Film Justice League

Sylar

and the absolutely badass thing was this:

Evil Superman was fecking awesome, even if it was only for five minutes. The evil way he looked at Flash when he was fighting the league! If they could do a movie on Superman gone rogue, I am all for it!
I loved Flash running at speed and suddenly Supermans eyes and head turning and shocking Flash :lol:

I think it's supposed to be in development limbo, though, so no real guarantee that'll make it to the screen. The universe is really way too underdeveloped to pull the story off but I suppose that won't stop them.
I thought it was too underdeveloped to have JL with only really 3 movies behind it (SS is pretty much not linked)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Saw it. Enjoyed lots of unique bits about the movie that are extremely hard for directors to pull off with unanimois praise. Reviews are unnecessarily harsh on the movie, its actually a good watch.

Solid 7/10 for me. Agree with previous posters about the reviewers whining about nothing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
One part got me and the guy from The Weekly Planet pointed this out too.

Batman approaches Flash for the first time and asks what his power is........despite having seen already what he does on a video. That's just unforgivable.
Batman knows he teleports after the experience from the first movie and the cctb footage with Alfred. He just didn't know how he does it and wanted to learn more.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
I haven’t seen the film but I enjoyed a couple of the (warning: negative) reviews:

(although it’s a bit harsh to people who’ve been accused of sexual misconduct and might not be guilty)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I have a question: Why are DC so good at making animated movies and so bad at making motion pictures?

Why not enlist writers from the animated department for the motion pictures?

There hasn't been a good film from them since Nolan's run, and that ended almost half a decade ago.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I have a question: Why are DC so good at making animated movies and so bad at making motion pictures?

Why not enlist writers from the animated department for the motion pictures?

There hasn't been a good film from them since Nolan's run, and that ended almost half a decade ago.
Because WB.

Honestly JL isn't anywhere near as bad as made out. I enjoyed it a lot.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Because WB.

Honestly JL isn't anywhere near as bad as made out. I enjoyed it a lot.
It's a massive cost to go to the cinema these days. It costs me near £50 when all is said and done as I buy for myself and partner. The expense isn't the issue, rather the likelihood of watching a dud, or something I'll regret after, is.

Over time, I've become wary, and then weary, when it comes to DC's offerings and that's despite lapping up pretty much everything they put out in the animated field and being a fan of the comics.

The opinions on JL are so varied that I'm not going to risk it. I've been burnt too many times by DC in the last few years to willingly hand over more cash until they come up with something that gets sterling reviews and a more universal set of appraisals from those who have parted with their hard-earned.

If I do happen to like it once I watch it on home release, I'll regret having not watched it on the big screen, but I feel as though DC have earned my reluctance. It will take some crackers for me to blindly part with my cash for them again without the need for a wait on the reception of others before I go.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It's a massive cost to go to the cinema these days. It costs me near £50 when all is said and done as I buy for myself and partner. The expense isn't the issue, rather the likelihood of watching a dud, or something I'll regret after, is.

Over time, I've become wary, and then weary, when it comes to DC's offerings and that's despite lapping up pretty much everything they put out in the animated field and being a fan of the comics.

The opinions on JL are so varied that I'm not going to risk it. I've been burnt too many times by DC in the last few years to willingly hand over more cash until they come up with something that gets sterling reviews and a more universal set of appraisals from those who have parted with their hard-earned.

If I do happen to like it once I watch it on home release, I'll regret having not watched it on the big screen, but I feel as though DC have earned my reluctance. It will take some crackers for me to blindly part with my cash for them again without the need for a wait on the reception of others before I go.
It's shit. But I kind of like it, because why not? Super heroes, flashy (albeit it, so amateurishly done it's ridiculous) cgi moments and big battles.

