Julian Weigl

Jaybomb

He's a great player but I think it's time we created our own players instead of saying "Oh this guy and that guy look good, lets sign em up!" - Not every good player is a United player. Remember that. There's plenty of top class players who I don't feel would suit United.

We have Mensah who looks to be an absolute beast of a CDM. And who's to say the likes of Weir and Goss aren't ready? We won't know unless they're given a chance. Harry Kane was rubbish at Norwich and Leicester. You can't judge a player on his loan spells, they need that opportunity in the first team.

Plus Schneiderlin is so much better than Carrick nowadays. He should be the first name on the team sheet for me. Van Gaal just preferred Carrick cause he was "safer". Anyone who took a risk (Di Maria, Memphis, Januzaj, Pereira, Schneiderlin, Herrera, etc) wasn't a regular starter under Van Gaal. His "philosophy" was literally the worst. But obviously I was happy with the FA Cup win.

TehRed

If we could ever get this kid, he'd be the Carrick replacement. Quality player, so calm and assured.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Can't remember a (plus Verratti) DLPM so young yet so clam and composed. Absolutely class player; every time I watched Dortmund last season he impressed me the most. Tuchel must have an eye for talent as I remember reading somewhere he's a personal request of Tuchel.

I'd absolutely love him at Utd however a move to the PL would be too early I believe (if he's to) as he isn't fully physically developed yet. The PL is more about pace and power and he'd get outmuscled in the middle of the park.
Possible, but he was on our radar for far longer. We scouted him since his first season for 1860 Munich. I see it as more likely that he is another one on Mislintat´s (head scout of Dortmund) long list of suggestions, who became quality players.

NYAS

Extremely talented for his age. I'm going to try and catch as many Dortmund games as I can this coming season. Will be very interesting to see whether both Weigl and Dembele can replicate or even improve on last season's form. Those two are showing ridiculous potential in my opinion.

Devil may care

One of my favourite players to watch last season, incredibly mature positionally and fantastic on the ball, the clear choice to replace Carrick next season IMO.

legball

He's absolutely unreal, and don't let the stature deceive you, he doesn't get pushed around easily.

as-95

He's a great player but I think it's time we created our own players instead of saying "Oh this guy and that guy look good, lets sign em up!" - Not every good player is a United player. Remember that. There's plenty of top class players who I don't feel would suit United.

We have Mensah who looks to be an absolute beast of a CDM. And who's to say the likes of Weir and Goss aren't ready? We won't know unless they're given a chance. Harry Kane was rubbish at Norwich and Leicester. You can't judge a player on his loan spells, they need that opportunity in the first team.

Plus Schneiderlin is so much better than Carrick nowadays. He should be the first name on the team sheet for me. Van Gaal just preferred Carrick cause he was "safer". Anyone who took a risk (Di Maria, Memphis, Januzaj, Pereira, Schneiderlin, Herrera, etc) wasn't a regular starter under Van Gaal. His "philosophy" was literally the worst. But obviously I was happy with the FA Cup win.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the notion that we should not sign quality young talent just in case one of our youth players steps up is ridiculous.

Rashford has shown that the "if you're good enough, you're old enough" mantra is still going strong at Old Trafford. The more talented players we have at our club,the better. If Goss or Weir are good enough, they will show their quality and earn a place in the first team squad like Rashford has.

We can't miss out a top tier talent who has already shown more pedigree at Dortmund than many Premier League midfielders whilst hoping that our young midfielders step up.

TFM has shown more promise than Goss and Weir and if he is good enoigh, the competition will fuel him further and force him to raise his game. The very top sides have quality midfields but also have quality alternarives for rotation. Look at Bayern and Barca for example.

You can never have too much quality in your side.

Jaybomb

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the notion that we should not sign quality young talent just in case one of our youth players steps up is ridiculous.

Rashford has shown that the "if you're good enough, you're old enough" mantra is still going strong at Old Trafford. The more talented players we have at our club,the better. If Goss or Weir are good enough, they will show their quality and earn a place in the first team squad like Rashford has.

We can't miss out a top tier talent who has already shown more pedigree at Dortmund than many Premier League midfielders whilst hoping that our young midfielders step up.

TFM has shown more promise than Goss and Weir and if he is good enoigh, the competition will fuel him further and force him to raise his game. The very top sides have quality midfields but also have quality alternarives for rotation. Look at Bayern and Barca for example.

You can never have too much quality in your side.
You're forgetting that Rashford only got that chance because Martial pulled a hamstring in the warm up. If it wasn't for that, he would probably be loaned out to some League 1 side.

Goss and Weir may very well be good enough but the chances of them getting a shot in the midfield when the options ahead of them are Schneiderlin, Bastian, Carrick, Blind, Herrera, Fellaini and probably Pogba are practically non-existent. Mensah has at least got the versatility to play as a CB and RB, so when he's established in one of those, he will be trusted more to play as a CDM I reckon.

