6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil77

Mata is probably getting sick of being substituted once again.
And I think he is fully entitled to be just that. It's a shame that our most consistent attacking player gets subbed off virtually every game. Personally I lose pretty much all interest in the game once we start to bring on inferior players like Fellaini. You just know you are up for 25 minutes of hoofing.

Devil may care

Blog:
"It's been a positive week with two wins"

"As I told you here a week ago, this is what the team needs in order to get confidence and feel that the work we're doing is bearing fruit. Tottenham is a very competitive side, they had lost only once in the Premier League this season, which gives more value to our victory in Old Trafford this Sunday.

"Now we have two away games in a row so there's no time to celebrate. As from now we start working on the game against Crystal Palace, to extend the good streak. Selhurst Park is always a difficult stadium to get the three points, and the same applies to The Hawthorns. Both games will be very demanding. Crystal Palace are trying to create distance from the relegation zone, and West Brom are proving to be a solid team this season, tough to beat, but we have to keep working well to get closer to the top side of the table."

Janson

Like it or not he's just not the type of player Mourinho wants. And if we get another winger who is good enough to walk right into the first eleven, his chances will be even smaller.

Shark

@NotShark
Like it or not he's just not the type of player Mourinho wants. And if we get another winger who is good enough to walk right into the first eleven, his chances will be even smaller.
Despite Mourinho's trust in him this season, I tend to still agree. Jose wants speed and trickery from his wide men, and Mata has neither.

Janson

Disagree. We look comfortably more dangerous when we can break quickly, and with Zlatan up top, we need pacey wingers. Martial just needs to find his form.
He looks pretty far from being a starter right now. It doesn't look like he will be getting a chance to find form at the moment, considering he's not even traveled for Palace.

Janson

Despite Mourinho's trust in him this season, I tend to still agree. Jose wants speed and trickery from his wide men, and Mata has neither.
I thought we put this myth to bed :confused:
Agree with Shark. Even despite everything that has been said, I just can't see Mata as one of the must play first names on the list for the starting eleven in Mourinhos team.

Varun

Staff
Mata should be played central with Mkhi and Martial on the flanks. We dont need Carrick in most of the games we play.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Agree with Shark. Even despite everything that has been said, I just can't see Mata as one of the must play first names on the list for the starting eleven in Mourinhos team.
He's a number 10 primarily and he has 15 starts which is the third most in the team if you exclude De Gea. Mourinho even said that he is a player he wants at United and when he has played he's normally been one of our best players.

Philadelphian

He's a number 10 primarily and he has 15 starts which is the third most in the team if you exclude De Gea. Mourinho even said that he is a player he wants at United and when he has played he's normally been one of our best players.
Results just haven't happened to follow when he starts...:confused:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Martial doesnt do anything with the ball lately, it's difficult to play with someone who just doesnt use the ball effectively.
He stretches play, at least. Offers some balance with pace in the side. Especially when Pogba/Zlatan are the 'front two' in the middle.

Loublaze

ATLien
I find little evidence of this considering how he took the flair out of Oscar and Hazard's games. Hazard even complained about being restricted under Mourinho's style and it took time before he let him have more freedom of expression on the pitch. Willian is more power and pace than trickery

Unmutual

If you look at how he used Ozil at Real, or Sneijder at Inter, there's sometimes room in Mourinho's team for a player who all those fast players can pivot around. Whether Mata is that particular player is another question of course.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Been one of our best players this season. Still, why not blame him for the poor results we got whenever he played?

On a side note, I notice Oscar is moving to China. The player Mourinho (and some here) thought was rightly played ahead of Mata at Chelsea. What an awful idea that was.

Varun

Staff
Think the record with / without Carrick pretty easily counters that point.
Stats dont tell the full story. Missing Carrick wasnt the reason our attackers couldnt hit a barn door vs the likes of stoke, burnley etc. Carrick is vital to the team but his use is in controlling games and when we play a middle 3, its because we need an extra man in there. When we're created shit loads of chances vs weak opposition and yet draw the game, its because our attackers miss chances, not a lack of control in the middle of the park.

Janson

If you look at how he used Ozil at Real, or Sneijder at Inter, there's sometimes room in Mourinho's team for a player who all those fast players can pivot around. Whether Mata is that particular player is another question of course.

He has definitely been one of our best players but he doesn't fit in a 433 kind of formation. It depends if Mourinho is moving towards a 433 as the standard or if he continues to use 4231 as well.

In a 433 you have to be able to defend when playing as a winger, and Mata is not someone that can handle that. He just doesn't have the strength for it. I remember when we played Chelsea in Vilas Boas first season when Malouda (who was good defensively) was replaced by Mata. Nani just ran straight through him to score that amazing goal, Mata and Sturridge on the wings were a part of the reason for them shipping goals that year.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Results just haven't happened to follow when he starts...:confused:
I think it would be interesting to see the recird with him and on the pitch vs him not on pitch. For example, versus arsenal, we were leading by 1 goal till he was on the pi

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He stretches play, at least. Offers some balance with pace in the side. Especially when Pogba/Zlatan are the 'front two' in the middle.
Im all for pace but pace without use is just like Walcott of a few years ago, a decent RB will have an easy job with Martial's current form, although Mata and Miki as wingers might miss some width as well.

Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd

Mike09

I'm not impressed with him in first half. Or I'm just being too harsh and expecting him to be as good as Mkhytaryan against Spurs?

the hea

Play him centrally or don't play him at all. Time and time again he has shown that he isn't a wide player but still he has to play there far to often.

DarkXaero

Missed Valencia today but Mata should be playing centrally in the first place, he's so much better there. Despite all that, he should have still had the all important second goal, if the linesman wasn't completely incompetent.

NinjaFletch

If you're going to put him in a front three with Rooney and Zlatan you might as well not play him.

He needs things happening around him; he can still be productive without it (for example his 'goal' today) but he's never going to put in a great performance without runners to play in.

Status
Not open for further replies.