Film Justice League

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I have to say with Suicide Squad the version I saw in the cinema was pretty bad. The directors cut I felt was actually pretty good. Justice League seems like it’s been heavily cut(someone’s taken a machete to it whilst blindfolded and on crystal meth) so I’m hoping their is a directors cut for that as well. Some things like Affleck and Ezra being rubbish just can’t be fixed tho.
Well I've also just noticed that not only is a sequel planned for SS, there are 3 spin-offs in various stages of pre-prod as well :lol: So I guess there must be some demand for it.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I dont want to conform with what, I think, society wants after the shambles that was BvS and the Suicide movie but this was a joke in so many ways. Holy shit, it was bad.

It felt so uncoordinated like a few random scenes filmed over centuries put together to make an awful montage of a film. The CGI was horrendous which does the film no justice (no pun intended) as its 90% CGI.

Steppenwolf was an awful villain. God knows what the feck he was trying to achieve - was he dead, was he alive, is his mum a box? Barry Allen was too much of a joke. So much forced humour, I forgot to laugh. Superman coming back to life was shit and they probably should not have killed him in the first place. Love conquers all... obviously. It would have been funnier if Bruce said " we need to save Martha".

Gal Gadot is amazing. The Flash scenes were awesome. Loved the moment where Superman eyes were as quick as the Flash. Aquaman and the truth scene was hilarious. Cyborg was the best character. Seeing Deathstroke was pretty fecking cool.

The rest of the movie felt rubbish. No cohesion at all. Whilst everyone hated BvS, I thought they did so well in building up the entire universe. However, this was a massive let down. In an age of origin stories, this movie seriously lacked one. Where the feck did Cyborg come from? How did Flash get his suit?

Finally, where the hell was the scene from the trailer where Alfred says "lets hope youre not too late" Seriously underwhelming film.

Ubik

SS made a shitload of money. And that's all that matters.
That's true. Still, I'm not sure how much repeat business it'll do if they're not well reviewed again. I saw it last time and won't be going next time if it's the same old story. It'll be interesting to see how JL does this weekend in that respect.
I dont want to conform with what, I think, society wants after the shambles that was BvS and the Suicide movie but this was a joke in so many ways. Holy shit, it was bad.

It felt so uncoordinated like a few random scenes filmed over centuries put together to make an awful montage of a film. The CGI was horrendous which does the film no justice (no pun intended) as its 90% CGI.

Steppenwolf was an awful villain. God knows what the feck he was trying to achieve - was he dead, was he alive, is his mum a box? Barry Allen was too much of a joke. So much forced humour, I forgot to laugh. Superman coming back to life was shit and they probably should not have killed him in the first place. Love conquers all... obviously. It would have been funnier if Bruce said " we need to save Martha".

Gal Gadot is amazing. The Flash scenes were awesome. Loved the moment where Superman eyes were as quick as the Flash. Aquaman and the truth scene was hilarious. Cyborg was the best character. Seeing Deathstroke was pretty fecking cool.

The rest of the movie felt rubbish. No cohesion at all. Whilst everyone hated BvS, I thought they did so well in building up the entire universe. However, this was a massive let down. In an age of origin stories, this movie seriously lacked one. Where the feck did Cyborg come from? How did Flash get his suit?

Finally, where the hell was the scene from the trailer where Alfred says "lets hope youre not too late" Seriously underwhelming film.
Aw man, now I wanna go see.

Also

So the "he said you'd come" thing didn't happen?

Di Maria's angel

Looking like a 7/10... Hopefully.

See, the Nolan trilogy isn't a masterpiece for me. The first was decent and the last was pants. Dark Knight is great tho.

Wonder Woman was decent. MoS was better (I like it), and BvS expended cut is decent too. DC is a mixed bag but I tend to like the style and the action so I'm okay with it. Marvel movies have a few really great ones but they're a mixed bag too.

They're comic book movies with super heroes so tbh I just want to be entertained. I'm not looking for character development, Oscar worthy scripts, or Oscar worthy performances, or even lots of humour. Those things can be nice but they're what can make an already great film better.

If there's no dumb action, and special effects, with crazy fights and powers what's the point? Think back to all the movies you watched growing up and think about how many of them would be criticized to fcuk nowadays. We had those fast forward buttons and they'd get used sometimes....

Different times...

I reckon I'm going to enjoy this stoned :drool:
Nah...

