Kanye West why?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Kanye has only been a public figure for 18 years, since the release of College Dropout in 2004. His mother died in 2007. It is possible, likely even, that we simply didn't know him well enough for those 3 years.
He was a reasonably well known producer for a few years before College dropout as well but

2004 Walked out of the AMA awards when he didn't win
2005 George Bush does not care about Black People speech
2006 Didnt win best video award in MTV europe and got on stage to complain about it
2007 (prior to his mother dying) Said MTV picked Britany over him because she was white

Lets just say when he famously went on stage with Taylor Swift in 2009 it wasnt out of character

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
He was a reasonably well known producer for a few years before College dropout as well but

2004 Walked out of the AMA awards when he didn't win
2005 George Bush does not care about Black People speech
2006 Didnt win best video award in MTV europe and got on stage to complain about it
2007 (prior to his mother dying) Said MTV picked Britany over him because she was white
2013:

"“Did anyone else get a very angry phone call from Kanye West about an hour and a half ago? Just me? OK. I didn’t know if he was mad at all of us,” Kimmel said in opening his monologue.

After the commercial break, he revealed that West really had called him in his office earlier in the day.

“He is very angry because of a bit we aired this week,” Kimmel explained to his audience. “He gave an interview to the BBC, and we had a kid actor take the words and reenact it. We just had the kid say the stuff Kanye said. And apparently this upset him.”

Kimmel said West gave him two choices, the first being to “apologize publicly.”

“And that was really the only choice — the other choice he gave was ‘my life … your life is going to be much better if I apologize,’ and then he started tweeting today,” Kimmel said. “And I don’t even know if I’ve seen some of these because they’re happening as we speak.”

A completely deranged maniac.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Kanye is an odd one. I actually watched his interview with Pierce Morgan yesterday. He said a lot of good things. Praised the Jewish community, mentioned his envy that Jewish and other communities work together but the black community get paid to rap about murdering each other. He also said something about some designer brands sexualising children. Recently there’s been Balenciaga gate.

But then he says the most outlandish, offensive, sometimes childish things eg his comments about Hitler, or generalising the Jews as being the media etc. While I get some of his points about the “rap” culture and how record labels also incite violence. I think it’s best shuts up and gets given a time out.

mu4c_20le

Kanye is an odd one. I actually watched his interview with Pierce Morgan yesterday. He said a lot of good things. Praised the Jewish community, mentioned his envy that Jewish and other communities work together but the black community get paid to rap about murdering each other. He also said something about some designer brands sexualising children. Recently there’s been Balenciaga gate.
He defended Balenciaga. Which made me think that, in the midst of all the madness, he still knows what he's doing and won't burn actual bridges.

AlPistacho

He defended Balenciaga. Which made me think that, in the midst of all the madness, he still knows what he's doing and won't burn actual bridges.
In the pierce interview he was talking about designer labels sexualising kids. Not heard if he’s said anything since Balenciaga gate occurred in favour of them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Love the excuses made / mental gymnastics done for this idiot.

Kaush949

Ye doesnt say the shite he does because of his issues, but saying it plays no part whatsoever is weird. I'm far more experienced in dealing with severly bi-polar people than I wish on anyone and it can makes you say absolutely insanely hurtful things just for the sake of it. Kanye is too consistent in his madness to attribute most of it to mental illness, but none of it? Unlikely.
I agree with this. My partner is bi-polar and I have gone through enough episodes to attest. It usually starts with a stressor which can escalate past a threshold. Once she's beyond that point all hell breaks loose and she can say the most vile, hurtful and most damaging things that's ever possible.

The trick is to not engage, however hurtful she can be, try to calm her down by being in agreement with everything AT THAT MOMENT (as a partner you have to be mentally strong to not get triggered by her words or behaviour - this will only make it worse and amplify her negative episode).

Once she's calm (usually 1 day later after she has slept it off) she usually ends up in a state of complete shame, extreme sadness, guilt and depression. She is unable to comprehend how or why she could say the things she said. Because, it's opposite of who she is and what she believes. But, this is also the right time to offer support and show her why she needs help.

Here's an example of an episode (note - these weren't her exact words)

During Episode:

Her: I hope you die in a car crash.........

Next morning:

Her: How can I say such things? What's wrong with me....I cannot live like this...I am a failure...I don't deserve to be alive......

Sadly folks with bipolar are more susceptible of hurting themselves out of shame and guilt.

Right now, she's doing incredibly well - with the right support, therapy (DBT) and medication.

She is much more aware of her 'stressors' and she consciously tries avoid them or use techniques to prevent them from taking it past the 'point of no return'.

With respect to Kanye - yes he is probably a c*unt but his degree of c*untishness is definitely amplified by his mental disorder.

Giving him a platform on twitter or in the media is just wrong. He needs help and treatment. Sadly, bipolar folks are not consciously capable of realizing this or accepting this. But someone close to him should use the right opportunity and timing to talk some sense into him.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think they are sad. Grown people should be able to let go of their heroes.
It's funny how Trump is called all sorts of things but for this moron people bring out all the excuses and awwws.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I agree with this. My partner is bi-polar and I have gone through enough episodes to attest. It usually starts with a stressor/threshold. Once she's beyond that point all hell breaks loose and she can say the most hurtful and most damaging things that's ever possible.

The trick is to not engage, however hurtful she can be, try to calm her down by being in agreement with everything AT THAT MOMENT (as a partner you have to be mentally strong to not get triggered by her words or behaviour - this will only make it worse and amplify her negative episode).

Once she's calm (usually 1 day later after she has slept it off) she usually ends up in a state of complete shame, extreme sadness, guilt and depression. She is unable to comprehend how or why she could say and things she said. Because, it's opposite of who she and what she believes. But, this is also the right time to offer support and show her why she needs help.

