Jose Mourinho's press conference - West Ham (A) : 14:00 BST

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Watching the video of the press conference he seems very certain that there is no problem between him and Pogba, good, hopefully we do the talking on the pitch which is most important.
The journalists really are terrible though, almost no mention of the match whatsoever, and no matter what Mourinho says they will say what they have pre-determined anyway.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
SAF rarely throw his players under the bus like Mourinho.

That's why SAF refused to back Mourinho in 2013.
He occasionally did throw players under the bus. Becks, Ince and Rooney for example. However, we're talking here of a career spanning in decades. Mou had more drama in the past 2 years with us then SAF had in nearly 3 decades. The reason to that is that its largely counterproductive. It lower the players value and it causes friction in the dressing room. This whole charade is needless. Mou should have done his 'analysis' before giving Pogba the vice captain role, not after.

This will end up in misery which is no surprise since Mou's last two jobs ended up in misery as well.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
SAF rarely throw his players under the bus like Mourinho.

That's why SAF refused to back Mourinho in 2013.
Well that's just not correct isn't it, Mourinho had already agreed to re-join Chelsea by the time Fergie decided on retiring

devilish

Watching the video of the press conference he seems very certain that there is no problem between him and Pogba, good, hopefully we do the talking on the pitch which is most important.
The journalists really are terrible though, almost no mention of the match whatsoever, and no matter what Mourinho says they will say what they have pre-determined anyway.
The manager caused this ridiculous situation in the first place. This drama could have been easily avoided with some top man management.

fen4e

If only he had felt this way after going out in the Rof16 instead of mocking the club's history and 'heritage' to defend himself...
Honestly, for me that was the lowest I'd felt as a United supporter. The disastrous result aside, Mourinho's comments after the game were straight-up insulting to everyone who cares about this club.

He obviously doesn't.

Dec9003

The manager caused this ridiculous situation in the first place. This drama could have been easily avoided with some top man management.
The Media manufacture most of the drama at United, you and I don't know anything about his man management because we don't train with the team.

devilish

The Media manufacture most of the drama at United, you and I don't know anything about his man management because we don't train with the team.
The media existed during SAF as well and we didn't had this drama at all. Mou should have analysed Pogba's leadership before making him vice captain not after. Also its stupid to say that a 25 year old will always lack the necessary qualities to captain this side. People change in time and such patronising attitude is indeed lack of man management.

No wonder why Mou left by 'mutual consent' at Real and he lost the dressing room at Chelsea.

Fracture90

I find this to be a bit nonsensical coming from Mourinho, could be another stunt to flock his supporters. (Keep reading)

They're both employees of the club and as it happens, Pogba said we should be attacking, more, hardly an insult to the club.

Now you can say he's undermining the manager, with his "I'm not the manager" line which would be true and I guess it can be translated as undermining a higher-up of the club, that being Mourinho in this particular case.

But how is that any different to Mourinho undermining Woodward regarding the transfers when whilst being questioned about the lack of new signings he was always quick to point out that it's not his job, they should ask Woodward about that and that he gave him the list of players he wants long ago.

Don't wanna bring up the other suff he's done.

Dec9003

The media existed during SAF as well and we didn't had this drama at all. Mou should have analysed Pogba's leadership before making him vice captain not after. Also its stupid to say that a 25 year old will always lack the necessary qualities to captain this side. People change in time and such patronising attitude is indeed lack of man management.

No wonder why Mou left by 'mutual consent' at Real and he lost the dressing room at Chelsea.
You have literally no idea as how a manager analyzes a players leadership ability.
You just obviously don't like Mourinho Iregardless, if he said it was Friday you would say it's Sunday, it's a pointless discussion.

Dec9003

I find this to be a bit nonsensical coming from Mourinho, could be another stunt to flock his supporters. (Keep reading)

They're both employees of the club and as it happens, Pogba said we should be attacking, more, hardly an insult to the club.

Now you can say he's undermining the manager, with his "I'm not the manager" line which would be true and I guess it can be translated as undermining a higher-up of the club, that being Mourinho in this particular case.

But how is that any different to Mourinho undermining Woodward regarding the transfers when whilst being questioned about the lack of new signings he was always quick to point out that it's not his job, they should ask Woodward about that and that he gave him the list of players he wants long ago.

Don't wanna bring up the other suff he's done.
Please watch the press conference, that 'quote' is taken over three questions, not all even about Pogba, and then crammed into one answer to push the agenda; lazy journalism.

Fracture90

Please watch the press conference, that 'quote' is taken over three questions, not all even about Pogba, and then crammed into one answer to push the agenda; lazy journalism.
Aright mate, will do, cheers for clarification.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Do we really give a shit about the press conferences?
Exactly what I just thought.
Very little of what is said in press conferences holds any truth.
People are wasting their time trying to analyze every word that comes from a mouth of a manager who’s play acting for the press, which is what it is.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
There are no draws in knock-out cup competitions.
It was a draw, but we lost the penalty shoot-out.
In any case, we need to move on from that match - league cup at this stage, is not too important (though it was a trophy we could've won).

devilish

You have literally no idea as how a manager analyzes a players leadership ability.
You just obviously don't like Mourinho Iregardless, if he said it was Friday you would say it's Sunday, it's a pointless discussion.
Actually up to a few weeks ago I was still giving Mou the benefit of the doubt. You can check my posts if you want to. Then we drew against Wolves, this ridiculous drama came out and we lost against frigging Derby at home. The signs seem pretty clear to me.

