Film Justice League

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
In fairness, studios will always get involved with the run time unless a director has the clout to demand final cut. But it again points towards a really badly planned shoot, as that's a hell of a lot of wasted money on the cutting room floor.

reelworld

Yep. It also didn’t help that the entire second half of the movie was just invincible people fighting and destroying everything around them. 5 minutes of that would have sufficed.
It's also such a waste having a great actor in Michael Shannon and you regressed him into a CGI character. I'd argue that Zod has a much better character development than Superman which is crazy given more amount of screen time is given to Superman.
Snyder knows how to shoot a scene, but he doesn’t have a clue about character development and getting you to care about the characters, or how to build tension, which makes his films emotionally sterile and soulless.
This explain why he's great at trailers, and not anything else
I did like Watchmen though.
Probably his best work to date.

I just don't understand why DC is so afraid to embrace the comics materials. One of the reason Nolan's Batman was so well received is that he took the good stuff from some of the best Batman comics to date, and combined it well.
Superman's origin has been told numerous times in the comics, and you could just pick the best ones and start from there, instead of the half arsed version we see on MoS

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
DC fans should be thankful for Nolan... anything since his trilogy in this universe has been a utter shitfest. Found man of steel boring, couldn't get through the new bat man, fell asleep during Suicide Squad and this looks woeful as well.

Can't imagine Wonder Woman being any different tbh.
Wonder Woman was good (for your typical superhero movie). I enjoyed it far more than overhyped Marvel films (like Avengers etc.) and heavily criticised DC films (Batman vs Superman). But it is basically mostly serious and heroic so you may not like it.

The Batman trilogy was, for me, on a different level to all the other superhero films - whether Marvel or DC. When it comes Marvel I've liked GOTG and Deadpool and in DC I've liked WW and absolutely loved Batman. They were genuinely good films (apart from the third) unlike the others which are either just a decent/good time or average.

Hawks2008

Didn't mind it tbh. I liked the characters, Batman and Wonder Woman were both pretty good and Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg seem decent so far. As for the film itself, lots of it felt disjointed and it was easy to spot which scenes were the reshot ones. Lots of green screen and CGI which kinda annoys me in general ( I prefer a good mix of CGI and practical rather than using CGI as a crutch). It wasn't great but it wasn't awful and it seems like a step in the right direction so long as they keep Zack Snyder away.

Loved the Legion of Doom/Injustice League tease in the post-credits scene. Deathstroke is a cool addition to this universe.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Wonder Woman was good (for your typical superhero movie). I enjoyed it far more than overhyped Marvel films (like Avengers etc.) and heavily criticised DC films (Batman vs Superman). But it is basically mostly serious and heroic so you may not like it.

The Batman trilogy was, for me, on a different level to all the other superhero films - whether Marvel or DC. When it comes Marvel I've liked GOTG and Deadpool and in DC I've liked WW and absolutely loved Batman. They were genuinely good films (apart from the third) unlike the others which are either just a decent/good time or average.
Seems like you have similar views to me so I will give WW a try.

Sylar

I might have been swayed by Gal Gadot's hotness to be fair.
Without spoiling it too much for Raees, there was one badass scene I really loved halfway through the set (the trench one). It was just so much badass.
Have you tried Thor: Ragnarok? I reckon you will really enjoy that if you liked GoTG. Has same sort of tone to it.

Andy_Cole

Didn't mind it tbh. I liked the characters, Batman and Wonder Woman were both pretty good and Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg seem decent so far. As for the film itself, lots of it felt disjointed and it was easy to spot which scenes were the reshot ones. Lots of green screen and CGI which kinda annoys me in general ( I prefer a good mix of CGI and practical rather than using CGI as a crutch). It wasn't great but it wasn't awful and it seems like a step in the right direction so long as they keep Zack Snyder away.

Loved the Legion of Doom/Injustice League tease in the post-credits scene. Deathstroke is a cool addition to this universe.
Really want to see an injustice league. Don’t care when the villain is a bunch of aliens. But if it’s a team of villains I’m sold. I thought that’s why they did suicide squad, to build up to the team of villains vs justice league.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
In terms of the money i think a lot will have to do with the reshoots by Joss Whedon.

