Film Justice League

villain

Hates Beyoncé
As someone who loves a good villain, Steppenwolf was genuinely laughable :lol:

He was overpowered against all other JL-members, but all it took was a few punches from Superman to go down, pathetic.

Aqua man was utterly useless, but I am going to watch his movie because duh, have you looked at him?

Wonder Woman is head and shoulders above the rest of them, Batman was forgettable. Flash was kinda pointless but a comic relief, Cyborg wasn’t relatable at all.

Overall, my expectations were on the floor so in that sense it was better than I thought it would be.
However it’s so far behind Marvel, that it’s not even funny.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
As someone who loves a good villain, Steppenwolf was genuinely laughable :lol:

He was overpowered against all other JL-members, but all it took was a few punches from Superman to go down, pathetic.

Aqua man was utterly useless, but I am going to watch his movie because duh, have you looked at him?

Wonder Woman is head and shoulders above the rest of them, Batman was forgettable. Flash was kinda pointless but a comic relief, Cyborg wasn’t relatable at all.

Overall, my expectations were on the floor so in that sense it was better than I thought it would be.
They're playing catch up but they rushing things IMHO. Marvel did take a few movies and character development before getting the big avengers movie.

Rake

The management is just a mess... I don't think that people were against a darker DC universe (the Nolan movies prove it), they were against a stupid script and bad directing... Instead of fixing the actual issues, they tried to go the Avengers way (and that was after the actual movie was well into production) which is to have stupid script but with good CGI and nice jokes..

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I have a question: Why are DC so good at making animated movies and so bad at making motion pictures?

Why not enlist writers from the animated department for the motion pictures?

There hasn't been a good film from them since Nolan's run, and that ended almost half a decade ago.
Are we calling Marvel's films good? If so then Wonder Woman definitely counts as well.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
They're playing catch up but they rushing things IMHO. Marvel did take a few movies and character development before getting the big avengers movie.
Yep I agree. Comic book movies are king right now, so it doesn’t make sense to rush them at all. Everybody loved the batman trilogy because of the strength of the characters, the villains, and the cinematic experience.
Right now DC is lacking heavily in all three. They really needed proper storyline development before this movie, now they need to work backwards almost.

The management is just a mess... I don't think that people were against a darker DC universe (the Nolan movies prove it), they were against a stupid script and bad directing... Instead of fixing the actual issues, they tried to go the Avengers way (and that was after the actual movie was well into production) which is to have stupid script but with good CGI and nice jokes..
I would love a darker DC universe to contrast Marvel personally. The heroes in Marvel suit a lighter more comical tone.
They should’ve kept true to that identity, probably spooked by the success of Marvel, but it would have been much more authentic.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I thought it was pretty decent.

But I don't know why they didn't play the long game, and made the individual hero movies first to establish the various characters before bringing them all together to fight a big bad.

I'm also disappointed they're getting rid of Batfleck, based on the rumours. I think he's a better Batman than Bale. I'm a big fan of Bale and was before Batman Begins, but Affleck's Batman was more on point than Bale was in The Dark Knight trilogies.

decorativeed

Yep I agree. Comic book movies are king right now, so it doesn’t make sense to rush them at all. Everybody loved the batman trilogy because of the strength of the characters, the villains, and the cinematic experience.
Right now DC is lacking heavily in all three. They really needed proper storyline development before this movie, now they need to work backwards almost.

I would love a darker DC universe to contrast Marvel personally. The heroes in Marvel suit a lighter more comical tone
They should’ve kept true to that identity, probably spooked by the success of Marvel, but it would have been much more authentic.
See, this is what I disagree with and what I think Warner Bros can't understand either. Both DC and Marvel have a variety of different characters and stories that support a range of different styles and approaches.

Trying to make Superman fit into the same gritty, monochrome world as Nolan's Batman was a stupid move in the first place. Then they tried to launch a new universe off the back of that, which simultaneously disregarded the Nolan world they were trying so hard to conform to.

It's a mess because of an initial lack of a plan and the fact they made two or three mis-steps to launch the whole thing on the back of.

The only real dud in the early Marvel cannon was the Incredible Hulk, due to a poor director, bad CGI and subsequent recasting of the main character. Iron Man 2 was unremarkable and some of them didn't set the world on fire, but before Guardians of the Galaxy, the films they put out were fairly tonally different for each set of characters. The recent ones have become more formulaic and more comedic with little to set them apart, which could be detrimental in terms of attracting new audiences, but I suppose that the increasingly intertwined storylines after the best part of 20 films also put people off who are not already invested.

Warners and DC are missing an opportunity Marvel don't have any more in making their films more unique and distinctive with their pallet of characters. It seems ludicrous that they are making such a mess of these films.

kouroux

I agree with that
They also should have done a better job at not fecking up the key entry movie of this whole thing (Man of Steel). They should never have produced Suicide Squad with actors who became bigger than the roles they were to supposed to portray :houllier:

Wonder Woman is a step in the right direction, it felt closer to the real comic book character. I love DC, much better than Marvel tbh but it's easy to see why Marvel's long term in working to fruition. Using assembling the Avengers and the infinity stones are 2 very good ideas as a general plot for their movies. DC formed the Justice League way too fecking quickly basically giving us little time to adopt the characters.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
See, this is what I disagree with and what I think Warner Bros can't understand either. Both DC and Marvel have a variety of different characters and stories that support a range of different styles and approaches.

Trying to make Superman fit into the same gritty, monochrome world as Nolan's Batman was a stupid move in the first place. Then they tried to launch a new universe off the back of that, which simultaneously disregarded the Nolan world they were trying so hard to conform to.

It's a mess because of an initial lack of a plan and the fact they made two or three mis-steps to launch the whole thing on the back of.

The only real dud in the early Marvel cannon was the Incredible Hulk, due to a poor director, bad CGI and subsequent recasting of the main character. Iron Man 2 was unremarkable and some of them didn't set the world on fire, but before Guardians of the Galaxy, the films they put out were fairly tonally different for each set of characters. The recent ones have become more formulaic and more comedic with little to set them apart, which could be detrimental in terms of attracting new audiences, but I suppose that the increasingly intertwined storylines after the best part of 20 films also put people off who are not already invested.

Warners and DC are missing an opportunity Marvel don't have any more in making their films more unique and distinctive with their pallet of characters. It seems ludicrous that they are making such a mess of these films.
I think superman would work in a gritty world because his character is a beam of light in a seemingly hopeless world. It would help if the tone was similar to Wonder Woman imo. Batman should always be aloof and mysterious, Batfleck’s portrayal is basically an imitation of Iron Man imo, far too open and friendly. Not really sure what to make of the other characters honestly.
Though I agree that they have the opportunity to be more unique, Marvel’s identity is carved out - DC have a great opportunity to create their own blueprint going forward.

I agree with that
They also should have done a better job at not fecking up the key entry movie of this whole thing (Man of Steel). They should never have produced Suicide Squad with actors who became bigger than the roles they were to supposed to portray :houllier:

Wonder Woman is a step in the right direction, it felt closer to the real comic book character. I love DC, much better than Marvel tbh but it's easy to see why Marvel's long term in working to fruition. Using assembling the Avengers and the infinity stones are 2 very good ideas as a general plot for their movies. DC formed the Justice League way too fecking quickly basically giving us little time to adopt the characters.
The Wonder Woman movie felt complete, the tone was right, pacing was good and it had suspense.
It feels like the Aqua Man movie should have came out a long time ago? I swear we knew Jason Momoa would be him, from when he left Game Of Thrones years ago, so not having a movie for him yet is just bizarre.
Suicide Squad was just... terrible.
I’m not sure where they take it from here to be honest, as a fan I’m just confused :lol:

AXVnee7

So disappointing again. This time I didn't really get my hopes up though having already been bitten by BvS. It says a lot that I was in no hurry to watch this movie and hardly anticipated it.

Personally I think they should scrap the whole DCEU except WW and start again, building a new universe around her as the lead protagonist. I heard that Ben Affleck doesn't really care for the Batman role anymore too? Maybe they can keep Aquaman as he's quite decent, but personally the other castings weren't that great for me. Superman is too wooden (although perhaps that's why he makes such a good "evil" Superman), and I'm not convinced on the Flash either.

reelworld

I think superman would work in a gritty world because his character is a beam of light in a seemingly hopeless world. It would help if the tone was similar to Wonder Woman imo. Batman should always be aloof and mysterious, Batfleck’s portrayal is basically an imitation of Iron Man imo, far too open and friendly. Not really sure what to make of the other characters honestly.
Though I agree that they have the opportunity to be more unique, Marvel’s identity is carved out - DC have a great opportunity to create their own blueprint going forward.
But the mistake in MoS is that they didn't make him a beacon of hope and inspiration. They portrayed him as someone so unsure of himself and not really care with the civilians during his fight. BvS and JL tried really hard to make him an inspiration when he's anything but.
I think Winter Soldier did a far superior job in portraying an inspirational hero in a dark and gritty world. When Cap made that speech at SHIELD saying that it's been compromised and he asked others to follow him, you'd believe him. That point was enforced again when the meek SHIELD engineer refuse to launch the weapon because of "Captain's order". Superman at his best is a hero who inspired other people to do the right thing. The most interesting thing about Superman for me is that for someone with the power of a god, it's telling that he choose to use that power to help, not rule. I really like the idea that the only thing that prevent Superman from slaving humans is good parenting.

The Wonder Woman movie felt complete, the tone was right, pacing was good and it had suspense.
Wonder Woman is a good origin movie which I think is a bit overrated. But i think its understandable given the other movies in the franchise and the hype of being the first superhero movie headlined by a woman lead role and director

kouroux

It feels like the Aqua Man movie should have came out a long time ago? I swear we knew Jason Momoa would be him, from when he left Game Of Thrones years ago, so not having a movie for him yet is just bizarre.
Suicide Squad was just... terrible.
I’m not sure where they take it from here to be honest, as a fan I’m just confused :lol:
Just like they announced The Rock as Black Adam but there is no real date set for Shazam or Black Adam movie yet (I think). I just don't get it why announce things way so early but do feck all in the end.

Parma Dewol

Ended up watching this because the cinema was doing a £5 special offer. Still didn't feel like value for money.

The '78 Superman was one of my favourite films growing up, but these new superhero movies just don't do it for me.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It’s both terrible and not as bad as I’d thought it’d be, at the same time.

My personal take:

- Decent popcorn flick
- Lots that doesn’t make sense.
- Terrible cultural awareness
- WW was ok.
- Batman so-so
- Flash was pretty meh. Stupid run but decent humour.
- Actually liked Cyborg.
- Aquaman was completely pointless.
- Evil Superman scene was fecking awesome. Would watch again just for that.
- Villian was piss poor
- CGI was terrible.
- Music was good.
- It generally felt quite juvenile.
- Commissioner Gordon may as well have not been in it.
- The opening scene with WW foiling the terrorist plot was atrocious. From the cliche of their plan, to the dialogue.
- I didn’t think Affleck was anywhere near as bad as people make out.

The RT score is probably a fair reflection. It’s an enjoyable popcorn flick. Will probably watch again on a Sunday afternoon one day when I’m hungover. That sort of thing.

It’s probably a notch below the last two Avengers films, which were both shite as far as I’m concerned. But that said, not much worse than Ultron, which was terrible.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Baffles me that some people are so keen to defend Snyder.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Saw it, hated it. Felt like a complete mess. It was like watching a made for TV movie some the CG, editing and story were so bad.

You can see how all the production problems wrecked this film. It's a mishmash of scenes thrown together with no consistent style or direction. I know it's not easy to make an ensemble super hero movie but this was particularly bad.

Shame, I really enjoyed Wonder Woman and hoped the DC films were getting their act together.

InfiniteBoredom

Fandom from 300 and Watchmen.

Although tbh it's not exactly a big secret how dumb the WB suits are. Remember that 'No Man's Land' scene in WW? Well, Patty Jenkins had to fight to keep it in the final cut. They are quite braindead.

Ubik

Although tbh it's not exactly a big secret how dumb the WB suits are. Remember that 'No Man's Land' scene in WW? Well, Patty Jenkins had to fight to keep it in the final cut. They are quite braindead.
They're dumb for sure, I think there's plenty of blame to be doled out for it. WB for hiring Snyder continually for one.

InfiniteBoredom

They're dumb for sure, I think there's plenty of blame to be doled out for it. WB for hiring Snyder continually for one.
Yeap. It's no big surprise that his most successful work to date is the one where he could just follow the source material 100%. Can shoot a scene but frankly inept at framing any sort of coherent narrative that requires a bit of brainstorming.

And his love for slow-mo is probably only topped by Bay.

Sylar

Hiring and then keeping him. Then them getting involved so much. WB and Snyder is not a good combo lol

Ubik

So do we think they're going to cancel some of the upcoming EU films after this one? Aquaman is done so that'll obviously come out, WW2 is a safe bet and somehow there are several Suicide Squad spinoffs in the works (I know, money), but Flashpoint looks to be in development hell, The Batman looks pretty questionable with Affleck's steadily dwindling involvement...

Shazam! looks eminently cancellable, and you can imagine WB shitting themselves about Green Lantern Corps after the first one. Cyborg? Just rebooting everything with Flashpoint would be a waste of everyone's time but would fit the pattern seen so far. Pretty much everything without a release date (Batgirl, Nightwing, Black Adam etc) you'd have to take with bags of salt right now.

Lastwolf

Shazam! looks eminently cancellable, and you can imagine WB shitting themselves about Green Lantern Corps after the first one. Cyborg? Just rebooting everything with Flashpoint would be a waste of everyone's time but would fit the pattern seen so far. Pretty much everything without a release date (Batgirl, Nightwing, Black Adam etc) you'd have to take with bags of salt right now.
Green latern corps is a reboot anyway, so it should be that big a factor.

Unless Aquaman is amazing, I'd scrap everything but Wonder Woman and start again later.

Borden

If I was DCEU boss I'd just cancel everything, wait a few years, hire competent people and start over with all new Superman/Batman (maybe WW, Aquaman, The Flash etc., but they former two are key) origin films with new leads. Allow people to get to know and care about the characters themselves before putting them all in the same movie. Plan for the long term, with a clear direction and vision, not this ad hoc shite they've been doing lately.

I just don't see how the current DCEU is salvageable, they're too far down the wrong path.

Andersons Dietician

I feel they just really screwed up there casting with Affleck and trying to rush him into a movie. They should have had another superman movie and establish him as an icon, tool for justice and so on.
If you need to speed along the point of where Batman is in his life have a batman movie with some of his back story with the joker and have him kill Robin like he does in the comics and you could have a broken Batman at the end of that movie setting it up for a Batman vs superman closer to the Frank Miller version where Batman kills the joker and Superman is forced to act. In that comic Batman is a much older man and starting to feel the wear and tear and really is just broken down. Which for a while sort of made sense why they casted an older actor in Affleck but they didn’t deliver on the back story or even the portrayal of the character.

They pretty much just fooked this whole franchise from the beginning and the only good thing out of it so far is a directors cut of SS and Wonderwoman.

I really hope they can turn it around with Gylenhall as Batman if he accepts and we see maybe some of that back story in the Harley/Joker movie but it should have been before BvS and JL

Jesus that is probably the best scene in the entire movie as well.

Andersons Dietician

So do we think they're going to cancel some of the upcoming EU films after this one? Aquaman is done so that'll obviously come out, WW2 is a safe bet and somehow there are several Suicide Squad spinoffs in the works (I know, money), but Flashpoint looks to be in development hell, The Batman looks pretty questionable with Affleck's steadily dwindling involvement...

I noticed that the Rock(black Adam) is on IMDB character list for SS2

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Personally, I hate is directing style. The CGI is so over used and he has no real idea how to illustrate a story. I'm sure Warner Brothers have played their part in the demise of the DCEU but there's no way an extended cut is saving this mess.

bucky

To be fair to Snyder I thought Batman v Superman definitely felt like a better movie with his extended cut compared to the one in cinemas. There's also other evidence that suggests Warner Brother executives are the bigger problem here. Suicide Squad didn't feel like a David Ayer movie at all, because those higher-ups decided to mess with it. They hired a trailer company to edit the movie after all. They did similar things with BvS and Justice League. Demanding a 2 hour run time and more humour isn't magically going to improve your movie. I really hope they start trusting their filmmakers like they did with Wonder Woman, because it looks like they have the right idea in terms of casting and the other directors that they choose.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Watched it the other day online, HD stream out (don't worry already reported it).

Thank feck i didn't spend money at the cinema. It's just not a very good film by any stretch of the imagination. Literally a bunch of characters thrown together that we have no connection to because it's all so rushed. Its not a good formula and has never worked. Flashpoint is a must, because this universe is a Justice league and a BVS in, and the audience quite rightly doesn't care about it. They should have been 2 of the biggest films ever and set the tone and narrative for the universe, and they simply haven't. Needs a reboot already.

Sylar

Watched it the other day online, HD stream out (don't worry already reported it).

Thank feck i didn't spend money at the cinema. It's just not a very good film by any stretch of the imagination. Literally a bunch of characters thrown together that we have no connection to because it's all so rushed. Its not a good formula and has never worked. Flashpoint is a must, because this universe is a Justice league and a BVS in, and the audience quite rightly doesn't care about it. They should have been 2 of the biggest films ever and set the tone and narrative for the universe, and they simply haven't. Needs a reboot already.
Strangely enough, JL was the fifth movie of this but I agree with your points about the formula and the characters.
I enjoyed seeing all the characters together on the big screen but yeah, the story was... well..

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

The Batman movie will definately be made. I believe that Flashpoint has also gone into production too.

Ubik

The Batman movie will definately be made. I believe that Flashpoint has also gone into production too.
Doesn't even have a director attached to my knowledge so not sure about that. It'll get made, but I think it was supposed to be out this year originally.

Sylar

MoS, BvS, SS & WW, right?
Yep. And these are some big movies.
But will always be adamant that having JL and even SS before an individual Batman (and Joker) movie was madness.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
But will always be adamant that having JL and even SS before an individual Batman (and Joker) movie was madness.
Yeah, reeks of panic due to the MCU development and bad planning. You could add in anyone (or all) of Aquaman, Cyborg & Flash to the list as well.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Yeah, reeks of panic due to the MCU development and bad planning. You could add in anyone (or all) of Aquaman, Cyborg & Flash to the list as well.
For me they should just throw money at Whedon and beg him to get them up and running, start fresh like others have said. You can see the notable differences in the bits he did for justice league and Snyders.

kouroux

So true. A piece of trash like Suicide Squad (terrible casting) should only have seen light after the DCEU gained popularity and success with individual movies for big characters. Same with Justice League.
It's frustrating because the writers of comics do deliver some very good intent and stories.
For me they should just throw money at Whedon and beg him to get them up and running, start fresh like others have said. You can see the notable differences in the bits he did for justice league and Snyders.
They should and could use a big event like Flashpoint to rewrite many stuff tbh.

InfiniteBoredom

Whedon got a lot of love here but if anyone gets the credit for MCCU it's surely Kevin Feige? He's the one overseeing the whole project.

Whedon was very underwhelming with Avengers 2. He hit the ball out of the park with Avengers but seems unable to build on it. Thank feck CA:CW happened.