But, in all honesty, if you've watched BvS then you know right away how terribly disjointed and ultimately disappointed in it you will be. It's like they keep getting good ideas from the comics, then thinking they should do the opposite of them, then shoehorning it all into a film. Then realising it's fecking dull and reshooting some terrible comedy scenes, because well...Guardians/Deadpool. It's so bad badly edited too, it's worth a watch on that alone. In a how not to cut a film kind of way.

I did like WW btw, not because it was an amazing cinema feat or any of that, but more because it had a purpose and was filmed that way. This, like SS and BvS, is just a very poor vehicle with no real direction and as such is just a mess. A watchable mess, granted, but one that makes you realise just how pathetically under qualified the people in charge of all of this really are. I mean, seriously, how hard is it to do a decent film featuring Batman and Superman, two of the greatest comic heroes of all time?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's shit. But I kind of like it, because why not? Super heroes, flashy (albeit it, so amateurishly done it's ridiculous) cgi moments and big battles.

But, in all honesty, if you've watched BvS then you know right away how terribly disjointed and ultimately disappointed in it you will be. It's like they keep getting good ideas from the comics, then thinking they should do the opposite of them, then shoehorning it all into a film. Then realising it's fecking dull and reshooting some terrible comedy scenes, because well...Guardians/Deadpool. It's so bad badly edited too, it's worth a watch on that alone. In a how not to cut a film kind of way.

I did like WW btw, not because it was an amazing cinema feat or any of that, but more because it had a purpose and was filmed that way. This, like SS and BvS, is just a very poor vehicle with no real direction and as such is just a mess. A watchable mess, granted, but one that makes you realise just how pathetically under qualified the people in charge of all of this really are. I mean, seriously, how hard is it to do a decent film featuring Batman and Superman, two of the greatest comic heroes of all time?
Different opinions I suppose. I thought the direction of this film was clear as day and so was the purpose. Cyborg could have had some more depth but honestly speaking I thought it was way better than BvS. Preferred it to most Marvel flicks too because they are a bit more brainless comedies than actual substance these days.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
What kind of Waitrose cinema do you go to? It's like £10-£12 a ticket, tops. Unless you're spending £30 on snacks you fat feck.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

That makes me look forward to having a laugh at it in the comfort of my own home, but I'd probably be pretty miffed if I forked out the amount I do at the cinema for the privilege.

I'm with you on WW, but that's another one I would've been disappointed with if I'd forked out to watch it at the cinema.

Felt like a nice, vanilla movie to get the franchise off the ground, but not much else.

About the last sentence; this is why I'm so baffled by how much they're messing up in the motion picture world. If they'd plain steal the source material from the animated movies, they'd be golden, as they're really well written and capture the tension and disharmony within the team effortlessly. It's like you said: they're taking material and just veering off into some bizarro world with it when they've no need to do so to make a perfectly acceptable movie.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Yeah pretty much agree with all of that. Cringed at a lot of moments but on occasion got wrapped up in the general spectacle, and did enjoy Flash and Aquaman (when he wasn't saying stuff like "awwwwright" anyway).

I get what you mean @Fortitude, I'd resolved not to go after BvS and SS but saw it showing for £3 and thought I might as well! But it's not something you'll regret not seeing in large scale (there's a rumour they might be fixing Cavill's top lip for the home release, which would be worth waiting for!)

It's taken less than BvS and SS as well in its second week, though the drop-off was smaller (I guess that reflects its bad first week more than anything).

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What kind of Waitrose cinema do you go to? It's like £10-£12 a ticket, tops. Unless you're spending £30 on snacks you fat feck.
Arf

Vue gold class or Cineworld Imax - two tickets are going to set you back around £36.

In the case of the former, you have to do that at Vue to avoid the talkers, phone users, chavs and oiks and all the other disruptions that will ruin your night or get you into bother as you end up having to tell them to ssshhhh or whatever.

That's why I don't take many punts at the cinema these days and prefer to go in on as many sure things as possible.

Zarlak

Arf

Vue gold class or Cineworld Imax - two tickets are going to set you back around £36.

