Jose Mourinho's press conference - Burnley(A) | 13:30 BST | Quotes updated in OP

poleglass red

Personally, I gladly swap my rather mundane and averagely paid job for the life of a playboy on the Cote D'Azur.
I tried it a couple of yrs ago for a few months, found it very overrated. I honestly find Blackpool when it gets the weather is as glamorous and glitzy as any of these places. Walking along Blackpool beach in the sun, with a fried egg sarnie- pure bliss

poleglass red

Mourinho reminds me of Donald Trump. Completely unable to accept any form of criticism. Completely convinced of the rightness of everything he does, even when it's proved to be flawed or downright incorrect. Constant need to attack and belittle his rivals and detractors. Depicts everything he has done as being incredible, without exception. Never accepts any blame for anything that goes wrong. Monstrous egotism and egocentrism. Previous record of bigotry, particularly towards women.
"Make Utd great again"

Treble

Jose misquoted Hegel though. "The truth is the whole", not: the truth is IN the whole.

Minimalist

Mourinho embargoed portion:

“Let me now quote the late great Col. Sanders, who said,
‘I’m too drunk to taste this chicken’.”

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
:lol::lol::lol: He's cracking up.
I've just watched the press conference. It was a pretty rude question to be honest. If you had won as much as Mourinho had why would you let someone ask you: 'would you still be one of the greatest managers in the world or would that just be an old thing based on reputation?' Plus there was an emphasis in the tone of voice on 'old.'

Why is Mourinho expected to sit there meekly while weekly being sneered at by people who, frankly, don't seem to know as much as the best posters on the CAF?

Ban

Great quotes by Jose... Anyway wouldn't surprised if he got compared to Hitler here pretty soon.

DownRiver

Wait, so Mourinho said he had won league titles in Spain, Italy and England. He also said last season finishing 2nd with Man Utd was his biggest achievement? Why don't a journalist ask questions to expand on what he means?

I find that fascinating.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'He's digging a whole for himself'.
(Bagel)

ash_86

I've just watched the press conference. It was a pretty rude question to be honest. If you had won as much as Mourinho had why would you let someone ask you: 'would you still be one of the greatest managers in the world or would that just be an old thing based on reputation?' Plus there was an emphasis in the tone of voice on 'old.'

Why is Mourinho expected to sit there meekly while weekly being sneered at by people who, frankly, don't seem to know as much as the best posters on the CAF?
Exactly. Would they dare to ask pep that?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Wait, so Mourinho said he had won league titles in Spain, Italy and England. He also said last season finishing 2nd with Man Utd was his biggest achievement? Why don't a journalist ask questions to expand on what he means?

I find that fascinating.
Well its obvious. The media keeps telling him he's a past it manager and that the new kids on the block are so much better. If he's so bad but he finished above them it must be a fantastic achievement. Mourinho even asked the journalist if he asks these questions of the managers who finished 3rd, 4th and 5th last season.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
IMO she also undermined LVG by pulling faces to the delight of her press friends in one particular conference.
Yeah I remember that... not her finest moment. Very unprofessional.

Rolaholic

We're at the point where his press conferences are the most entertaining part of the week :lol:

el3mel

Thanks @Scarecrow . Mods should put a threadmark on your post. Ridiculous how anyone who enters this to read quotes ends up going through 4 pages of nothing but moaning and only one tweet.

donkeyfish

I find that fascinating.
I think he tries to say the competition is difficult. City was impossible to touch and we finished higher than pretty good teams in Tottenham and Liverpool. Second was the very best we've could've hoped for last season. You could say it's a snide remark about the quality of our squad, or just an admittance that there's never been tougher to get a good finish.

It's either that, or he's taking the piss about the drooling in the press over those teams and their greatness.

AgentP

I like this Jose. As long as he doesn't blame his own players, I don't care what he says to piss off other managers and the media.

Jinn

I really don't see anything wrong with that press conference. I actually think it was good.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Thanks @Scarecrow . Mods should put a threadmark on your post. Ridiculous how anyone who enters this to read quotes ends up going through 4 pages of nothing but moaning and only one tweet.
Tell me about it.

I had to trudge through 3 pages of useless shite before finally finding a genuine quote from Jose.

DownRiver

The sad fact about this is, no matter what he says or does in the press conference if he doesn't win the next couple of games he is in big trouble. Imagine he loses tomorrow and then loses after the international break? It's all over imo.

I think it would be worse if we win tomorrow to paper over the cracks, then lose next couple of games after we come back because the heat on him will reset will wind up slowly until he leaves. Every time he wins, that momentum stops.

King Kana

Supports
Chelsea
In the current time period? I’m not talking about the past...

