Jurgen Klopp and Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiaboliQue

Dortmund have been excellent this season again, running away with the Bundesliga title for the second season in a row. All of that done with a total budget of 45 mil euros.

In a matter of weeks, they beat the second place Bayern, the third place Schalke and the fourth place M'gladbach. They are excellently organized and a lot of the credit should go to Jurgen Klopp for making it all happen. He seems to be tactically sound and a great motivator and leader. On top of that, he's very charismatic and has become one of my favorite managers recently. And all of this was achieved after losing their most important player from last year (Sahin) and with Gotze missing the majority of the season through injury.

While Dortmund's players may not be the most talented individuals, as a team they work great and complement each other nicely. Their two fullback remind me of old school fullbacks who got the job done with very little hassle, and their midfield has dominated most of the matches I've seen them in. Obviously, their Subotic-Hummels CB pairing has been one of the better combos in europe I would say.

Will be interesting to see how the cope in the CL next season. This year, they showed their inexperience at that level, but they also started the season rather poorly in Bundgesliga as well and only picked up around December, going on an impressive unbeaten run in Bundesliga. Will also be interesting to see if they can hold on to their players. Their support, home and away, is something else really.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I was very disappointed with them in the Champions League this season. I had been looking forward to seeing them going against non-German sides.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
It seems there is likely to be a good increase in the proportion of wages next year in light of improved contract for some players and incoming players. Shouldn't think its a huge problem for German clubs but I don't really know how is their financial clout vis a vis Bayern.

Werder Herzog

Well they already have Reus from Gladbach coming in, if they keep hold of the players already there they really will be a threat next season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't watch them (although I intend to start every other week) but whatever they're doing, I hope they build on it. Would be nice to have more 'big' clubs from Germany apart from Bayern.

Trionz

It seems there is likely to be a good increase in the proportion of wages next year in light of improved contract for some players and incoming players. Shouldn't think its a huge problem for German clubs but I don't really know how is their financial clout vis a vis Bayern.
Don't know exactly what for but they recently received some funds by Bayern.

You are right, improved deals will have increased their wage bill & they will have to do better in CL next season to manage that.

I am assuming that they are relying on demands for their players to bail themselves out incase they find their club in trouble.

NoLogo

Actually most of the players have gotten a wage rise already and the budget of 45 mio. includes most renewed contracts and the one for Reus next season.

Kagawa and Lewandowski are due to a pay rise and a new contract and have been offered new contracts with improved conditions.

Kagawa has been reluctant to sign so far for what ever reason is unknown even though the papers are suggesting he is after a big money move to the PL.

Lewandowski will probably sign a new contract at the end of the season even though Bayern are rumored to be interested in signing him.

letranger0

Dortmund are in a good financial position. It's more that the memories of their near bankruptcy and the events leading up to that are still very much in the Dortmund-consciousness. This has led to some mild unease now that their wage bill is rising again. However, Aki Watzke and the rest of the top brass have been very vocal in preaching a new era of fiscal responsibility, and I think their financial situation is more a case of perception rather than reality; as I said, I think in reality their financial situation is perfectly fine.

As for Kloppo, I rate him very, very highly. I think he has a perfect combination of tactical intelligence and motivational ability, in addition to a real passion for the game and a desire to win. I would love to see him at Old Trafford one day. The only thing I think he needs to do is take some English lessons, because at least the last time I saw an interview of his in English, his English was pretty bad.

NoLogo

Since moving to the "Ruhrpott" 4 years ago Dortmund has grown on me a lot.

It's a 10 minute train ride for me to get to Dortmund and another 10 minutes with the subway to get to the stadium quite comfortable to go to their games a few times every year.

I have to say the atmosphere in Dortmunds stadium is probably the best in Germany and it's quite impressive to see the "yellow wall" in action.

So everyone from England interested to come and see a Bundesliga game. Dortmund is pretty much my Nr.1 recommendation for every visitor.

On top of the good atmosphere you will usually see exciting football with Dortmund usually pressing and attacking for the full 90 minutes.

The only real weakness in their game is that they often tend to miss a lot of sitters and usually tend to make it hard on themselves but as United supporters we should be used to the style of "doing it the hard way".

Even though they clearly have quite a few very talented players in their squad Klopp is the piece of the puzzle that makes this team tick.

He is an excellent motivator and I really like the style of football that his team plays.

When his team gets out on the field they usually explode from the first second taking charge of the game and only occasionally letting go it.

Given all that it is kinda strange that Dortmund seams to be unable to translate this playing style into the European competitions they played in over the last years.

