Jose Mourinho's press conference - Burnley(A) | 13:30 BST | Quotes updated in OP

jem

Cannot please you lot. :lol:

If Jose gave one back to the idiots masquerading as paid writers: Why is he bragging about past achievements? He is being soooo insecure and has lost it.

If Jose kept quiet: ffs fergie would have banned those cnuts. Grow a pair. Show some fight.

At the very least, he is going down fighting.
Exactly, this is the attitude I want to see. Now, I just hope he can get the tactics right and get this underperforming group of gimps to show up against Burnley.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Once again, a solid presser by Mourinho. Assertively shits on the media. I never want anything less from him.

phunky

Needs to change his underwear
I'm curious which journalist asked this question. If it was Jamie Jackson, then one has to start asking if he's just out to wind Mourinho up. The role of the media should be extract information that we, the fans, could find interesting/useful/enlightening. Simply trying to wind him up for its own sake, is extremely low-level journalism, particularly if it comes from someone working at a paper like the Guardian.
I have stopped reading his articles. The Guardian has gone down in my respect because of reporters like him.

Mick321

Once again, a solid presser by Mourinho. Assertively shits on the media. I never want anything less from him.
We may win the Press Conference Championship this season. It would be nice if he tactically started shitting over opponents rather than getting schooled by the likes of Chris Hughton.

But it's pathetic that the journalist feels the need to do that. Ok, we get it: Mourinho is insecure, has a monstrous ego, and loves to talk about his past achievements. Now find out how he plans to approach this next game and what updates can be given on player health, etc.
I agree it's pathetic that the journalist has that objective, but I'm assuming it's just his job to get the most explosive headline he can. A Mourinho rant is always going to be more likely to hit the headlines than a sensible discussion on match preparation against Burnley. Especially so with the way things are around the club at the moment.

I can't stand football journalism, it's getting worse and worse. Social media - namely Twitter - has exacerbated the problem as now average joe journalists see themselves as some sort of celebrity. Embarrassing. But equally, there's nothing to stop those at the club recognising that as the case. If Mourinho had simply refused to answer any questions besides those regarding the upcoming match I don't really think anyone would have batted an eyelid and we might have avoided headlining the news unnecessarily.

Smithy_123

All about him yet again.

When someone keeps going on about former glories and lives in the past, you know he's starting to doubt himself too.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
All about him yet again.

When someone keeps going on about former glories and lives in the past, you know he's starting to doubt himself too.
Maybe? However, I'd prefer the focus of the media was on Mourinho and not the players. I think I've seen one article about Rom missing an open goal, which from Chris Sutton in the Mail. If all the attention wasn't on Jose it would probably be on Lukaku or on Pogba or on Smalling and Jones.

Better for the focus to be on the manager before what has become a pretty important game. If every single question today was about mistakes in defence or misses up front our players would be under even more pressure on Sunday.

giant_sailor

So here is a different transcript of Mourinho's statement :D

"I am the president of the greatest nation in the world, but I'm also the greatest president in the world," Donald Trump said.

Asked if he would still be able to make that claim should the Republican party fail to keep its majority in the House, Trump replied: "Of course.

"Do you ask that question to the candidate that finished second during the primaries? To the latest republican president before me?

"I had great success last year. That is what probably you don't want to admit. I analyse my performance myself and for me, it is more important what I think than what you think.

"I won many awards. I am the only president that won the Tree of Life Award and has a star on Hollywood Boulevard. And by winning many awards - not small awards, not small titles, proper awards - my second year as president is one of my greatest achievements in life.

Reactions: Sultan

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
The actual story from that press conference is his praise for Shaw but the media after basically asking him if he's now a shit manager spin elsewhere while our resident idiots lap it up. Sad or hillarious I'm not sure
Lots of our fans are basically idiots who lap up what the media writes. Jose can never win with them.

Craig Ward

More Jose drama.....so predictable.

He's such an unlikeable character, always has been, always will be

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He was asked a question and he answered it. If he hadn't they would have made something out of it as well. That he was doubting himself, that he has lost confidence. He cannot win with the press or some of the fans no matter what he says.

Daft Lad

Maybe? However, I'd prefer the focus of the media was on Mourinho and not the players. I think I've seen one article about Rom missing an open goal, which from Chris Sutton in the Mail. If all the attention wasn't on Jose it would probably be on Lukaku or on Pogba or on Smalling and Jones.

Better for the focus to be on the manager before what has become a pretty important game. If every single question today was about mistakes in defence or misses up front our players would be under even more pressure on Sunday.
I totally get that we need to back the manager and we need to be together against the journos, the media and the general haters but seriously irrespective of the questions being asked Jose comes across as such a petulant arse. Just like he did consistently during his tenure at Real Madrid and just like his last season at Chelsea. The true test of management is dealing with thinga when they're not prefect. In any profession you earn your crust when you're having to deal with challenges. You're not always going to have the best players and the biggest transfer kitty.

This rant today is shameful and its hypocritical. If this was Wenger then Mourinho would be laughing his ass off. Since when did second become something. I've said it before, this man is lowering standards, making excuses and creating divides. I totally understand why some of the current players won't go through a brick wall for him.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I can't stand football journalism, it's getting worse and worse. Social media - namely Twitter - has exacerbated the problem as now average joe journalists see themselves as some sort of celebrity. Embarrassing. But equally, there's nothing to stop those at the club recognising that as the case. If Mourinho had simply refused to answer any questions besides those regarding the upcoming match I don't really think anyone would have batted an eyelid and we might have avoided headlining the news unnecessarily.
Of course. Twitter is a basically just way of chasing attention.

Last edited:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The sad fact about this is, no matter what he says or does in the press conference if he doesn't win the next couple of games he is in big trouble. Imagine he loses tomorrow and then loses after the international break? It's all over imo.

I think it would be worse if we win tomorrow to paper over the cracks, then lose next couple of games after we come back because the heat on him will reset will wind up slowly until he leaves. Every time he wins, that momentum stops.
4 losses in 5 games would put us in the relegation zone and I don't think I've ever seen MUFC there.
Let's hope we win the next 5 matches.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
At least the media won't be writing shit about Martial, Pogba or De Gea now that everything is mostly about Jose.
...and I think that's what Jose is aiming for.
This started in the post match press conference of our last game. Jose is deflecting the attention away from the shit performances of our players, onto himself.

If a journo asked him, "in the last match, in the 2nd half, most of your players played badly. Their heads went down after the 2 goals. Do you think you can raise their confidence level and get them winning again?"
Jose would say, "I am one of the greatest managers and have won titles everywhere I have gone".

Ace of Spades

He can shut the press up by coaching the team to play well and getting them to start consistently winning, after that all of the media circus will go away. So far, he has failed pathetically, and crying and ranting about his past glory is not helping. The ironic part is the whole thing could have been avoided, if he would not have been a negative moaning twat before the season even started.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
More Jose drama.....so predictable.

He's such an unlikeable character, always has been, always will be
I like him.
He's won us trophies and got us our highest league placing since SAF.
I hope we go on a winning run and win many more trophies.

Craig Ward

I like him.
He's won us trophies and got us our highest league placing since SAF.
I hope we go on a winning run and win many more trophies.
And your happy with the dis-jointed squad, playing style and bore tactics?

Your happy to STILL be playing Jones/Smalling CB cos Jose has won the P/L previously?

Up your expectations. Jose will never win the league for us. Never

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Still not sure what our fanbase expect of Jose. His egotistic responses always seem to come from leading questions that aim to imply he's a bad manager. He'll never cede power in that respect and nor should he because it would be the absolute worst thing to do for the manager of any top club. It would invite the media to be all over him, every week. A bit like they did with LvG, who similarly answered critics with the same derision.

Last edited:

King Kana

Supports
Chelsea
I think he's been much more grouchier nowadays but maybe I'm just not accustomed to so many sorrows during interviews.

I hope he won't have a meltdown one day. Hope his strategy against media will work out for him and the club. Trying to stay positive but I feel like I'm clutching at straws.
Bottom line is you lot are lucky to have a guy who only cares about winning and in the long run you end up with pots and glory, which we CFC can testify to. OK, at the minute it seems like it isn’t happening but you are only 3 games in.

