Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lj82

Anyone else feel that we may be the club at which he loses the "defensive" tag at? We are a club that expects attacking football and a few times this year we've looked like overrunning the opposition but not actually being clinical enough.
I'm not sure that will happen.
People often buy into perceptions even when the reality is very different.
Personally, Jose has surprised me with the attacking football. But his detractors will continue to point to the Liverpool game as evidence that he is a defensive coach. In a way they are not wrong, Jose can be defensive if the circumstances warrant it. I'm fine with that though. The important thing is that throughout the season the team entertains more often than not

Reactions: Penna

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We're very close to dominating matches. Just need to find goals.
That's it.
Generally speaking with all the draws we had, the opposition GK put in a MOTM performance and after the game, the opponent will have felt lucky to get away with a point.
We need to finish our chances and if we start doing this, we'll steamroll teams. I think we won't dominate the best teams (we'll aim for a 1-0 scoreline), but our target will be to really punish lesser teams.

I have to say that last year's attackers, Mata excepted, have been woeful. Today's goals/assists were Ibra and Pogba, who Jose brought in. In our last game, the goal scorer was another Jose signing (Miki).
I have no idea what has happened to Martial, for whom it looks like the rug has been pulled out from under him.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
The after match stuff on the pitch was great, the Mou of old, loved it. The players all seemed to be together, made my day :) That, and not being back at work until 3rd Jan :)

donkeyfish

I think he's been brilliant. I like the way we play, both on and off the ball. I think he has made 4 great transfers. I think he has appealed to the fans in a good way, although I weigh that less than the play itself.

He has handled some of his players well, such as Rojo and Rooney. I also kinda like he has given all our previous players the chance to impress him.

Not all rosy of course, we've had some issues. But I'm far from convinced other candidates would've done a better job.

The United

I was worried about 2 things with him. His usual meltdowns in his later years and his defensive football.

So far we are playing with attacking intents most of the time which is a good thing. Though it is yet to see how we do in big games in a proper way.

The meltdown. Well we will have to wait and see and you hope it never happens to us for the sake of the club.

Personally, I would give him at least 2 years to prove himself.

AR87

That's it.
Generally speaking with all the draws we had, the opposition GK put in a MOTM performance and after the game, the opponent will have felt lucky to get away with a point.
We need to finish our chances and if we start doing this, we'll steamroll teams. I think we won't dominate the best teams (we'll aim for a 1-0 scoreline), but our target will be to really punish lesser teams.

I have to say that last year's attackers, Mata excepted, have been woeful. Today's goals/assists were Ibra and Pogba, who Jose brought in. In our last game, the goal scorer was another Jose signing (Miki).
I have no idea what has happened to Martial, for whom it looks like the rug has been pulled out from under him.
Re: Martial

Seems he's struggling with both how Mourinho wants to play and not being the main creative player and thus being the focus of most of our attacking play. It looks like he's most comfortable receiving the ball to feet and then running forward with it, but isn't as good at running in behind defenses or exploiting the space that Zlatan creates when he carries the ball out wide.

More than anything it's just about developing chemistry with new teammates and growing pains of a young talent. If we stuck Rashford up there and started playing sideways possession football I'm sure Martial and Rashford would look great again. This is natural in a young player's development especially when you have such a seismic shift in style of play and managerial habits. Development is almost very rarely linear. I still believe in Martial and Rashford's talent.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Eventually we'll get a smile from him and then I'll be fully convinced he's the man for the job.
Still seems miserable doesn't he? Probably just the type of guy who finds it hard to be upbeat when languishing in sixth place. Hope to see us go on a run now.

Still seems miserable doesn't he? Probably just the type of guy who finds it hard to be upbeat when languishing in sixth place. Hope to see us go on a run now.
Exactly this.

Mourinho knows he'd be right in the race if Everton, Arsenal, Stoke & Burnley had gone the way they should. You can see it hurts him, he'll smile when he's winning things again and not a moment sooner.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Unlike the last two manager's stints, i am certain that he is taking us in the right direction. Some finishing touches still to come, but the way we are dominating games, he is turning it around.

ROFLUTION

Only complaint I have is the sitting back, I find it strange that he hasn't abandoned that tactic with the amount of times it has backfired this season.

We are at our best when we harass and press, like we saw in the first half when Crystal Palace's attacks that went all the way to our box got turned into backpasses back to their own box due to our pressing and positioning.
So it backfired a few times. (Only the Fellaini incident really Springsteen to mind, tbh)
But it worked Wonders for his Chelsea sides numerous times, and look how well Conte, or Leicester last season has used this approach to gain loads of points.

