Juan Mata | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He'd been prolific at Chelsea, goals are a part of his game.
I only watched the game last night and didn't actually think his all round game was as good as the hype he was getting on here (and from Giggs) His movement in the box was brilliant though. A really natural goal-scorer. Says a lot that he's nipping in ahead of a predator like Hernandez.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It's actually very shocking that our midfielders haven't been scoring for a few years now. Fergie always used to say how over the years we had goals coming from all the team and especially from midfield but then didn't sign a midfielder for ages :lol:

I blame Moyes (@nahealai just kidding, before I get an essay what Moyes has to do with it)

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
It's actually very shocking that our midfielders haven't been scoring for a few years now. Fergie always used to say how over the years we had goals coming from all the team and especially from midfield but then didn't sign a midfielder for ages :lol:

I blame Moyes (@nahealai just kidding, before I get an essay what Moyes has to do with it)
What's even more shocking to me is that Mata also scored more than any of our wingers, I mean Carrick and Fletcher have other qualities, but Nani, Valencia, Young, Adnan and Kagawa have scored a grand total of 8 league goals between them this year. 4 of which are Adnans.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
What's even more shocking to me is that Mata also scored more than any of our wingers, I mean Carrick and Fletcher have other qualities, but Nani, Valencia, Young, Adnan and Kagawa have scored a grand total of 8 league goals between them this year. 4 of which are Adnans.
Absolutely! I think when Fergie said "goals from the whole team/midfield" he meant wingers as well (Becks, Giggs and Ronaldo regularly scored important goals).

Brightonian

I mean basically the team has been playing badly and struggling to score. And that affects every position from which you would normally expect goals. The strikers haven't got as many as last season either.

In a team playing well, the likes of Kagawa and Januzaj will definitely score goals. We don't have to worry about that. The midfield has a more serious problem, because even during good seasons recently they haven't contributed many goals. But ultimately we want to focus above all else on playing better, more effective football as a team, rather than trying to fill quotas for 'how many goals the midfielders should score' etc. We need to buy better midfielders firstly to improve our football, and only secondly to try and improve the number of goals we get from midfield.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
I love this fella, anyone seen his twitter this morning? :lol: He has a pair of boots to give away.

So instead of going the boring conventional route he has done this!

First one to get them wins! He is just too damn cool for words :lol:

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Think it is an Adidas thing, Ramsey did the same the other week outside our stadium

LR7

As he wasn't in the last squad I didn't think he'd be in this one. Glad he is and I hope he goes to Rio. Looks like it was between him and Isco.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Not sure if he'll be in the 23 though. Though his form has still been decent really.

XdanielredX

Man Utd's Louis Van Gaal ready to part with Juan Mata as Barcelona line up £40m bid
JUAN MATA could be one of the first victims of Louis Van Gaal's new Manchester United regime as Barcelona line up a big-money move.

Reports in Spanish paper AS claim that the Catalan giants are ready to pounce for the former Chelsea star as they look to rebuild their side under new boss Luis Enrique.

A bid of £40million has been mooted for a player who only arrived at Old Trafford in January, and Dutchman Van Gaal, who is famous for his single-minded approach, is ready to listen to serious offers as he evaluates his new squad.

The ex-Bayern Munich chief prefers to play with one playmaker behind the main striker, and with Wayne Rooney his obvious choice behind Robin Van Persie in attack, Mata could be sacrificed to raise funds for pacy, direct wide-men.

United have been linked with a number of names including Borussia Dortmund's Marco Reus and Liverpool target Yevhen Konoplyanka, and Van Gaal will sanction a move if he feels it benefits the club in the long-term.

Mata has made some good performances since joining the Red Devils from Chelsea for £38million five months ago, and the Spaniard admits although he hasn't set the world alight during his brief time in Manchester, he has no regrets about leaving Jose Mourinho's men.

"I don't think about that. I do not regret anything in that sense," he explained.

"The first six months of the season were difficult because I did not play as much as I would have liked. But I always respected my team-mates, tried to make the most of the opportunities I had and nothing more.