If you are, go ahead and prove it to me. There’s certainly nothing world class or top manager about the job he’s done at United so far.
What a ridiculous post :lol:
Is greatness based on current events or based on achievements over a period of time? Would you say Ali was one of the greatest boxers ever or would you argue well he was shit at the end so prove to me he is great. Your agenda is embarrassing you mate.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Great quotes by Jose... Anyway wouldn't surprised if he got compared to Hitler here pretty soon.
It's great that he quotes Hegel because people might try to read him but the quote in itself is extremely out of context. It's about how absolute truth exists in the context where you take into account every single subjective truths. Truth is the whole.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I really don't see anything wrong with that press conference. I actually think it was good.
I don't that it makes much difference what he says anymore, results on the pitch are all that counts at this point in his reign.

Another loss on Sunday will surely equal game over.

el3mel

Tell me about it.

I had to trudge through 3 pages of useless shite before finally finding a genuine quote from Jose.
These threads need to be posted a mod and kept closed while the mod is posting the quotes one after another, then open it for the moaners, so that at least those who want to read the quotes will find them in first page.

Treble

Jose is right that journalists should respect the whole of his career as a manager and not getting fixated on his problems now. And as a whole his career is fantastic.

mark_a

Quotes from philosphers. Yes. That's what we want. State of the journalists, I reckon most of them had to google Hegel.

All the press wanted was another episode of "Moody Jose" - where the press look for anything they can say is moody to report as him being moody.

"Jose, why do you react in such a moody way to the way the press covers you?"

"Jose, can't you lively up a bit, maybe cheerily confont an opposing player on the field after the game or something?"

"Jose, why are you not happy with our constantly negative reporting of United?"

Hegel also said:

"We learn from history that we do not learn from history." One for Woodward and the Board?

"Be a person and respect others as persons." Another Jose fave

"Just as little is seen in pure light as in pure darkness."

In a parallel dimension, United had a good run and won the Premier League & the press regard Jose as a deep philosophical genius

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
These threads need to be posted a mod and kept closed while the mod is posting the quotes one after another, then open it for the moaners, so that at least those who want to read the quotes will find them in first page.
Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Hopefully the mods will consider it for future threads on Jose's press conferences.

The Firestarter

Jose is right that journalists should respect the whole of his career as a manager and not getting fixated on his problems now. And as a whole his career is fantastic.
I don't fecking care if he has won the championship on Mars. His boasting about previous achievements means to absolve him from the blame for the club's current predicament. He refuses to acknowledge that the game and coaching has progressed and he has stayed in the same place. His football is dinosauric now.

Riverized157

Supports
Benfica
Things change quickly in football. In 05-07 Benitez was among the best. Several years later he wasn't among the best any more.

Jose's last great season was with Madrid (11-12), about 6 years ago. Ranieri won the PL with Leicester a year after Jose won it with Chelsea. Wouldn't count that title as a top achievement.

Jose's last games in the CL:

2014: Atleti 1:4 at home
2015: 10-man PSG 2:2 at home
2018 Sevilla 1:2 at home

3 times in a row he was humilated at home in the last 3 CL campaigns. Facts speak for themselves.
What are you even talking about?! First of all it was 1-3 with Atlético de Madrid and that game was just a Champions League Semi-Final - nothing mutch in your head I guess. Was also his fifth straight Champions League Semi-Final - again nothing mutch. Then he lost the aggregate with PSG - pretty good team - by the away goal rule (3-3)... the only bad result was indeed the crash and burn performance against Sevilla.

Mourinho won the League and the League Cup just in the season 2014/2015 - three years ago - he won the Community shield, League Cup and Uefa League just two years ago already with United... so its hard to understand what people mean by past it, or "dated manager"!

The so called great managers of today like Pochettino and Klopp won 0 titles in that same period of time and they finished behind United last year... are they dated managers?

You might not like his brand of football or even his "persona", but results wise he is still one of the very best in the world - hell even in the mighty premier league there is only one manager that has won more than Mourinho in the last 4 years!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I quite enjoy it when he massages his own ego, but we need results on the pitch to match it.
If a manager does not have a big ego, MUFC will chew that manager up and spit him out. Ask Moyes. That dude had no ego, worked blood hard, but the weight of the MUFC crushed him.

Now, let's win some matches!!!

Water Melon

The question was indeed rude, but Jose stepped down to the same level. No surprise there, though. Both the press and JM deserve each other. Hyenas smelling blood again against a self inflated balloon on the verge of a prick. Makes tons of fun for neutrals, I guess.

jem

Mourinho reminds me of Donald Trump. Completely unable to accept any form of criticism. Completely convinced of the rightness of everything he does, even when it's proved to be flawed or downright incorrect. Constant need to attack and belittle his rivals and detractors. Depicts everything he has done as being incredible, without exception. Never accepts any blame for anything that goes wrong. Monstrous egotism and egocentrism. Previous record of bigotry, particularly towards women.
What is record of bigotry, towards women or otherwise?