Film Justice League

Ish

Lights on for Luke
So true. A piece of trash like Suicide Squad (terrible casting) should only have seen light after the DCEU gained popularity and success with individual movies for big characters. Same with Justice League.
It's frustrating because the writers of comics do deliver some very good intent and stories.

They should and could use a big event like Flashpoint to rewrite many stuff tbh.
Absolutely true re the bolded bit. Now there's even talk of Affleck abandoning the Batman project/role. Chaos.
For me they should just throw money at Whedon and beg him to get them up and running, start fresh like others have said. You can see the notable differences in the bits he did for justice league and Snyders.
Yeah, a reset is needed for sure. I'm not a "Mr. Know it all" when it comes to Directing etc., so I might be way off base here, but with the style and darker theme the DCU tried to pursue, why didn't they get Nolan more involved in building and planning the DCU....hell, even Directing?

Whedon has done well....but I feel that the DCU's issues extend beyond any Director - it's the planning, writing etc. which are bigger issues IMO.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Absolutely true re the bolded bit. Now there's even talk of Affleck abandoning the Batman project/role. Chaos.

Yeah, a reset is needed for sure. I'm not a "Mr. Know it all" when it comes to Directing etc., so I might be way off base here, but with the style and darker theme the DCU tried to pursue, why didn't they get Nolan more involved in building and planning the DCU....hell, even Directing?

Whedon has done well....but I feel that the DCU's issues extend beyond any Director - it's the planning, writing etc. which are bigger issues IMO.
At least they have decentish/good shows on TVs. A real shame that they're struggling on the big screen. I enjoy the comics material much more than the Marvel stuff.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Whedon got a lot of love here but if anyone gets the credit for MCCU it's surely Kevin Feige? He's the one overseeing the whole project.

Whedon was very underwhelming with Avengers 2. He hit the ball out of the park with Avengers but seems unable to build on it. Thank feck CA:CW happened.
Feige is god.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Don't think Nolan would be particularly interested in a superheroey superhero film.

I just wanna see a George Miller one.

Andersons Dietician

I think this is one of the huge issues. They rushed bringing the big names out in my opinion and Affleck was just poor casting in my opinion. There should have been more standalone movies with the back stories of characters. And introducing people like Harley and others and then making a suicide squad movie and build in to a justice league movie after the universe is established.

I do think they just royally screwed up their casting and only really Gadot and Margot seem decent in their roles. Smith and Cavill juries out on. Despise Ezra as the flash. It’s just been really poorly executed which is a shame as for me DC has far better characters and stories than Marvel and I love the overall dark tone of it. In a way I guess Deadpool sort of ruined this with its success with the comedy angle and those reports of reshoots on SS and JL to add more humour.

Whedon would be intresting, I mean Buffy had some real darkness to it at times and had sort of a DC tone to it I guess. It’s Just would it be to cheesy with the comedy he often sticks in.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
@Andersons Dietician

I must admit, I prefer the darker, grittier, moodier undertones as well but the execution doesn’t hold a candle to MCU. It’s quite interesting that the DCU has been allowed to fall this far behind in the first place.

I have about a big fat zero bit of clue on how Hollywood works - but surely WB should have long been aware of what Marvel studios (or Disney or whoever!) - see, I really don’t know much :lol: was planning with the MCU.

It would have been too big and long term a project to have been kept under wraps. Unless there was obviously some legal battles for movie rights between studios etc - which prevented DC from kicking off earlier.

Andersons Dietician

@Andersons Dietician

I must admit, I prefer the darker, grittier, moodier undertones as well but the execution doesn’t hold a candle to MCU. It’s quite interesting that the DCU has been allowed to fall this far behind in the first place.

I have about a big fat zero bit of clue on how Hollywood works - but surely WB should have long been aware of what Marvel studios (or Disney or whoever!) - see, I really don’t know much :lol: was planning with the MCU.

It would have been too big and long term a project to have been kept under wraps. Unless there was obviously some legal battles for movie rights between studios etc - which prevented DC from kicking off earlier.
Yeah MCU have done a great job in casting and execution, it just seems like a lot of thought and prep work went in to it.

Movie rights could have been an issue I suppose. Sony is apparently launching its Marvel Universe stuff soon apparently but I’m not sure what they have all the rights to. It was just Something I read when checking up on the Venom situation as a trailer drops soon for that. Just seems weird as to what will happen with Spider-Man.