In the case of the former, you have to do that at Vue to avoid the talkers, phone users, chavs and oiks and all the other disruptions that will ruin your night or get you into bother as you end up having to tell them to ssshhhh or whatever.

That's why I don't take many punts at the cinema these days and prefer to go in on as many sure things as possible.
I just went to book two tickets for Justice league tonight at 9pm and it was £9.98 for both tickets for standard and £19.98 for IMAX at vue. Think your girl on the till is skimming a bit off the top.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I get what you mean @Fortitude, I'd resolved not to go after BvS and SS but saw it showing for £3 and thought I might as well! But it's not something you'll regret not seeing in large scale (there's a rumour they might be fixing Cavill's top lip for the home release, which would be worth waiting for!)

It's taken less than BvS and SS as well in its second week, though the drop-off was smaller (I guess that reflects its bad first week more than anything).
MARTHHHAAA!! :lol:

At £3, I'd have no hesitancy in going myself!

I should imagine I'm not the only one who waits in threads like these for the reviews before deciding against going just because of DC's past failures. Word of mouth with their films tends to drive audiences away, not bring more in! Which is terrible.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Feck all of you it's a good film.
:lol:
I just went to book two tickets for Justice league tonight at 9pm and it was £9.98 for both tickets for standard and £19.98 for IMAX at vue. Think your girl on the till is skimming a bit off the top.
Subtotal*: £35.98

Just ran that through their site.

I meant Gold Class at Vue - I go to Cineworld for Imax.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Different opinions I suppose. I thought the direction of this film was clear as day and so was the purpose. Cyborg could have had some more depth but honestly speaking I thought it was way better than BvS. Preferred it to most Marvel flicks too because they are a bit more brainless comedies than actual substance these days.
You clearly really wanted it to be good, so you see honest opinions to the contrary that way. I will point out though, that I did say in the very first line that I kind of liked it, because I did :)

But I'm aware of both why I did, but also why I should hate it with a passion. Because let's face it, we have Batman, we have Superman, we have WW and Flash and all these other great characters and yet we have a film that is fine at very best, mediocre if we are being honest, and terrible to anyone who isn't a fanboy/girl.

It is very much like BvS and SS, in that it's clearly been fecked around with by people who know nothing about what exactly it is they are trying to achieve, but have stupid money to attract stars they think can sell it anyway. It would actually be a good thing if this fecked up majorly, not that it will, because we will always be getting superman and batman films no matter what, but it would be nice for the masses to actually reject the shite being served up right now. In a few years time we'll have a new batman, a new superman, about 50 new films and those of you with excuses for how bad this period us will be looking back to this shit show and saying how shit it all really was. We are back in the Batman forever territory right now. Mark my words ;)

Ubik

MARTHHHAAA!! :lol:

At £3, I'd have no hesitancy in going myself!

I should imagine I'm not the only one who waits in threads like these for the reviews before deciding against going just because of DC's past failures. Word of mouth with their films tends to drive audiences away, not bring more in! Which is terrible.
Resolving the main conflict of the film with a coincidence, I mean how does that even get through one script revision?!

Geoff Johns is supposedly overseeing everything now, whether he was just too late to this to make a difference I don't know. He co-wrote the story for Aquaman next year so maybe that'll be the first test to see if things can be rectified.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
:lol: So it's because you're going for the Waitrose tickets then. Fair play.
Do you not have the issue with other people in the cinema ruining it when you go the cheaper route?

I've had terrible luck with that to the point I pay the extra to avoid it completely.

Zarlak

Do you not have the issue with other people in the cinema ruining it when you go the cheaper route?

I've had terrible luck with that to the point I pay the extra to avoid it completely.
No, for someone to ruin something they'd probably have to throw their drink over me. Chatting doesn't ruin anything, plus the movie is louder than they are. It's annoying during the trailers, but meh. Can't hear them during the film. No different to someone talking to you much louder when you're trying to watch a film at home, or hearing a car go past when someones talking on screen. Not worth getting worked up over and definitely not worth doubling the price of admission.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Resolving the main conflict of the film with a coincidence, I mean how does that even get through one script revision?!

