g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Julian Weigl

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Weigl... has a lot of potential but hasn't been a world beater so far. Current "kicker" schoolmarks have him as third from bottom of all BVB players - 2x a 3 ("average"), 2x a 4 ("below average"), the CL match also earned him a 3. Quite a feat with 3 matches in the list which were won by 5 goals or more.
Kicker marks are ridiculous as a reference point for any Bundesliga player but the general notion for Weigl is IMHO correct. Weigl hasn't delivered yet what he used to do last season and God knows if that's due to absolutely normal ups and downs during a youngster's development or if he had punched above his weight last season.
Yes, he has tons of potential but potential is zero guarantee that a player will come excellent in the long run. Players like Götze, Draxler, Meyer to name just a few set the world on fire in their 1st full Bundesliga seasons and look in which shape they are now: Still very talented but have by and large not pro- but regressed.
The hype around youngsters these days is pretty unbearable.

Crossie

Supports
You dont remember? They already did it:

"Transfer-madness! Bayern buys Borussia Dortmund as a whole"

Best part for me:

"The Borussia Dortmund fans included in the purchase price, however feel sold. "We traitor! We Judases we! Ironically Bayern! But what do you want to make up an exit clause in the contract," says Fan spokesman Thomas Bünnig from Fanclub Borussia forever (future "Bayern forever"). Still, he swears like many other fans his new club, FC Bayern Munich, the loyalty: "For my team I'm going to need until the middle of nowhere."
Other ex-BVB supporters seek the same for an apartment in Munich, which is difficult in view of the local housing market. But until the next season is still a little time. Time even to find a suitable location for the Westfalenstadion, the stone by stone in Munich is to be rebuilt."

:lol:

http://www.der-postillon.com/2013/04/transferwahnsinn-fc-bayern-munchen.html
I remember it very well! One of the best Postillion stories ever.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Kicker marks are ridiculous as a reference point for any Bundesliga player but the general notion for Weigl is IMHO correct. Weigl hasn't delivered yet what he used to do last season and God knows if that's due to absolutely normal ups and downs during a youngster's development or if he had punched above his weight last season.
Yes, he has tons of potential but potential is zero guarantee that a player will come excellent in the long run. Players like Götze, Draxler, Meyer to name just a few set the world on fire in their 1st full Bundesliga seasons and look in which shape they are now: Still very talented but have by and large not pro- but regressed.
The hype around youngsters these days is pretty unbearable.
A point where we are great at. Meyer and Draxler are good axamples for how to manage it badly, Schalke relies only on individual skills and put a lot of pressure on those players, especially on Draxler. While we stay quit and patient, having a good plan how to implement such players step by step. The sucess praises us: Have a look on Weigl,Pulisic,Passlack and others in the past (which i want to slowly exclude in this discussion cause the Klopp-era is past-but was sucessful in this matter to a great amount too, Hummels,Götze,...).

Back to Weigl: I dont agree with you, he started good as we know him from the last year. The whole squad has to start, but the season has just begun, there were the Euros and Olympics, 8 new players. Weigl is on a normal level just like the others. Dont know where it was, but i think in the Mainz game or so where we were stuggling a bit, he came in and abracadabra our game was full of control again.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Why haven't we thought of this before?!
Think its cause you transfered yourself slowly into a bank, which only focuses on sponsors and financial issues instead of focusing on football and whats going on on the pitch. Thinking to buy some players (better: names) and getting a coach is enough to play the best football in the world and to satisfy your own demanding to be the largest club of the world.