Returning to your post I don't remember SAF or any other talented manager engaging himself in this sort of drama of giving and then stripping a player from his vice captain ship in a short period of few months. I also can't recall any manager stating in the media that a 25 year old will never be captain's material. That's humiliating to the player and totally unnecessary.

Dec9003

Well I don't remember SAF or any other talented manager engaging himself in this sort of drama of giving and then stripping a player from his vice captain ship in a short period of few months. I also can't recall any manager stating in the media that a 25 year old will never be captain's material. That's humiliating to the player and totally unnecessary.
Sir Alex endured plenty of drama at the club, didn't he once refer to himself as an emotional man?
Mourinho never said he will never be captains material, just that right now he's just a player for United, no drama.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Returning to your post I don't remember SAF or any other talented manager engaging himself in this sort of drama of giving and then stripping a player from his vice captain ship in a short period of few months. I also can't recall any manager stating in the media that a 25 year old will never be captain's material. That's humiliating to the player and totally unnecessary.
Pogba can turn it around, but he'll have to convince Jose, from scratch.
The problem is that Pogba does think that he is bigger than any one person at the club and that he can run the show.
I remember when Pogba gave interviews alongside Ibra. I could not have predicted that he would become like this. Had Ibra still been here, I think he'd kept matters under control and I think this is why Jose prefers to work with older players as they bring maturity.

In any case, I am more interested in how we play tomorrow, than the Jose vs Pogba debate.

Himannv

I think he's handled this press conference very well to be fair to him. The only problem is Pogba will probably undermine him by posting something on social media or in a separate interview somewhere.

Anyway, I hope we play well and beat West Ham, which is really the most important thing in the short term.

hn4manunited

The fact that this thread is only 6 pages long, Jose has handled the press conference very well:)

E-mal

How is ther Derby game a draw? it was knock out game that we lost on penalties, so we lost.
This is ridiculous.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
How gullible can people get... regardless of what side you are on Jose vs Pogba - the fact he has had to strip a player of their vice-captaincy so early into a season and a player of Pogba's status very much confirms 100% that there is a HUGE problem between manager and player.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
How is ther Derby game a draw? it was knock out game that we lost on penalties, so we lost.
This is ridiculous.
Ffs, what is the matter with people. You know exactly what he means.

Morpheus 7

Such a lazy post. What mess and what control?
Lazy post? Alright then, I'll break it down for you. Jose is the manager and he sets the tone and handles the motivation and man management of players and coaching staff, he's not doing a good job. He's not getting the most out of this team from individual performances to collective ones. The results have been incredibly poor at Old Trafford and the the team are not far off a crisis. His control of the dressing room has been a mess. Players are clearly not happy and he's dealt with the press horribly. The negative atmosphere and leaks coming from within the club are awful. The players have much to answer for but he's our manager and he's not leading us properly. The handling of Pogba and the vice captaincy has been a a circus, Jose started it with comments after he won the World Cup and it's been back and forth since August. It's a weekly drama with United for all the wrong reasons. How he's dealt with Bailly, Periera, Martial, Pogba and Mata so far since pre season been erratic at best. It's all over the place, as I said no player is bigger than the club but either is a manager. Especially one that has no respect for Man United overall. His comments after bad defeats like Sevillla are all about him and his ego. We are a divided club and he is not uniting us at all, only one way this is going. There is shared blame from board, Ed, Jose and players but Jose hasn't guided and developed us near enough.

Dec9003

How gullible can people get... regardless of what side you are on Jose vs Pogba - the fact he has had to strip a player of their vice-captaincy so early into a season and a player of Pogba's status very much confirms 100% that there is a HUGE problem between manager and player.
I didn't say there wasn't a problem, just that Jose said there isn't, which is certainly the right thing to do Iregardless of the reality.

CA1

Anyway, I hope we play well and beat West Ham, which is really the most important thing in the short term.
Does anybody actually care?

It'd actually be funny if Arnautovic strung Lindelof up which is a very distinct possibility. It would double highlight Woodward's incompetence.

I hope he gives the useless Swede a meatephorical rodgering. Arnautovic not Woodward.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It'd actually be funny if Arnautovic strung Lindelof up which is a very distinct possibility. It would double highlight Woodward's incompetence.

I hope he gives the useless Swede a meatephorical rodgering. Arnautovic not Woodward.
:houllier:

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
Derby game being a draw is as true as Community Shield being a trophy. You see the point that's being made but just doesnt make rational sense to say it out loud.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?

Wat?