Juan Mata | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

NM

Can Mata be sold? He played for Chelsea in Jan didn't he? If he did, and has played for us, he can't be registered for a 3rd team in the same year. At least, that used to be a rule years ago.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Can Mata be sold? He played for Chelsea in Jan didn't he? If he did, and has played for us, he can't be registered for a 3rd team in the same year. At least, that used to be a rule years ago.
Isn't that only from the 1st July to 30th June rather than a calendar year.

MoneyMay

‘Generally speaking, and with regard to the application of the pertinent rule, ie. Article 5 Paragraph 3 of the Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players, the regulation should be applied as stated.’

This rule dictates that a player can be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season but can only play for two of them — with the sole exception of a move between clubs with overlapping seasons.

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
Wouldnt they have to pay something in the region of 40-45m considering the huge contract we gave him and how much we payed.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Not sure. Just hope we don't sell him!
Unless we are offered stupid money I don't see it. He's young and a genuine world class talent. While getting rid of him would solve our Rooney/RVP/Mata issue we are much better off keeping him out of all three and if we are ever to change how we play, he is the man it's likely to be based around.

tombombadil

I don't really see any sense in selling him. We just got him for a hefty fee and he is one of our better players. Unless it is for silly money, what's the point? May as well keep him and make the most of him. If he succeeds, all the better for him and for us. If he doesn't, then he'll just be the latest in a long line of players to flop and moved on.

Personally, I think he has the intelligence and skill to slot into a LvG team. I just hope he gets along well with LvG.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We won't sell our best player who's one of the only few top players we actually have.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It just started because of an AS article with no quotes. Maybe Luis Enrique just mentioned once / somewhere in his talks that he likes Mata, that's it! It's like us being linked with 70 players per summer without having any intention of buying most of them.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Based on what we know about LVG, I see Mara's intelligence and vision being something we build around rather than just try to force into the team. Don't expect him to get sold.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?

Richard Cranium

Is it just me who thinks Juan Mata was probably given reassurances before he joined that it was either top four or a new manager? It seems weird that he wanted to join us under Moyes.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He could do with some more weight though, his and Kagawa's is only 63 kg, according to some sites Mata's only 61 kg. Much less than orher players, even Silva and Messi manage 67 kg :lol:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Is it just me who thinks Juan Mata was probably given reassurances before he joined that it was either top four or a new manager? It seems weird that he wanted to join us under Moyes.
Possibly, but I doubt the club would tell a potential signing the implications of failure to get top 4.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Silva is slightly better, but with this spain, who lack the ability to score sometimes Mata would fit just better. Silva is an awesome player, Iniesta also, but they are not the players who often score, Mata and Fabregas are their most productive midfielders, one of them must play.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
These stories about some of our players not being physical enough makes us sound like a team of Sunday League cloggers, yet a player of Mata or Kagawa's physique would never be an issue at a team like Arsenal. Van Gaal's tactics differ from Wenger's, but not wildly. It's still based on possession and quick phases of play.

It's right that Mata wasn't suited to playing wide in a 4-4-2, but that was Moyes' fault rather than Mata. I don't think it's likely we'll play that way under LvG. He uses Sneijder as his #10 currently, and he is small and relatively lightweight. Mata will have other powerful players around him to compliment him. Not every player on the pitch has to be a 6ft+ bulldozer.

m1y2

our best no10, miles ahead of kagawa, if he plays as our no10 next season he will have at least 10+10 I am sure of it. Hopefully he´ll have a kick at WC he couldnt be worse than what weve seen from some of their players yesterday.. hes got some goals in him..

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Silva is slightly better, but with this spain, who lack the ability to score sometimes Mata would fit just better. Silva is an awesome player, Iniesta also, but they are not the players who often score, Mata and Fabregas are their most productive midfielders, one of them must play.
Yep, they need players who actually score and assist, not just player who look nice on the ball. Now, I am not saying that Silva and Iniesta just look good on the ball and that's it, but they aren't most productive players in the world, especially Iniesta, he scored just 3 goals in more than 50 apps this year. :eek:

RedStarUnited

Yep, they need players who actually score and assist, not just player who look nice on the ball. Now, I am not saying that Silva and Iniesta just look good on the ball and that's it, but they aren't most productive players in the world, especially Iniesta, he scored just 3 goals in more than 50 apps this year. :eek:
All about dominating and controlling teams, Thats Iniestas greatest asset. I do think they could potentially sacrifice one of the DMs for a Mata/fabregas to give them a better chance of scoring though.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
All about dominating and controlling teams, Thats Iniestas greatest asset. I do think they could potentially sacrifice one of the DMs for a Mata/fabregas to give them a better chance of scoring though.
I know what's Iniesta all about, but I always thought he should really improve his end product, that's one of the rare things that he lacked, altough still he was great player even without scoring too much. That's especially priblem when you have him and Silva as your "attacking" players, and striker who isn't up for the game. I agree on other part, they could drop one of Xabi/Xavi.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
i said this in another thread but what do they think of kagawa then?
I remember an article from a reliable source - maybe Ogden - that said the coaching staff do give Kagawa credit for his defensive work rate even though he hasn't lit up the attacking as he should have. My guess is they don't see that from Mata, despite his obvious impact on our attack. Hope LVG sees room for both, even if it means regular rotation.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Your talking about the guy with 20+ assists the season before? Hes not an unproductive player one bit

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Your talking about the guy with 20+ assists the season before? Hes not an unproductive player one bit
I am talking about player who scored 3 goals last season in 52 games, and when you have Silva on other side who doesn't score too much either and likes to assist more, I don't think you get great combination even though both of them are excellent players. I am mostly criticiseing him because lack of goals, you could see that from stat I posted, it would be ridiculous to say that he doesn't assist enough.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I am talking about player who scored 3 goals last season in 52 games, and when you have Silva on other side who doesn't score too much either and likes to assist more, I don't think you get great combination even though both of them are excellent players. I am mostly criticiseing him because lack of goals, you could see that from stat I posted, it would be ridiculous to say that he doesn't assist enough.
You actually said he isnt prodcutive enough. However if hes creating so many goals I would argue he is.

Gladiator

I remember an article from a reliable source - maybe Ogden - that said the coaching staff do give Kagawa credit for his defensive work rate even though he hasn't lit up the attacking as he should have. My guess is they don't see that from Mata, despite his obvious impact on our attack. Hope LVG sees room for both, even if it means regular rotation.
so this is what they mean by physicality?

Bojan11

I find that nonsense really.

If that is true then Fellaini is staying and going to be our key player. Because he is a physical presence.

pseudo_canadian

I really want van Gaal to put Mata in a position where can succeed, he's arguably our best technical player other than RvP and there's enough talent around him that he can be great for us. We all know what he's capable of, just needs to be utilized correctly.

redevil2

He could do with some more weight though, his and Kagawa's is only 63 kg, according to some sites Mata's only 61 kg. Much less than orher players, even Silva and Messi manage 67 kg :lol:
And he's obviously shorter. Sorry just checked they are of same height (5'7")

Status
Not open for further replies.