And now its up on a level where its gets started to be hilarious and embarrasing. Your city rival Shity got a coach who is reliable to build a squad and implement a style of play which you can rely on for years, while you are stil stuggling cause you bought only 3 players (names!) for an unreal amount of cash and got a coach who never functioned in terms of squadbuilding and implementing a longterm philosophy.
I cant see things changing for you. Youre attack is depending on a 35year old and a 18year old, your squad is totaly indifferent and doesnt fit to a certain system cause you didnt sort out and bought some players which are useable for what you want to invent this year and what you want to play the next years. Its a puzzling going on since years, and you have missed the opportunity to initiate a radical change.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Exactly. Its getting hilarious, over the years United fans and managers look at their own bad play and players, and then having a look at our style of play and wanted nearly everyone from us: Reus,Hummels,Klopp, and so on, i stoped counting at some point. Are you not embarrassed for yourself cause of that? It would be better for United to focuse on

- get yourself a system
- get yourself a scouting system
- get a youth acadamy which produces you players as good as ours
- get a longterm plan what you want to play and what players you need
- get a decent manager/coach for that

In general: Just stop being mediocre. Could be a begining... Looking at others and wanting his Lollipop like a stubborn dumb kid is exactly the kind of culture which leads United to being mediocre. Think about it.
You always makes these posts and end up running away when asked about the last trophies won by both teams.

When was the last time Dortmund won League and Manutd won the league?
When was the last time Dortmund won cup and ManUtd won the cup (not super cup btw)?
How many trophies did Dortmund won in last 5 and 10 years, compare that with ManUtd?

roonster09

Scout
Think its cause you transfered yourself slowly into a bank, which only focuses on sponsors and financial issues instead of focusing on football and whats going on on the pitch. Thinking to buy some players (better: names) and getting a coach is enough to play the best football in the world and to satisfy your own demanding to be the largest club of the world.

And now its up on a level where its gets started to be hilarious and embarrasing. Your city rival Shity got a coach who is reliable to build a squad and implement a style of play which you can rely on for years, while you are stil stuggling cause you bought only 3 players (names!) for an unreal amount of cash and got a coach who never functioned in terms of squadbuilding and implementing a longterm philosophy.
I cant see things changing for you. Youre attack is depending on a 35year old and a 18year old, your squad is totaly indifferent and doesnt fit to a certain system cause you didnt sort out and bought some players which are useable for what you want to invent this year and what you want to play the next years. Its a puzzling going on since years, and you have missed the opportunity to initiate a radical change.
If ever there was a post which is way off the mark then this surely will be nominated.

Blackwidow

Exactly. Its getting hilarious, over the years United fans and managers look at their own bad play and players, and then having a look at our style of play and wanted nearly everyone from us: Reus,Hummels,Klopp, and so on, i stoped counting at some point. Are you not embarrassed for yourself cause of that? It would be better for United to focuse on

- get yourself a system

In general: Just stop being mediocre. Could be a begining... Looking at others and wanting his Lollipop like a stubborn dumb kid is exactly the kind of culture which leads United to being mediocre. Think about it.
Or buy yourself into 1860 - or best about midfielders - scout the Rosenheim area... (they are all born in a 10km area - Weigl, Schweinsteiger and the Bender twins)

That first post today made me think about an article in the Sportbild??? this week in which Weigl told that he has to thank Schweinsteiger a lot as he really took care of him from the first moment he had in the national team - giving him tips etc. - and that he is in good contact with him...

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
You always makes these posts and end up running away when asked about the last trophies won by both teams.

When was the last time Dortmund won cup and ManUtd won the cup (not super cup btw)?
How many trophies did Dortmund won in last 5 and 10 years, compare that with ManUtd?
I dont mind your "trophy" question. What i mind is, that we play a magical beautiful football and keep developing (having the opportunity of a trohpy in every year and hopefully also in this season) while you -if you keep managing like all the last years- slowly turn into a joke of club and looking enviously on our football and our players, year after year.
What i mind, and thats important for me, is, that i never would look envy on your football or on a United player. And thats a point what you should mind ;):p

Skills

Snitch
I dont mind your "trophy" question. What i mind is, that we play a magical beautiful football and keep developing (having the opportunity of a trohpy in every year and hopefully also in this season) while you -if you keep managing like all the last years- slowly turn into a joke of club and looking enviously on our football and our players, year after year.
What i mind, and thats important for me, is, that i never would look envy on your football or on a United player. And thats a point what you should mind ;):p
Pretty sure there is no united fan that is envious of Dortmund. We are a bit envious of Bayern though (well I am). It would be beautiful to be in a position, where you can just pull your cock out and get your biggest rivals to blow you off on demand.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
That first post today made me think about an article in the Sportbild??? this week in which Weigl told that he has to thank Schweinsteiger a lot as he really took care of him from the first moment he had in the national team - giving him tips etc. - and that he is in good contact with him...
Great to have a nervous Bayern-fan in here, to discuss one of our great young players. To the Schweinsteiger connection: So iam glad that the only thing in Manchester which Schweinsteiger is in contact with is the golf course.

