Jose Mourinho's Utd

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Are folk really moaning after 4 games of pre season that we don't suddenly look like Real Madrid??

Jesus. We have been utter shite for 3 years. It's not a disney film. I agree with the previous poster...get ready for a bumpy start to the season. Players don't even look 75 percent fit yet.

I agree that we dont look a team that is suddenly going to score shedloads of goals but what do we expect? Miracles after three shite years of tumescent, horrible football?

We are not going to hit the ground running for me...first 6 or 7 games at least will be about grinding out results as we start to address the problems we gave had the last 3 seasons.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Are folk really moaning after 4 games of pre season that we don't suddenly look like Real Madrid??

Jesus. We have been utter shite for 3 years. It's not a disney film. I agree with the previous poster...get ready for a bumpy start to the season. Players don't even look 75 percent fit yet.

I agree that we dont look a team that is suddenly going to score shedloads of goals but what do we expect? Miracles after three shite years of tumescent, horrible football?

We are not going to hit the ground running for me...first 6 or 7 games at least will be about grinding out results as we start to address the problems we gave had the last 3 seasons.
Yep couldn't agree more. Our lack of movement up top is worrying (Zlatan is a massive upgrade though) but he needs runners around him only Rashford runs in behind (not seen enough of Mkhitaryan yet) that's why I wanted Mane signed as he excels at this. To many players wanting to come short to get the ball to feet. Hopefully Jose irons this out. Pogba will help if he signs as he can drive us forward from midfield and also skip by a player or two at ease which we currently lack big time.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
The impression is that for this team, even with Pogba, will be really hard to get the 4th place.

Too weak defensively

In the mid there is a lack of quality and balance

Upfront, on the left, we play with Martial but we would need an offensive midfielder with a great dribbling and an assistman attitude, not a striker who plays on the left

And Rooney it's a problem

It will be a long and difficoult road.
Hard to get the 4th place.... Hard to get the 4th place......

What kind of United fan thinks like that? When you have players like Zlatan, De Gea, Mkhi, Martial, Shaw, Smalling, Pogba you would think it would be hard for 1st let alone fourth.

I know you can't criticize posters in here but how can you post such a pessimistic post after 4 fecking games.

By the way please tell me the players you would sign to fill in the holes so we don't finish fourth.

Zen

Insane seeing "hard to get fourth place", really is.

Bring in a league proven manager , but four players who were going to be in the CL but come to United....with the core from last year still there which really really really should have been top 4 anyway, yeah. I'm seeing top 4 as a piece of piss, as it rightfully should be, same with City and should be seeing top 2 as a piece of piss.

It's Chelsea fans who should be seeing top four as a tough ask as of right now.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I see positive signs but there is still a lack of movement. Jose shouted movement movement which is great to hear. I think by October we can see "his" United. We need more practice, get our fitness level back up and become sharper

Womp

idiot
He looks miserable.
Ay, his lack of emotion is worrying, maybe he wasn't dying to manage us like we all assumed after all. Then again, could also be that he knows what happened in his last season at Chelsea so he might be fully focused on performing, rather than put on a show like usual.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Some ridiculous comments in here after a couple of pre season matches.

The first month may be tough but I'm sure we will be a super outfit once we get to full fitness and match sharpness. Pogba's introduction will help our midfield incredibly.

Ay, his lack of emotion is worrying, maybe he wasn't dying to manage us like we all assumed after all. Then again, could also be that he knows what happened in his last season at Chelsea so he might be fully focused on performing, rather than put on a show like usual.
So he should be fuming and emotional during pre-season and testimonial games?... this fecking place.

Womp

idiot
So he should be fuming and emotional during pre-season and testimonial games?... this fecking place.
No but he could smile every now and again. Where in my post did I mention anger?

Anyone have some photos of him genuinely smiling since joining us? His unveiling he looked miserable and has looked angry ever since.

That being said, I really couldn't give a toss if he wasn't happy, as long as he gets us winning games.

GBBQ

Insane seeing "hard to get fourth place", really is.

Bring in a league proven manager , but four players who were going to be in the CL but come to United....with the core from last year still there which really really really should have been top 4 anyway, yeah. I'm seeing top 4 as a piece of piss, as it rightfully should be, same with City and should be seeing top 2 as a piece of piss.

It's Chelsea fans who should be seeing top four as a tough ask as of right now.
Yes I am fairly sure that a lot of people on this forum have been taking crazy pills. Such negativity before a ball has been kicked in a competitive match makes no sense and if we extrapolate Premier League standings from pre-season games then we should have won the league when we beat Real Madrid in the States.

