Jude Bellingham | Real Madrid player

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Mark Goldbridge classic?
I wouldn't know, tbf, thus the "if rumours are true". I'm not British/Irish, so my knowledge of all these journos is limited to what i read from/about them on this forum.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me. We spent the majority of Solskjaer's tenure treating the midfield, more or less, as a nuisance. We never put much thought into it, and its primary function was as a breakwater for a team with a low work rate that was trying to support a tactical plan which consisted of three forwards and a gunslinger playmaker behind them.

Not that he would be more effective under the current regime. ETH showed that he wanted to address the issues in the middle of the park but, and this is the irony with all the people who accuse him for being dogmatic, instead of building a midfield to support a system, he tried to create a midfield around what he inherited. So, a pure defensive midfielder (that the whole Caf had been crying out for) to screen a shaky defence, with Bruno as a final third creator. In other words, sacrifice a more balanced approach in favour of a "mix of players with different qualities all together". As a pundit in my country calls it: "not a midfield of three, but a midfield of 1+1+1". Thing is, the way we're playing, we don't need Bellingham or FdJ in that #8 role to play a more expansive brand of football. We need a miracle.

All in all, either rumour is believable. That the people who advise Bellingham told him to stay away from United in the early stages of his development or that we told him and his people that, at that point in time, what we needed was to enhance the McFred experience, not to deviate from it. Not because we didn't rate Bellingham, mainly because we had already made a conscious decision to make sacrifices and accommodations for Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Bruno. After all, he is much more talented than the water-carriers who get praised on here for "putting a shift in" to risk his development playing for this United side.

Which, if the rumours are true, would be my point. Because, even now, we are a team that produces and finds first-team minutes for midfielders who offer little else than running around. It's either that or high end-product numbers. And we do have a player for the spaces Bellingham's currently occupying at Real Madrid. So, he wouldn't be getting the same numbers here. He would be doing other stuff, midfield stuff that would shine even more in a balanced team, but we don't care about those things or those players. And this is one of the reasons why Bellingham is where he is and we are where we are, preparing to park the bus so that we won't get annihilated by our city rivals in a few hours.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
still can't believe the world really watched Real buy Camavinga, Tchouameni & Bellingham and did nothing to stop it.

The Avengers initiative should have been activated for feck's sake
Maybe try and be competitive so that we can atleast grab their attention? Nobody gives a shit about history anymore.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Where was the game being played? Didn't look like the nou camp?

Lee565

The guy already has more goals than probably we will see from any of our attackers all season, he's still not in his peak years, I just hope injuries don't rub us of seeing what his potential can be

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
When does this cycle end?
Pogba needs Casemiro to free him up.
Casemiro needs Amrabat to free him up.
Bruno needs ABC to free him up.
The cycle just continues. Nearly all our midfielders need someone else to free them up?
In reality, what they need is a well balanced midfield that works together. Not any specific midfielder.

We buy Pogba and play him in a midfield two, something he's never done consistently in his career (people always bring up France, but in reality they almost always used another hard-working central midfielder on the wing). We buy Matic and expect him to do pretty much all the defensive work himself, something he obviously doesn't have the legs for. We buy Fred and play him as our deep-lying playmaker, highlighting all his weaknesses. And so on. Every step of the way we just have a mess of a midfield with individuals expected to do jobs that they aren't suited to doing, instead of having a midfield that actually functions together as a team.

Modric was played in an attacking role when he first went to Real. It didn't work. Zidane was played in a deeper role when he first went to Juventus. It didn't work. Both clubs didn't keep trying to do the same thing and expect the result to change, they changed things up and built a balanced midfield that highlighted the strengths of all their midfielders. And those are two of the greats, so if they need the right set-up it's ridiculous to expect less talented players to be able to perform without it. Yet that's what this club and the different managers seem to have expected.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
In reality, what they need is a well balanced midfield that works together. Not any specific midfielder.

We buy Pogba and play him in a midfield two, something he's never done consistently in his career (people always bring up France, but in reality they almost always used another hard-working central midfielder on the wing). We buy Matic and expect him to do pretty much all the defensive work himself, something he obviously doesn't have the legs for. We buy Fred and play him as our deep-lying playmaker, highlighting all his weaknesses. And so on. Every step of the way we just have a mess of a midfield with individuals expected to do jobs that they aren't suited to doing, instead of having a midfield that actually functions together as a team.