Z_Wolf

What a player he is. I think we should see how does this season and go for him in the summer. I'm going to watch more of Dortmund just to see this kid.

Varun

Staff
What a player he is. I think we should see how does this season and go for him in the summer. I'm going to watch more of Dortmund just to see this kid.
He's very good, yeah. What happened to your namesake btw? Was supposed to break through soon but I haven't heard anything about him of late.

Nostradamus

Can’t even predict the past
What makes you think, that you have a chance to get him? I m pretty sure, that he is going nowhere next summer and an extension seems the most likely scenario. All top clubs have him on their radar. This is just a pipe dream and it wont happen. Be prepared to get a bloody nose.

Z_Wolf

What makes you think, that you have a chance to get him? I m pretty sure, that he is going nowhere next summer and an extension seems the most likely scenario. All top clubs have him on their radar. This is just a pipe dream and it wont happen. Be prepared to get a bloody nose.
Contact extension doesn't mean anything other than we will have to pay more. He is a fantastic talent but his is definitely gettable. And it's dortmund, we've seen them sell their best players over the years.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Contact extension doesn't mean anything other than we will have to pay more. He is a fantastic talent but his is definitely gettable. And it's dortmund, we've seen them sell their best players over the years.
He's probably Alonso's successor at Bayern.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Why always so negative?

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And now name me a single key player we have sold (meaning actually agreeing to a deal) with more than one year left on contract (Weigl´s current one runs until 2019, the next would be either 2021 or 2022) in the last decade...

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
I have little doubt that it wouldn't matter whether there were 1 or 2 years contract left if one of the really big clubs were really hot for BVB (or any) player. Only the market economics are such at the moment, that players with 1 year of contract left are much more likely to show up on managers shortlists. Which is true for almost any club on the planet, so i don't really see why this is supposed to be an insulting thing to say about BVB.

Humm, Weigl... has a lot of potential but hasn't been a world beater so far. Current "kicker" schoolmarks have him as third from bottom of all BVB players - 2x a 3 ("average"), 2x a 4 ("below average"), the CL match also earned him a 3. Quite a feat with 3 matches in the list which were won by 5 goals or more.

El-Manos

Don't worry pet, juventus fans said the same thing about Pogba..

Kostur

海尔的老板
People do have to remember that BVB are playing in a specific system that at the moment we are nowhere near reproducing and hence their players are looking very good, in that system indeed. It doesn't mean that Mkhitaryan is already shot down by me, no, just keep that in mind that Götze and Kagawa looked far better in the system than they did in Bayern and United respectively.

It doesn't take anything from Weigl, mind, but also be mindful of the above.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Don't worry pet, juventus fans said the same thing about Pogba..
Well, if someone is stupid enough to pay that much money for him, there would be a possibility. Outside of a handful clubs, every player of every club has a certain price and is in that sense available.

The reason why we have not sold any top player with longer contracts in a long time is that our transfer policy is not to sell for the most profit, but to get the maximum out of the contracts. That means that we would call up exorbitant sums to let someone go earlier.

So, yes, if someone would offer 80+ Mil.€ for Weigl and he was willing to go, we would sell similar to what we would do if someone would offer 150 Mil. € for Aubameyang. At a certain point the financial compensation simply heavily outweighs the loss of the player, but in the eyes of our officials this point is so far north of the market value, that no club would contemplate offering that.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
i think
People do have to remember that BVB are playing in a specific system that at the moment we are nowhere near reproducing and hence their players are looking very good, in that system indeed. It doesn't mean that Mkhitaryan is already shot down by me, no, just keep that in mind that Götze and Kagawa looked far better in the system than they did in Bayern and United respectively.

It doesn't take anything from Weigl, mind, but also be mindful of the above.
I believe Götze and Kagawa play in positions that are more likely to be "system-sensitive". IMO, central-midfielder positions like #6 or #8 are easier to adapt to different team-playstyles.

El-Manos

Well, if someone is stupid enough to pay that much money for him, there would be a possibility. Outside of a handful clubs, every player of every club has a certain price and is in that sense available.

The reason why we have not sold any top player with longer contracts in a long time is that our transfer policy is not to sell for the most profit, but to get the maximum out of the contracts. That means that we would call up exorbitant sums to let someone go earlier.

So, yes, if someone would offer 80+ Mil.€ for Weigl and he was willing to go, we would sell similar to what we would do if someone would offer 150 Mil. € for Aubameyang. At a certain point the financial compensation simply heavily outweighs the loss of the player, but in the eyes of our officials this point is so far north of the market value, that no club would contemplate offering that.
The player could also just push for a move. We're probably not even after him so this discussion is pointless to be fair until something concrete links us to this potential transfer.

