Jose Mourinho's press conference - Burnley(A) | 13:30 BST | Quotes updated in OP

Okey

All this media talk is doing my head in. United actually get to play football matches. Win shed loads of them and entertain us while you're at it, and who'll care of they organise clown shows for the media. They're a sideshow at best..

Raoul

Admin
Staff
All this media talk is doing my head in. United actually get to play football matches. Win shed loads of them and entertain us while you're at it, and who'll care of they organise clown shows for the media. They're a sideshow at best..
Agreed. Far too much talk and not enough action.

Green_Red

Do any of you lot actually read the press conferences or watch them? I’ve just read it on the site and you’re all idiots following headlines suiting your agendas. What a shock. Place is full of absolute cnuts these days
I'd agree but that might get me a warning... :nervous:

TheReligion

Abusive
His obsession with everyone knowing his past achievements and how great he is comes across as desperate and insecure. Yeah we know you've won league titles and Champions Leagues ffs, now get this team playing some proper football.
Did you even watch the conference?

He was asked if he was still a great manger and answered the question. Not sure what else the guy could do.

Fujiland

It really is insulting to ask Mourinho if he's still one of the greatest managers in the world if he doesn't win the league with United.

Imagine asking Fergie that crap in 2006 on the back of no PL title in 3 years. I'm pretty sure his response would be filled with disgust just as Jose's was.
While people won't ask because Fergie earned all the respect, rather than someone so selfish and demands respect.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
Just watched the debate and they are saying Kloop nd Poch are better managers. Both managers would have wished and i mean would give everything to have won half of what jose has won. So playing attacking football makes a manager better now, i thought great managers are chosen based on how many titles and trophies they have won.

Jose 3 PL titles
Kloop and Poch 0
Pep 1

Abosolute Bullshit how the media is treating Jose and united fans are blaming jose for the reporter being an asshole.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His obsession with everyone knowing his past achievements and how great he is comes across as desperate and insecure. Yeah we know you've won league titles and Champions Leagues ffs, now get this team playing some proper football.
Indeed. And he brings so much of it upon himself. If he didn't keep harping on about how much he's hanging on to past glories the media wouldn't provoke him on the topic. It's because he's so interested in protecting and bigging up his image really. Same with the negative atmosphere. He creates it through bickering about his team and higher ups which leads to more speculation from the media. That he's the innocent victim couldn't be further from the truth.

Your last line is most important. Get us playing proper football. The fans don't give a shit about your standing in the game. Your standing with Manchester United has to be proven.

tombombadil

Just watched the debate and they are saying Kloop nd Poch are better managers. Both managers would have wished and i mean would give everything to have won half of what jose has won. So playing attacking football makes a manager better now, i thought great managers are chosen based on how many titles and trophies they have won.

Jose 3 PL titles
Kloop and Poch 0
Pep 1

Abosolute Bullshit how the media is treating Jose and united fans are blaming jose for the reporter being an asshole.
Exactly. If you listened to the media, you'd have thought Man utd nearly got relegated while Spurs won the league.

Miscemayl

All about him yet again.

When someone keeps going on about former glories and lives in the past, you know he's starting to doubt himself too.
Maybe it's deliberate to deflect focus from the players?

I assume you accidentally missed the part when he praised Shaw?

Lots of our fans are basically idiots who lap up what the media writes. Jose can never win with them.
Agree, I don't even see anything controversial but of course, plenty are having a melt down saying how unlikable he is..

Whats Jones and Smalling still being at the club got to do with Jose? We know he wanted better CBs.
Agreed too. Jose bought 2 to 3 for the starting XI each window. Apparently some want him to bring in 5 to 6 a window. That don't even work in FM! And plenty seem to have bought the hype about the "richest" club in the world and think we have an unlimited budget...

FromTheBench

I think he is trying too hard to prove his greatness.

Playing that hipster formation vs Spurs with Herrera at centre back was part of it.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Klopp, Pochettino, etc don't go around claiming they're the best manager in the world or special while offering absolutely dreadful football with very limited results to say the least. ......
Limited results? In the 2 years Jose has been here he has won more than them combined with their 'exciting football' and has finished above them too both in the league and domestic cup. Only being bettered by Pep's Man City and Conte's Chelsea because they won the league. So how does that theory work exactly?

