Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

IrishMcD

Young, Jones, Smalling and now possibly Mata getting new contracts. Just waiting on the news of 'JLingz' and 'Rashy' getting massive pay increases to send me completely over the edge!!

Morpheus 7

I love how we are renewing the wrong players like him, Young, Jones, Smalling. Just a waste of time, he was really poor last year. Nice guy but we aren't a charity, we need quicker better players in this side. Disappointing if he signs another contract with us, not surprising though.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
The Jones signing makes sense, a Mata signing would not. I really don't want to watch Mata get beaten to 50/50 balls anymore. The best teams in Europe are built around quick and skillful players in attack (City, Liverpool, Barca, PSG...). If Mata had average speed he might be useful, however...

Jeffthered

Because I still think he offers something most of the squad don’t. Playing him wide right is a total waste, around the box he is still inventive and works the ball well. I don’t see anyone else in the squad offering what he does when he’s around the box.
His problem is what he does NOT give far outweighs what he does unfortunately. If he was hitting 12 a season with plenty assists, then I couldn't care less if he won a header, made a tackle, couldn't run for toffee... technically, he is a gifted player. But he lacks power, any sort of cutting edge or demand in his game. We, nor any other top team I feel, can afford that. being tidy in the last third is fine... but you need more than that. And he has shown, for some time now, he simply does not provide that.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Great if he stays. The only player in our team who wouldn’t stick out like a sore thumb at City for being a donkey.
I'm not sure Mata would get one start with City. You do realize Pep likes quick, talented players?

kentafuji

I'm not.
As long as we can save money by retaining existing players (even if they aren't good enough), it allows Woodward to tell the manager that we don't need to buy more players as we have enough. This trick was played with Jose and Woodie will continue to use this, as it works a treat and fans accept it.

This is just another example of how deluded some fans are, when they think that we could challenge for the league title next season.

MCFC are ditching Vincent Kompany - a player who captained his side to 3 trophies this season - because they deem him to be no longer good enough. We on the other hand are hanging onto the likes of Jones and Mata.

Why are fans accepting this? Can they not see what is happening?
Except that isnt what happened. He got an offer to be player-manager at Anderlecht and weighed that up against his chances of playing time next season at City, and chose Anderlecht. Seems like it was more his choice that Citys choice. Sure he'd still be at City next season if this opportunity didnt come up

“Not so long ago, I took a call from RSC Anderlecht,” Kompany wrote. “Quite unexpectedly, they offered me the position of player-manager. Michael [Verschueren, the sporting director] and Frank [Arnesen, the technical director] explained to me in detail how they saw it working in practice. They had thought it through. I was left not only impressed, but also intrigued by this sign of confidence in me.
Of course, we shouldnt be hanging onto Mata either way, but lets not act like City are 'ditching' their captain. He is choosing to leave because he sees himself having a smaller role next season

Smores

We're basically signing a 31 year old player who isn't good enough for our first team here, because he's 'an option'.

How about we actually sign someone who could be a first team regular one day or better yet give these minutes to Gomes/Chong/Dalot

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His problem is what he does NOT give far outweighs what he does unfortunately. If he was hitting 12 a season with plenty assists, then I couldn't care less if he won a header, made a tackle, couldn't run for toffee... technically, he is a gifted player. But he lacks power, any sort of cutting edge or demand in his game. We, nor any other top team I feel, can afford that. being tidy in the last third is fine... but you need more than that. And he has shown, for some time now, he simply does not provide that.
Fair points, but I honestly believe if he was played further forward instead of the right hand side he genuinely would be hitting higher numbers for us. He shouldn’t be starting for us, but if utilised correctly he could be a valuable option. He’s not a player I would be readily discarding compared to some others in the squad.

Roboc7

Just like Fellaini situation he’ll renew because he won’t have great options and we’re too scared to let him go.

He’s declined massively as a player, has never hit the heights he did at Chelsea and will rewarded for mediocrity, probably even get a pay rise. He isn’t the worse player in the squad but he’s not good enough and his contract about to expire, that should be the end of it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We're basically signing a 31 year old player who isn't good enough for our first team here, because he's 'an option'.

How about we actually sign someone who could be a first team regular one day or better yet give these minutes to Gomes/Chong/Dalot
Meanwhile City are rumoured to be selling Leroy Sane, a player who’d be our best winger by some distance.

Club hasn’t had that killer instinct in it for so long.

izec

Mata is far too safe. Rarely attempts something. He scores the odd goal here and there, can score a free kick from close range and be nice and tidy for parts of the game, but he is not worth it anymore, he will only get worse and worse. His consistency isnt there anymore, quite like our team.

I dont see anything that he brings that someone like Gomes couldnt deliver. And there we have an actual player that can improve over the years and be instrumental instead of keeping someone who wont be here in 2 years. We are the worst club at identifying when a player is past it and then when we witness it for years, reward him with a new contract. Disgraceful.

Nanook

He should move on. Like Fellaini, Mata probably did just about enough not to be considered a flop but he wasn’t a great signing.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Surely this is just to get a nominal fee for him next jan or following summer. If not then I fail to see why we are bothering. These contract extensions and pay rises are for the wrong players to the naked eye. Let’s hope Ed has a plan but I highly doubt it. He just doesn’t want to lose an asset for free

The UTD Way

I don't understand Ole,he is beginning to sound like a politician, full of soundbites no action .

He renewed Jones' Young's contracts.
He said he will play academy lads, and still played Ashley Young in a deadrubber match.
He said he wants his team to outrun and outwork the opponents and he's renewing Mata who's weak and slow.