Kostur

海尔的老板
i think

I believe Götze and Kagawa play in positions that are more likely to be "system-sensitive". IMO, central-midfielder positions like #6 or #8 are easier to adapt to different team-playstyles.
Sure, but in a system where we're very static at the moment he won't be able to pick up a pass and when we have a #10 who can't control a medicine ball nevermind an ordinary football it can be quite tough to control the game, for what he seems to be lauded here.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Sure, but in a system where we're very static at the moment he won't be able to pick up a pass and when we have a #10 who can't control a medicine ball nevermind an ordinary football it can be quite tough to control the game, for what he seems to be lauded here.
If you have a #10 who can't control a medicine ball, you don't need a new #6, you need a new #10. Or Felix Magath, medicine-ball expert.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He's a player who needs his team to fit his style (modern, positional, dominant football), he'd probably look pathetic in United's everyone for himself approach.

Nostradamus

Can’t even predict the past
IF he extends his contract, then it means that you have ZERO chance to get him. I can only laugh about comments like "definitely gettable" and "its just Dortmund". United have tried to get a lot of players from them over the years, but the only players you have got had just one year left. Hummels, Reus & some more were not gettable for United and as I already said, all you are going to get is a bloody nose.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
IF he extends his contract, then it means that you have ZERO chance to get him. I can only laugh about comments like "definitely gettable" and "its just Dortmund". United have tried to get a lot of players from them over the years, but the only players you have got had just one year left. Hummels, Reus & some more were not gettable for United and as I already said, all you are going to get is a bloody nose.
Exactly. Its getting hilarious, over the years United fans and managers look at their own bad play and players, and then having a look at our style of play and wanted nearly everyone from us: Reus,Hummels,Klopp, and so on, i stoped counting at some point. Are you not embarrassed for yourself cause of that? It would be better for United to focuse on

- get yourself a system
- get yourself a scouting system
- get a youth acadamy which produces you players as good as ours
- get a longterm plan what you want to play and what players you need
- get a decent manager/coach for that

In general: Just stop being mediocre. Could be a begining... Looking at others and wanting his Lollipop like a stubborn dumb kid is exactly the kind of culture which leads United to being mediocre. Think about it.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Exactly. Its getting hilarious, over the years United fans and managers look at their own bad play and players, and then having a look at our style of play and wanted nearly everyone from us: Reus,Hummels,Klopp, and so on, i stoped counting at some point. Are you not embarrassed for yourself cause of that? It would be better for United to focuse on

- get yourself a system

In general: Just stop being mediocre. Could be a begining... Looking at others and wanting his Lollipop like a stubborn dumb kid is exactly the kind of culture which leads United to being mediocre. Think about it.
Fully agree with this.

Weigl is a brilliant player, but I hope we don't continue to cherry pick talent elsewhere and ignore the issues we currently face at home.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Fully agree with this.

Weigl is a brilliant player, but I hope we don't continue to cherry pick talent elsewhere and ignore the issues we currently face at home.
Weigl would also be a bad fit for United's set up. Plus, as someone mentioned, Dortmund doesn't sell with more than one year left on the contract.

Varun

Staff

- get yourself a system

Or, we could just buy Dortmund. Think about it.

Bwuk

We need to get a style of play and buy players to suit it.

I think Weigl is the sort of midfielder we need though.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Or, we could just buy Dortmund. Think about it.
I thought about it and can hardly think of an bigger embarrassment for United. It won't happen though because if we were for sale, Bayern would comfortably beat you to it. :lol:

Zoo

- get yourself a system

Why haven't we thought of this before?!

Varun

Staff
I thought about it and can hardly think of an bigger embarrassment for United. It won't happen though because if we were for sale, Bayern would comfortably beat you to it. :lol:
Knew they'd have first refusal in the contract anyways :mad:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Weigl would also be a bad fit for United's set up. Plus, as someone mentioned, Dortmund doesn't sell with more than one year left on the contract.
That would work if our current set up was producing great results, but it's not.

Weigl remains a great player, who I enjoy watching while he's at Dortmund & I don't necessarily want us to buy him unless he's open to moving.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
You dont remember? They already did it:

"Transfer-madness! Bayern buys Borussia Dortmund as a whole"

Best part for me:

"The Borussia Dortmund fans included in the purchase price, however feel sold. "We traitor! We Judases we! Ironically Bayern! But what do you want to make up an exit clause in the contract," says Fan spokesman Thomas Bünnig from Fanclub Borussia forever (future "Bayern forever"). Still, he swears like many other fans his new club, FC Bayern Munich, the loyalty: "For my team I'm going to need until the middle of nowhere."
Other ex-BVB supporters seek the same for an apartment in Munich, which is difficult in view of the local housing market. But until the next season is still a little time. Time even to find a suitable location for the Westfalenstadion, the stone by stone in Munich is to be rebuilt."

:lol:

http://www.der-postillon.com/2013/04/transferwahnsinn-fc-bayern-munchen.html