Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.

R'hllor

R'hllor and Kevin were absolute certainties to appear here tonight.
Thats bull,just saying how it is,never said that he should be sacked or something like that,quite opposite if you really follow my posts regarding JM.

Edit: Oh and when/if really push comes to tough times,bet gonna show more support towards him then you.

Kag

We're absolutely shocking going forward and Mourinho is partly responsible. The standard of football this calendar year has bordered on brutal, in truth.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Our football is tumescent and negative though.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Also just add, overall the football has been much much better under Jose than LVG. Last season was a chore going to OT and the football was dire. This season its been fun again, weve been playing better, and creating chances. The big problem is of course the conversion rate of our strikers (which I dont think many of us on here would have expected)

The football today wasnt great but again, in the first half we were decent without taking our chances. But we dominated and it was against a team that at times had all 11 men in their own box.
Second half the flow of our football changed once Pogba went off. The quick pass forward was pretty much out and it became about navigating through tonights tie more than the actual performance.
After what we saw with City and Pep last night, progress > performance was always going to be the case.

We tried to play penetrative up-tempo football all night long, but there is only so much you can do vs 9 defenders.

Even then, I was nowhere close to falling asleep tonight, as I was many times under LVG.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Also just add, overall the football has been much much better under Jose than LVG. Last season was a chore going to OT and the football was dire. This season its been fun again, weve been playing better, and creating chances. The big problem is of course the conversion rate of our strikers (which I dont think many of us on here would have expected)

The football today wasnt great but again, in the first half we were decent without taking our chances. But we dominated and it was against a team that at times had all 11 men in their own box.
Second half the flow of our football changed once Pogba went off. The quick pass forward was pretty much out and it became about navigating through tonights tie more than the actual performance.
After what we saw with City and Pep last night, progress > performance was always going to be the case.

We tried to play penetrative up-tempo football all night long, but there is only so much you can do vs 9 defenders.

Even then, I was nowhere close to falling asleep tonight, as I was many times under LVG.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I just don't see it as good management. What if Romero doesn't get to that free kick. What if one of the three other clear goal scoring opportunities they had leading up to that free kick had deflected in?

Then all the arguments about managing fatigue go out the window.

Rashford or Lingard are well capable of playing 20 minutes tonight and being grand for Sunday. We needed lads out there who could run at defenders because every time we ran at them today we had them on toast.

The best way to manage that game out tonight was to score a second goal. How many times have we gone ahead this year, stepped off the gas and been punished for it? How many times does it need to happen before we learn?
He explained that he was saving Rashford for potential extra time. No point weakening our defences in normal time while we were winning.

I agreed with him on that - it made perfect sense.

diarm

It was one good save, if the first shot or freekick went in then the keeper should be sacked.
We also hit the post twice, if 2/3 of their chances were half chances then it really isnt that bad
Definitely. I'm not saying they had great chances, just that in football you are always in danger of conceding a dodgy goal. A one goal lead is never safe and we've been bitten so many times this year we should know that by now.

diarm

We had 2 subs cause of 2 injuries. He had to think about the 3rd sub, what to do with it, not just make it quickly.
That's a fair point. He didn't make any sub in the end but i guess he was protecting against a third injury.

Art

Art the artist
Jose needs to trust his squad. Simple as. Not just his starting XI. Carrick, Martial, Shaw, Lingard, Rashford all need to feature on Sunday to avoid accumulation of fatigue.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I fear for us going forward. This team looks absolutely shattered.

diarm

He explained that he was saving Rashford for potential extra time. No point weakening our defences in normal time while we were winning.

I agreed with him on that - it made perfect sense.
How does Rashford for Mata, Mkhitaryan or Zlatan weaken our defences? I'm not suggesting he took off Rojo or Bailly.

The saving the third sub to cover another injury is a better defence. But it's still all too conservative and cowardly for me. It's all well and good saying we aren't ruthless enough on the pitch, but that mentality starts at the top.

wolvored

I just don't see the logic behind the way he played out that second half?

I get trying to see out a game, I get being safe and conservative even if I don't enjoy it.

What I don't get is gambling everything on not conceding a single goal. Romero doesn't pull off a cracking save at the end and we're going into another 30 minutes of football which is the last thing we need.

A dodgy deflection, a missed offside or an individual error can all lead to a jammy goal and it's happened to us so often this season you think we'd learn to expect it.

