Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

BarstoolProphet

Poor Mata receiving mostly negative-only reactions, mainly because this comes at the end of the unbelievably idiotic renewals of Young's, Jones' and Rojo's contracts. In isolation this isn't bad news but really not what we wanted in a time where we are starving for some positive and uplifting news. Not even the most delusional United fans could manage to come up with a United version of Liverpool's next year is our year.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Well, I must be in the minority...

I don’t mind this at all. If Juan is utilised in the correct position and as a squad player, I think it could be a good bit of business. He’s still a clever player who could be quite beneficial to keep in the squad. 3 years might be too long but I don’t mind at all. He’s certainly not one of the ones I wanted cleared out this summer.
You and me both. It's not a disaster. I think because we haven't made any other signings yet is what's ticking people off. I for sure am getting impatient as well but I don't think Mata resigning affects any of that imho.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Great! Now get Darmian and Alexis Sanchez signed on brand new 4+1 year contracts and we’d be right on course for taking Liverpool and City off their feckin perch.
Don't think Darmian wants to stay, lad is desperate to go. Ed will probably fool him into thinking he is signing for Juve. Just sign here son.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I got the impression from Ole that he wanted to build a more fluid, pacey counter attacking team. I don't see how Mata would fit into this. He certainly cannot play on the wing in a team looking to break at pace. The only conceivable position he could play in that formation would be as a 10/ attacking mid, but even then he wouldn't be 1st choice. Strange esp at a 3yr deal
Realsitically he doesn't really. He's been on the periphery of the starting team as a squad player since Ole came in and that will be increasingly so as time goes on.

The question really is whether you keep him on in that peripheral role (for the sake of having the body, having the experience, having a senior pro set a good example for younger players and having whatever occasional bit of class he can offer on the football pitch whenever he does feature) or let him go for free. All considered, the club probably benefits more from the former as nothing is really gained from the latter.

It would be one thing if keeping Mata actively hindered the rebuilding process but it doesn't really.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You and me both. It's not a disaster. I think because we haven't made any other signings yet is what's ticking people off. I for sure am getting impatient as well but I don't think Mata resigning affects any of that imho.
I can understand frustrations at the lack of movement as I am too. But as you say, I don’t think it’s bad at all.

Jazz

Don't think Darmian wants to stay, lad is desperate to go. Ed will probably fool him into thinking he is signing for Juve. Just sign here son.
Ed should let Darmian go. We're wasting his career, it's awful. Let him go for whatever fee. Ed acting like the lad has many years left to play.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
All for this. We have some talented young players coming through we need a person who can give them advice/put them straight if needs be.

There are 6/7 players I’d get rid of before Mata, at least

DomesticTadpole

Ed should let Darmian go. We're wasting his career, it's awful. Let him go for whatever fee. Ed acting like the lad has many years left to play.
I feel sorry for him that way. He obviously wants to go without going to the press about it. He has not given us any problems, just let him go.

R'hllor

Hope people dont get twisted, doubt anyone dislikes Mata in here, guy is a class act but this whole extending contracts to Jones, Young, Mata etc. thing is not only about them.

DomesticTadpole

All for this. We have some talented young players coming through we need a person who can give them advice/put them straight if needs be.

There are 6/7 players I’d get rid of before Mata, at least
I would much rather have Juan put an arm round me than Jesse Lingard.

acnumber9

So twice then. Was that the fecking game when they scored in the last second of the game? Anywho, i'd rather he wasn't starting for us.
He regularly gets goals in big games and is regularly left out of them for some reason. I’d rather Mata started than our other options.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'm not bothered about mata extending.

I am bothered about the length of the deal though its utterly ridiculous.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
I would much rather have Juan put an arm round me than Jesse Lingard.
He seems a proper bloke. A strong character and a really nice guy. I get the impression he wouldn’t be scared to challenge people in the dressing room if needs be.

He is still capable of a great game too. He’s the least of our troubles today.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
This time last week I wanted him gone but dwelling on it, there are players that I'd rather see leave and we can't get rid of them all at once. Three years though?!?

DomesticTadpole

I'm not bothered about mata extending.

I am bothered about the length of the deal though its utterly ridiculous.
It is the length I have a problem with, although I suspect if he really dropped off in form he is somebody who would have sense to retire and then join the club in another capacity.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hope people dont get twisted, doubt anyone dislikes Mata in here, guy is a class act but this whole extending contracts to Jones, Young, Mata etc. thing is not only about them.
Ah yeah, I think everyone realises that those criticising the renewal don't dislike Mata himself. Ye're not monsters.

To my mind Jones is the inexplicable one in that list. Young and Mata literally aren't worth anything, so the choice was between letting them go for free or keeping them on the periphery of the squad as senior role models and backup that stops you from having to spend on replacements. I get why the club opted for the latter. Once you replace them in the starting 11 anyway they're fine to have around the squad.

Jones isn't approaching the end of his career though, nor would I have thought he was totally valueless in the market as a 27 year old England international. There was an actual point to selling him so I dunno what their thinking was there.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You said he will age better than most.

He’s no long a very effective player on the football field. His biggest asset has always been his savvy positioning to finish off attacks, there’s no denying that. But these days he normally plays so far from the opponents that there’s no point of him being on the field.
Ok, picked up on the looks thing after I’d already replied.

I just think he’s suffered like every other attacking player from being part of a dysfunctional team. Utterly reliant on Pogba to create, completely lost when he’s in one of his can’t be arsed moods.

If we sort out defence and midfield, with two decent fullbacks and a well rounded striker up top, then Mata could potentially thrive. If we can’t do this then he’s the least of our problems.

Cypriot

The type of squad player you want to have. Experienced, very good attitude, won't complain about not starting, a good influence on the youth and very good technically. No brainer really, can't have a 23 man squad of nothing but young superstars? The people complaining are literally stupid.

redshaw

I don't mind to be honest. He's a good person to have around and when things are looking desperate he tends to come up with a goal or something and works hard. We can at least rely on him in tough spots through injury or coming on as a sub.

Jazz

I hope our fans do not send him any snarky messages on his twitter. He's always been respectful of our club and it's not his fault the powers that be are making a mess of getting in players this transfer window.

DomesticTadpole

I hope our fans do not send him any snarky messages on his twitter. He's always been respectful of our club and it's not his fault the powers that be are making a mess of getting in players this transfer window.
Somebody will, there is always at least one idiot.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
It is the length I have a problem with, although I suspect if he really dropped off in form he is somebody who would have sense to retire and then join the club in another capacity.

Wouldve made sense to just offer him a year extension.

I agree though I dont think mata will play on if he knows he cant. He would be a brilliant mentor to young players.

Jazz

Mata for DOF
Good call. Might just do a half decent job which is more than what we're getting at the moment from whomever the hell is dealing with transfers.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Ok, picked up on the looks thing after I’d already replied.

I just think he’s suffered like every other attacking player from being part of a dysfunctional team. Utterly reliant on Pogba to create, completely lost when he’s in one of his can’t be arsed moods.

If we sort out defence and midfield, with two decent fullbacks and a well rounded striker up top, then Mata could potentially thrive. If we can’t do this then he’s the least of our problems.
Genuinely serious?

It's now Pogba's fault when Mata is crap...? Really?

Jazz

Bizarrely could actually see Juan Mata pulling that off and being really good at it...

Maybe that's why Woodward gave him a 3 contract - to keep him away from the DoF job.
I can see him retire here and go work behind the scenes. The lad really likes the club, and as I say, he's not responsible for the current chaos.