed options upfront. But Lukaku, Perisic and Willian? Feck off.

I mean, we’re talking about a tenured manager who’s being paid millions. And his input is Shaw is fat and Jones is a crock.

Yet we’re asking if he was right?

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
What everyone fails to understand when they compare Jose and Ole is the context of the results. I seriously doubt that Ole is a better tactician and knows how to better use the players; in other words, I'm sure that Jose could have done the same thing and achieved a short-term "success" of winning 10 games in a row. And then what?

Jose knew that in order to achieve real success, the players had to improve; to be more precise, improve their weaknesses, do the things that on the short run may be uncomfortable, but would pay off on the long run. Obviously, it didn't work and both him and the players were frustrated and in the end couldn't wait to part ways.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I agree with most here. He was right with most of his criticism but he also had no clue how to fix it. Bad signings for big money.
I disagree with his statement that the price for Pogba will be considered cheap in the long run. So far he has not convinced me that he is one of the best.

The main problem is that we were not able to install a fitting long term successor to SAF.
We should have gone for someone with a vision and an idea how to transform the team in the long run.
Klopp, Tuchel, Pochettino or someone similar.
Instead we keep stumbling from one half-assed solution to the next.

Enigma_87

You know who
Of course he was right, he's a top manager.

Problem is he couldn't fix it and despite the lack of quality he still underachieved to the point he warranted his sacking.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
:lol: So many posters agreeing with his assessments elsewhere but can’t actually admit he had been right about plenty of things.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Football was shite. He made issues worse instead of actively trying to solve them

But, he was certainly right. 100%.
What is making matters worse here is that he alarmingly looks to have been right about Shaw, Valencia, Pogba and Martial...

He was most certainly 100% wrong about Daley Blind.

He highlighted the politics behind the scenes which is something he was never going to keep quiet about

Sereques

The state of this thread. Do you all think mourinho was paid millions of pounds to tell us about problems?

Kag

Of course he was right

Edit: Just going to post this daily in the hope it sinks in

OUR MANAGERS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM
Our managers and the coaching (or lack of) have been the biggest problem.

We can bleat on about Woodward and the board, but when Brighton are more of a cohesive football team than us with a fraction of the talent and budget then this mentality has zero basis in reality. And that was the case under Mourinho.

A succession of managers that actively dislike playing aggressive, attacking football. That’s on them.

Jeffthered

No. He was wrong, because of how he chose to approach and respond to things.

He made his negative feelings towards his players public and that was not only unforgivable, it disrespected the club. It also made our players, play worst.

To suggest the club lack quality, then buy Lukaku, and Fred, and Mkhitaryan and Lideholf and not get anything close to the best out of them, is just baffling.

Everyone knew the squad lacks world-class talent, so he said v little that was not known.

RD94

He was right about our squad being really bad but also wrong because he bought some players and never used them or never were the players we taught they should be.
It is not only managers fault if we play bad and uncosistently because there were three managers who never got the best of the squad and now fourth manager came and things go almost the same way.

Our squad is really mediocre with some players like Pogba,Martial who had all the talent but not workrate and desire to become better especially Martial.

Most of the players we bought were really mediocre players even when we bought them or others who became mediocre(Sanchez, Mata).

Through years we made bad investments with no plan of how we should be playing.
We bought players who suit one system of play and then another player who suits totally opposite system.

We need to sell or release and replace half of the squad through next few years and rebuild with young players,but it will take a few years certainly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viral United

He said things to save his ass.
So he was totally wrong. This is his mess not anything else.

john moran

He was absolutely wrong about Pogba. In fact, as I’ve said before, aiding in getting that negative, toxic cnut sacked was a great act of service to the club.

I doubt the average fan would struggle to get the few things Mourinho “got right” during his tenure.

But my point is that when he got it right (supposedly), he was always still so wrong.

Yeah, we needed options upfront. But Lukaku, Perisic and Willian? Feck off.

I mean, we’re talking about a tenured manager who’s being paid millions. And his input is Shaw is fat and Jones is a crock.

Yet we’re asking if he was right?
Very little evidence that he "was absolutely wrong about Pogba." Jones is a crock and Shaw is seriously seriously overrated here and elsewhere if not fat .
Mourinho was Mourinho , a troubled individual , best forgotten , and quickly

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It was obvious to me he was right at the time about how poor this squad is. He just went about it in completely the wrong way.

ti vu

He said things to save his ass.
So he was totally wrong. This is his mess not anything else.
What about the season under Moyes and LVG?

Even under SAF zombie passing was there. The root cause of our problem is deeper than a manager/football coach level.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
What about the season under Moyes and LVG?

Even under SAF zombie passing was there. The root cause of our problem is deeper than a manager/football coach level.
The board have absolutely no influence on the team's style of play.

ti vu

I am still curious whether anyone figure out:Who is in our board?

If we have a proper board that understand football, there would be no swing between style which means no LVG and Mourinho for instance. So called rebuild would be carried out with an unwavering plan.

How did it happen that SAF trying to push Rooney out of the door just for him to be made club captain and luxurious lengthy contract? Fast forward future, a new interim manager made official manager and Martial got like triple of his wage?

The board doesn't manage the team but their ambition can reflect on the team. Anyone follow football can find examples for themselves.

The Nani

Very little evidence that he "was absolutely wrong about Pogba." Jones is a crock and Shaw is seriously seriously overrated here and elsewhere if not fat .
Mourinho was Mourinho , a troubled individual , best forgotten , and quickly
Agree to disagree, but your last is line absolutely spot on. Like Michael Owen I’d rather just forget he was ever associated with us.

EDIT: agree to disagree re Pogba and Jose’s nonsense being anywhere near right

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That this squad isn't good enough.
The same squad that he spent north of £400 million building?

Let's be honest here, we wouldn't be in this position right now had he not squandered 2.5 years worth of the clubs transfer budget on players who simply weren't good enough.

FujiVice

Was Mourinho right? Of course he was. The squad wasnt good enough.

But then again, he was the one who brought in Lindelof, Fred, Pogba, Lukaku and stuck with Young and Lingard through even when they were attrocious.

Mourinho was on the grassy knoll, he just wasnt the loan gunman.

Reddy Rederson

But the they do have influence over how much power a manger has over a bunch of spoiled man babies. Doesn’t matter who the manager is, when Pogba is selling shirts, sponsorship deals etc etc he can do what he likes and there’s not a thing in the world the manager can do about it.

We’ve reverted back to what we were playing like before Jose got sacked. I can’t imagine ole is telling them to play that way. We also heard Jose say he didn’t tell them to play that way.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Jose’s biggest achievement to date according to the man himself is that he finished 2nd in the league with this squad. He was right with what he ‘openly’ stated but that too was the reason for his demise at United.

Decomposing In Paris

After winning the Europa League we finished second last year, ahead of two of this year's Champions League semi-finalists. I still think he deserves more credit than he'll ever get for that. The board should have sacked him or backed him big time in the summer, even if they didn't sign the players he wanted, they should still have been looking to sign quality young players. Why couldn't we have gone for De Ligt for huge money? ...there was never any danger that he wouldn't be worth it in time. Jose was stubborn, but he's not an idiot. Solskjaer has gotten amazing things out of this squad since he's come in... but he's been a victim of his own success too. Getting to the Champions League quarter-finals instead of PSG, and drawing Barcelona was unlikely to end any other way... going so far in the cup, beating some of the best teams in the country counts for little now, and took a toll on fitness. This squad needs a massive injection of quality because we seem content with standing still when we struggle to second.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I am still curious whether anyone figure out:Who is in our board?

If we have a proper board that understand football, there would be no swing between style which means no LVG and Mourinho for instance. So called rebuild would be carried out with an unwavering plan.

How did it happen that SAF trying to push Rooney out of the door just for him to be made club captain and luxurious lengthy contract? Fast forward future, a new interim manager made official manager and Martial got like triple of his wage?

The board doesn't manage the team but their ambition can reflect on the team. Anyone follow football can find examples for themselves.
Sorry but I don't know of any football club on the planet whose board of directors influence the team's style of play. Sure, certain clubs are associated with a certain brand of football but the manager has the final say by and large. Feel free to correct me if you know otherwise.

We all knew the brand of football we were getting when we recruited LVG and Jose, yet we choose to ignore it in favour of the success it might bring. The board takes full responsibility for those failed appointments but let's not pretend that they weren't sufficiently backed in the transfer market because they clearly were.

The club has spent in the region of £750 million on incoming transfers since Fergie retired and not a single player brought during that period could you call a categorical success. That is down to the manager(s) who identified and purchased the wrong players.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The same squad that he spent north of £400 million building?

Let's be honest here, we wouldn't be in this position right now had he not squandered 2.5 years worth of the clubs transfer budget on players who simply weren't good enough.
Been through this before but £400m is nothing trying to catch City. He had to replace Ibrahimovic (gone for nothing) with £90m Lukaku. Hardly anyone questioned that at the time, those that did wanted Morata instead or someone like Belotti. Another £100m went on Pogba, again hardly anyone thought it was a bad idea. The other £200m is Everton/Leicester level money, to try to upgrade the mess that LVG had left.

ti vu

Sorry but I don't know of any football club on the planet whose board of directors influence the team's style of play. Sure, certain clubs are associated with a certain brand of football but the manager has the final say by and large. Feel free to correct me if you know otherwise.

We all knew the brand of football we were getting when we recruited LVG and Jose, yet we choose to ignore it in favour of the success it might bring. The board takes full responsibility for those failed appointments but let's not pretend that they weren't sufficiently backed in the transfer market because they clearly were.

The club has spent in the region of £750 million on incoming transfers since Fergie retired and not a single player brought during that period could you call a categorical success. That is down to the manager(s) who identified and purchased the wrong players.
Really?

Majority of clubs have head coaches, not managers. The boards assesses to choose the candidate that they think can bring approach that fit the profile. Just look at Ajax for instance, beside just the brand of football, they can change head coaches and continue the core principle of the brand. De Boer version can be pragmatic (liken to LVG) and hard to stomach it's still based on the same core principle of total football. The (different) board means to keep to the core value of the brand via the change in head coach means different outlook to the football. There is such drastically change in core value leading to wholesale change and forever rebuild every time there is changes in head coach position.

Look at us, Moyes to LVG. Firesale. Price hiking when purchase. LVG to Mourinho. Same. Distinct brands of football. Players from the point of being coachable till they're supposed a seasoned pro, yet the team have no identity.

However, there is a common theme during all these changes: paying big for players especially those with names. Some transfer makes no sense: Mata for Moyes. Di Maria Falcao for LVG. Alexis for Mourinho came out of no where. Some players just randomly renewed their contract which lead to them being hard to moved on, and stick around: Rooney, Nani, Jones, Rojo... And that's Mourinho contract extension. The managers then all agreed that they felt hard done by some behind the scenes promise, questioning ambition/direction of the club.

One or two you can say it's a learning curve. Three, with Martial new contract, then it's a pattern.

And no, if the managers are solely responsible for purchasing wrong players, then the change in structure is needed, not just sack the managers, and rinse repeat. The talk of DOF has been here for years whenever this clubs is about to change managers, but disappears after a while like nothing happen. Yet the common denominator of all this failure was not questioned.

Last edited:

Lentwood

Our managers and the coaching (or lack of) have been the biggest problem.

We can bleat on about Woodward and the board, but when Brighton are more of a cohesive football team than us with a fraction of the talent and budget then this mentality has zero basis in reality. And that was the case under Mourinho.

A succession of managers that actively dislike playing aggressive, attacking football. That’s on them.
I could write 'War & Peace' about why you're wrong but I really can't be bothered. It's all been said and done on here a million times.

There will also be a large percentage of posters who think you can just swap the name of the bloke sat in the dugout and suddenly everything will be OK but that's so far removed from the truth about modern football it's nearly an impossible position for me to bother to argue against.

It's kind of like if you said to me 'the Earth is flat'....nothing I could say would change your mind based on all of the evidence that is out there already not having done so.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Been through this before but £400m is nothing trying to catch City. He had to replace Ibrahimovic (gone for nothing) with £90m Lukaku. Hardly anyone questioned that at the time, those that did wanted Morata instead or someone like Belotti. Another £100m went on Pogba, again hardly anyone thought it was a bad idea. The other £200m is Everton/Leicester level money, to try to upgrade the mess that LVG had left.
United are second only to City in the transfer expenditure department since Fergie retired. Outspending our top four rivals such as Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal by a considerable distance. The likes of Everton/Leicester are barely comparable.

Yes, we spent the money poorly.

But we did spend the money.