They had to attack after we scored so why not put Rashford on? He's the one player there who could have exploited the space left behind and it's not like a fresh Rashford would offer any less defensively than a tiring Mata, Mkhey or Zlatan.

I get the logic of maintaing possession and picking the safe pass. But what in Gods name is the point of playing safe backwards pass after safe backwards pass until you get back to the keeper or centre back who just lumps possession up the field aimlessly?
This was vg tactics which he said he would stamp out. Now I dont know if its his instructions or the players who havent the skill or stamina to move it forward for 90 mins. This will be the big test next season after he can rejuvenate the squad with transfers in.

diarm

This was vg tactics which he said he would stamp out. Now I dont know if its his instructions or the players who havent the skill or stamina to move it forward for 90 mins. This will be the big test next season after he can rejuvenate the squad with transfers in.
I'm a big fan of Herrera but every single time he got the ball today he turned backwards. Every single time.

There was one stage, midway through the second half when he was in oceans of space with attackers well placed ahead of him and he turned back actually towards Rostov players.

I threw my head into my hands so hard I accidentally poked myself in the eye. It's probably the reason I'm so upset now!

Last edited:

Ban

I'm a big fan of Herrera but every single time he got the ball today he turned backwards. Every single time.

There was one stage, midway through the second half when he was in oceans of space with attackers well placed ahead of him and he turned back actually towards Rostov players.

I through my head into my hands so hard I accidentally poked myself in the eye. It's probably the reason I'm so upset now!
True about Ander but I don't think generally we played so much backward passes today. Maybe I saw it differently. Even at 1:0 and 5 minutes till the end we went forward.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Jose needs to trust his squad. Simple as. Not just his starting XI. Carrick, Martial, Shaw, Lingard, Rashford all need to feature on Sunday to avoid accumulation of fatigue.
Martial and Rooney injuries and Shaw mental issues are limiting him right now.

Ban

He needs to rotate more. not sure why he doesn't.
I think he rotates as much as he can.
CBs are rotated a lot, vs Chelsea we had Darmian on LWB, today Blind. Valencia got some rest too. Rashford comes and goes out of the team. So does Mata. We don't rotate as much in midfield cause the options are not great.

Dobbs

He went full José tonight. Four centre backs at home against Rostov. Followed by conspiracy theory interview.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think he has. With the exception of Zlatan and Pogba, everyone else has been rotated.
I think he rotates as much as he can.
CBs are rotated a lot, vs Chelsea we had Darmian on LWB, today Blind. Valencia got some rest too. Rashford comes and goes out of the team. So does Mata. We don't rotate as much in midfield cause the options are not great.
Yeah, we're just unlucky that we have so many games right now.

Just makes one appreciate SAFs achievements in 1999 and 2008 (we got to FA semi) even more.

Ban

Yeah, we're just unlucky that we have so many games right now.

Just makes one appreciate SAFs achievements in 1999 and 2008 (we got to FA semi) even more.
International brake will give our players some rest. Hopefully nobody will play for their country. :D

Kag

And how many goals have we scored this season? A 'chance' is a fairly vague term. People on here are still claiming that we miss lots of chances even though we've been creating more or less naff all for the best part of three months.

We were creating chances comfortably earlier in the season, but our football has been poor since the turn of the year and any continuation of this will lead to a horrible end to the season.

wolvored

I threw my head into my hands so hard I accidentally poked myself in the eye. It's probably the reason I'm so upset now!
Jones did it a lot as well. We also had the slow build up creep in passing it half a dozen times between the midfield and defence. Hope eyes ok.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
And how many goals have we scored this season? A 'chance' is a fairly vague term. People on here are still claiming that we miss lots of chances even though we've been creating more or less naff all for the best part of three months.

We were creating chances comfortably earlier in the season, but our football has been poor since the turn of the year and any continuation of this will lead to a horrible end to the season.
You specifically wrote 'shocking going forwards'. That is blatantly incorrect.

We have been shocking in our finishing, thats true, but a lot of our actual football has been fantastic.

Dobbs

We play on Sunday at 12.
Why not later?
He did have some fair points.
Yeah I suppose we could play later in the day but would four hours make much of a difference? Not sure it warranted a moan even if I did still kind of like it.

He's a manager with a huge squad who doesn't like rotation but complains about fatigue. I can understand why fans of other clubs have little sympathy.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Big Chances

A situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score usually in a one-on-one scenario or from very close range.