The Nolan trilogy was a beyond a master piece. The man made a "movie" from a super hero character. Something, imo, that has never been done before and will never happen again. He brought back to life a legend that was almost killed back in 90s.

Batman begins was a brilliant origin story where he perfectly depicted the creation of this character. We know how he became the Batman, we know why he became the Batman and everything was manufactured in the most logical way possible.

Dark Knight, whilst not my favourite, was an incredible film. Not much more needs to be said. Heath Ledger. The Joker. Two Face. Two infamous villains brilliantly illustrated in one film.

Rises wasnt as great, it was a little rushed. However, it was burdened by the fact that it had to follow in the footsteps of one of the best films of its decade (maybe longer).

Theres so much more I could say about this trilogy. It was beautiful. Some of the scenes were just amazing to eye. One of my favourite scenes ever was the Joker chasing Harvey Dent. The backdrop was amazing. The stunts were legit. The way the music kicks in was :drool:.

Also, did I mention Hans Zimmer? Has there ever been a better movie soundtrack? I think not.

Di Maria's angel

That's true. Still, I'm not sure how much repeat business it'll do if they're not well reviewed again. I saw it last time and won't be going next time if it's the same old story. It'll be interesting to see how JL does this weekend in that respect.

Also

Apologies, I should spoiler that post. And
No that didnt happen. fecking shit trailer

Borden

Also

Yep, that could be a problem for DC. I'm with you, I saw BvS, and I won't be spending any more money on this franchise, at least not until I'm convinced they've gotten their shit together (which won't happen as long as Snyder is in charge).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'll say this for BvS and Suicide Squad, they at least managed to retrospectively raise my opinion of Man of Steel.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Nah...

The Nolan trilogy was a beyond a master piece. .

Tbf, the 3rd film is pretty pants, narratively. But what’s mitigates that slightly is how masterfully made it is. The fact it relied on thousands of extras and huge expensive practical props does somewhat offset the daftness of its script. Especially as the previous films had laid enough thematic and character groundwork to create a certain degree of investment in the goings on, however silly they were.

I mean, when all those thousands of people charge towards each other on Wall Street, you’re not thinking how barmy the situation that lead them there is, because the scene has enough tangible weight and dramatic tension within itself to carry you through... When a weightless CGI pixie floats around a cartoon colour graded sky to vanquish a faceless evil pixel monster, you’re naturally less invested in the scene, and more likely to question the bonkers plotting that preceded it.

What Marvel do well is balance their tensionless CGI end-battles with well established character drama. But if you have neither the personal investment, nor the cinematic heft, you’ve got little more than an empty computer game cut scene.

And saying “hey, it’s just comics”’ doesnt fly either, as even when you read comics you’re automatically adding this gravitas and poignance to the panels in your head. Just as you imagine the voices, or the unspoken thoughts, like you would with any book. When someone just puts the panels on screen with a bunch of floaty CGI, they’re not “brining it to life” as much as they’re taking away any nuance it may have had.

That's true. Still, I'm not sure how much repeat business it'll do if they're not well reviewed again.
BvS had one of the biggest second week drops offs ever, for reference.

Last edited:

Di Maria's angel

Tbf, the 3rd film is pretty pants, narratively. But what’s mitigates that slightly is how masterfully made it is. The fact it relied on thousands of extras and huge expensive practical props does somewhat offset the daftness of its script. Especially as the previous films had laid enough thematic and character groundwork to create a certain degree of investment in the goings on, however silly they were.

I mean, when all those thousands of people charge towards each other on Wall Street, you’re not thinking how barmy the situation that lead them there is, because the scene has enough tangible weight and dramatic tension within itself to carry you through... When a weightless CGI pixie floats around a cartoon colour graded sky to vanquish a faceless evil pixel monster, you’re naturally less invested in the scene, and more likely to question the bonkers plotting that preceded it.

What Marvel do well is balance their tensionless CGI end-battles with well established character drama. But if you have neither the personal investment, nor the cinematic heft, you’ve got little more than an empty computer game cut scene.

And saying “hey, it’s just comics”’ doesnt fly either, as even when you read comics you’re automatically adding this gravitas and poignance to the panels in your head. Just as you imagine the voices, or the unspoken thoughts, like you would with any book. When someone just puts the panels on screen with a bunch of floaty CGI, they’re not “brining it to life” as much as they’re taking away any nuance it may have had.

BvS had one of the biggest second week drops offs ever, for reference.
Yeah agreed. Seems a little weird that Nolan, of all people, directed a story which made so little sense not just as a standalone but also within the context of the small universe he, himself, created.

I love the fact that Nolan minimises the use of CGI in comparison to someone like Snyder. Ive seen the BTS footage for the trilogy and its astonishing just how much work went it to the opening (which was inredible) scene. Its not that bad a film, it simply doesnt meet that standards set by its predecesor. And, tbf, the league of shadows is a little crazy so you cant put bombing Gotham past them.

Andersons Dietician

Well I've also just noticed that not only is a sequel planned for SS, there are 3 spin-offs in various stages of pre-prod as well :lol: So I guess there must be some demand for it.
Yeah, Gotham Sirens which will be Catwoman, Harley and Ivy in some comic capers. Then there is some joker Harley origin story I believe. Also a rumour there will be a dead shot movie then SS2.
Seriously tho the directors cut makes far more sense and is just a better movie. No amount of editing can sort Cara Delevingnes acting tho.

Another saving grace as I imagine he’ll be in them in some part, Affleck is supposedly done and being replaced with Jake Gyllenhaal.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Jesus Christ, how someone can’t see that for all its plot holes, The Dark Knight was well made at least while the Zach Snyder ones weren’t only having a bad story but also suffered from poor directing and just ... film making is beyond me.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Holy crap a discussion about critics and criticising them and such zzz

Anyway saw the movie in 4DX, that was quite some thing. Glad I finished my food before the movie started

The one thing I'm hoping from this is that superman is much more light and hope which seems to be the direction they are going, which is well overdue

I do think aquaman and cyborg movie needed to be done before this, not so much flash

I thought Ezra did a good job. So used to grant right now but Ezra played it well in his own way.

I had no issues with the villain or the effects, it was the movie I was expecting. As i said before it could have been better but probbaly the second best dcu movie (I know not saying much).

@Ish what did you think?

Also, the post credit scenes were nice esp the second one
Aye, watched it yesterday and I quite enjoyed it. You’re spot on about cyborg and aquaman having needed a movie before this. The first half of the movie almost feels rushed and incoherent - snipping between the different characters and trying to give them some sort of background/screentime etc.

I’d probably give it a 6.5 or thereabouts. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good entertainment.

Di Maria's angel

Aye, watched it yesterday and I quite enjoyed it. You’re spot on about cyborg and aquaman having needed a movie before this. The first half of the movie almost feels rushed and incoherent - snipping between the different characters and trying to give them some sort of background/screentime etc.

I’d probably give it a 6.5 or thereabouts. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good entertainment.
Your first paragraph is the problem with the film. How can spend 45 minutes of your film trying to explain the backgrounds in this utterly confusing way? I understand that theyre playing catch up to Marvel but this movie was the worst of the lot. So disappointing.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Your first paragraph is the problem with the film. How can spend 45 minutes of your film trying to explain the backgrounds in this utterly confusing way? I understand that theyre playing catch up to Marvel but this movie was the worst of the lot. So disappointing.
It definitely wasn’t SS bad though. It’s definitely rushed. I still enjoyed it. But then again I liked BvS to a certain degree as well.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
DC fans should be thankful for Nolan... anything since his trilogy in this universe has been a utter shitfest. Found man of steel boring, couldn't get through the new bat man, fell asleep during Suicide Squad and this looks woeful as well.

Can't imagine Wonder Woman being any different tbh.

Ubik

Yeah, Gotham Sirens which will be Catwoman, Harley and Ivy in some comic capers. Then there is some joker Harley origin story I believe. Also a rumour there will be a dead shot movie then SS2.
Seriously tho the directors cut makes far more sense and is just a better movie. No amount of editing can sort Cara Delevingnes acting tho.

Another saving grace as I imagine he’ll be in them in some part, Affleck is supposedly done and being replaced with Jake Gyllenhaal.
Jake Gyllenhaal's voice for Batman... hmm. Would've been an interesting dynamic with Ledger's Joker. Leto's version I could do with never happening again.

Di Maria's angel

It definitely wasn’t SS bad though. It’s definitely rushed. I still enjoyed it. But then again I liked BvS to a certain degree as well.
Think people put too much weight into SS. To me, its a joke and nothing more. I wouldnt even put any consideration into it. I want to look toward something to say "oh, I enjoyed that part" but, other than Gal Gadot, I cant think of anything that was entertaining.

