Jose took an almighty risk today

el3mel

There's no reason to fight in a losing battle, even if we had won today no guarantee for us to defeat Spurs at their last game at WHL or the othe 3 games.

We're draw and win away from a European trophy so it's better to concentrate all your work on the easier route that the hard one.

SteveW

Completely logical choice. A draw and a win v 4 wins. We weren't going to beat Arse, Spurs and Soton away from home with a tired and depleted squad. Sometimes you have to take emotion out and just do what needs to be done. He made the correct choice

el3mel

Also some fans compare our situation to Liverpool last season when they put all their gamble on EL. I don't see this a logical comparison as Liverpool had to play Seville in the final, way much better team than them.

We're playing Celta and Ajax. We're clearly the favorite.

Mr.Plow

He did the right thing. Not a hope in hell we'd have one our 4 remaining league games. We're hardly in good form at the moment in the league.

SER19

Whilst I don't agree with what he did I understood it.

I'd fancy us to beat Vigo at home then Ajax at a neutral venue moreso than beat both Arsenal and Spurs away.
Yeah, this.
Which is easier?
Beating Celta Vigo at home with an away goal advantage in hand then advancing to beat Ajax? Or beating Arsenal and Spurs away then beating Crystal Palace at home?
Jesus look at what we've become. I don't mean you guys personally as I don't even disagree with you entirely but the state of the standards at this club. How the feck has this happened in 4 years

shield

It really wasn't. Before kick off it was in our own hands.
Don't know, we would still have to defeat Tottenham at White Hart Lane which even Chelsea have not managed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Jose did the right thing that hopefully every responsible manager would do - stack the odds in our favor by prioritizing the path of least resistance. In either case, its not as if he fielded a team of reserves vs le Arse. They were fresher, at home, and out to prove something to their manager and fans.

MataFanatic

He didn't take a risk at all actually. Played it so defensive which isn't rare for Jose this season. Unfortunately, we never looked like we wanted to win the game which I think gave Arsenal some encouragement and confidence. We invited them on to us and they grew into the game. Pretty poor result. Just wish we had been a bit more brave in this game and particularly in the City game. We are a better team top to bottom than both Arsenal and City and we've picked up 2 points from a possible 12 against these sides this season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Tough ask to make that many changes and get a result at a big team.

However, it was going fine, albeit it very defensive until that ridiculously flukey goal. When that sort of thing happens you know it's not your day.

The team we put out wasn't that weak as such, but had too many players either coming back (Jones, Smalling, Mata), new (Tuanzebe), or off/past their game, (Rooney)

I walked out of the game less disappointed than with many of the home draws.

It's all about context.

There were no songs of delirium from Arsenal outside the ground. They know that changed nothing

Sparky Rhiwabon

He didn't give up on the league - it was still a strong team given all the games we have, the injuries, etc. Fact is, we are not one of the four best teams in the league and don't deserve to finish top four.

Son Of Sam

Jesus look at what we've become. I don't mean you guys personally as I don't even disagree with you entirely but the state of the standards at this club. How the feck has this happened in 4 years
The squad management by Jose's predecessors was awful. When Fergie was firing in all fronts to win the treble in 1999, we had all our 4 strikes fit and raring to go in the run-in that season. All the 4 strikers(Yorke, Solksjaer, Sheringham & Cole) participated in the CL final against Bayern.

We don't even have up to 3 elite strikers in the current squad cos Rooney plays for the opponents. That's the state of affairs at Man Utd which I am sure Jose must rectify in the summer. We need about 6 new players to correct the years of rottenness served by LVG/Jose.

Tarrou

It was an easy decision to prioritise Europa, and of course he won't be sacked if we don't win it.

Winning the Europa League is way more important than finishing in the top 4.

welshwingwizard

Nothing to do with standards. It's facts - the games are easier and Fergie would have done same as Jose in same position. We have lost a lot of players to injury and have had to play a huge amount of games so the rest are shattered. It's the clever thing.

Enigma_87

You know who
Well of course I personally want us to give all on all fronts but we have to be realists and Jose as well. We have to go to WHL and two more games in EL(hopefully) add injury woes to that and get the full picture.

In addition to that our bench options at the moment are IMO awful.