Geoff Johns is supposedly overseeing everything now, whether he was just too late to this to make a difference I don't know. He co-wrote the story for Aquaman next year so maybe that'll be the first test to see if things can be rectified.
:lol: this is what I wondered when I watched it, too. If they can put that through QC and say 'yep, that's a goer!' it's a terrible indictment on what's going on at WB.

Johns has got his work cut out and it will be a hell of a feat if he can turn things round.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
in your opinion. Mass opinion goes against that which kinda is more important.
Kinda like how I could think JL is the GOAT movie, but ultimately doesnt matter as opposed to the mass who will be viewing / watching / paying for it.
The final act was pretty much CGI filled end of world comic book stuff. But the rest of the movie was fun and had the right balance of action, dialogue and yes Gal is hot.

I dont think DCU needs a full reboot. Its got to a point where 5 movies have been made already and some are in the works.
They just need to sit down, get rid of Snyder imo as his vision is not working. And get a competent director to plan out the rest of the vision, story and stick to it. In fact I bet the story going forward isnt even the worst on paper, its just the execution has been horrid so far. (imo BvS was 2 movies squashed into one).
The fact that JL is a 2 hour movie and still had lots of scenes cut shows they are trying to cram in too much and not letting it breath.

*clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You clearly really wanted it to be good, so you see honest opinions to the contrary that way. I will point out though, that I did say in the very first line that I kind of liked it, because I did :)

But I'm aware of both why I did, but also why I should hate it with a passion. Because let's face it, we have Batman, we have Superman, we have WW and Flash and all these other great characters and yet we have a film that is fine at very best, mediocre if we are being honest, and terrible to anyone who isn't a fanboy/girl.

It is very much like BvS and SS, in that it's clearly been fecked around with by people who know nothing about what exactly it is they are trying to achieve, but have stupid money to attract stars they think can sell it anyway. It would actually be a good thing if this fecked up majorly, not that it will, because we will always be getting superman and batman films no matter what, but it would be nice for the masses to actually reject the shite being served up right now. In a few years time we'll have a new batman, a new superman, about 50 new films and those of you with excuses for how bad this period us will be looking back to this shit show and saying how shit it all really was. We are back in the Batman forever territory right now. Mark my words ;)
Honestly speaking, whilst I do conceded I am a DC fan and they can often do no wrong for me (lol, off to a great start so far) :

I really enjoyed a few elements which for me set it aside from Marvel

1) Dedicating at least a scene to show how human batman is. The internal bleeding and bruised scene where wonder woman points out he can't do this forever is a good nod to some much needed realism. Didn't see shit close like that to Ironman amongst the avengers.

2) flash speed vs superman is something the could have avoided but they gave it to us and I bloody loved it.

3) I enjoyed the fall out of darkness on the world with that racism / hate crime scene where the lady was verbally terrorised as her son watched. You literally felt like the world was in chaos and again I didn't get that in Marvel.

4) They gave a brief history on Aquamans heritage and Flashs background which they didn't bother doing in BvS for Luther, WW or Batman bar the opening credits.

5) I found some bits quite funny naturally and it didn't feel that forced. The Aquamarine scene where he sat on the rope and told the truth was jokes. So was the "Clark said you're the thirstiest girl he ever met" line.

6) feck marvel. Comedy one dimensional pussies. They are no match for the gods of DC.