I think its just about the quality of the discipline and defending really. I don't just see this as a defensive way of playing neither, because he clearly had always known how to counter attack too.

And its mostly just been in the last 5-10 minutes

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Unlike the last two manager's stints, i am certain that he is taking us in the right direction. Some finishing touches still to come, but the way we are dominating games, he is turning it around.
This is they key for me. More than results or style of play, a manager's first year should be judged on the progress he's making. And yes, while that is intrinsically linked to results and style of play, it's more than that.
Moyes had awful results and we weren't playing great either, but the thing that made me lose hope in him is we never saw any indication that he knew what his future side would look like. There was never any sense that we were on a path to something better.
With Van Gaal we would have times where it looked like everything was starting to click (usually results/performances against the bigger clubs). This gave me hope that we were heading in the right direction, but that hope would evaporate when these matches were followed by a run of dire performances. It didn't help that very few of his signings shone. In fact, it appeared that he bought a lot of them without having any idea why. There wasn't a great deal of progress made in his second season, so it became a choice of sticking with him in the hope that everything will click and those good moments would become the norm, or cutting or losses.

With Mourinho, we're playing better, more incisive and more entertaining football and the players seem more confident. It looks like he knew who he wanted to buy in the transfer market and why he wanted to buy them. There are still question marks but there's also plenty of signs that we're heading in the right direction. This is what he should be judged on this year, rather than getting Top 4.

Crashoutcassius

Honestly I worried about the chance of ultra defensive football all season but we look the best we have since Fergie going forward. Only problem for me is the sittting v=back when 1-0 up but don't know if it's him or the players. Also he's smart enough to adjust that anyway!
It's him, he is very very famous for closing out games

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Best football in 3 years, starting to get that winning mentality back into the team, has created a siege mentality with refs, the media and opposition fans alike.

He is the perfect fit for us, and slowly but surely we're going to be back where we belong. Top man.
It's almost like everyone saw this years ago.

Don't want to derail, but the Moyes debacle still gets to me.

Bwuk

We seem to finally be clicking. Shame Mkhitaryan is out injured, as think he's one of our big game changers.

I think we will definitely finish in the top 4, which has to be the aim for this season now.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I was never sceptical about Jose. IMO he should've taken directly from SAF and then built another dynasty.
Unfortunately we had to faff around with Moyes and when he was fired, LVG was the most suitable manager available.
We got there in the end, but it wasted 3 years.
And the title that Jose won for CFC, 2 years back - that should've been our title :(

Trizy

Always wanted him to replace Fergie. Delighted he's our manager, best in the world imo.

wolvored

Another 2 transfer windows and better players coming in there will be no need to park the bus. Read on newsnow that Griezmann is coming in the summer.

TakeMeHome

TakeMeHome
fecking love this guy. Always liked him and was over the moon when we finally got him. Like most of you already mentioned, we are playing some great football and going to see United is fun again. All 4 of his signings have been top so far and have impressed. Cannot wait until he gets rid of the deadwood and has his own team...

Stacks

Have to say I was very sceptical of having Jose as manager despite his obvious record. However it's safe to say I'm really shining to him. A few decisions I don't agree with but we're slowly but surely starting feel like United again. Fair play!
Put this in the "some praise for Jose thread"

The_Order

I was worried at the start when he kept insisting on that insane and mind-boggling Fellaini - Pogba midfield partnership

So very happy that experiement failed, to our cost mind you.

DevilRed

I was worried at the start when he kept insisting on that insane and mind-boggling Fellaini - Pogba midfield partnership

So very happy that experiement failed, to our cost mind you.
I hope Fellaini never sees the pitch again. Im not going to be pleased if Jose decides to throw him on in the 85th minute again..

binary bot
Sunderland and Middlesborough at home to take us to the halfway point. If we win those we're in a great position considering how it looked post Everton.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Our off the ball game is absolutely stellar under Jose, there is not a single angle and option not being immediately blocked or closed down.

How many time have we seen the opposition get nearly to our penalty box, only to be pressed and forced back to their own half and resort to doing passes between their own back four?

Love this part of Jose's game.

jem

What are you on about?
Good question. I appear to have completely lost the grammar/word order plot there. Let me try again: Do you imagine this kind of thread will stop due to your vigilante posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.