Their biggest problem is that both DC and MCU are so similar. Just looking up Steppenwolf on wikipedia I saw he was created by Jack Kirby (who created The Avengers for Marvel with Stan Lee). So many of the characters are similar and it really was a case of whoever got the ensemble movie to the screen first was going to win (just by the pure spectacle of all of them together).
That's one of the issues to be fair, Thanos for example who Marvel have already introduced was a rip off of Darkseid who DC are now introducing. They're very similar in appearance and powers and when he eventually comes to screen people will think that they're copying Marvel. The characters are very similar. Both brands ripped off characters from the other over the years so bringing out their own films are very samey.

The biggest issue with superhero films is that they're just impossible to create a story for without having gaping plot holes that everybody will then pick up on and criticise the film for. You cannot have someone like Superman who is essentially a god, not beat the shit out of a bad guy in half a second without it being a plot hole. You cannot have someone like The Flash who can run 13 trillion times the speed of light, not just run in and save the day and run out before someone blinks. Any time that anything happens that isn't that, it's a plot hole. Look at Suicide Squad for example, there were a hundred criticisms of the film along the lines of 'the witch can teleport, why doesn't she just teleport out of the way' and that goes for characters like The Flash. If that was you in that situation, you'd have done it already. The film would be over in 0.5s.

Then these movies have to build a villain up by showing him showcase his power and look badass, but then he can never use that power again because if he does he'll kill the human superhero and obviously that can't happen, so plot hole. They make a villain that can slap Superman, essentially a god about and then why would you ever believe that Batman would pose a threat. You just can't really write a superhero movie in a way that somebody else can't pick plot holes out of. I just go to these things expecting to see some cool feats on screen from characters I grew up loving. I'd drive myself crazy picking out plot holes that were obvious from the beginning.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Re removing Snyder, or rebooting DCEU....

I actually hope they don't, not many have problems with the style and direction it seems to mostly be writing and characters etc. Get Snyder some help and keep it moving....

I know some will come in and disagree, but honestly, there's a chance that a clean slate may not fix any of the issues... You may come up with something that turns off the people that do like (to varying degrees) the previous movies, and fail at winning over any new fans (the ones complaining and requesting change).

Fix what you have, destroy and rebuild is a bad idea for me.

Agreed with @GBBQ and @Zarlak too btw, but I feel like I'm going around in circles on that argument (ain't that right @Mockney).

GBBQ

That's one of the issues to be fair, Thanos for example who Marvel have already introduced was a rip off of Darkseid who DC are now introducing. They're very similar in appearance and powers and when he eventually comes to screen people will think that they're copying Marvel. The characters are very similar. Both brands ripped off characters from the other over the years so bringing out their own films are very samey.

The biggest issue with superhero films is that they're just impossible to create a story for without having gaping plot holes that everybody will then pick up on and criticise the film for. You cannot have someone like Superman who is essentially a god, not beat the shit out of a bad guy in half a second without it being a plot hole. You cannot have someone like The Flash who can run 13 trillion times the speed of light, not just run in and save the day and run out before someone blinks. Any time that anything happens that isn't that, it's a plot hole. Look at Suicide Squad for example, there were a hundred criticisms of the film along the lines of 'the witch can teleport, why doesn't she just teleport out of the way' and that goes for characters like The Flash. If that was you in that situation, you'd have done it already. The film would be over in 0.5s.

Then these movies have to build a villain up by showing him showcase his power and look badass, but then he can never use that power again because if he does he'll kill the human superhero and obviously that can't happen, so plot hole. They make a villain that can slap Superman, essentially a god about and then why would you ever believe that Batman would pose a threat. You just can't really write a superhero movie in a way that somebody else can't pick plot holes out of. I just go to these things expecting to see some cool feats on screen from characters I grew up loving. I'd drive myself crazy picking out plot holes that were obvious from the beginning.
Absolutely agree, reviewing superhero films under the same expectations as highbrow cinema is pointless because at the end of the day its a popcorn flick that is supposed to dazzle rather than rival The Godfather in the craft of film making and storytelling. I mean occasionally you will have movies that will raise the bar, like The Dark Knight, but even with them there has to be a significant suspension of disbelief as to why a millionaire dresses like a bat to fight a man dressed up as a clown.

I turn a blind eye to the plot holes and just enjoy it for what it is. But conversely if it doesn't deliver even as a popcorn flick then it deserves all the bad reviews it gets!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

I know it's almost once in a life time but Nolan illustrated that this entirely possible with the DK series. He gave us several DC villains, a great super hero but with a cohesive and sensible story. One of the reasons the current DCEU disappoints me a lot is that Nolan was a producer on a few of the movies so I expected some influence from him on how they panned out but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'd also add Sami Raimi as another director who managed to intertwine a story to a comic book film with the Spiderman trilogy - albeit, Marvel have done quite well with most of their films.