Sylar

Thing is MCU started this around in 2008 (which means they were planning it even longer) - which is when Dark knight came out. And the third came out 4 years later?

MoS was 2013. Looking at Wiki it started planning around 2008 (which could be coincidence)?
But regardless, they had a good 5 years to plan what they wanted but instead just threw things together.

I remember that BvS wasnt the initial plan after MoS but they did it anyway cos they were so far behind MCU. And I dont even think MoS was initially thought of as part of DCU (but could be wrong on that).
But they had to rewrite the beginning of BvS to include the end of MoS.

Regardless the whole planning of this has been a cluster feck.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Thing is MCU started this around in 2008 (which means they were planning it even longer) - which is when Dark knight came out. And the third came out 4 years later?

MoS was 2013. Looking at Wiki it started planning around 2008 (which could be coincidence)?
But regardless, they had a good 5 years to plan what they wanted but instead just threw things together.

I remember that BvS wasnt the initial plan after MoS but they did it anyway cos they were so far behind MCU. And I dont even think MoS was initially thought of as part of DCU (but could be wrong on that).
But they had to rewrite the beginning of BvS to include the end of MoS.

Regardless the whole planning of this has been a cluster feck.
Remember an article years ago where they claimed they were trying to do it differently to Marvel. In the sense that Marvel had a bunch of origin stories before the avengers, whereas they didn't want yet another origin story for Batman et al, so did justice league much early on build from there.

In doing so, we have a bunch of characters thrown together that we literally don't care about, because we have no reason to.

I remember the scene in the first avengers where Captain America, Thor and Iron Man all meet for the first time in I think a forest, and it gave everyone goosebumps because we were all like "omg, they're all together at the same time!"

You simply don't get that the way DC are going.

Sylar

Remember an article years ago where they claimed they were trying to do it differently to Marvel. In the sense that Marvel had a bunch of origin stories before the avengers, whereas they didn't want yet another origin story for Batman et al, so did justice league much early on build from there.

In doing so, we have a bunch of characters thrown together that we literally don't care about, because we have no reason to.

I remember the scene in the first avengers where Captain America, Thor and Iron Man all meet for the first time in I think a forest, and it gave everyone goosebumps because we were all like "omg, they're all together at the same time!"

You simply don't get that the way DC are going.
Strangely enough, the only time I really went fanboy was when Wonder Woman appeared in BvS and saved Batman with her awesome music playing.

I dont mind that DCU wanted to do things different to Marvel. I agree they didnt need a Batman origin story, but yet in BvS we still sorta see his parents dying in a scene. We still kinda got an origin Superman story with MoS. We still kinda got a Joker and HQ origin in Suicide Squad.

But for the other characters like Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg, etc we didnt get origin stories before actually seeing them which is nuts.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Strangely enough, the only time I really went fanboy was when Wonder Woman appeared in BvS and saved Batman with her awesome music playing.

I dont mind that DCU wanted to do things different to Marvel. I agree they didnt need a Batman origin story, but yet in BvS we still sorta see his parents dying in a scene. We still kinda got an origin Superman story with MoS. We still kinda got a Joker and HQ origin in Suicide Squad.

But for the other characters like Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg, etc we didnt get origin stories before actually seeing them which is nuts.
100% agree. Wonder woman is the only thing they got right so far, and even then it's a very similar story to first avenger.

Drifter

American
Wasn't as bad as some critics would have you believe. Only gripe is that it did seem rushed. Maybe when the directors cut comes out it will flesh out the film more.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I honestly though it was pretty bad, with a couple of awesome scenes. But not as bad as made out. Then I rewatched Thor: Ragnarok last night, and realised the gulf in quality and enjoyment was just epic.

I hope they take some time to rethink their entire take on this universe and make it what it should be.

Sylar

A flashpoint which ends up recasting everybody but Harley in SS.