Sylar

Yeh same rating, i had fun, got what I was expecting but thought it could have been much better

Standalone movies for lesser known characters imo were needed
I get superman and Batman not needing them but cyborg and aquaman defo needed it first

Like, why can he talk to fish? What makes him an aquaman? Who are these atlantians they mention?
For non comic book people this would be a lot to take and accept

Andersons Dietician

Jake Gyllenhaal's voice for Batman... hmm. Would've been an interesting dynamic with Ledger's Joker. Leto's version I could do with never happening again.
Haha I keep harking back to this, but having hated him in the feature movie again with the extra scenes he just seems a lot better and darker. Their story for me is one of DC’s best bits of source material so hopefully they do something intresting with it.

Another problem going forward tho is Ledgers Joker is iconic and an absolute standout that it’ll be an impossible standard to live to. Although the guy playing the joker on the Tv Series Gotham is awesome.

SSSSnake

Horrible film and should have been expecting this really. Had to laugh at the classic black man line from Cyborg “Booyah!”

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Although the guy playing the joker on the Tv Series Gotham is awesome.
I caught a bit of that on Netflix and must admit he was very good. Easily identifiable without stepping on the other portrayals, or trying too hard to differentiate him by giving him something dumb like, oh I dunno, tattoos and a 6 pack.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeh same rating, i had fun, got what I was expecting but thought it could have been much better

Standalone movies for lesser known characters imo were needed
I get superman and Batman not needing them but cyborg and aquaman defo needed it first

Like, why can he talk to fish? What makes him an aquaman? Who are these atlantians they mention?
For non comic book people this would be a lot to take and accept
Yeah agree with that.

Mindhunter

Watched the movie, it was pretty good. Second half was a bit rushed and a bit meh. Didn’t seem like a lot was at stake.

I don’t get the severe criticism though. This is how superhero movies with multiple characters turn out to be.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The superhero films that I have really enjoyed are:

Captain America Winter Soldier
Deadpool
Logan
Guardians 1

Are Ragnarok or Justice League as good as those?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Just watched this. Absolutely pointless, I don't know what I expected. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic but I've got excited with that cast. The CGI stuff was so badly drawn, and the chromakey on a couple of WW shots was so bloody obvious :lol:

Haven't seen the previous one though, which one was it, BvS, I assume, since they referenced it a lot, maybe if I watched it before it would've been a tad better.

Jericholyte2

Managed to do less than $100m at US opening weekend!

Looks like it may be curtains for the DCEU.

Shame cause I really want to see Cavill get another shot at a great Superman movie.

Sylar

They should just hand DCU over to Patty Jenkins.

I always worry when movies directors are changed (whatever the reason) and then we hear of re-shoots.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Managed to do less than $100m at US opening weekend!

Looks like it may be curtains for the DCEU.

Shame cause I really want to see Cavill get another shot at a great Superman movie.
It’s done nearly $300 million in 3 days at the global box office. DCEU is far from dead.

They just need a rethink.

Ubik

I always worry when movies directors are changed (whatever the reason) and then we hear of re-shoots.
$20m worth especially, or whatever the final figure was. Implies they lost a grip of it really quite badly. And they can't just blame Snyder for that, either.

fellaini's barber

Why? Wonder Woman was shite, everybody just loves it because Gal Gadot and because female director= women empowerment or something

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Why? Wonder Woman was shite, everybody just loves it because Gal Gadot and because female director= women empowerment or something
I didn't love it but the film (well until the final act) was much better than BvS and Suicide Squad. Felt like a step in the right direction.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Saw this last night. Shite enough. It's basically just one of the Avenger films, only not as good.

Donut

It's quite meh. Weak villain, forced humor, plot holes,...

But I loved this song adaptation:

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

It's quite meh. Weak villain (Superman toyed with him), forced humor, plot holes,...

But I loved this song adaptation:

That is a tune. When it came on I took a mental note that I needed to find it I just have been too lazy.
There was another good song. I’ll have to go do some detective work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy_Cole

Is this what a guilty pleasure is? I’ve loved all of Snyders DC films, MoS, BvS and now this, however this was the worst (probably because he didn’t finish it!).

Enjoyed the post credit scene too.