Red Stone

I believe Götze and Kagawa play in positions that are more likely to be "system-sensitive". IMO, central-midfielder positions like #6 or #8 are easier to adapt to different team-playstyles.
Well, Nuri Sahin looked world class at Dortmund when the team was built around playing to his strenghts.

roonster09

Scout
Bigger clubs look at players of smaller clubs, that's the rule of food chain.

My team won a meaningful trophy last season despite being shit. I don't know about others but I don't envy looking at Dortmund club, I like the football Dortmund plays but envy? Far from it. Who does about the club which can't hold on to their best players every season.

Varun

Staff
I think our strategy should be to first and foremost, buy Tuchel. Throw a cheque at him and say, "here, become the manager of the greatest club ever and get paid more than any manager ever has". He'll sign immediately thus giving us a solid start.

Then, we give him 5 chits of paper and ask him to write the names of any player he wants. Only one condition, these players have to be Reus, Auba, Weigl, Dembele and Guierrero. Then, we give these players a blank cheque each to secure their signature.

That's it really. We'll start playing magical beautiful football and winning trophies every season. United be back!

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
I think our strategy should be to first and foremost, buy Tuchel. Throw a cheque at him and say, "here, become the manager of the greatest club ever and get paid more than any manager ever has". He'll sign immediately thus giving us a solid start.

Then, we give him 5 chits of paper and ask him to write the names of any player he wants. Only one condition, these players have to be Reus, Auba, Weigl, Dembele and Guierrero. Then, we give these players a blank cheque each to secure their signature.

That's it really. We'll start playing magical beautiful football and winning trophies every season. United be back!
An ultra creative concept. Its that what people mean when they talk about a thing called "the United way"? tagline "embarrasing and hilarious".

But you forgot that at this point Bayerns would have bought everything before, including our stadium (we ve got the largest numbers of audience in Europe) ,our fans, and all the beer we have. Have a look at the article i posted.

Varun

Staff
An ultra creative concept. Its that what people mean when they talk about a thing called "the United way"? tagline "embarrasing and hilarious".

But you forgot that at this point Bayerns would have bought everything before, including our stadium (we ve got the largest numbers of audience in Europe) ,our fans, and all the beer we have. Have a look at the article i posted.
Who gives a feck about the United way. Money is power now. If Bayern try and meddle, we'll threaten to buy Muller and Coman. That'll shut them up. I think this is the best solution, the key being buying the manager too. That's where we've messed up so far. Just buying players isn't enough.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Who gives a feck about the United way. Money is power now. If Bayern try and meddle, we'll threaten to buy Muller and Coman. That'll shut them up. I think this is the best solution, the key being buying the manager too. That's where we've messed up so far. Just buying players isn't enough.
Your first sentence is a good headline for your clubs last years :lol:
You dont get that only "a manager" and "players" arent even enough to be a good runed club. "Money is power now" Yeah thatswhy you have been sooo powerful on the pitch the last years :lol: . Keep thinking like that and enjoy your downfall while watching great football in the CL on TV.

roonster09

Scout

Funny you always go on and on about Bayern when Dortmund are doing just that to smaller clubs. They are also buying from other clubs and I'm yet to see who all these "good" academy players you are talking about. I mean promoted now rather than decade ago like Reus and Sahin.

Devil may care

I knew the thread would bring that obnoxious Dortmund troll back out, funny comment about the Academy though given other than Gotze all of Dortmund's young talents have been hoovered up from other clubs, where as our matchday 11 often has 3 of our academy developed players in it.

As for the system, he would plug easily into the system we played on Wednesday, the system we should be playing every week, and if anything he'd get more defensive protection than he does at Dortmund where he can be often hung out to dry.