Ok we've not set the world alight but there are 2 points to make, they're not at 100% fitness and they need to shake off the malaise that LVG's tactics instilled in the team. Hargreaves and Rio both mentioned that there seemed to be a lot more movement in the team and if/when we bring Pogba in we have a formidable looking first 11.

In short, we'll be fine.

Kag

I think we're lacking the players to play the formation he's seemingly adopted and I don't think Ibrahimovic and Rooney will work together in the slightest.

We're not winning anything with the likes of Lingard and Young getting semi-regular game time out wide.

I'm increasingly convinced we still need a player for the right side of midfield. If we're going to waste Januzaj then I'd be taking a serious look at Mahrez to beef up our attacking options. We also need another centre half.

Zen

We're not winning anything with the likes of Lingard and Young getting semi-regular game time out wide.
That's odd because those two just won an FA Cup....

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Back to the chairs for a sec.- Will they be there when the season starts?

Ole90+3

The main thing I'm excited about, and something that we severely lacked over the past 3 years (and more), is watching the team progress into a Mourinho team.

That has been the most disheartening aspect of watching United over the past few years - the lack of identity, the team not progressing nor showing constant improvement.

I'm confident Mourinho is the man to make United his team and to be ruthless enough in the transfer market to bring in the players he needs to succeed.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No but he could smile every now and again. Where in my post did I mention anger?

Anyone have some photos of him genuinely smiling since joining us? His unveiling he looked miserable and has looked angry ever since.

That being said, I really couldn't give a toss if he wasn't happy, as long as he gets us winning games.

Does this mean we're going to be ok?

Ole90+3

From what I've seen of Mourinho and what I've heard, is that the man is very different to what you see in the public eye. I think a lot of the sideline frowns and presser wind ups is put on, and the man you see smiling and laughing in training is the real him. I mean, does this not remind you of a man we all know and love? He's as close to Fergie as you'll get in the current crop of managers.

Kag

And we also finished in 5th place. Do you think they're good enough to be starting games for a title-challenging team?

I'm not even convinced by them as back ups. Likewise Memphis.

londonredmaniac

Yep couldn't agree more. Our lack of movement up top is worrying (Zlatan is a massive upgrade though) but he needs runners around him only Rashford runs in behind (not seen enough of Mkhitaryan yet) that's why I wanted Mane signed as he excels at this. To many players wanting to come short to get the ball to feet. Hopefully Jose irons this out. Pogba will help if he signs as he can drive us forward from midfield and also skip by a player or two at ease which we currently lack big time.
Conpletely in the same boat on this. Zlatan looked genuinely confused last night with the ball at times seeing no runners in behind.

I hope this is addressed...but it's not happening overnight.

londonredmaniac

Could give you a list of players that have won the FA Cup that shouldn't play for United.

I disagree with the point though. I dont mind Lingard being part of the squad...I think he is decent. I don't see him as a regular starter in a League winning side mind.

manichester

I am not a huge Carrick fan but the last 2 games he has played in (first half against Everton and 2nd half against Galatasary) we have looked better going forward and each time with different players around him.

The problem Jose has is finding a system that works without Carrick, Pogba was not succesful in that role for France and we don't appear to have anyone else, especially as Bastian is out of favour

4 3 3 may work, but cannot see Rooney in that formation. Mid 3 Mikhi, Scneiderlin/Carrick ,Pogba front 3 Rashford, Ibra, Martial.

Perrick Dubois

I posted in this thread somehting similar. It still feels like "Bringing United back" and not "Mourinho's United." Though that testimonial game was a cure for insomnia I must admit.

Ephrem

We will need Carrick and jose has to find a way to win games when carrick is not available . If he can do that successfully then we will fight for the league

MartialsBeard

You lot are nuts,

I guess its to be expected,

Considering all the factors its nothing shocking, LVG hangover, Jose implementing new ideas, players working together in new systems and of course the fact that in these friendlies not once have we played a team close to a starting line-up for us.

Bat shit some of you.

Reddevildans

The disruptive pre season we have had has not helped our preparation for the season. With players returning at diffferent times to the squad its been difficult. The one plus we have had this time around is there hasnt been any injury concerns (even Phil Jones is fit!). Looking foward I think we will definately have a better season than last simply because we have bought quality and added volume to the squad (bench is now strong). But everyone should look foward to some dour home performances where we struggle to break down teams and create chances. I think a lot of the top teams will be inconsistent throughout the season as it is becoming a level playing field in the league. I can see us being stronger away from home.