- See more at: http://optasports.com/news-area/blog-optas-event-
definitions/mbNewsContentTemplate#sthash.B9mDryGb.dpuf

Squawka get their stats from opta.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Mourinho was far too negative tonight, it was unnecessary. I know we played a lot of games and that we didn't need to score, but that was a total bore. The Jones sub is one of the baffling things ever. Why didn't Young come on? Why didn't Rojo move to the left? He even wanted to take off Mata. Just feels like Mourinho makes it up as he goes sometimes. We showed Rostov far too much respect, they're not a good attacking side.

I'm a bit worried that we're not processing as I thought we would. Hopefully something clicks and we kick on again, we have to win the Europa League, our season relies on that if we miss out on top four, which looks very likely at this stage.

Kag

You specifically wrote 'shocking going forwards'. That is blatantly incorrect.

We have been shocking in our finishing, thats true, but a lot of our actual football has been fantastic.
Shite, shocking, call it what you want.

If you think we've been fantastic then our standards have dropped significantly. This calendar year has been piss poor. We drew at home to Hull and Bournemouth and were lucky to scrape a point against Stoke. We fudged our way through a terrible cup final performance. We've been crap in more or less every Europa game and have now stumbled upon some half-baked formation that doesn't even look close to working for us.

We're not creating particularly great chances and we've scored one less league goal than Bournemouth and 21 less league goals than Liverpool. Yet we've been fantastic? Bloody hell...

Look, many of us are desperate for Mourinho to get it right and I understand that, but people are just avoiding the obvious and choosing to ignore the flaws, in my opinion. And there is a lot more to solve than simply buying Antoine Greizemann to bury the whole host of glorious chances we actually haven't been creating.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football

If you think we've been fantastic then our standards have dropped significantly. This calendar year has been piss poor. We drew at home to Hull and Bournemouth and were lucky to scrape a point against Stoke. We fudged our way through a terrible cup final performance. We've been crap in more or less every Europa game and have now stumbled upon some half-baked formation that doesn't even look close to working for us.

We're not creating particularly great chances and we've scored one less league goal than Bournemouth and 21 less league goals than Liverpool. Yet we've been fantastic? Bloody hell...

Look, many of us are desperate for Mourinho to get it right and I understand that, but people are just avoiding the obvious and choosing to ignore the flaws, in my opinion. And there is a lot more to solve than simply buying Antoine Greizemann to bury the whole host of glorious chances we actually haven't been creating.
Scintilllating post. Nothing more to add, I am bookmarking this stuff. He still has to prove last season was a one-off. So far he has failed to do that and thus I question the blind belief in this man.

Ban

Crap in every Europa game? No, not really.
Anyway I think tiredness is getting to us. We're not creating so many chances as before but for instance vs Bournemouth we had loads of them. It isn't fantastic but the qurstion is are we progressing or not. Generally. We can have a dip in form of course and we haven't been great but generally I think we're still on a right path. Of course buying Griezmann won't solve everything but we'll have a busy summer and basics will be sorted.

Dobbs

Some of the football has been to be fair. Our big problem is consistency. You get games where we create loads but we're just as likely to produce tonight's performance or as you say the cup final.

Kag

Crap in every Europa game? No, not really.
Anyway I think tiredness is getting to us. We're not creating so many chances as before but for instance vs Bournemouth we had loads of them. It isn't fantastic but the qurstion is are we progressing or not. Generally. We can have a dip in form of course and we haven't been great but generally I think we're still on a right path. Of course buying Griezmann won't solve everything but we'll have a busy summer and basics will be sorted.
Well, we have. The first leg against St. Ettiene should have seen us a couple down in the first half alone. I can't really look to blame tiredness when I can't think of a single game we've played particularly great in since the turn of the year. I thought we were good up until Christmas, but recently we've fallen off a cliff in performance terms.

Kag

Some of the football has been to be fair. Our big problem is consistency. You get games where we create loads but we're just as likely to produce tonight's performance or as you say the cup final.
When have we been fantastic in 2017? I feel as if I'm being controversial, but when you actually think about it, we've been quite regularly shite.

Minimalist

Felt the same when I read that nonsense. Playing fantastic stuff? Pull the other one - I have fecking eyes and a brain, don't insult me.

Status
Not open for further replies.