Let Mata go, I don't even want him as a squad option, Gomes and Greenwood should take his place.
I think we’re in a precarious position at the moment. Yes we need to get rid of deadwood, but at the same time if our no.1 target is not available for say 12 months then we are better keeping the more professional players.

Mata has the right attitude and professionalism to help the youngsters coming through. One years wages over spending 20-50m on a second or third choice target is the better option during our transformation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Young, Jones, Smalling and now possibly Mata getting new contracts. Just waiting on the news of 'JLingz' and 'Rashy' getting massive pay increases to send me completely over the edge!!
Juan Mata is a extremely valuable squad player, he's not intended as a starting XI candidate.

IrishMcD

Juan Mata is a extremely valuable squad player, he's not intended as a starting XI candidate.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion mate, so I'm just gonna say I strongly disagree with you on the 'valuable' part. I struggle to think of anything he offers, in fact i think he is a symbol of everything that is wrong with our current squad; a 'nice' guy with absolutely no warrior spirit, comfortable on the ball but rarely does anything with it, no pace and no urgency. I strongly think the amount of minutes he will get, which hopefully will be few and far between, should go to a youth player. At least if they are crap, they wont be costing us the wages Mata will.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think we’re in a precarious position at the moment. Yes we need to get rid of deadwood, but at the same time if our no.1 target is not available for say 12 months then we are better keeping the more professional players.

Mata has the right attitude and professionalism to help the youngsters coming through. One years wages over spending 20-50m on a second or third choice target is the better option during our transformation.
Isn't it a risk that keeping some of these players might just put us in an even worse situation after this next season, then our No. 1 target might not be interested anyway. This is going to be one hell of a juggling act.

Sp00ks11

It's going to be a long summer with news like this and an even longer season next year whilst we are still playing the chuckle brothers and Ashley young at the back. Ahh well, ''tis only football.

davidmichael

Lovely person, great character, good player in the right system but isn’t what we need at all and is yet another example of how upside down the club is. De Gea is a year away from being out of contract with no sign of renewing whilst Herrera just left on a free and they are both players needed yet we’ll give new contracts to Young, Jones and Mata and none of which should be in the squad let alone starting.

arthurka

I like Mata but this club needs to get back to being ruthless. Gomes should get the Mata minutes.

RE1999

What are the options though:

1) let him go for free and have to buy/promote a replacement. None of the kids are good enough yet and we can't afford yet another signing this summer; or
2) sign a short extension and worry about it next season.

End of the day, we still need to pick a team of 11 for 3 games each week. Not saying Mata should be no.1 choice but not reason he can't cover the No.10 spot.

He might not fit into a 4-3-3 but if we are going to play 4-2-3-1, he fits right in and is probably our only technically gifted player and is a positive influence on the squad.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba

There's a reason coaches/clubs have 2nd/3rd choice targets, if the first choice is not available you go for other options .
Secondly, there are no guarantees that our first choice will be available after 12 months , even if he's ,he may sign for another club .

Attitude and professionalism are good but not enough, if they were City would not have released Kompany. Mata is slow and weak ,no top side with ambition would have him ATM.

A second /third choice target does not necessarily mean a drop in quality from the first choice . What makes a target a 2nd/3rd choice may include, age, league, nationality, buyout clause, length of contract etc.

Negative Red

I think we should let Mata go and give Gomes the minutes. Mata would still have a lot of offer in Spain or Italy but is too slow for what we need.

It would be a shame if Gomes left to get first team action somewhere else. I've already seen his name linked with PSG and Barca. He looks like he could be a real talent. Players aren't going to improve if they don't get minutes on the pitch.

DeGea

Mata still has things to offer, an extremely good passer of the ball. Running and physicality however are not his strengths. We need to play him in the right way. Good at set pieces too. I don't think we should let him go, neither do I think he should be paid too much money.

He should be played centrally as a playmaker, spray passes around and a younger, quicker guy next to him to do all the running.

TRUERED89

I'm not sure Mata would get one start with City. You do realize Pep likes quick, talented players?
Mata has declined no arguing that, but how quick are D. Silva and De Bruyne? Similar types of players to Mata, they're just extremely creative and hold possession superbly. So quickness isn't what's holding him back imo.

MadMike

Mata has declined no arguing that, but how quick are D. Silva and De Bruyne? Similar types of players to Mata, they're just extremely creative and hold possession superbly. So quickness isn't what's holding him back imo.
D.Silva and KDB are both considerably quicker than Mata. It's not even a subject for debate.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
We’ll be lucky to challenge for 6th if we keep up this policy of renewing the contracts of players who are about as much use as thumbs on a dog.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just let him to and replace him with Gomes in the squad. What benefit do we get from having Mata in the squad? He doesnt reapply help towards top 4, especially not as an aging squad player on a lot of money. Swap him with Gomes who has big potential, we'll be no worse off in the grand scheme of things.

There should always be the cost/benefit analysis of keeping players like him and extending them or replacing them with what we have. We can basically replace Sanchez and Mata with Chong and Gomes and lose basically no output over the last 1.5 years (but save like £450k a week in wages?). Similarly we can replace Rojo and Bailly with just Tuanzebe. Lose nothing in terms of what they've given us over the past 2 years. Save ~£200k a week on wages. Get rid of Darmian and replace his 3 appearances a season with Laird/any random youngster. The list goes on. It just doesn't make sense to have older players on high wages taking up small roles where they barely have an impact anyway (or barely play anyway). Mata is basically in that category with a chunk of others, and luckily for us, we can put in one of our most promising youngsters in his spot.

RedDevil@84

We will extend Mata so that he can help out his dad in the restaurant? Unless of course we are planning to give him loads of minutes next season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Gomes could do with his minutes. OGS keeps talking about not blocking players. Time tmfor him to walk the talk.