Kalvin Phillips | City Player (West Ham loan watch)

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Why would he want to explain his POV to the ref? Those cards were fair. OK, the ref could had been a bit more lenient on the first yellow, but the second one is a poorly timed studs up challenge where he gets nowhere near the ball.

lysglimt

Scout
Is this the worst start to a career of any established players ?

Game 1 - at fault for one goal
Game 2 - at fault for one goal
Game 3 - sent off

Not counting Arsenal when he came on as a 90th minute sub

This is worse than Taibi - who at least had one good game against Liverpool (even if he was at fault for one goal)

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm still confused how Gareth Southgate would explain picking him for England all this time without sounding like someone who needs to find a different job.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Game 3 - sent off

This is worse than Taibi - who at least had one good game against Liverpool (even if he was at fault for one goal)
Mason Holgate is having a shocker at Sheffield United too after joining in January

Who gives a...

Game 3 - sent off

Jonathan Woodgate at Real Madrid was quite amusing. Signed August 2004 for £13million - injured for next 13 months. Finally made his debut, proceeded to score an own goal in the first half and was sent off in the 2nd.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Since the euros it's been quite a sad career fall for him.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think his fitness at Leeds was a big part of his game under Bielsa. It allowed him to get about and cover ground. He is a decent passer and the combination allowed him to influence games.

Not having that level of fitness, or indeed even match fitness, has absolutely killed him. Big moves and big money are never guaranteed to you can understand why players secure their bag when the offer comes but it really was a terrible transfer for him.

If he had gone to Liverpool and gotten his inhaler, he would be starting for England in the Euros.

GlasgowCeltic

It’s reached the point where as a foreigner wed be told he doesn’t care isn’t giving 100% and is impacting the desssing room

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
He should sue Pep and City for whatever he can think of. He will be back at Leeds on 20k pw next year.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Championship level player that Bielsa got a tune out of on a high level. Worst player I have seen at City since the financial doping started

According to Leeds fans I know, he weren't very good in the Championship before Bielsa either but then again Leeds weren't very good as a whole

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Championship level player that Bielsa got a tune out of on a high level. Worst player I have seen at City since the financial doping started

According to Leeds fans I know, he weren't very good in the Championship before Bielsa either but then again Leeds weren't very good as a whole
Yep. Bielsa is a magician.

T_Model101

I think his fitness at Leeds was a big part of his game under Bielsa. It allowed him to get about and cover ground. He is a decent passer and the combination allowed him to influence games.

Not having that level of fitness, or indeed even match fitness, has absolutely killed him. Big moves and big money are never guaranteed to you can understand why players secure their bag when the offer comes but it really was a terrible transfer for him.

If he had gone to Liverpool and gotten his inhaler, he would be starting for England in the Euros.
Inhaler :lol:
4 years left on his contract, absolutely glorious
What would he even be worth now?

Acole9

Outstanding
He is bobbins, one of the most overrated players going by Leeds fans at least anyway. My brother in law is a Leeds fan and I watching one of the matches with him, Phillips was playing and I thought he was proper shite then and didn't know what the fuss was about.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Lots has gone on for him and I think it's disrupted him a lot as a footballer. He had a career apex where he got himself into the England xi and the mega money move to City; probably at the point where he got there, he realised he wasn't good enough to play at the club, compounded by Pep's treatment, he mentally checked out. The weight gain and everything else ensued and he was unceremoniously booted.

It's not just a case of unpausing the button with regard to the intervening period between that apex and the City debacle - he's lost a lot of fitness and confidence in himself and I'd bet his appetite for the game has changed since knowing it'll never get better for him than the apex was, plus having secured the mega contract, it's easier to go through the motions than snap out of the malaise and very probably the mental burdens that come with it. Basically, if he's in the pits, he'll need someone or something to drag him out of it.

If he's one of those that doesn't even like football, getting back to playing isn't the incentive some would think - the bag is in and either way, he gets paid, so there could be a lot of soul searching for him over its duration. If he doesn't pick himself up, however, that'll be the end of his serious earning power as a PL player. At the moment, he wouldn't even be a good earner in the Championship, so there's a crossroads coming up for him that he'll have to directly address.

West Ham has been a disaster for him, but more so for that club. In the end, he goes back to his club, and it's they who are compromised by him stinking it up for them at times of need. Phillips' reputation has taken a hit, but that's not the most pressing matter with years left on that City contract; he still has time to turn it round in that regard.

If we take money out of the equation, he's has a torrid time with crazy highs and lows relative to the low profile he used to have.

Hammondo

Lots has gone on for him and I think it's disrupted him a lot as a footballer. He had a career apex where he got himself into the England xi and the mega money move to City; probably at the point where he got there, he realised he wasn't good enough to play at the club, compounded by Pep's treatment, he mentally checked out. The weight gain and everything else ensued and he was unceremoniously booted.

It's not just a case of unpausing the button with regard to the intervening period between that apex and the City debacle - he's lost a lot of fitness and confidence in himself and I'd bet his appetite for the game has changed since knowing it'll never get better for him than the apex was, plus having secured the mega contract, it's easier to go through the motions than snap out of the malaise and very probably the mental burdens that come with it. Basically, if he's in the pits, he'll need someone or something to drag him out of it.

If he's one of those that doesn't even like football, getting back to playing isn't the incentive some would think - the bag is in and either way, he gets paid, so there could be a lot of soul searching for him over its duration. If he doesn't pick himself up, however, that'll be the end of his serious earning power as a PL player. At the moment, he wouldn't even be a good earner in the Championship, so there's a crossroads coming up for him that he'll have to directly address.

West Ham has been a disaster for him, but more so for that club. In the end, he goes back to his club, and it's they who are compromised by him stinking it up for them at times of need. Phillips' reputation has taken a hit, but that's not the most pressing matter with years left on that City contract; he still has time to turn it round in that regard.

If we take money out of the equation, he's has a torrid time with crazy highs and lows relative to the low profile he used to have.
West ham has been a disaster for him, but which club wouldn't?