Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Just a squad player, they're good to have.
Certain players make good squad players, and I don't think Mata's one of them.
Plus we could make decent money from his sale and wages.

He's a very good player, but he has weaknesses that make it hard to accommodate him week in week out. And he's not the type of player you build a top team around.
He'll do well and score/assist goals wherever he ends up, if he goes - as I expect.

Shark

@NotShark
It's quite depressing that Kagawa and now Mata look to have completely failed here. We should just stop signing those type of players now.

Kostur

海尔的老板
It's quite depressing that Kagawa and now Mata look to have completely failed here. We should just stop signing those type of players now.
Should be: we should stop signing players that can play in Rooney's position.

This is pretty ridiculous. I'm not really convinced that midfield trio of Rooney, Fellaini and Carrick is the thing. It begs for either Mata or Herrera to be thrown in for better ball circulation. We should just drop RVP, move Rooney there and get Mata behind Rooney if we insist on that fecking 4-1-4-1 stupid formation.

It's not like either ADM or Januzaj guaranteed themselves a place in the starting XI, di Maria looked off form when on wing, Januzaj looked off form too.

Man Utd 1:0 Crystal Palace

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I think he's finished here sadly he doesn't even get a look in now. LVG just doesn't seem too fond of him.

Juve has being mentioned ALOT as a possible destination so I hope we can use him as a bargaining tool for Vidal or marchisio or something maybe even bonucci as decent CB

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
What? Against a stubborn team defending? He was there to break those teams down all the time.
Chelsea rarely had such emphasis on ball retention. Neither did they rack up these sort of possession statistics, while playing so slowly, against opposition this deep. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's not how I remember it.

Again - he had his uses at Chelsea. He scored goals and assisted goals (a good number being set pieces), but he didn't consistently demonstrate that he could do a great job in this type of game.

Mata today may have played a nice ball, but certainly would have dropped deep, played safe, and struggled to hold the ball in the key areas under pressure.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I did make a post some time back saying he should be playing wide right:angel:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Yes, get in Juan !! :D

Godfather

He's done more in 20 minutes than all of our attacking players put together did in fecking 70 today.
Was not hard though.
I still agree. No idea why Adnan is getting game time atm. Woefully out of form.
Put Mata in the team again and go with the diamond.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He looked a notch above when he came on today. Wasn't taking an age to do what he wanted.

Roboc7

Good cameo but he needs to do that when he starts and consistently, we arent good enough to have luxury squad players we need people doing it week in week out. He should start against arsenal instead of januzaj now, RVP should also be dropped for Herrera and put Rooney up front.

Hed Zitin

Chelsea rarely had such emphasis on ball retention. Neither did they rack up these sort of possession statistics, while playing so slowly, against opposition this deep. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's not how I remember it.

Again - he had his uses at Chelsea. He scored goals and assisted goals (a good number being set pieces), but he didn't consistently demonstrate that he could do a great job in this type of game.

Mata today may have played a nice ball, but certainly would have dropped deep, played safe, and struggled to hold the ball in the key areas under pressure.
Against minnows like this they definitely had the possession and had to break teams down. He was instrumental in them winning these types of games. I saw it with my own two eyes enough.

Truedevil

I thought we will revert back to the diamond once i saw he's coming on but when i realized he is playing on the right i died inside a little. Still a well taken goal and hopefully he plays against Arsenal and LvG ends this 4-3-3/Fellaini experiment.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I thought we will revert back to the diamond once i saw he's coming on but when i realized he is playing on the left i died inside a little. Still a well taken goal and hopefully he plays against Arsenal and LvG ends this 4-3-3/Fellaini experiment.
I shared your dissapointment, I thought Van Gaal was going to try and give us more bodies in the middle so there'd be angles for triangles and one-two's (one of which led to Mata's goal). Shame it didn't happen.

Glad that Mata showed his mettle today. He was one of the few willing to be positive and test the keeper and he got his reward. Showed his quality with the few chances around the box that fell to him. Still don't think he's well served playing wide right.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Shame he didn't play more like that while Rooney was suspended.

Empire

I did make a post some time back saying he should be playing wide right:angel:
I was critical of Moyes for signing and then playing him there but now I'm in agreement he should be allowed to roam from wide especially in this set up because of our dominance in possession against sides that will park the bus we won't have many counter attacking opportunities therefore his creativity could be valuable, also by dominating the ball it's not like he will have to do a lot of work defending.

Raw

Very happy for him to play well after an average few games for us. Let's just hope he continues to improve.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
He was played deeper, I think he needs to be much further up.
He was being played wider today right? Coming on to replace Januzaj. It didn't work last season, but if he could get into some form wide of a forward 3 alongside Rooney, that would be... :drool:

Devil may care

Got us the 3 points and I don't think I've seen him look angry before. Didn't do a lot else then popped up and almost got a second, enigma.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Someone like Mata deserves moments like that. Love rooting for him. Our #1 scorer in the league too. Yes he should have done more while Rooney was out but Rooney hasn't exactly been captain fantastic this season.

Empire

He was being played wider today right? Coming on to replace Januzaj. It didn't work last season, but if he could get into some form wide of a forward 3 alongside Rooney, that would be... :drool:
He was wide right and so much higher up, I don't have a clue how to use him though other than almost like a second striker but that's Louis van Gaal's problem, I'm sure he will experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.