Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

Kaglish10

It is the length I have a problem with, although I suspect if he really dropped off in form he is somebody who would have sense to retire and then join the club in another capacity.
Indeed. Was he not the same player looking for an improved offer from other clubs until he realised no one wants him but us? Has the sense to retire? He shouldn't have even signed the contract in the first place.

Canagel

Genuinely serious?

It's now Pogba's fault when Mata is crap...? Really?
You didn't get it he makes all the other players bad by spreading the negative vibes. Mata suffered the most I believe amassing the paltry sum of 6 goals in 2 years because of it.

Last edited:

SteveW

He's already worthless to us as a footballer. Can only think he's being kept around for his professionalism and as an example to the younger players. 3 years is quite strange though. Not too encouraging for someone like Angel Gomes

Red Viking

He is simply not good enough for a top 4 club and even Chelsea struggled getting top 4 when they had him playing every game and that is when he was at his best. He simply is too poor most of the time and do not produce enough goals / assists while being a luxury player. This club is simply inept run when it comes to getting getting rid of players in time while they are worth something. He dosn´t even fit into Oles style at all and yet he is being kept. This club is run by inept sports management. It dosn´t matter if he is nice or not if he can not produce on the pitch to a high enough standard. If the club want him in a club role then fine then hire him in a role in the Pr department with suitable pay rather than keeping him on as a highly paid player. The wages would be better spend elswhere.

Even squad players need to be near first team quality and he is far from being that. This is very disappointing news as it reeks of poor decision making yet again.

RoyH1

While I like Mata more than most here on the CAF, I really don't see how this is conducive to building a young, exciting team for the future?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wouldve made sense to just offer him a year extension.

I agree though I dont think mata will play on if he knows he cant. He would be a brilliant mentor to young players.
Particularly so if, as the Guardian article suggests, we intend to keep him on in some sort of post-playing role at the club anyway. He would literally just be stepping into a different payed role at the club.

Snafu17

I don't mind Mata, by all accounts he's a great bloke, professional, a good influence in the dressing room and can even be useful occasionally, but why the feck are we giving him a 2 year contract after he's worst ever season, when he's not exactly young or even in his prime anymore. This is not as ridiculously dumb as the Jones' contract but boy is it weird as shit.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The manager isn't ruthless enough. I have no hopes from him now. No wonder he rates every fecker in the squad because at least they are better than the ones he used to manage at Molde.

I thought him playing with few of the best players of his generation would at least make him strive for quality but it's hard to hope for basics done right at this club.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The manager isn't ruthless enough. I have no hopes from him now. No wonder he rates every fecker in the squad because at least they are better than the ones he used to manage at Molde.

I thought him playing with few of the best players of his generation would at least make him strive for quality but it's hard to hope for basics done right at this club.
What do you expect him to do? Lose Mata and not replace him? Or replace him and not replace a different shite player in a different position?

I'm genuinely not sure what some of you thought the multi-year rebuild Ole described at the end of the season was going to look like but this is it.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He obviously doesn't care about actually playing games because he should never be starting for us outside the Europa league. Just another money grabber.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What do you expect him to do? Lose Mata and not replace him? Or replace him and not replace a different shite player in a different position?

I'm genuinely not sure what some of you thought the multi-year rebuild Ole described at the end of the season was going to look like but this is it.
I get the impression many on here just want to do a rage quit, sell the entire squad and start again.

To be honest, I can relate to that. Although I do at least appreciate it’s a) not going to happen and b) fecking madness.

ayushreddevil9

As someone said above, 6 league goals in 2 seasons as a RW. He doesn't need replacing he needs discarding. No pace, no strength to play in midfield or wings.

Getting deadwood out IS a part of rebuild.

Castia

Three years.....three fecking years.

fecking clueless this lot. It’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

ayushreddevil9

I get the impression many on here just want to do a rage quit, sell the entire squad and start again.

To be honest, I can relate to that. Although I do at least appreciate it’s a) not going to happen and b) fecking madness.
Nobody wants to sell an entire squad but can there be a starting point where the deadwood starts to get cleared? You appreciate the new deals to Young, Jones, Rojo and now Mata?

Castia

Surely this is the plan? I was ok with 1 year (I guess). I can only assume the 3 year extension is to avoid losing him for free next Summer.

He’s available for free now and nobody will take him, who’s paying a fee for him in another 12 months?

el3mel

We got him tied for 3 years when he's absolutely past it now, so imagine enduring him while declining even more after 2 years of this contract length while no other good club will be interested in him. Absolutely terrible contract. Should have been given a 1 year or 1+1 so that when he gets shitter we can get rid of him easily.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It feels like a new signing!

Exactly what I had in mind when saying we need to get two wingers.

I thought we would change. It seems like the same good ol' Ed at the end.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As someone said above, 6 league goals in 2 seasons as a RW. He doesn't need replacing he needs discarding. No pace, no strength to play in midfield or wings.

Getting deadwood out IS a part of rebuild.
Right. So you lose him for free, don't replace him, play a young player instead (who you could have played ahead of Mata anyway) and lose the needed extra body for what what will be a long and arduous season.

For what gain? That hasn't in anyway benefited the team beyond you getting to say a player you don't rate isn't here anymore.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Need to tie up Lingard on long contract too. In case we lose him on free and can't replace him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Right. So you lose him for free, don't replace him, play a young player instead (who you could have played ahead of Mata anyway) and lose the needed extra body for what what will be a long and arduous season.

For what gain? That hasn't in anyway benefited the team beyond you getting to say a player you don't rate isn't here anymore.
No ones that for sure, however if Mata is let go, it defo increases the chances of seeing more of the youngsters.

Gopher Brown

He's already worthless to us as a footballer. Can only think he's being kept around for his professionalism and as an example to the younger players. 3 years is quite strange though. Not too encouraging for someone like Angel Gomes
Good feckin’ grief! We can’t just get rid of everyone. If you stick Angel Gomes in the team right now he’d be out of his depth.

Why not look at it as keeping an experience member of the squad who never complains, is somewhat effective, and knows what it’s like to play for Man Utd? Instead of your negative bullshit.

ayushreddevil9

Need to tie up Lingard on long contract too. In case we lose him on free and can't replace him.
Yep.
Chuckle brothers - Done
Amigos - Partly Done
Young lads who are cringe worthy on Insta - Priority

Classnordic

Thats the way to really send a positive and progressing signal. Getting played by a mid to lower table player for a 3-year contract. Im speechless

-Supreme-

Ole has played him behind the two strikers.
And he has looked good there.

But to give him 3 years and not give Herrera the same is puzzling.
A lot of people forget that Herrera turned us down for better money elsewhere, we'd be insane to pay him anywhere near 300k+ a week wage

And I highly doubt Mata was offered 3 years contract at 31, most probably 2 years with 1 year optional