Skills

Snitch
Might be going on a limb but I reckon @slig is verging on a ban.

Good luck pal, if I'm correct. Please don't ever produce any offspring.

Varun

Staff
Your first sentence is a good headline for your clubs last years :lol:
You dont get that only "a manager" and "players" arent even enough to be a good runed club. "Money is power now" Yeah thatswhy you have been sooo powerful on the pitch the last years :lol: . Keep thinking like that and enjoy your downfall while watching great football in the CL on TV.
That's what, we've stuck to the United way long past its expiry date. Tell me this, does a lion simply hunt a deer when it needs food or develop a deer child till its big enough to satisfy his hunger? Clubs like Dortmund exist for a reason, that's for clubs like Bayern and United to have their players when they're ready. It's the same as what you do to lower German clubs. We've just got to say feck it to the other crap and simply buy players and most importantly, managers from clubs like yours. It's a solid plan imo.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Funny you always go on and on about Bayern when Dortmund are doing just that to smaller clubs. They are also buying from other clubs and I'm yet to see who all these "good" academy players you are talking about. I mean promoted now rather than decade ago like Reus and Sahin.
I dont mind what a United fan thinks of our acadamy. I know thats working great. But for you: Passlack as the last one comes in mind. Also Pulisic. We also had an eye for Weigl and were capable and brave enough to implement him (just like we will do with Dembele and Mor and Guerreiro). Creating a young player who is on a level for first class CL football is not easy, every player is a success. A young player for our level is rare and like the icing on the cake of your youth-work. Therefor the large amounts of players we released into the world of professional football in the last years is great (Dudziak,Bandowski,Leitner,Bittencourt, and so on).

Varun

Staff
Thats the point: i dont see any plan. While Bayern or us are having a plan in mind if they or we buy players.
Woah, I just told you the plan. Find the deers, gobble them up. The sole purpose of a deers life is to be eventually satisfy a lion's hunger after all.

Anyways, we digress. This is just the weigl thread after all. Let's hope he has a good season, don't want us spending money next summer on someone who doesn't quite cut it at the top level.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Let's hope he has a good season, don't want us spending money next summer on someone who doesn't quite cut it at the top level.
Nah, the other way around: dont think that Weigl will move to a club who doesn't quite cut it at the top level.

roonster09

Scout
I dont mind what a United fan thinks of our acadamy. I know thats working great. But for you: Passlack as the last one comes in mind. Also Pulisic. We also had an eye for Weigl and were capable and brave enough to implement him (just like we will do with Dembele and Mor and Guerreiro). Creating a young player who is on a level for first class CL football is not easy, every player is a success. A young player for our level is rare and like the icing on the cake of your youth-work. Therefor the large amounts of players we released into the world of professional football in the last years is great (Dudziak,Bandowski,Leitner,Bittencourt, and so on).
I'm not rating any academy, asking to name the players because you talk about it a lot.

Not sure why you named all the young players you brought for first team. I was asking about academy players.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
I'm not rating any academy, asking to name the players because you talk about it a lot.

Not sure why you named all the young players you brought for first team. I was asking about academy players.
Then the only one in the last year i could name is Passlack. Durm before. Pulisic was not at our acadamy since he was a kid, we bought him 2 years ago to our acadamy (But its also a thing to see him and develop him to the point he is now and really use him for the first squad). The others you crossed out cause of the timespan (Götze for example). Reus is something else: was in our acadamy since he was a kid, but as a grown youth he was abroad for some years.