RedCurry

First of all Jose needs to ensure that we don't lose games. Keep the number of lost games down to lesser than 5 and we'll have a shot at the title. To actually go on and win it, we'll need someone to get us goals, we'll see if we can do that.

To make sure we don't lose games, we need our midfielders to step up and stop the teams from running at us straight down the centre. If Schneiderlin doesn't pick his game up, I am confident that Mourinho will find a replacement in January.

RedStarUnited

I thought we played well. Once Rooney learns and accepts that Zlatan will come chaort and is a lot better at build up play then we will benefit more.

The only tweak the team needs is adding better off the ball running. With Micky/Pogba/Zlatan we will add some of the best people at finding runners in the world. Can we make the runs to benefit from those guys? thats the question.

Oh and Jose has finally given Valencia purpose again, He actually looks forward rather than backwards. Shame that cant be said about Ashley Young.

Witchking

The team needs to have a brilliant first game like United vs Fulham in the 06-07 season. Everyone was disappointed in between 2004-06 seasons where United really did not have the quality to take on Chelsea.

With the number of excellent managers in the league, it will be very difficult to claw back points once you have lost them and trailing teams like City, Chelsea will be difficult.

Start the first game of the season and get a good victory which will give some confidence to the players who might still be adjusting with each other and shows the fans that the team is capable of playing some excellent football. Scrap a 1-0 win with dull football will get you points but will also give confidence to other teams that United can be taken on plus the fans will be disappointed. We need to get the fear back in to other teams playing United. Drop points and we are already trailing on the first day of the season which puts additional pressure.

From the 2012 (maybe even earlier) to Fergie retiring, Moyes & LvG coming, United's football has been very very boring and dull. This needs changing. It's no fun to watch United play and my worry is that players like Rooney, Zlatan have no pace and will keep butting in to midfield to get in to play and we won't score many goals. Play an explosive first game and some of my fears will allayed.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
You can try and read all you want into Jose's facial expressions but you'll never know what really goes on with him. He was the "happy one" at Chelsea last season and look what happened. Smiling laughing. If he's looking miserable now maybe that's a good thing for Utd. I imagine at the moment he is in regular talks with the board about who he wants in and out. I know I have a jaundiced view on things Jose, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if the board were thinking Bobby Charlton was right. I don't know Jose personally but there's no way he's an easy character to get on with when it comes to transfers. Things are very black and white for him and this is probably why Utd are considering parting with over £100million, if they haven't already, for one player. He has bought the premier league before after all. Hasn't he?

On another track, Jose was always a Rooney fan and wanted him to come to Chelsea. Whereas I think Jose will shoehorn him into the team, many Utd fans seem to think that Rooney is a problem as there isn't an obvious position for him to play in. I'm no expert on how Utd could play this season but if Rooney is a problem would you guys consider selling him, and if so for how much? He would fit into the Chelsea squad nicely if we are playing 442.

rotherham_red

I'm not too concerned with the lack of fluency. What I am concerned with, is that Rooney, like he did with LVG and Moyes, seems to be convincing Jose to build around him. He'll have started every single game in the preseason schedule that he's been available for. Mourinho has already stated that he's his captain and he was gushing in his praise of him yesterday, even though his performances have been subpar. If he does do the unthinkable, we'll have wasted £100m+ on Pogba, as he won't suit playing in a double pivot and we will have to put up with the ill-discipline of Rooney, yet again.

OldTrevil

You can try and read all you want into Jose's facial expressions but you'll never know what really goes on with him. He was the "happy one" at Chelsea last season and look what happened. Smiling laughing. If he's looking miserable now maybe that's a good thing for Utd. I imagine at the moment he is in regular talks with the board about who he wants in and out. I know I have a jaundiced view on things Jose, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if the board were thinking Bobby Charlton was right. I don't know Jose personally but there's no way he's an easy character to get on with when it comes to transfers. Things are very black and white for him and this is probably why Utd are considering parting with over £100million, if they haven't already, for one player. He has bought the premier league before after all. Hasn't he?

On another track, Jose was always a Rooney fan and wanted him to come to Chelsea. Whereas I think Jose will shoehorn him into the team, many Utd fans seem to think that Rooney is a problem as there isn't an obvious position for him to play in. I'm no expert on how Utd could play this season but if Rooney is a problem would you guys consider selling him, and if so for how much? He would fit into the Chelsea squad nicely if we are playing 442.
Take him for free and assume his wages include the transfer fee! As for Mourinho, I doubt he is a pain to work with given his proven man management skills, his calamitous final year at Chelsea notwithstanding. He may be authoritarian with the way he runs the team, but so was Fergie, people around the club will be used to working with such a character. Furthermore, I think Mourinho views Fergie's achievement as a career challenge he would love to take on, which is why he was angling for this job ever since Fergie's retirement came to light. This is why Mounrinho at United has potential to be a long and successful partnership.

Ibi Dreams

It's too early for there to be any bad blood between Mourinho and the board, way too early. Moyes, Van Gaal and now Mourinho are/were all allowed to make the signings they wanted, and the signings Mourinho has made have, on paper, been very good. It's also no secret that Woodward has been willing, if not actively wanting to spend big on a marquee player like Pogba. The Pogba deal definitely isn't just Mourinho being stubborn and asking for a ridiculous amount of money, he is being backed by Woodward all the way. As Woodward said before, United can do things in the transfer market that virtually no other club can.

Womp

idiot

Take him for free.

In regards to the rest of your post, Woodward wouldn't spend 100m+ on an individual player just because the manager wanted it, he would have spoken to the Glazers and all other parties involved.

santeria13

Sublemon
What i like about this team already is....that we pass ball forward. Something that has rarely occurred in the last 2 years.
I've noticed this as well. As soon as we get the ball, the aim is to move it forward and push up the pitch. For most of our players, this is an alien concept and will take some time to adjust to. LVG asked for 3 months for players to get used to his 'philosophy'(blimey, I will never be able to use this word in a good light again) whilst Moyes had his excuses ready from his first interview. Mourinho came in and said we are aiming to win right away.

At the very least, he deserves some leeway regarding our first few games, especially considering our last 3 seasons, our last 2 managers, our absolute disaster of a pre-season tour and the fact our players are used to a completely different system than the one he is trying to implement. In fact, he has more reasons to make excuses than the other two in the first place. Not to mention, if Pogba comes, we will have 4 new first team players that need time to gel with their teammates. The fact he hasn't even mentioned any of this, save for the quote about putting the last 3 years behind us; reflects on the type of man he is :cool:

It's nice to see some positivity and rational thought in here. Thank you

Last edited:

Creepy

Account relocated to MaxiPaxi
Posters reading into Jose's body language... you lot are a bunch of raving lunatics. :lol:

I, for one, is extremely happy with what I've seen so far.

Jose will win us the Europa League and the Champions League the year after. He'll repeat what he did at Porto. I've seen it. I'm clairvoyant.

I'm taking this ITK shit to the next level.

Raving lunatics - Ah, the irony...

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Obviously some are still devangling. We have one of the best managers in the world, and once Pogba is signed, we can say we have bought very well.

Players are unfit, and are still getting used to a new manager, and in some cases, a new country. We'll be fine.

Sad Chris

Confidence beyond doubt bordering on arrogance will be the biggest game changer for us imo.

With the exception of Miki I think every signing this year including Mou and Pogba (if he does sign) are unshakably confident of themselves.

Less competitive leagues lead to one or two teams building or maintaining their high level of confidence over the whole season that also gives them the edge over PL-clubs in the CL.

If our youngsters soak up the confidence around them I think we have everything in place for a successful future.

Martial_Law

I know this won't occur as Jose seems very set on his system, but a 4-1-4-1 could be deployed really well.

GK
Back 4
Schneiderlin
Martial-Pogba-Rooney-Mkhitaryan
Zlatan or Rashford

Have Morgan sat infront of the 4 as Mr Interceptor, with Pogba in the space between him and Wazza helping to provide ammunition for the attacks.

This wouldn't solely rely on Morgan to do the dog work,nor would it mean that Rooney would become a DM - but it does leave room for some nice interchange of play.

We have options to pummel with speed, or hold off with height and power & its nice that we can (or should be able to) see two setups in which all those on board would be capable of fitting in.

Granted, this system can be weak if the defensive '1' isn't up to scratch as it just leaves a massive gap to play in behind our midfield.

On the plus side the thought of Pogba/Rooney rattling around in the middle(ish) with the pace we have either side and either big Zlat or Rashford hovering around to get some shots off, we really could make teams suffer badly this season.

I am hoping that we smell blood early on in games, kill them off, then just keep going.

Does everybody feel Zlatan will only stay central, or will we see the drifting/interchange like they had at PSG with him?

Either way, I'm really excited for the new season :)

Status
Not open for further replies.