Juan Mata | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

Selling for 3m more after spending millions in salary is not a profit. I am amazed people believe any random news coming out of transfer gossip in summer.
So on that basis we should never sell Rooney as he's earned too much & we'd not get our funds back?

If Mata isn't in Van Gaal' vision for his team then he'll be sold. He doesn't fit into a speedy tricky winger role nor will he displace Rooney, so there's bound to be speculation.
At the end of the day we need a manager will will be ruthless getting the team he wants & a team that works as a unit. Van Gaal will make unpopular decisions & very probably he'll be 109% correct. All of the current squad are not Van Gaal' signings so they all need to hope he wants to keep them.

Annahnomoss

So on that basis we should never sell Rooney as he's earned too much & we'd not get our funds back?

If Mata isn't in Van Gaal' vision for his team then he'll be sold. He doesn't fit into a speedy tricky winger role nor will he displace Rooney, so there's bound to be speculation.
At the end of the day we need a manager will will be ruthless getting the team he wants & a team that works as a unit. Van Gaal will make unpopular decisions & very probably he'll be 109% correct. All of the current squad are not Van Gaal' signings so they all need to hope he wants to keep them.
Don't think you should make it a fact that he won't displace Rooney. I am sure there are plenty people thinking Mata is a better player for the team than Rooney in the number 10 role and me included.

I can see why LVG would choose either one, Rooney if we already dominate possession against even the top teams thanks to a CM pairing of the highest quality. Mata if our CM's alone can't assure that we dominate possession.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

About Rooney, it was one of the reason that we didn't even pay attention to offer of 20m even with only 2 years left, we can't let go a very good player for loss. That and domestic rivals will have to offer something very very special to take our players whom we don't want to sell. Also, what will be LvG's fall back option if RvP and/or Rooney get injured? Kagawa only who has questionable track record in United shirt till now? Though we are not playing in Europe, we need 2 good players in important positions to have a good season, get back to top 4 and then challenge on European front as well in following season where again we will need depth in squad.
40m price is out of question to prize him away, it will have to be at least 10m more to even consider and Barca don't need to spend 40m on him when defense is their biggest priority and they are more than well stacked in his position. Anyone with half a brain will understand it. Only far fetched chance is swap with Cesc and I don't see it happening too.

Backrow Singer

Selling him 6 months after we bought him for a record fee and given he's one of few WC players we have, would be absolute madness.
Agreed, wouldn't read too much into it anyway.

As far as I'm concerned, he's a top player and one that we need to keep at the club. All well and good saying that he's behind Rooney in the pecking order or whatever else, but it's a long season. Players will come in and out of form and I don't think too many will question his ability.

As I say though, don't see anything in it personally. He's a quality player and as obvious as it sounds, you can't have too many of those.

Crashoutcassius

I don't believe the story at all but as mentioned, this is what you get with Van Gaal, and if it did happen we have to try to trust him and get behind the man.

gaucho_10

The assumption is that Rooney is the obvious number 10 but I think Mata could make that role his own.

He's one of our best players and I think he will be suited to the style of football we associate with van Gaal's teams more than Moyes'.

I think Mata should be your pick for nr 10 (unless he has a shit preseason). Even if you play 3 man midfield, Mata can play the attacking role. Rooney seems wasted out wide, he can rotate with both Mata nad RVP.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Hoping it's just typical trashy reporting. I really like Mata. Not just as a player, but he comes across as a genuinely nice person.

Ibi Dreams

You all wanted LVG so you'd better be ready that he may ship out popular players
I don't see why really. We only have a few universally popular players, and they're popular because they have earned that via great performances. Perhaps that excludes Mata, but considering his pedigree and the fact that he has only been with us since January, AND has already shown his worth in that time I can't imagine he's at risk. By all reports Van Gaal isn't afraid to drop anybody, but he's a smart manager and I can't see why he'd exile or sell the players that have actually done well

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Not the best of outfits today, he should stick to suits!

Fabregas however :drool:

And De Gea (and others):

Zak Smith

How many of you would swap Mata for Fabregas, stick with Rooney and RvP and spend the excess money bringing in a top class winger? Along with the necessary defensive acquisitions of course.

Ibi Dreams

How many of you would swap Mata for Fabregas, stick with Rooney and RvP and spend the excess money bringing in a top class winger? Along with the necessary defensive acquisitions of course.
I wouldn't. As good as Fabregas is I'm not convinced he's really the midfielder we need, he hasn't played in the deeper role we'd want him to for absolutely ages and some people say it's honestly not his position anymore.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
What does Fabregas offer that Mata cannot? And why is it that we're on a "underrate-your-star-players" spree on here? Juan Mata is one of the biggest assets we have on our squad, and he is someone we should hold on to for dear life.

ShinjiNinja26

I can't see us selling him myself, like people have already said we only signed him 6 months ago for a club record fee and he's done well since joining by bagging himself a 6 goals and a few assists. It's not as if he's been a flop, he's a world class player who's PL proven, if he was to be sold it would be one of the most retarded decisions the club has made, and they've made a lot of those recently. Not to mention it would be extremely harsh and disrespectful to Juan who comes across as a very nice and humble individual.

ThanksBoss26

Why would he need to sell Mata though to bring in Schweinsteiger?? When we're supposed to have this £150m "warchest" available to spend.
Absolutely right. It looks like the Express have gone with the story today. That paper is fast becoming the lowest of the low in terms of reporting absolute rubbish.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no way we're selling Mata.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What does Fabregas offer that Mata cannot? And why is it that we're on a "underrate-your-star-players" spree on here? Juan Mata is one of the biggest assets we have on our squad, and he is someone we should hold on to for dear life.
Fabregas can play as a CM at the top level, Mata is a no10 (floating playmaker) Fab is a complete central midfielder.
I would rather we had both in the team though of course.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Fabregas can play as a CM at the top level, Mata is a no10 (floating playmaker) Fab is a complete central midfielder.
I would rather we had both in the team though of course.
I don't think playing CM for Barca and Spain is proof that he's a 'complete CM'. Fabregas is more of the man behind the striker who can play a deeper role when required. And it'll be a different ball game when there aren't Busquets and Alonsos or Vieras covering up behind him. We need someone who is a central midfielder through and through - the Vidal type. We've had enough unsatisfactory hybrids in our midfield, no point selling our best AM for another one.

Cassidy

I don't think playing CM for Barca and Spain is proof that he's a 'complete CM'. Fabregas is more of the man behind the striker who can play a deeper role when required. And it'll be a different ball game when there aren't Busquets and Alonsos covering up behind him. We need someone who is a central midfielder through and through - the Vidal type. We've had enough unsatisfactory hybrids in our midfield, no point selling our best AM for another one.
So you don't remember him playing for Arsenal then? He was a CM before he went to Barca and many recognise he is being played out of position due to Xavi being in the team. Fab is a CM who is also good at playing as an ACM. He played as a CM in the EPL from the age of 17 and never looked out of place once.

Bojan11

Why do we wanna swap one of our best players? I don't get some people.

Our team is lacking world class talent and you want to swap the ones we got. When we should be adding to it.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
So you don't remember him playing for Arsenal then? He was a CM before he went to Barca and many recognise he is being played out of position due to Xavi being in the team. Fab is a CM who is also good at playing as an ACM.
My point is - he is too attack minded. Even at Arsenal, he Vieira, Diaby, Song, Denilson or someone (I don't remember any more names) playing deeper behind him. We need these 'deeper' guys now, not the likes of Fabregas. And Mata is simply too important for this club to be just swapped off for someone who hasn't spent the last few years playing in the role we want him to play.

Cassidy

My point is - he is too attack minded. Even at Arsenal, he Vieira, Diaby, Song, Denilson or someone (I don't remember any more names) playing deeper behind him. We need these 'deeper' guys now, not the likes of Fabregas. And Mata is simply too important for this club to be just swapped off for someone who hasn't spent the last few years playing in the role we want him to play.
Your remembering more his days at Arsenal when Adebayor left and RVP was moved up top, and so Fab took up RVPs role as the creative midfielder.
I think we need both, infact Jones can play the holding role. We are so missing players who take risks from CM and play the ball forward into the Strikers feet, and in behind defences, or even just be composed and keep the ball or run at defenders and relief a bit of pressure.
I agree we need a holding type CM however we also need a creative one too.

GloryHunter07

Hopefully next year he doesnt have to star in any more X-men films and can concentrate on his footy.

JSMHE

I would. Mata is class but Fabregas is a centre midfield which what we need more than Mata.

El-Manos

Van Gaal is not going to ship out one of our best and most technical gifted players. The fans love him and he knows it.

JSMHE

You're joking me? Mata is ours, Barca can feck off
You are taking this too seriously. It's not like people need to have same answer or opinion for a question. It's an answer of question "How many of you would swap Mata for Fabregas"
In our current situation I would do that if we can sign a world class centre midfield by swap one of our no 10 role. I rather play Kagawa/Fabregas in midfield than Mata/Cleverley.

El-Manos

You are taking this too seriously. It's not like people need to have same answer or opinion for a question. It's an answer of question "How many of you would swap Mata for Fabregas"
In our current situation I would do that if we can sign a world class centre midfield by swap one of our no 10 role. I rather play Kagawa/Fabregas in midfield than Mata/Cleverley.
I am not taking anything too seriously, I am debating and sharing my opinion that's what this forum is for is it not? To share opinions and debate about football and Manchester United or have I been deceived into thinking this for the last 4 years? In regards to my opinion, this isn't Fifa where you just swap players because you are in more need of a certain position and hope it works out. There is no guarantee Fabregas would succeed here, while Mata has been Chelsea's best player over the last two seasons in the premier league and has certainly had a good impact since coming here, showing pure class on occasions and will only get better under a proper manager which we most likely possess now. Mata is world class and one of the best in his position, I can safely say the majority would not swap Mata for Fabregas, if Fabregas comes great but if it's at the cost of losing Mata, feck no and I think most of the CAF share that opinion.

JSMHE

I am not taking anything too seriously, I am debating and sharing my opinion that's what this forum is for is it not? To share opinions and debate about football and Manchester United or have I been deceived into thinking this for the last 4 years?
You are taking this too seriously man. Look! There is no point debating of this. @Zak Smith would like to know how many of us would swap Mata for Fabregas. I'm on the list of "yes" and you are the list of "no". Just because I said yes that doesn't mean you can disagree it.

In regards to my opinion, this isn't Fifa where you just swap players because you are in more need of a certain position and hope it works out.
It's a similar with a rhetorical question because everyone know this is unlikely will happen. It's like asking would you like to spend some of your money just to have a sex with Ronaldo girlfriend. I know it won't happen but I would answer "yes" even it's not going to happen. If someone ask would you like to swap Ronaldo for Mata. I know it's not going to happen but my answer is still the same "yes" I would do it. This is not about if this is going to happen or no. You are really taking this too seriously buddy!

There is no guarantee Fabregas would succeed here, while Mata has been Chelsea's best player over the last two seasons in the premier league and has certainly had a good impact since coming here, showing pure class on occasions and will only get better under a proper manager which we most likely possess now. Mata is world class and one of the best in his position, I can safely say the majority would not swap Mata for Fabregas, if Fabregas comes great but if it's at the cost of losing Mata, feck no and I think most of the CAF share that opinion.
Fabregas had been doing great for some many years with Arsenal. If you think Mata can succeed with us then Fabregas should be in the same category because Fabregas himself knows about EPL playing style. He played in this competition for so many years and that's why Moyes went for Fabregas for safe option than Thiago. Obviously if I have to choose between option a) Mata - Cleverley - Carrick or option b) Kagawa - Fabregas - Carrick. Then it's obviously option b

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.