Maybe it's due to them being a very young team overall or maybe that they need to change their style when playing in Europe but I guess only next season will tell if they can learn from their mistakes and improve in Europe or if they will again fail to translate their good performances into CL.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I want to see if his side can have more of an impact in Europe next season. They did very well last season and I was expecting them to actually go and do quite while, but it never materialsed in the end.

They did do very well to go on and win the league again this year. I think nearly everyone felt that Bayern would bounce back and win it this year, with that looking like a real possibility earlier in the season.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I used to like them in late nineties, especially Lars Ricken. Always played good football and were winning trophies as well. But what is happening at the moment baffles me a little bit. As you may know, big part of their core is made of Polish footballers, i.e Jakub Błaszczykowski, Łukasz Piszczek, Robert Lewandowski. The amount of ******** in newspapers and generally mass media ha been unbearable ever since they came there.

It's easily available here to watch majority of their league games, so what I'm trying to imply is not something that I'm making up. They've been hyped to be a top european side this season, which they are not. They're about Tottenham leve, which they won't take as an insult, of tham I am sure. Few weeks ago, while still in newbie, there was a thread in which many posters claimed they were of United's quality. What can you say? I mean how can you defend your view if someone tells you 'we would do with Robert Lewandowski or Łukasz Piszczek'? They are my fellow countrymen, and even I won't stick my neck to say anything like that. For the record Piszczek, next to Błaszczykowski are my favourite Polish players, if I ever had ones. I've followed Lewandowski's progress, as he played for Lech Poznań, and he is nowhere near good enough for a top team. Not at the moment anyway. However, I am of the opinion that Błaszczykowski would become somewhat useful player for a team like Everton/Newcastle and then maybe go on from there.

Bundesliga itself, is suffering from extremes of perceptions. From being massively underrated, now it is hugely overrated (Lewandowski's 3rd best goalscorer there, would he be in PL, La Liga, heck it, even in Serie A?) I know it's a lazy argument but you get the point. They have fantastic support and are admirable club as far as their organisation goes. They can build on from there.

Borussia need to make a step forward, the smallest step, yet the hardest step to make. They don't possess as good a team as to compete with absolutely top sides in Europe. Certainly not year in year out. This year UCL was their priority from what I've read, and seen, be it by occasionally fielding weaker side before CL games or visibly less direct/serious/tiring approach in those prior games. Yet, they ended up looking glaringly lacking that extra something. That saying, I still have a soft spot for them, Jurgen Klopp is a brilliant manager, fantastic man-manager as well. But I beg for some reasonable take on them, they are not quite there yet.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Don't know exactly what for but they recently received some funds by Bayern.

You are right, improved deals will have increased their wage bill & they will have to do better in CL next season to manage that.

I am assuming that they are relying on demands for their players to bail themselves out incase they find their club in trouble.
Actually most of the players have gotten a wage rise already and the budget of 45 mio. includes most renewed contracts and the one for Reus next season.

Kagawa and Lewandowski are due to a pay rise and a new contract and have been offered new contracts with improved conditions.

Kagawa has been reluctant to sign so far for what ever reason is unknown even though the papers are suggesting he is after a big money move to the PL.

Lewandowski will probably sign a new contract at the end of the season even though Bayern are rumored to be interested in signing him.
I guess it isn't a problem at present but it would necessarily be dictated by their income. Any idea of how is it?
Player sale definitely is an option with Klopp seemingly agreeable to Kagawa's sale in a recent interview.

NoLogo

Congratulations to Dortmund on a record breaking season and the first double in the clubs history.

Now it's time for the next stage in the development and time to show they can get far in Europe while still challenging for national tiles along the way.

I really would love if we considered Klopp as successor to Fergie he showed he can develop a quality team for a fairly small amount of money and has a good hand with young players which might be exactly what we need for the future.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He seems too have a very good relationship with his players too.

The way he was cuddling Langerak before he was subbed on just shows how he is almost like a big brother too his younger players.

I think hes fantastic and has been a breathe of fresh air; glad to see them doing so well.

Hope he stays there for a while and doesnt jump ship too a bigger club too early

stubie

This Dortmund team looks the business

They have the potential to eclipse the 1997 team

NoLogo

He seems too have a very good relationship with his players too.

The way he was cuddling Langerak before he was subbed on just shows how he is almost like a big brother too his younger players.

I think hes fantastic and has been a breathe of fresh air; glad to see them doing so well.

Hope he stays there for a while and doesnt jump ship too a bigger club too early
I'm pretty sure he won't. He really loves working for Dortmund and is a very down to earth guy.

If anything it would be a really hard thing to get him to leave Dortmund in the near future.

I also loved his response when he was asked about the rumor that Chelsea wants him for next season.