Sylar

Nah, get rid of the SS altogether. Focus on the basics right and then include them later perhaps.
Yeah I get that. Im just saying when they do get back to it, have a new cast (cept Margot)
I think they just need to do the Flash movie then start again but with the main characters (WW, Supes and batman established). Flash had flashpoint so its cool.
Then do Aqua and Cyborg origin movies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah I get that. Im just saying when they do get back to it, have a new cast (cept Margot)
I think they just need to do the Flash movie then start again but with the main characters (WW, Supes and batman established). Flash had flashpoint so its cool.
Then do Aqua and Cyborg origin movies.
I wonder why :wenger: I'd ditch her too tbh, feels like she got too big for the role (just like Smith as D.S)

Sylar

I wonder why :wenger: I'd ditch her too tbh, feels like she got too big for the role (just like Smith as D.S)
Even with her being a hottie, I thought she did a good job.
Although I remember somebody complaining about her voice not matching the cartoon lol

Andersons Dietician

A flashpoint which ends up recasting everybody but Harley in SS.
Everyone except Wonder Woman and Harley. I’d keep Jason Momoah. The rest as far as I’m concerned let loose the power of the flashpoint. I bet the CW would do a better job than what we’ve witnessed so far.

Sylar

Everyone except Wonder Woman and Harley. I’d keep Jason Momoah. The rest as far as I’m concerned let loose the power of the flashpoint. I bet the CW would do a better job than what we’ve witnessed so far.
Funnily enough, I have no issues with Flash himself, Cyborg, Aquaman, or even Batman and Superman.
Affleck looks tired and almost like hes disappointed by how its turned out.
I think Cavill looks like a good Superman and thought he was cool in JL. (cgi tache aside)

Andersons Dietician

Funnily enough, I have no issues with Flash himself, Cyborg, Aquaman, or even Batman and Superman.
Affleck looks tired and almost like hes disappointed by how its turned out.
I think Cavill looks like a good Superman and thought he was cool in JL. (cgi tache aside)
The Flash for me was what I imagine getting a cheesegrater taken to your nuts would feel like. The voice, the suit, the running style just awful.

As for the others a part from Affleck I could live with the casting. Annoyingly there is just so much potential there and they’ve just screwed it up. I’m quite looking forward to Gotham Sirens as who they cast for Ivy and Catwoman will be intresting. I’d also quite like to see a movie version of the Harley and Joker story because for me they are two of the best characters ever written.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The Flash for me was what I imagine getting a cheesegrater taken to your nuts would feel like. The voice, the suit, the running style just awful.

As for the others a part from Affleck I could live with the casting. Annoyingly there is just so much potential there and they’ve just screwed it up. I’m quite looking forward to Gotham Sirens as who they cast for Ivy and Catwoman will be intresting. I’d also quite like to see a movie version of the Harley and Joker story because for me they are two of the best characters ever written.
Rumoured to be cancelled. Might be put in the Birds of Prey one instead. Which is probably for the best, as it's dumb doing the "villains are the good guys" thing when they haven't been established as villains.

Sylar

Looks like Cavill is done too (along with Affleck)?

A Warners source says the Shazam! deal fell apart because of scheduling conflicts. And that is backed up by the fact that Cavill recently signed on to star in the Netflix series The Witcher. However, another source says that the Witcher commitment came after the Warners impasse, suggesting a change in Warners' strategy.

"There's a recognition that some parts of the previous movies didn't work," says the studio insider. Another source says Warners is trying to hit a "reset" button with the DC universe, steering its ship slowly into another direction.
Seriously though, how do you feck up Superman and Batman in this day and age when there is sooooo much material to take from and so much advancement in technology? (and a blueprint from Marvel and from Nolans Batman movies). Crazy.

JoaquinJoaquin

Seriously though, how do you feck up Superman and Batman in this day and age when there is sooooo much material to take from and so much advancement in technology? (and a blueprint from Marvel and from Nolans Batman movies). Crazy.
Totally agree. Even if they stuck to the Comics they would have success.

Cavill was really good as Supes so will be a shame for him to go.

kps88

It's a good move to get rid of both. Now they can start with a fresh slate and try not to feck it up again. They should forget about the whole expanded universe thing and just focus on stand alone stories. Superman's tricky to get right but a solo Batman movie sounds pretty easy to me.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Just watch the animated stuff for your DC fix. Miles better than any live content anyone has produced bar Nolan.

Andersons Dietician

Flash point everything keep Gadot,Robbie and Kahl Drogo, bring back Bale as an older Batman, maybe keep Leto and Smith and build a proper base of a universe starting with Batman, Robin, Oracle and how that Oracle storyline happens then have a nightwing, kill a robin blah blah blah and set it up properly. Get Jonah Hill to be Penguin.