Sylar

No, for someone to ruin something they'd probably have to throw their drink over me. Chatting doesn't ruin anything, plus the movie is louder than they are. It's annoying during the trailers, but meh. Can't hear them during the film. No different to someone talking to you much louder when you're trying to watch a film at home, or hearing a car go past when someones talking on screen. Not worth getting worked up over and definitely not worth doubling the price of admission.
i hate people talking through it. Its so distracting. A couple came into the cinema for one other movie I was at and just kept talking. My gf had to leave and tell the ushers and they wouldnt stop and were removed. Like why come to the cinema just to talk? Its bonkers. It basically ruined the movie and we had to leave and come back to another showing (thankfully we are both unlimited members)

decorativeed

i hate people talking through it. Its so distracting. A couple came into the cinema for one other movie I was at and just kept talking. My gf had to leave and tell the ushers and they wouldnt stop and were removed. Like why come to the cinema just to talk? Its bonkers. It basically ruined the movie and we had to leave and come back to another showing (thankfully we are both unlimited members)
I'm with you and Fortitude. I get enraged with people chatting and looking at their phones every two minutes in the cinema. All the way through the ads, trailers, and the first five minutes of the film I'm anxious about people sitting close enough where I know they'll be an issue if they are those kinds of people.

I've found the best way to avoid those types are to go to the earliest showings, preferably on weekdays. Tickets are usually cheaper then too, but you obviously need a day off work to take full advantage.

Borden

I won’t spend money on this, but I rewatched BvS yesterday, and it was an even bigger mess than I remembered.

Came across this on YouTube, sums up some of my (main) issues with the film nicely.

Last edited:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It’s global box office will pass the $500 million mark either today or tomorrow.

Zarlak

You can't even hear people chatting all the way through it, it's loud as feck with explosions and shit. They'd have to be shouting to hear that. I think I've only ever had it happen once where like 10 kids wouldn't shut up until some random person turned round and shouted at them.

bucky

Honestly speaking, whilst I do conceded I am a DC fan and they can often do no wrong for me (lol, off to a great start so far) :

I really enjoyed a few elements which for me set it aside from Marvel

1) Dedicating at least a scene to show how human batman is. The internal bleeding and bruised scene where wonder woman points out he can't do this forever is a good nod to some much needed realism. Didn't see shit close like that to Ironman amongst the avengers.

Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man is badly injured at the end of the first. Bleeding and constantly inured in Iron Man 3. Has a sling in Civil War and is beaten at the end by Steve Rodgers. But carry on.

2) flash speed vs superman is something the could have avoided but they gave it to us and I bloody loved it.

Not sure how that differentiates DC from Marvel. It's necessary to showcase how powerful Superman is.

3) I enjoyed the fall out of darkness on the world with that racism / hate crime scene where the lady was verbally terrorised as her son watched. You literally felt like the world was in chaos and again I didn't get that in Marvel.

That was well done. Not sure if you have seen Thor: Ragnarok, but Taika Waititi basically draws up a comparison between the way Odin has built Asgard and imperialism. That was well done as well.

4) They gave a brief history on Aquamans heritage and Flashs background which they didn't bother doing in BvS for Luther, WW or Batman bar the opening credits.

Again why is this something that's an advantage for DC over Marvel. If anything, for general audiences they didn't give enough back story for Aquaman and the Flash.

5) I found some bits quite funny naturally and it didn't feel that forced. The Aquamarine scene where he sat on the rope and told the truth was jokes. So was the "Clark said you're the thirstiest girl he ever met" line.

Not any better than some of the Marvel movie jokes.

6) feck marvel. Comedy one dimensional pussies. They are no match for the gods of DC.

Okay.
Wouldn't have guessed. Honestly, this movie is just as brainless as the worst Marvel movies, similarly it has a very weak villain. I enjoyed those characters finally being together on the big screen, but it is not a good movie, especially for people who don't have any knowledge about DC characters and the world they exist in.

Ubik

I won’t spend money on this, but I rewatched BvS yesterday, and it was an even bigger mess than I remembered.

Came across this on YouTube, sums up some of my (main) issues with the film nicely.