Galactico

It's actually easier "than winning 2 games instead of 4". He only has to draw one and win one.

red4ever 79

Just seen Jose's post match and I am so p*ssed with this guy. Apparantly we deserved to win, and played to win. What a load of hogwash. We virtually had Mata and Miki playing as full backs there. What a tumescent display that was, similar to away at City. He then goes on to say Jones and Smalling were fantastic. The same Smalling who got caught out positionally for the second. If we dont win the Europa Jose is gonna look an even bigger t*at than today's interview

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I honestly don't give a feck about the league anymore. It was dead a while ago with all those draws for me.
Pretty much this. We are interested in a trophy and CL qualification, not a probable 5th place finish.

Woodzy

And what if we go all out to win these four games, only to lose to a Palace side (in the unlikely event we got past the previous three!) fighting to stay up? As a result, we are absolutely knackered for the Europa League final and potentially missing key players through injury.

It would have been absolutely mental to fight for 4th at this point, when all we need to do is put in a half decent performance on Thursday then spend the rest of the season preparing for a game against Ajax.

What Jose did is smart, and while it is disappointing we went into a game against Arsenal without a care in the world, it was the right decision.

If we want to be disappointed in Jose for anything, it can be not getting points from a bucket load of winnable games and performances this season.

Obiorahking_

What standards?
It is easier to win 2 games straight than win 4 games straight. Right?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's actually easier "than winning 2 games instead of 4". He only has to draw one and win one.
Yep. Advancing to the final on the 24th should more or less allow us to be at near full strength minus Ibra and Rojo.

Son Of Sam

After today's game....I am sure the British media would be trying to convince us that Rooney should start if we make it to Europa final.

After all, he's still got the legs, intelligence and the experience needed to win games of such magnitude. I don't know why Rooney does not realise he can no longer perform for the team and retire.

Obiorahking_

Plus, if we win Europa League, barred we won't beat the CL winners with a fully fit squad and new additions?

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
If he fields the stronger team and still fails to achieve UCL football next season he's going to be made responsible as well, so he's in a though spot in where he's going to be criticized either way but I think he made the right choice. On paper the squad field today isn't bad so the players must be responsible as well for the performances but I don't know I think winning Europa League with the remaining teams should be doable for Manchester United.

dogwithabone

The bit I don't get is if he was prioritising EL then why not just chuck the kitchen sink at Arsenal and at least end our top four hopes in glorious failure. Why not risk a bit of a thumping by giving them something to think about and at least gave a right go. What's to lose if he had already, by the looks of it, conceded the PL ?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's good to see all the support Jose is getting here, I hope these views will be sustained if we fail to win the Europa and a CL spot along with it.

I'm confident that we will win it, but by no means do I see it as a foregone conclusion, Ajax are no mugs and no doubt they will raise their game for CL spot.

Web of Bissaka

Jose took a risk, not an almighty one though.

Playing a quality defensive kid at RB who did well, and having the defense of Smalling and Jones at the centre, and Darmian at LB what choice does he have other than set up defensive tactics which the five midfielders help the defence a lot. Negative defensive tactics it may be, but the plan is still positive to counter attack with pace which we fail to do. Plus, after we concede two, bringing in three attackers means there's still intent of winning, not much choice unfortunately.

Have to consider freshness and fitness too thus the tinkering, play the perhaps most fittest and good-enough-to-do-the-job quality players. It's a good enough formation and strategy. High chance we would get a draw at most, with small chances of winning or losing. The goals are a lucky one and a defensive mistake anyway. Our defensive units did fine. Our attacks did poor.

:)So, yes it is a good calculated necessary risk.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Tbh the gameplan annoyed me, not the starting lineup. I agree Europa league is ghe priority. But this game told me one thing: even when Jose believes top four hopes are minimal he plays defensive. Why not just have a go and see what happens.

Instead it looked like he wanted a draw which wouldn't have helped us either way but I guess that way he could save his record vs wenger.

frank lee madeer..

Stop it now, it's embarrassing. Jose took zero risks, that's the real problem, make allowances all you want , but you're only fooling yourself.

We secured Europa league football months back. That should have given Jose the green light to make changes & still go all out for victories in the prem. So what if we'd have lost a few more & finished 7th ? At least we'd have put up a fight. We have already secured the booby prize of a place in next year's Europa anyway . We've had nothing to lose for months. Instead we've just cautiously tip toed into the cl also ran places like meek little mice. No fighting spirit whatsoever. Scared to try to win through fear of failure.

Hopefully we can pull off the Europa, but the pressure on us to do so has now just ramped up several notches. We now have to win it. Finals can be a coin toss, yet most of you have already chalked up the victory. I hope your right.

Ps. Not sure anyone's mentioned it , but I'll answer it anyway. Our situation was nothing like klopps last year. We were genuinely in the mix for top 4 , & we have a far deeper squad.
Jose needs to have a fecking word with himself.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Just seen Jose's post match and I am so p*ssed with this guy. Apparantly we deserved to win, and played to win. What a load of hogwash. We virtually had Mata and Miki playing as full backs there. What a tumescent display that was, similar to away at City. He then goes on to say Jones and Smalling were fantastic. The same Smalling who got caught out positionally for the second. If we dont win the Europa Jose is gonna look an even bigger t*at than today's interview
He's only saying what is expected of him.

Son Of Sam

Stop it now, it's embarrassing. Jose took zero risks, that's the real problem, make allowances all you want , but you're only fooling yourself.

We secured Europa league football months back. That should have given Jose the green light to make changes & still go all out for victories in the prem. So what if we'd have lost a few more & finished 7th ? At least we'd have put up a fight. We have already secured the booby prize of a place in next year's Europa anyway . We've had nothing to lose for months. Instead we've just cautiously tip toed into the cl also ran places like meek little mice. No fighting spirit whatsoever. Scared to try to win through fear of failure.

Hopefully we can pull off the Europa, but the pressure on us to do so has now just ramped up several notches. We now have to win it. Finals can be a coin toss, yet most of you have already chalked up the victory. I hope your right.

Ps. Not sure anyone's mentioned it , but I'll answer it anyway. Our situation was nothing like klopps last year. We were genuinely in the mix for top 4 , & we have a far deeper squad.
You don't seem to see the dilemma Jose is in. Every time he's set up his team to fight for it, the players cop a long-term injury.

He cannot afford to lose players now that the finish line is in sight. So he set the team in such a way to defend deep, soak the pressure & rely on a break to score.

If the goals don't come...sit deep and get a draw. Which means less running around and decreasing the likelihood of a long term injury. His hands are tied & prioritising Europa is the only option he's left with.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

While I understand the sentiment behind your post, you do seem to be ignoring the a key aspect that has put us in this situation in the first place, namely a wildly unpredictable injury list to key members of the squad. There was a point in time where we literally had no CB's with which to call upon. Jose was forced to decide between the Europa and the CL and I think he made the right choice.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Never seen Ferguson making up excuses like these. Fair play to Jose.. managed to take the blame away from himself yet again. The comment reminds me of the time he said you would lose to Boro, only for you to win. For what it's worth, every player United played today has probably beaten us at least once (some of them many times) with the obvious exception of the kid.

Ixion

The truth is we bottled top 4 with results like the 1-1 last week with Swansea. We always had an insane run-in with City, Arsenal and Spurs away we had to be in the top 4 spots before those games came around and the players just couldn't deliver when they had the chance. I would rather we hadn't played so cautiously and just went for it but winning this game was always a long shot and I can't blame Jose for focusing on Thursday.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
He's gonna get some right stick if we don't win Europa now. Ajax look dangerous and Celta is far from done and dusted so I hope he knows what he is doing.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Sacking for me is not even an option.

He deserves to build his team further. If he fails to win Europa League he will only be under more pressure in the second season. And that is understandable.

C'est Moi Cantona

Perhaps.

I'd fancy the side we put out today to comfortably dispatch Celta, let alone the side we will put out.
Dangerous talk that, and I'm glad Jose isn't so complacent.

Clearly did the right thing today in the circumstances, and hopefully we reap the rewards on Thursday now.

Son Of Sam

Never seen Ferguson making up excuses like these. Fair play to Jose.. managed to take the blame away from himself yet again. The comment reminds me of the time he said you would lose to Boro, only for you to win. For what it's worth, every player United played today has probably beaten us at least once (some of them many times) with the obvious exception of the kid.
Ferguson's squads had depth. That's the difference.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
I don't know about the majority of the fans here but i felt looking at the lineup, we should have done better and it is not as if that is our 'second string' eleven.