Kalvin Phillips | City Player (West Ham loan watch)

BabySinclair

They have Soucek and Alvarez.....a weird move for him to play there much more than at Manchester City in my opinion.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Placeholder until they get their real midfield target from Manchester in the summer.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
They have Soucek and Alvarez.....a weird move for him to play there much more than at Manchester City in my opinion.
He'll probably play every game if available.

----------------Phillips ---- Alvarez (Soucek)
--------Kudus---------JWP--------Paqueta
-------------------------Bowen

Phillips doesn't have Soucek's presence in each penalty area, but should be a significant improvement in between.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
If I was Pep I'd be telling him I don't want to see you in any poses doing that cringy cross arm thing that westam fans do.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
If the greatest manager of all time tells you you're above target weight you work your ass off to bring it down. What kind of mentality is this?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If the greatest manager of all time tells you you're above target weight you work your ass off to bring it down. What kind of mentality is this?
When did SAF say this?

Otherwise you are absolutely correct. Players wanting to be babied think differently... Look in the Sancho thread

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think the issue here is that he told the whole world. We can have our opinions on whether sending messages through media is a good or bad thing, every manager does it, but I think players are right to feel annoyed or negatively impacted by it. He said it dented his confidence.

Nero

I think everyone in the world could have told him he would barely kick a ball for City.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Imagine if a manager said that about Sancho

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think City signing him was probably more about stopping other clubs signing him than them actually wanting him themselves.
Why would they want to stop other clubs from getting him? It’s Kalvin Phillips. Hardly the needle mover for any of City’s rivals.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Why would they want to stop other clubs from getting him? It’s Kalvin Phillips. Hardly the needle mover for any of City’s rivals.
It could either be KP would have improved rivals or Pep was doing that thing where he pretends to rate a player so that gullible United pay big money for a dud.

E.g. Sánchez, Maguire, Fred

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
When did SAF say this?

Otherwise you are absolutely correct. Players wanting to be babied think differently... Look in the Sancho thread
Haha! I debating wording that differently but couldn't help myself.

But yeah, poor mentality in my opinion.

Oscar Bonavena

I think City signing him was probably more about stopping other clubs signing him than them actually wanting him themselves.
I strongly suspect he did that with Grealish. Spent 100 mill on a player who didn't seem like a Pep-style player at all, then sat him on the bench for most of his first season while he figured out how to use him.

The Kalvin Philips one is strange, I never thought he'd be good enough for City, plus he's not nearly good enough to buy just to prevent rivals getting him!

RedRocket9908

I strongly suspect he did that with Grealish. Spent 100 mill on a player who didn't seem like a Pep-style player at all, then sat him on the bench for most of his first season while he figured out how to use him.

The Kalvin Philips one is strange, I never thought he'd be good enough for City, plus he's not nearly good enough to buy just to prevent rivals getting him!
Liverpool were heavilly linked with Kalvin Phillips at the time and were in desperate need of midfield re-inforcements so it made sence for City to sign him to stop Liverpool who were their nearest challengers from getting him.

GlasgowCeltic

The kind of stuff thatd have the Sky pundits calling him a bad egg in the dressing room that needs shipping out, if he was foreign. But Kalvins a good lad who works his socks off etc

SAFMUTD

I know city doesn't miss a lot but this guy is a total failure, everyone knew he was not up to it. Basic player hyped because of his English status but bang average overall.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I know city doesn't miss a lot but this guy is a total failure, everyone knew he was not up to it. Basic player hyped because of his English status but bang average overall.
And won't come in for criticism like United do

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Liverpool were heavilly linked with Kalvin Phillips at the time and were in desperate need of midfield re-inforcements so it made sence for City to sign him to stop Liverpool who were their nearest challengers from getting him.
There are hundreds of midfielders out there of Phillips quality. It makes more sense that Pep either rated Phillips himself or wanted him to fill some kind HG quota. The idea that City thought he was so good that they couldn't possibly let Liverpool have him is wild. He was never that good.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I think it might be to do with Kalvin needing a certain type of man management. Bielsa had him meeting target weights on a weekly basis. Very strict, very thorough and Phillips would run through walls for him.

I guess the difference was that when Bielsa came in Phillips was just another two bit championship midfielder and Bielsa coached him to be the best he could possibly be and rewarded him by placing him at the centre of his system. Bielsa then leaves Phillips with an inflated ego and sense of his own talent. Once he gets to city he soon discovers he's not actually as good as he thought and he's back to being backup and the confidence of being The Man just ebbs away. Fragile ego; easily demotivated.