Modric was played in an attacking role when he first went to Real. It didn't work. Zidane was played in a deeper role when he first went to Juventus. It didn't work. Both clubs didn't keep trying to do the same thing and expect the result to change, they changed things up and built a balanced midfield that highlighted the strengths of all their midfielders. And those are two of the greats, so if they need the right set-up it's ridiculous to expect less talented players to be able to perform without it. Yet that's what this club and the different managers seem to have expected.
Great post. Taught me stuff.

Suv666

Brexit Jim’s alleged all England strategy might not be the worst thing

Bellingham destroying Spain, Kane doing the business in Germany and Saka one of the best wingers in England.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
Apparently we told Bellingham he'd never make it here and he should go back to Birmingham
He was offered an U23 deal and a route to the first team ‘in a few years’. Dortmund offered him 1st.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He was offered an U23 deal and a route to the first team ‘in a few years’. Dortmund offered him 1st.
If the next young Bellingham comes up next summer, anyone think Utd can compete with BVB for his signature even if UTD offers 1st team football?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
If the next young Bellingham comes up next summer, anyone think Utd can compete with BVB for his signature even if UTD offers 1st team football?
Might depend on CL football. United signed Höjlund, so it's not impossible.

Joel Miller

I see you've temporarily abandoned the 'doesn't show up in big games' gambit when trying to throw shade on a guy not long out of his teens.
Fair play to him. But it was a fair criticism since, well you know, he’d disappeared at the two trickiest La Liga venues he’d had to play at until Saturday, which wasn’t actually at the Nou Camp anyway.

Anyway I was more poking fun at the radio silence when he didn’t get going in those games compared with pages of hyperbolic predictions whenever he’d gotten on the scoresheet any other time.

padr81

Supports
Man City
"Listen kid, you're pretty good for a Birmingham player but we've got Scott McTominay and it might take you awhile to get ahead of him."

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Fair play to him. But it was a fair criticism since, well you know, he’d disappeared at the two trickiest La Liga venues he’d had to play at until Saturday, which wasn’t actually at the Nou Camp anyway.

Anyway I was more poking fun at the radio silence when he didn’t get going in those games compared with pages of hyperbolic predictions whenever he’d gotten on the scoresheet any other time.
So much salt. You still don't quite understand the context of what he is doing, do you? To better understand, try to think of the last time you saw a 20 year old go to one of the biggest clubs in the world, in a country where he didn't speak the language, and score 13 goals in 13 games, including the winning goal in a large proportion of those games, and a brace in one of the greatest derby/rivalry matches in football. I'll be here waiting for you to remind of all the other times this has happened.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

Atletico sure, but Sevilla are in 13th position. On the other hand, Girona are currently 2nd, beat Madrid 4-0 last season, they were leaders when Madrid visited their stadium this season and Belligham did very well there.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
Jude just won the Kopa Trophy.

Don’t know how he’s still blagging it. Surely he’ll be revealed as correctly predicted by many as average soon enough right?

Ole'sgunnarwin

He's like a mixture of Zidane with his build up play and Cristiano with his productivity. He's a bloody pleasure to watch. I can't believe his leadership skills at his age.

Zen

It's a shame he's being held back for England.... but I'm not sure it's entirely on Southgate, Kane existing in the spaces he obviously wants to flourish in doesn't help. What I'd give to have Pep managing England with this insane talent.

mu4c_20le

Fergie would have tapped him up until he signed. Frustrating that we ID'd a couple of talents like him and Haaland but failed to get them over the line.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don’t know

Can’t think of anywhere that this information would even be available either

Must be a fair few by now though
That would require me opening another tab and typing stuff. -_-

But the tally has to be something absurd by now. Wondering what the record is for an AM... although I don't know how to procure that information...

Think we're entering Matthaus and Platini levels of productivity now, though.. at a guess of course. :angel:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
15 goals and 6 assists in 16 games is crazy. Ballon d’Or winning form

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's not really playing midfield to be fair. It's a pretty similar role to Kane.
Every time I've seen him, he's doing everything from deep and then completing in the final stage. Today was no different to that. Not sure I'd say that's similar to Kane.