Cantonagotmehere

Mourinho reminds me of Donald Trump. Completely unable to accept any form of criticism. Completely convinced of the rightness of everything he does, even when it's proved to be flawed or downright incorrect. Constant need to attack and belittle his rivals and detractors. Depicts everything he has done as being incredible, without exception. Never accepts any blame for anything that goes wrong. Monstrous egotism and egocentrism. Previous record of bigotry, particularly towards women.
Man, I hate this place right now. Instead of being an escape from the 'real world' to read about sports and a team most of us love, it's becoming just another internet cesspit.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
Mourinho reminds me of Donald Trump. Completely unable to accept any form of criticism. Completely convinced of the rightness of everything he does, even when it's proved to be flawed or downright incorrect. Constant need to attack and belittle his rivals and detractors. Depicts everything he has done as being incredible, without exception. Never accepts any blame for anything that goes wrong. Monstrous egotism and egocentrism. Previous record of bigotry, particularly towards women.
:lol::lol::lol:

roseguy64

This is 2018, and if this poster wants to hammer away at a notion of injustice towards women, or extrapolate an instance as a symbol of something way bigger than it actually is, he has every right to do that and you have no right to query it you mysoginistic pig.

This forum is taking some nosedive, last few days we’ve had social justice bingo - ‘toxic masculinity ‘ ‘snowflake’ ‘bigotry against women’. Let’s go red cafe let’s keep going. Why aren’t there any gender neutral players?
Someone seems triggered. Calm down there. It's not that serious.

roseguy64

People are misreading his comment about second place being an achievement. I think it's a calling back to when he was saying that the press were praising Spurs and Liverpool as better teams but we finished comfortably second so it must have been a miracle.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I think a lot of our players, Pogba included, don't deserve to wear our shirt...

Starting to think some on here are either on a WUM or should switch over and watch Klopp's lot

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The first question is an absolute shocker , referencing something the crowd was chanting.
Don't know what your press conferences are like but ours usually have nothing to do with any upcoming game. I would love to see a few bans handed out.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Last season was one of his best achievements...Is he saying that the squad is terrible?
Hard to see it as anything other than "I got them to massively over perform last season".

Tallies well with what he was saying about improvement needed over the summer. And stats. And, well, the quality that was on display.

OverratedOpinion

To be fair he obviously is one of the best managers in the world, even if he is proving not to be a good fit for us currently. I can also see why he feels the need to remind people of that currently, I believe statistically he has had the most successful first 2 years in the history of our club. He does seem to forget that he has spent over 300 million in that time but I suppose he would probably point to the fact that Liverpool has spent more with less success and even clubs like Everton, Leicester, West Ham and Wolves are spending hundreds of millions.

Lots of ways you could look at it but there are very few instances that I will side with the British press.

SirAF

Ageist
Just when I thought nothing could top Raes’ moronic rant the other day!

Drainy

Hard to see it as anything other than "I got them to massively over perform last season".

Tallies well with what he was saying about improvement needed over the summer. And stats. And, well, the quality that was on display.
He is right. Finishing 2nd last season with our lack of quality is an achievement - he wanted resources to kick on to then next level and our joke of a board said no.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Starting to love him more and more in the face of this current adversity. Kinda disappointed that more of our own supporters on the caf seem to have come down on the other side of the clear press campaign to try and bully him out. I will support a manager of his stature not taking questions like ‘are you still a great manager’ from cretins like them by just saying ‘let’s talk about the match’. I don’t get some of you guys. Simply because you obviously want a new manager, he should now be more humble and respectful to those utter retards who will simply bully the next manager who replaces him anyway, as long as it isn’t Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard anyway.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
He’s simply setting himself up for a bigger fall constantly having to defend his record whilst belittling the up and coming bosses. Last season was no way a success. Liverpool had a more successful season last season

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yes...self-consciousness is a social phenomenon. The winner (the master) ain't self-conscious, nor is the loser (the slave).

A loss can be a win (a blessing in disguise, in Caf terms). Or not. Depends.

Hegelian football. The logical follow-up to LVG's reign of bollocks, finally.