He broke in laughter and said: "Chelsea? No thanks. Abramovich can spare himself the trouble of calling me I'm going no where next season."

That was shortly before he signed his contract extension with Dortmund. He is someone how needs an atmosphere of trust and a reliable stable work environment where he can build a long term project so I doubt he would go to a club like Chelsea where he would have a mad man like Abramovich in his back all the time.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Have heard a lot of good things about him and his motivational abilities. What chance Liverpool trying to tempt him into the premiership?

ps. No I haven't forgotten Rafa also won two La Ligas ahead of Real and we know how that turned out for us.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Have heard a lot of good things about him and his motivational abilities. What chance Liverpool trying to tempt him into the premiership?

ps. No I haven't forgotten Rafa also won two La Ligas ahead of Real and we know how that turned out for us.
Can't see KKK getting the sack really, I imagine he will get another season. Even if he did I should think that Klopp would be holding out for a bigger job, Chelsea might not be a bad shout.

NoLogo

I don't think we will see Klopp leave Dortmund in the near future and even though I'm sure a club with Liverpools history might tempt Klopp if they make the right promises that aren't necessarily monetary.

It might even be the case that he isn't going to leave the Bundesliga at all and will end up at Bayern in a few years even though it's not that likely either.

He isn't a guy that is easily tempted by things like money and according to how he talks about Dortmund he really loves the club and the atmosphere around the club with it's huge support base around the Dortmund area.

So in the near future I can't see him leave Dortmund at all and I think even we would have a hard time getting him when SAF retires.

The situation might change in a few years but atm I personally can't see him go anywhere.

mufcwarm92

Hummels has been an absolute revelation over the last few years. Bayern must be kicking themselves for letting him go - he's probably the best defender in Germany now.

NoLogo

Hummels has been an absolute revelation over the last few years. Bayern must be kicking themselves for letting him go - he's probably the best defender in Germany now.
The funny thing is they thought he was to injury prone and let him go because of that.

He essentially had some injury trouble in the first two seasons but has been pretty injury free over the last two seasons.

The funny thing is Dortmund essentially did a huge miscalculation when the released Reus from their youth because they thought he wasn't physically capable to play in the Bundesliga.

A miss judgement which essentially cost them 17 mio. €.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I don't watch this Dortmund side nearly enough, so does anyone know how much Klopp has spent assembling this side & what their net spend has been over the past 3-5 years?

Everyone is debating Mourinho or Pep, but how does Klopp compare for the Bundesliga watching Cafeteers? He's certainly making Mancini look like a spoilt, clueless, rich kid.

Guy Incognito

Great manager, great club. Still annoyed about 1997 but it would be nice to see this Dortmund team produce a similar run.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Haven't watched today's match but it's obvious that he's an excellent manager. Has managed to usurp Bayern as Germany's best team. Still only 45, could be a dark horse for the next United manager.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Deserved to win - ridiculous sport football is at times.

NoLogo

I don't watch this Dortmund side nearly enough, so does anyone know how much Klopp has spent assembling this side & what their net spend has been over the past 3-5 years?

Everyone is debating Mourinho or Pep, but how does Klopp compare for the Bundesliga watching Cafeteers? He's certainly making Mancini look like a spoilt, clueless, rich kid.
They haven't spend much since basically they haven't had a lot of money these past years.

Last year was the first time they splashed some money on Reus but that was essentially the money they got for Kagawa.

I'll have a look at their net spend and post it here.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
They haven't spend much since basically they haven't had a lot of money these past years.

Last year was the first time they splashed some money on Reus but that was essentially the money they got for Kagawa.

I'll have a look at their net spend and post it here.
Lol.

Net spend since Klopp took over in 2008.

7.810.000 €

Friggin hell.
:eek:

Thanks dude. Amazing stuff.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
I know it's never gonna happen but once Fergie eventualy leaves if I had to pick a sucessor I'd look no further than Kloop, he'd definitely be my #1 choice, and I've been saying it for about a year.

They've got a real quality team and the football they can play is right up there with the best. Klopp is definitely someone to keep an eye on. The transformation he's brought to the club is very impressive. I've missed watching a strong Dortmund team competing at the highest level.

NoLogo

I know it's never gonna happen but once Fergie eventualy leaves if I had to pick a sucessor I'd look no further than Kloop, he'd definitely be my #1 choice, and I've been saying it for about a year.
I would love that to happen as well. Especially since I think Klopp is one of these manager who actually likes staying at one club for a long time and build something really good.

dr.twinny

Love his tenacious personality and the rapport he has with his players and the fans. I could see him being a hit at OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.