roonster09

Scout
Then the only one in the last year i could name is Passlack. Durm before. Pulisic was not at our acadamy since he was a kid, we bought him 2 years ago to our acadamy (But its also a thing to see him and develop him to the point he is now and really use him for the first squad). The others you crossed out cause of the timespan (Götze for example). Reus is something else: was in our acadamy since he was a kid, but as a grown youth he was abroad for some years.
Durm was signed when he was 20 isnt it (at least as per internet). Not a lot to shit on Bayern like you did other day.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Durm was signed when he was 20 isnt it (at least as per internet). Not a lot to shit on Bayern like you did other day.
:drool: Ah youre right! Got him from Mainz i remember. Sorry for that. But as a striker, then turning him into a LB/RB in the youth i guess. But its like i posted before: We released a lot of young players into the 2. or 1. Bundesliga (or like Leitner into the Seria A), and the players who are good enough for us are the icing on the cake (Thatswhy iam so glad about Passlack and Pulisic, they are just great!). And in this terms Bayern is bad (think they only released Hoijlberg if iam right? And i dont know if he really was an acadamy player or if they bought him). I mean Leitner,Bittencourt,Hofmann,Dudziak,a goalkepper i dont remember his name, Bandowski, (there are more i guess) were all transfered from our youth into first teams of the Bundesliga or the 2.Bundesliga. Thats good.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
:lol: ask him again. You will find him on the tribune or the bench, asking himself or his agent some questions..
You won't. You'll find him trying to impress and adapt to a new team, formation, tactic setup etc. Ultimately, with the current United setup, Mkhi doesn't fit in that well. Perhaps he would do at #10 when Rooney's finally dropped.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
:drool: Ah youre right! Got him from Mainz i remember. Sorry for that. But as a striker, then turning him into a LB/RB in the youth i guess. But its like i posted before: We released a lot of young players into the 2. or 1. Bundesliga (or like Leitner into the Seria A), and the players who are good enough for us are the icing on the cake (Thatswhy iam so glad about Passlack and Pulisic, they are just great!). And in this terms Bayern is bad (think they only released Hoijlberg if iam right? And i dont know if he really was an acadamy player or if they bought him). I mean Leitner,Bittencourt,Hofmann,Dudziak,a goalkepper i dont remember his name, Bandowski, (there are more i guess) were all transfered from our youth into first teams of the Bundesliga or the 2.Bundesliga. Thats good.
Schöpf and Can of the top of my head.
Sansone as well.

Crossie

Supports

I think there's hardly a post displaying fundamental issues so nicely.

The key question IMHO is not how many trophies a club has won within the past but how solid and functional is the foundation of a club to reinvent and develop itself to keep up with the development of modern football - because that's all a club can influence.
If trophies and buying shiny new toys à la Fiorentino Perez are what matters most for you as a United supporter, fine, and I sincerely mean it. Fans enjoy and support clubs for different reasons, I accept that.
However, if I were a United fan, I wouldn't be content with United of the last 5-6 years because I come from an 'entertain and excite me with vibrant football' perspective. That's why I watch football, why I support my club, why Pep's Barcelona bored me to death, why SAF's United was for a long time mostly enjoyable to watch. How long ago though did United play a consecutive 5-6 matches exciting football? Watching paint to dry was more often than not more entertaining than watching United. ;)
At some point United will come back but although you've invested again in shiny names, I'm not sure how smart the investments were and pretty certain that United still lack what SAF stood for: A football identity which he bought or formed players for that suited this idea. That's where I fully agree with slig. Note that I admire Mourinho but think he and his style are not compatible with United and that the squad is not suited to him. Whether Mourinho is past his peak is a totally different debate but also not for this thread.

Sorry for the long off topic, back to Julian Weigl. :)

@slig
I guess we have different opinions on Weigl's performances this season but am confident we can agree to disagree. I don't say that he's been shite but hasn't delivered as he has been for us in the previous season. I'm neither concerned nor unhappy with that but find it perfectly normal for a guy of his age. Remember the first matches of the Rückrunde? He didn't shine as well and was benched or subbed on/off for some matches - and all of a sudden he came good again.
I'm more than happy how our kindergarten gang (Weigl, Passlack, Pulisic, Dembele, Mor) have performed so far, the kind of 'innocent' joy may of them exude on and off the pitch is infectious. But again, I find the hype around them unbearable. Give them time, time, and time again to develop without labels like 'next Busquets', 'American wonderkid', 'next Ronaldo', 'Turkish Messi', and without putting their every movement under global magnifying glasses.

Last edited:

Celestiale

- get yourself a system

trolling at it's best :lol:

Scouting works different at a big club, then at a small team like Dortmund. You can't just scout in Asia or eastern Europe/France for some small players, and throw them into the first team, when there are class players already in those positions. It's a "benefit" only poor clubs or clubs with poor opponents have.
Youth acadamy? You really want to go for our youth academy? Our youth academy is lightyears better then yours..alone in recent years we produced players like Pogba, Pique, Drinkwater, Pereira, Lingard, Rashford and co. 5th choice youth players from us go into other Premier league teams (Burnley/ Michael Keane) and boss their defense. And you are coming with players like Passlack or Durm :lol: hilarious.
Envy your players? You don't have a single player that would make our first team. We just bought your best player at a position we have around the least competition (qualitywise, not quantity). And he can't even make the first team. He was kept out of the first team by an academy product from our team by the way, before he got injured.:smirk:

A lot of things are not working as they should in our club, but those have nothing to do with the quality of our players or our academy.
Really made my day

Varun

Staff
:lol: ask him again. You will find him on the tribune or the bench, asking himself or his agent some questions..
Yep, questions about how much of a step up it really is moving from a small club like Dortmund to a huge one like ours. It's alright, he'll either buck up and settle here or you can have him in a couple of years at a discount like kagawa. Do polish Weigl up for us though, only fair.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
I think there's hardly a post displaying fundamental issues so nicely.

The key question IMHO is not how many trophies a club has won within the past but how solid and functional is the foundation of a club to reinvent and develop itself to keep up with the development of modern football - because that's all a club can influence.
If trophies and buying shiny new toys à la Fiorentino Perez are what matters most for you as a United supporter, fine, and I sincerely mean it. Fans enjoy and support clubs for different reasons, I accept that.
However, if I were a United fan, I wouldn't be content with United of the last 5-6 years because I come from an 'entertain and excite me with vibrant football' perspective. That's why I watch football, why I support my club, why Pep's Barcelona bored me to death, why SAF's United was for a long time mostly enjoyable to watch. How long ago though did United play a consecutive 5-6 matches exciting football? Watching paint to dry was more often than not more entertaining than watching United. ;)
At some point United will come back me although you've invested again in shiny names, I'm not sure how smart the investments were and pretty certain that United still lack what SAF stood for: A football identity which he bought or formed players for that suited this idea. That's where I fully agree with sli. Note that I admire Mourinho but think he and his style are not compatible with United and that the squad is not suited to him. Whether Mourinho is past his peak is a totally different debate but also not for this thread.
Spot on.

Sorry for the long off topic, back to Julian Weigl. :)

@slig
I guess we have different opinions on Weigl's performances this season but am confident we can agree to disagree. I don't say that he's been shite but hasn't delivered as he has been for us in the previous season. I'm neither concerned nor unhappy with that but find it perfectly normal for a guy of his age. Remember the first matches of the Rückrunde? He didn't shine as well and was benched or subbed on/off for some matches - and all of a sudden he came good again.
I'm more than happy how our kindergarten gang (Weigl, Passlack, Pulisic, Dembele, Mor) have performed so far, the kind of 'innocent' joy may of them exude on and off the pitch is infectious. But again, I find the hype around them unbearable. Give them time, time, and time again to develop without labels like 'next Busquets', 'American wonderkid', 'next Ronaldo', 'Turkish Messi', and without putting their every movement under global magnifying glasses.
Yeah, youre right, he struggled a bit in the Rückrunde and will stuggle at some point again, he is so young, its normal and i think if there is a club and fans who knows that, its the BVB. To you really think we create hype around them? I think the club is great in keeping the mouth shut, keep calm and isolate the players from such stuff, focusing on their development and not on stories around them. Let the media and stuff hype someone, if its Weigl or Dembele or Passlack or someone else, the example Weigl (especially last year) shows that we dont mind and keep doing great work.

So i agree with you that he stuggled in the Rückrunde, and needed time to adapt to the new players (Rode, Rapha, Dembele, Mor, Götze, Schürrle) but nothing what worries me. It will be interesting how he will develop this year. Cause you are right: the second year could be more tricky than the first for such young players.