Zarlak

I know it's almost once in a life time but Nolan illustrated that this entirely possible with the DK series. He gave us several DC villains, a great super hero but with a cohesive and sensible story. One of the reasons the current DCEU disappoints me a lot is that Nolan was a producer on a few of the movies so I expected some influence from him on how they panned out but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'd also add Sami Raimi as another director who managed to intertwine a story to a comic book film with the Spiderman trilogy - albeit, Marvel have done quite well with most of their films.
That's because no super powers were involved and everything was done within the laws of physics and normal human limitations. This is completely different and introduces a million gaping plot holes.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Batman isn't a superhero and he fought no super villains.

Sylar

@Zarlak @GBBQ
I think minor plotholes are fine, I think even the best movies have them.

I think the problem comes when a lot of logic is thrown out. You can still have defined rules within its own universe. With Superman, I think thats where a villain like Luthor (past versions) should be. You cant beat him in a fight, but you can outsmart him.
I think the general idea of Luthor (luthor Jr?) in BvS was fine. But the portrayal and execution wasnt the greatest.

I also think with comic book movies, you cant have every single of it doom and gloom. I think you need some elements of humour cos its comic world. I think JL was going the right way with it (but I do agree some points it seemed more forced than natural, if that makes sense)

@afrocentricity I agree a reboot 5 movies in is a bad idea. I dont think it needs a reboot, more a course correction. I think theres so much still left to salvage it. Its not got of to a great start and it was fighting from behind thanks to MCU anyway.
It just needs some solid movies now without being too over complicated. I think we got that with WW. Suicide Squad, BvS and JL tried to do too much in such little time allocated. (eg BvS could easily be split into two really good movies if fleshed out).

Di Maria's angel

That's because no super powers were involved and everything was done within the laws of physics and normal human limitations. This is completely different and introduces a million gaping plot holes.
To be honest, I realised I was writing crap. That comment took 2 hours to post and I don't really know what I was even trying to say.

Zarlak

@Zarlak @GBBQ

I think the problem comes when a lot of logic is thrown out. You can still have defined rules within its own universe. With Superman, I think thats where a villain like Luthor (past versions) should be. You cant beat him in a fight, but you can outsmart him.
I think the general idea of Luthor (luthor Jr?) in BvS was fine. But the portrayal and execution wasnt the greatest.

I also think with comic book movies, you cant have every single of it doom and gloom. I think you need some elements of humour cos its comic world. I think JL was going the right way with it (but I do agree some points it seemed more forced than natural, if that makes sense)

@afrocentricity I agree a reboot 5 movies in is a bad idea. I dont think it needs a reboot, more a course correction. I think theres so much still left to salvage it. Its not got of to a great start and it was fighting from behind thanks to MCU anyway.
It just needs some solid movies now without being too over complicated. I think we got that with WW. Suicide Squad, BvS and JL tried to do too much in such little time allocated. (eg BvS could easily be split into two really good movies if fleshed out).
That's the thing though, Superman can beat Lex every time without needing to kill him - it would be absurdly easy to do. The fact that he doesn't, is a huge plot hole that you forgive because otherwise there'd be no story to tell - it's the same largely in the movies. That's not an excuse for things like poor dialogue, wooden acting etc but the plot holes when talking about people who can do pretty much whatever they want without breaking a sweat.

Sylar

But Superman/Luthor works in the sense that Superman is meant to be this guy who doesnt want violence, stands for hope, etc. He doesnt beatup Luthor, not cos he cant, but because he doesnt want to.
I think MoS was a bad start with Superman killing Zod as it set a really bad path for Supes (which im hoping ending of BvS and now JL has corrected)

I get what youre saying, and as I said, some plot holes can be forgiven / ignored because its somewhat accepted due to the universe they live in. I do think some critics take it way over board when comparing comics to other movies.

I for one like JL. As I said after watching it, it was what I expected but still thought it could have been better (and not as bad as some reviews made out)

Ubik

The top lip is really distracting.

Hoof the ball

One part got me and the guy from The Weekly Planet pointed this out too.

Batman approaches Flash for the first time and asks what his power is........despite having seen already what he does on a video. That's just unforgivable.