"In the end there was the opportunity to go to Manchester United, a great offer, and the club also understood that it was a good choice. So the transfer happened."

Sell Mata, buy Konoplyanka... eh

bhuvan_chris_23

Not sure if Mata can play for any other club till January. Isn't there some sort of rule that a player cannot play for more than 2 clubs in the space of one year?

Even if it were not, would make no sense to even consider selling him. He's untouchable in terms of quality at the club.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
It's a completely nonsense article based on nothing except for ideas on LvG's preferred formation. But even then, it says that Rooney is the obvious choice behind RvP. Why? What indication has van Gaal given that that's what he plans to do.

The only quotes in the article are from Mata about 2 or 3 months ago. Complete rubbish and I wouldn't worry a jot about it.

Kostur

海尔的老板
It's a completely nonsense article based on nothing except for ideas on LvG's preferred formation. But even then, it says that Rooney is the obvious choice behind RvP. Why? What indication has van Gaal given that that's what he plans to do.

The only quotes in the article are from Mata about 2 or 3 months ago. Complete rubbish and I wouldn't worry a jot about it.
Exactly this.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Swap for Sanchez, Fabregas and Messi and I'd think about it as long as we get custody on weekends.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Even so, Mata can fit perfectly as a play maker using a 3 in the middle formation which allows Mata to push forward. Total nonsense, Mata loves being here especially with De Gea also being here.

Nozzy

Even so, Mata can fit perfectly as a play maker using a 3 in the middle formation which allows Mata to push forward. Total nonsense, Mata loves being here especially with De Gea also being here.
So a Spaniard would rather live & play in Manchester, as opposed to Barcelona - OK

goldenstatesplash

If we were to get more than what we paid then I wouldn't be all that disappointed. But he seems to know about the 'United way' and has become a bit of a fans favourite it seems. Especially in the aftermath of the spunk cleanup when we signed him.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
So a Spaniard would rather live & play in Manchester, as opposed to Barcelona - OK
Yes, we can offer more money than Spanish clubs. Seeing Mata go would devastate me, I'd rather us not sign any players and keep Mata. Him, Januzaj and De Gea are my favorite Manchester United players.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We would be mugs to even consider it and disloyal. The players happy and if we sold him suddenly De Gea loses his best mate. It would be incredibly foolish so I doubt it would happen. It's hard enough trying to sign worldclass a the minute let alone giving them away like that.

psychdelicblues

It's the Express so it's almost certainly bullshit.

The ex-Bayern Munich chief prefers to play with one playmaker behind the main striker, and with Wayne Rooney his obvious choice behind Robin Van Persie in attack, Mata could be sacrificed to raise funds for pacy, direct wide-men
Yep bullshit.

Last edited:

LR7

The assumption is that Rooney is the obvious number 10 but I think Mata could make that role his own.

He's one of our best players and I think he will be suited to the style of football we associate with van Gaal's teams more than Moyes'.

NMF

Where does everyone expect Mata to play under Van Gaal? Assuming he goes 4-3-3 will he play the furthest forward midfielder, or out wide in a Silva like role?

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Not sure if Mata can play for any other club till January. Isn't there some sort of rule that a player cannot play for more than 2 clubs in the space of one year?

Even if it were not, would make no sense to even consider selling him. He's untouchable in terms of quality at the club.
I think that because the rule runs from 1st of July until 30th of June, means in that period he can't play for more than two clubs. I think come 30th of June he is free to sign for who he wants. I could be wrong though. How do you interpret it?
Players may be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the period from 1 July until 30 June of the following year. During this period, the player is only eligible to play in Official Matches for two clubs.

ThanksBoss26

Complete garbage. The kind of rubbish newspapers tend to come up with at this time of year. Only a few days ago, another paper printed Mata was one of the four players in our squad that van Gaal rates.

There's no way we'll get rid of our record signing after six months. It's not as if he hasn't contributed. I hope the attack is built around him this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.