Yup that's dead on. I wouldn't mind so much if the slow-mo CGI fests ended up looking nice, but they don't.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Anyone expecting a masterpiece will be disappointed. Someone (like me) who is interested in special effects and action pieces will have he wants and tbh it was very good in that regard.

reelworld

Finally get around to watch it.
Justice League is not perfect, but it's helluva better than Batman vs Superman.
The good:
- Pacing is alot better. It helps that you don't need to shoe in another movie plot into this one.
- Superman is more bearable than the ones in both MoS and BvS. Aparrently it took two movies and dying to make him a hero and realised that if you gonna destroy a city, better took the people out before.
- the chemistry between the league members is pretty good. Jason Momoa and Ezra Miller was great, especially the former.
- for once, this looks like a coherent movie rather than a bunch of scenes put together like the usual Zack Snyder movie. I am really surprised at how much they spend the time to built the interactions between the leaguers. I don't know how big Whedon influence on the final cut

The bad:
- Batman continues to be an idiot. His only value to JL is being the smartest guy in the room, the man with the plan. There are no strategic thinking in any of his decisions in the movie. You can only imagine how stupid his villain is if he managed to survive for 20 years
- some jokes are off, especially the ones from Superman.
- the cgi is horrible in some places. Can't believe they didn't have the time and resources to fix that

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Positive things about Justice League:

• Superman actually having a positive personality rather than doing a cheap imitation of Batman.
  • better than Batman vs Superman, which is not hard to be honest.
  • Flash
  • Wonder Woman

Bad things about Justice League:
  • Batman's writing was terrible. He's supposed to be the guy who has a backup plan for his backup plans, not someone who does something and hope for the best. And what happened to that giant suit he had for fighting Superman, couldn't he have put it on standby when reviving Superman, or use it for extra firepower against Steppenwollf.
  • Pacing of the movie was weird, and it felt like something was missing from the movie.
  • Aquaman was underused and seriously they should have chosen a better enemy because Aquaman was basically a stronger Batman in this movie and generally just about useless in the actual fight.
  • Every character's powers were underdeveloped compared to Superman, they were basically just cheerleaders waiting for Superman to rescue them which is bollocks because that's not how it's supposed to be in the comics. This felt more like Superman and his lacky team rather than a Justice League.

I've hope for a better showing in Justice League 2 when Whedon has more control over the actual filming production and the other characters are better fleshed out in their own movies.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Saw it earlier, thought it was good. Some scenes were fcukin great. I'll be picking up the extended cut for sure...

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
As a neutral, I'm indonesian and aren't exposed to much comics other than the casual batman in the 90s with adam west pow kapow and xmen cartoon

I can't relate to dc very well. Sure batman trilogy is ace, but that's because they put a proper villain in there, razaghul, joker, two face, poison ivy is a side villain, and catwoman isn't a villain at all.

Tdk manages to really creates a monster in joker, something me as a movie going feels menacing, and can relate that "holy shit batman, what he pulls might work. Terror! Terrorist in the grand cheme of things". Joker, harvey, catwoman dont posses superhuman ability, neither does catwoman, and neither does batman. It really isn't a story about superheroes, they're just a man (or woman) good at their job. Kinda like elliot ness and capone.

And how nolan plays the bystander (i.e. Us, the commoners) struck a chord with me, imagining what in the world I'd do or the very least say if I'm in one of the boat there. It trully makes one questions everything, a modal dilemma. Batman trilogy was a well written drama behind the superhero bullshit. Bane is just a lovestruck puppy who's good at fighting and feels no pain.

Now dc. Dc villain is a mess, their superhero is a bigger mess. Superman has no enemy, batman has many enemy, but his enemy can be apprehended by superman in 2 minute. Flash can and should be able to do what batman does in 1 minute. Wonder woman is a great fighting machine but she needs a demi god to fight or it'll be a pissing contest. Deadpool? He's not a superhero, he's a fecking comedian.

Dc tries to emulate tdk, they forgot that tdk isn't a superhero movie