Ubik

Batman approaches Flash for the first time and asks what his power is........despite having seen already what he does on a video. That's just unforgivable.
Don't think this is a goof - he throws the batarang to force him into moving fast. It's like when he's looking for Aquaman and acts like he doesn't recognise him, even though he saw him on video.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
@Zarlak Don't read the comics but I thought Apocalypse was the rip-off of Darkseid? Remember mistaking them for one another.

Di Maria's angel

To be fair, all he has seen is the video of Barry in the grocery store disappearing and reappearing.

Lastwolf

@Zarlak @GBBQ

You ca pick holes in anything, I find people call anything they don't like a plot hole these days.

You don't need to marvel it up but the DC stuff is clearly bolted on cause some focus groups said "where are the laughs?" the Nolan movies had a dry humor was just fine.

I'd soft reboot with the Flashpoint/ Crisis movie so you can ditch the elements that aren't working.

Di Maria's angel

You ca pick holes in anything, I find people call anything they don't like a plot hole these days.

You don't need to marvel it up but the DC stuff is clearly bolted on cause some focus groups said "where are the laughs?" the Nolan movies had a dry humor was just fine.

I'd soft reboot with the Flashpoint/ Crisis movie so you can ditch the elements that aren't working.
Flashpoint would be really cool.

Sylar

As others have said, I dont think its a goof. Its basically trying to get Flash to admit what his powers are (given he denies it in the first place).

I agree. And yeah, goofs and plot holes arent same thing.
Also agree you dont need to marvel it up. I do think it needs a bit of humour but not forced amount. I thought WW did it well. JL and SS seemed like it was forced into it after the fact which made it seem so forced and out of line with the rest of the movie.
Saying that, I did like the humour Flash brought to JL. Also the one scene with Aquaman and the truth lasso.

And with the last point, seeing Flashpoint on the screens would be amazing. (Not animated i mean). But tbh, they should just copy the animated one, then use it as a way to refresh things on for the DCU going forward.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

The video he receives could have indicated he was a teleporter or something similar.

InfiniteBoredom

Watched it a few hours ago. Have to say it left me a bit empty, the flower scene at the end was terrible CGI.

Affleck wasn't as bad as made out to be, but his attempts at humour fell flat. Most of them did tbf, not many in the theater laughed at the jokes. Gal was hot.

Read a few reports that nearly an hour of footage was cut, the remastered BvS was as mediocre as the cinema version but I think the director cut of this one will be better.

Also, Ciaran Hinds was criminally underused. Such a talented actor to be wasted in a brutish one dimensional villain.

Lastwolf

They are apparently naming the flash movie Flashpoint, so we're going to get some form of it.

If you follow the traditional narrative everything goes back to normal afterwards, however the TV show version there was slight alterations to the timeline, even after it was fixed. There is talk of recasting batman (Bale coming back and Gyenhaal being the two I've heard) I'm not sure Flashpoint would be big enough to change Batman's face.

Ubik

They are apparently naming the flash movie Flashpoint, so we're going to get some form of it.

If you follow the traditional narrative everything goes back to normal afterwards, however the TV show version there was slight alterations to the timeline, even after it was fixed. There is talk of recasting batman (Bale coming back and Gyenhaal being the two I've heard) I'm not sure Flashpoint would be big enough to change Batman's face.
I think it's supposed to be in development limbo, though, so no real guarantee that'll make it to the screen. The universe is really way too underdeveloped to pull the story off but I suppose that won't stop them.

Kapardin

Just watched the movie. As usual, so underrated.

Let's get the bad things out of the way. Yes, Steppenwolf was a weak enemy and his backstory seemed to be a watered down version of Sauron. And Aquaman seemed to be lost as his powers are linked to water and they couldn't bring that into the fights.

But heck, everything else was fantastic. The league's interaction, the great action set-pieces and the absolutely badass thing was this:

Evil Superman was fecking awesome, even if it was only for five minutes. The evil way he looked at Flash when he was fighting the league! If they could do a movie on Superman gone rogue, I am all for it!

The critics can do one. It was a bloody good watch, just like Thor was, but in an entirely different way. I just hope Affleck continues as Batman too. Solid 7/10.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It had some good moments

Not sure if they outweighs the bad though

A solid 6/10 I reckon

Edit: Wonder Woman is fecking hot as shit

Edit: Affleck is possibly an even worse Batman than Val Kilmer and Clooney

Last edited: