Juan Mata as deep-lying playmaker (DLP)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
https://fansided.com/2018/10/22/juan-mata-can-manchester-uniteds-santi-cazorla/

It's just a fan opinion, but does make some points

+ Mata anyway drops deep to play even currently (whenever he plays)
+ Pogba (and even Fred) lacks the discipline to do this and both are anyways better good going forwards.
+ Will have a player dedicated to getting the ball out of the defence. Helps CBs and quicker transitions.
+ DLPs are not really known for pace usually, so partnered with say Herrera..it may be a workable combo. He has workrate and ain't bad in defensive work.

Opinions?

Kostur

海尔的老板
One of his biggest strengths, if not the biggest, is his timing and off-ball attacking movement. We'd deprive him of it as a DLP. He doesn't really have that good passing range either, his ball retention is good, sure, but he was more of a striker/finisher than a playmaker.

So no.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'll expand on it. I actually would't mind the idea so much if we played quite a high line where our team as a unit is a lot closer.
It'd result a lot more in us defending as a team, so would give Mata defensive assistance with Pogba and Fred or whoever.

Right now, as our team is so stretched, unless Pogba and Fred really put a shift in defensively, I'd worry the lack of strength and such of Mata would leave him exposed quite a bit.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
One of his biggest strengths, if not the biggest, is his timing and off-ball attacking movement. We'd deprive him of it as a DLP. He doesn't really have that good passing range either, his ball retention is good, sure, but he was more of a striker/finisher than a playmaker.

So no.
Scholes was good in younger days, but world class when he moved deep later in his career. Mata can't do the same?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Scholes was good in younger days, but world class when he moved deep later in his career. Mata can't do the same?
Do you think he's got the same type of passing range and the ability to create space like Scholes does? I don't, I rate Mata for other reasons really but nah, the DLP role won't cut it I'm afraid. It would be like with journos asking to play Rooney deeper.

Johan07

Wtf is a DLP (yeah I know what it means)? Too much FM is being played around here.
Mourinho is using Mata on the right wing most often, but he has played in front of Matic as well a couple of times. He will never be used as anything but one of the 4 offensive players under Mourinho though.
It is completely irrelevant to compare Mata to Cazorla; not because that they are that different type of players but because United under Mourinho does not play anyhting near the system that Wengers Arsenal applied, with so much as 6 offensive players.

luke511

He has the strength and speed of an infant, massive no go from me.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I did think for a while he could go a bit deeper as a CM like Silva has for City but I just don't think he has it in him. Way too weak and doesn't use his body as well Silva does.

Walters_19_MuFc

In the right system and style of play, then maybe. I look at Fabregas, who Sarri plays as the 6, and he seems to do fine, in regards to on the ball. In a possession based side I guess you can get away with it, but definitely not under Mourinho. We sit back and invite too much pressure for that.

Silas

His press-resistance is nowhere near good enough and, although he can spray some good passes at times, I don't think his passing range is extensive enough for it to be viable.

binary bot
There's a better chance of Mourinho playing Lukaku there

His passing range isn't good enough to be a DLP. The only players with a good passing range in our team is Pogba and Pereira.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If our attacking options terrified teams into submission in the way City and Pool do, then sure. With teams relishing the chance to attack us, absolutely not.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If Pogba had the tactical awareness and discipline he could be the best deep lying playmaker in the world.

The obvious long-term option there is Pereira. Mata doesn't have the long-range whipped passes at pace, he takes his time making a long pass and his lack of mobility would be a serious issue in that role. Pereira will hopefully be given some real chances to prove himself there.

Waynne

Please no. Mata will fold under the slightest press. Short and physically not suited for the role.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He'd be passing to De Gea more than he would the forwards. Slightest pressure and he goes backwards.

buckooo1978

If Pogba had the tactical awareness and discipline he could be the best deep lying playmaker in the world.

The obvious long-term option there is Pereira. Mata doesn't have the long-range whipped passes at pace, he takes his time making a long pass and his lack of mobility would be a serious issue in that role. Pereira will hopefully be given some real chances to prove himself there.
I disagree - just my opinion on Pogba

he was disciplined and tactically aware for France in the World Cup. It worked out well for France but we saw Pogba at 70% for me. He had one great game (in the semi?) but I don't see this as the heard of his talents

I think we see Pogba at his best as a midfielder with a lot of freedom but someone who primarily operates in the final third. His best football for me has been in his link up with Martial

for me, given his talent playing Pogba in a disciplined role is like buying a sports car with the speed limiter on - why buy him in the first place

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You lot are so obsessed with the negatives. Mata shouldn't play as Pirlo-lite not because he's too slow or weak, just like Pirlo was, but because he's by far the best player in our team at finding spaces in the middle and final third and connecting the dots by drifting from side to side at opportune moments. He's been very important in turning our season around for that reason alone.

Irrational.

He gets dispossessed far too easily/ he is too weak on the ball/ he lacks defensive awareness/ unknown quantity when it comes to long range passing.

His best position is centrally as a #10. There is no need to change that.

Grande

He gets dispossessed far too easily/ he is too weak on the ball/ he lacks defensive awareness/ unknown quantity when it comes to long range passing.

His best position is centrally as a #10. There is no need to change that.
You lot are so obsessed with the negatives. Mata shouldn't play as Pirlo-lite not because he's too slow or weak, just like Pirlo was, but because he's by far the best player in our team at finding spaces in the middle and final third and connecting the dots by drifting from side to side at opportune moments. He's been very important in turning our season around for that reason alone.
These are good summaries to me.

Seij

Pereira won't get games in midfield over Matic, Fellaini, and McTominay while Mourinho's in charge.

Nick7

No way. His runs in behind and movement across the opposition defence are the best part of his game. Why remove that for something like this?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
AMF. That's his best position. With Two quick wingers or forwards, He'll create a lot of chances.

We bought him as a World Class AMF and We've mostly played him as a Right Winger. It's really bizarre.

He'll get overpowered as a deep lying midfielder in the Premier League, teams will try to put pressure on him. He's small and is no Kante.

Last edited:

0le

It wouldn't work because he has no pace and no strength. He has never played any defensive roles in his career so we have little evidence to suggest he can make up for these issues with intelligent positioning, such as Carrick did to an extent (and Carrick was stronger and nowhere near as slow).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I did wonder a few months ago how he would go in a midfield three, but not as a deep-lying playmaker. I can't see that working at all as he just doesn't have the skillset.

Pereira is far more suited to that role, but even he I'm not sure should be that deep. Not that he ever gets a chance to play anyway.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Finally we have an idea worst than when someone said we should play Fellaini at CB. These bad ideas happen because people vastly underrate the defensive instincts and energy the likes of Xavi, Pirlo, Scholes, Modric, etc have or had. Just because you have good touch and a decent passing range does not mean you can be a deep lying playmaker.