You'd have to be insanely biased with agendas to even dare to insinuate JM is merely 'claiming' he IS amongst the greatest managers in the game currently

fallengt

Man, everything is about him. That's why he can't take defeat well.
Seriously who cares... I just want to see United play smooth football and winning.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
And your happy with the dis-jointed squad, playing style and bore tactics?
No. But if Jose can find a way to bring in the defenders who he is happy with, I think our all round play will improve.
Against Spurs, he set the team to attack (none of the ultra defensive BS was on display, which fans hate).
The result was there for everybody to see. Our defenders do not possess the skill to defend against attacks, unless the midfield protect them.
We also witnessed Spurs being martialled by Jose's top priority (Toby A). There simply wasn't a comparison. Toby was several levels above anything we have in defence and Woodward also witnessed this.
It also made me realise that we have to play defensive because our defenders do not possess the skills necessary to allow our midfield to focus on attack, against a top side.

Once we have 2 experienced defenders who play regularly, I think our midfield can focus on attacks and our play will improve.

Your happy to STILL be playing Jones/Smalling CB cos Jose has won the P/L previously?
Nope. But if Jose wants to replace these 2, he'll need to spend big.
We saw this Summer that Woodward is not willing to spend big on defenders, because he thinks our defenders are great.

Up your expectations. Jose will never win the league for us. Never
My expectations are high.
Last season we got 2nd and I genuinely believed that the club would back Jose and Jose was going to go all-out for the title this season.
The board pulled the plug and refused to fund Jose. Basically, they accepted that top 4 is fine.
Any other manager who comes in will have the same issues. The difference is that the Jose is a top class manager. Poch has never won a trophy and ZZ (while being top class), has not managed an average-good squad in his life. He has managed a team of Galacticos, but never a squad of our abilities.
If I were hiring a manager, for Jose, ZZ and Poch, today, based purely on their CVs, I'd hire Jose.
If Poch could win a trophy, he might get the nod ahead of Jose, but at this stage, he has won nothing.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Hegelian football. The logical follow-up to LVG's reign of bollocks, finally.
We DO NOT want to go down the LVG route of footballing philosophy.
It dumbfounds me to think that LVG thought that his brand of football was attacking. And he genuinely believed this.

POF

I was really disappointed with that press conference. Once again, he made it all about him. A personal battle vs the media. His "one of the greatest managers in the world" comment was in response to a question on how he enjoys managing the club. The response and line of responses that followed were completely pre prepared.

I have no issues with an "us against them" siege mentality (in fact, I would encourage it) but it's never us against them with Jose. It's Jose vs anyone who doesn't tell him he's the best manager ever.

If he wants to justify his stature as one of the greatest managers and keep United fans on his side, forget the "I won trophies in Spain, Italy, England" nonsense. Talk about what you've done at United, the squad you're building, the improvements in the squad, etc. Harping back to previous jobs just makes him seem an insecure ego maniac who is losing the plot and has lost control of his squad since January.

The decline in general quality of football since January is the biggest red flag and even performances he cites as impressive (Leicester and Spurs) are only impressive if being judged against a very low bar.

There is one very easy way to shut the media up (go on a winning run) and the fact he is putting so much energy into shutting them up another way suggests that he isn't confident he can do it.

ZAGREB RED

His trotting out of his record and telling everyone how great he is smacks of a man who is rapidly becoming yesterday's news and he increasingly looks like a footballing King Canute. Sad really.

SteveCoppellFan

Unless he starts to turn things around on the pitch very soon then this is going to escalate very quickly.

Could be a complete train wreck in a couple of months.

Member 90887

People criticizing him for talking about him. well, the Media are attacking him, what do you want him to do ? the stupid questions are all personal, they're not attacking the club or any player, they are attacking him.

It's common sense really. the only answer that was over the top is when he was asked What it means to be the boss and answered “I am the manager of one of the greatest clubs in the world, but I'm also one of the greatest managers in the world.”

For all the other instances, he answered what he should have. not saying anything to the media obviously did not work, let's see what his defiance can do.

Why can't we be like other clubs ? even the dippers get around their manager against any external attack and support them. and here we have people siding with the media just because of some agenda they have against the man. like it or not, he is our manager right now and he represents Manchester united. being against him and siding with the media is being against the club. you can dislike him, you can criticize him, but don't overdo it every opportunity you get, even when it's not in the interest of the club.

We have people fecking boycotting the club because of the manager, talk about a lack of loyalty... supporting your club is not what it used to be, at least not for us.

I don't know if people realize that the toxicity around the club is created by them. don't you think that the media looks to write on topic that sells ? and in order to do that, they see what's happening online ...

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Limited results? In the 2 years Jose has been here he has won more than them combined with their 'exciting football' and has finished above them too both in the league and domestic cup. Only being bettered by Pep's Man City and Conte's Chelsea because they won the league. So how does that theory work exactly?

You'd have to be insanely biased with agendas to even dare to insinuate JM is merely 'claiming' he IS amongst the greatest managers in the game currently
Well, first of all, I'm not contradicting he has been (key word) one of the best managers, he hasn't shown to be the best in quite some time, Pep has outclassed him and he's not in front of the press claiming to be the best. He can claim reaching second is his greatest achievement all he wants, do you see an actual team developing in the three years he's been in charge? Because every time I think there might be something, they take steps back. My only point is that he is getting this treatment from the press because all he can talk about whenever he's in difficulty is his past glory. It's pathetic, and is only going to have the press come after him more and more as they are trying to get him to melt down and they don't look too far off. The man simply cannot take any responsibilities for anything negative with United when he is supposed to be the leader of this team.

Also, I really think it's only a matter of time until Liverpool overtakes Manchester United under Mourinho. I think Tottenham will always be under-achievers but maybe they'll prove that wrong this year. I'd rather have the season Liverpool had last year than finishing second with no real trophies to show for it. He's got a Europa league, a title he used to mock and now has become his only redeeming title in a season where he finished sixth after spending hundreds of millions.

FrantikChicken

While people won't ask because Fergie earned all the respect, rather than someone so selfish and demands respect.
So being one of the most decorated managers doesn't mean he has earned respect? You do realize that Mourinho is also one of the most successful ever and won 2 trophies as recently as 2 years ago?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Jose is talking himself up because it's his way of asking for respect. His history suggests he knows what he's doing. Whether we back him, that's more important then questioning him. Listen, City won the league at a canter because they bought the league and the prices are so inflated it's very difficult to compete because we need 4/5/6 players and they all have to improve the first team now....never mind in the future.

FrantikChicken

Well, first of all, I'm not contradicting he has been (key word) one of the best managers, he hasn't shown to be the best in quite some time, Pep has outclassed him and he's not in front of the press claiming to be the best. He can claim reaching second is his greatest achievement all he wants, do you see an actual team developing in the three years he's been in charge? Because every time I think there might be something, they take steps back. My only point is that he is getting this treatment from the press because all he can talk about whenever he's in difficulty is his past glory. It's pathetic, and is only going to have the press come after him more and more as they are trying to get him to melt down and they don't look too far off. The man simply cannot take any responsibilities for anything negative with United when he is supposed to be the leader of this team.

Also, I really think it's only a matter of time until Liverpool overtakes Manchester United under Mourinho. I think Tottenham will always be under-achievers but maybe they'll prove that wrong this year. I'd rather have the season Liverpool had last year than finishing second with no real trophies to show for it. He's got a Europa league, a title he used to mock and now has become his only redeeming title in a season where he finished sixth after spending hundreds of millions.
So you'd rather finish 4th with no trophies than 2nd with no trophies. Awesome

Bestietom

Media loving us atm. Move on to someone else please and let us get on with our football.

Ekeke

So being one of the most decorated managers doesn't mean he has earned respect? You do realize that Mourinho is also one of the most successful ever and won 2 trophies as recently as 2 years ago?
Are people saying Wenger is a great manager?

The question was framed in the present-future. Are you one of the greatest if ultimately you fail and never win the title at the biggest club in the country?

The question was not were you a great manager. Because just like Arsene the answer is obviously yes so nobody would ask that question.

FrantikChicken

Are people saying Wenger is a great manager?

The question was framed in the present-future. Are you one of the greatest if ultimately you fail and never win the title at the biggest club in the country?

The question was not were you a great manager. Because just like Arsene the answer is obviously yes so nobody would ask that question.
As I said, even within very recent history Mourinho is one of the most decorated managers in this league. He lost to a record point total last season that nobody had achieved before, and probably won't ever again for a very long time.

C'est Moi Cantona

I know why he does it, but hate all this talking himself he does, I know some lap it up, but I just find it vulgar, a bit of humility goes a long way.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I'd be beautiful if Mou survives till Xmas (4th-6th spots), then gets the players he needs/wants and finishes 2nd, plus another FA Cup, and perhaps the semis of the ChL.

The real season starts with Burnley.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
i thought great managers are chosen based on how many titles and trophies they have won.
If you want to live in the past, maybe. By thar logic Wenger is a better manager than Poch and Klopp.

Remember what the great man used to say about past success? It's irrelevant, all that matters is the next title/cup. Can you see Jose winning another PL title the way he's going? I can't.

Member 5225

I love Jose, but he can rant and moan as much as he wants....bottom line is we’re fecking 13th in the table, made a miserable start and don’t even play pretty football to make up for it.

What is he (and other anti-media fans) expecting?!

Smores

If you want to live in the past, maybe. By thar logic Wenger is a better manager than Poch and Klopp.

Remember what the great man used to say about past success? It's irrelevant, all that matters is the next title/cup. Can you see Jose winning another PL title the way he's going? I can't.
There's a bit of a difference between Wengers recent record and Jose's, ridiculous point.

There's no reasonable viewpoint where a manager with a huge record of success loses the status it brings in a few seasons (whilst also winning trophies) because they've not won the PL recently.

Can you imagine someone asking Fergie that in 2005? :lol:

Well for reference (especially to the critics) read the nonsense in this article particularly from the supporter group because that's what you sound like with this nonsense.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/sep/27/championsleague.blackburn

Last edited:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Honestly don't care about the English press. I have thought they were morons long before Jose became our manager . Parasites of the highest order.

But to support him simply because he is fighting the press. It's his management that is the thing for me.

His rivalry with the press is unneccessary. But it doesn't bother me.
Exactly. Let's not get distracted from his managerial performances at this time, with our club. It's simply not good enough for a £15M a year salary.

We know the press are assholes, but let's not forget we still haven't seen Jose resolve the issues on the pitch. Until he does that, anything he says in the press conferences is irrelevant.

Ekeke

As I said, even within very recent history Mourinho is one of the most decorated managers in this league. He lost to a record point total last season that nobody had achieved before, and probably won't ever again for a very long time.
Fair point

steffyr2

I know why he does it, but hate all this talking himself he does, I know some lap it up, but I just find it vulgar, a bit of humility goes a long way.
Ironic how someone with a user name of "C'est Moi Cantona" would say this, yes humility is what you prefer.

el3mel

There's a bit of a difference between Wengers recent record and Jose's, ridiculous point.

There's no reasonable viewpoint where a manager with a huge record of success loses the status it brings in a few seasons (whilst also winning trophies) because they've not won the PL recently.

Can you imagine someone asking Fergie that in 2005? :lol:

Well for reference (especially to the critics) read the nonsense in this article particularly from the supporter group because that's what you sound like with this nonsense.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/sep/27/championsleague.blackburn
Damn, if some of these fans and journos got what they wanted with Fergie gone at 2005, about half of our history would have gone.

simplyared

These interviews are just getting worse the longer we go. The manager of our club is becoming a point of ridicule sitting there reminding us of what a great manager he is and all his fantastic achievements. He turns every interview to be all about him. Saying his best acheivement was getting 3rd place with us is just another example of him shifting the praise over to him. Not only that I don't even agree with his analysis of the Spurs game. To say the team was playing magnificently is way over the top imo. To say we deserved much more than we got isn't correct either. We got what we deserved and that was a 3-0 battering on our own patch!!
Time to get rid so we can avoid being put through this emabarassment any longer!

Last edited:

Mick321

People keep talking about these "media attacks" on him but can someone point any out? Like an actual attack, not something saying we've started the season bad and play crap football as that's unfortunately just the truth. He needs to get over it and start winning football matches. You can't please everyone, Pep, Klopp, Jose etc all have people who will like them and not like them, welcome to being famous. And for all these supposed attacks he also has people like Duncan Castles and co who have an absolute worship of everything he does.

simplyared

"A proper football player is a player with consistency". Makes you wonder how he evaluates Pogba. He wouldn't be a proper footballer in that case. Wouldn't surprise me if that was aimed at him.