Here's an example of an episode (note - these weren't her exact words)

During Episode:

Her: I hope you die in a car crash.........

Next morning:

Her: How can I say such things? What's wrong with me....I cannot live like this...I am a failure...I don't deserve to be alive......

Right now, she's doing incredibly well - with the right support, therapy (DBT) and medication.

She is much more aware of her 'stressors' and she consciously tries avoid them or use techniques to prevent them from taking it past the 'point of no return'.

With respect to Kanye - yes he is probably a c*unt but his degree of c*untishness is definitely amplified by his mental disorder.

Giving him a platform on twitter or in the media is just wrong. He needs help and treatment. He would never realize or accept this himself. But someone close to him should use the right opportunity and timing to talk some sense into him.
Sounds tough, but sounds like your partner is lucky to have you support. In my case it's my sister and (late) father. As you say, Kanye is definitely a cnut outside of it, but I think his condition amplifies it.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Sounds tough, but sounds like your partner is lucky to have you support. In my case it's my sister and (late) father. As you say, Kanye is definitely a cnut outside of it, but I think his condition amplifies it.
I'm with you guys.

I'm also not defending the guy as some kind of fanboy as I couldn't give less of a shit about any of the music (or any of his crap clothes or shoes) that he has produced if I tried.

Dan_F

You are downplaying an event that was serious enough for the President of the United States of America to call him a jackass.

People's opinions have just become stronger because 1) his jackassery is more political in nature now, and 2) because his music has sucked shit for a decade.
Oh come on :lol: Why are you trying to make it sound like a national security issue that a President had to comment on. Obama, a known hip hop fan, from Chicago, made a throwaway comment in private about him.

I wasn’t going to bother any more but your post made me laugh.

RedDevilQuebecois

neither of us know that. I think he’s been very unwell for a long time as he has himself admitted. Being a thoroughly unlikeable man at the same time doesn’t negate that.
One thing remains though: there's no cure for being a cnut.

Considering his background from the rap/hip-hop genre and the entire bag of shit he has said over the years, I just wonder how he has not made so many mortal enemies yet. Life expectancy is not the greatest for whatever reason in that business and genre combined.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Oh come on :lol: Why are you trying to make it sound like a national security issue that a President had to comment on. Obama, a known hip hop fan, from Chicago, made a throwaway comment in private about him.
The article I linked to is a public comment. One made years after the fact, which goes to show that the perception of Kanye in the intervening years did not change much.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Are people trying to conflate being a massive diva/ interrupting other artists on stage to outlining admiration for Nazis and declaring the loss of his sponsorships a Jewish conspiracy in terms of levels of terrible behaviour?

NotThatSoph

I have two primary reasons for why I'm not particularly partial to mental illness being a migitating factor.

The first is what I see as a sort of infatilizing of people with mental illnesses, where they're treated as a diagnosis. If someone with a mental illness does something bad, it's because they're mentally ill. They're people like everyone else, with complex mental lives, thoughts and personalities. They can be great, bad, funny, boring, assholes, saints. They are capable of independent thoughts and reasoning, they're not "crazy", and unless we're talking about something like a psycotich break or other forms of delusions then it doesn't make much sense to me to talk about it being mental illness rather than the actions of someone who happen to be mentally ill.

The other reason is that I don't see anything in what he's saying that is indicitative of mental illness. I do know several people with bipolar disorder, and it doesn't match at all, but I'm not a professional so I can't really speak to that. Here's a link to what @balaks said about it, for a more informed take. What I do have, though, is a probably unhealthy amount of experience of being around people who share Ye's far right views. I'll draw a parallell to the terrorist Anders Behring Breivik here. After his arrest he was evaluated to see if he could stand trial for what he did, and was first found clinically insane and therefore not legally responsible for his actions. Some of the evidence that was supposed to show that he was delusional was that when explaining himself he used made up terms and concepts, and this showed that he had created some sort of fantasy world. The problem with that reasoning is that it was completely false, he was using words and concepts that were and are completely normal in online far right circles.

A lot of the reasoning seems to be that what Ye is saying is so crazy that it must be mental illness, and he is after all bipolar so I guess that's why. He is, after all, a nazi, and he believes in conspiracy theories about how Jews run the world. That's crazy, right? It's certainly crazy in the sense that it's obviously wrong, both factually and morally, but if it's crazy in the mental illness type of way then every far right person is mentally ill in the same way. Millions of people around the world believe what he does. You don't even have to go to places like The Daily Stormer, who has migrated to the dark web by now. Large, open communities on chans, on Reddit, on Facebook, everywhere, buy into this stuff. In the context of the far right he's not saying anything particularly unhinged or crazy, it's standard nazi beliefs with standard nazi reasoning. While speaking with Alex Jones he was sitting next to Nick Fuentes, who has been saying similar stuff publicly for years. And he's pretty "mild" as far as those guys go.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I have two primary reasons for why I'm not particularly partial to mental illness being a migitating factor.

The first is what I see as a sort of infatilizing of people with mental illnesses, where they're treated as a diagnosis. If someone with a mental illness does something bad, it's because they're mentally ill. They're people like everyone else, with complex mental lives, thoughts and personalities. They can be great, bad, funny, boring, assholes, saints. They are capable of independent thoughts and reasoning, they're not "crazy", and unless we're talking about something like a psycotich break or other forms of delusions then it doesn't make much sense to me to talk about it being mental illness rather than the actions of someone who happen to be mentally ill.

The other reason is that I don't see anything in what he's saying that is indicitative of mental illness. I do know several people with bipolar disorder, and it doesn't match at all, but I'm not a professional so I can't really speak to that. Here's a link to what @balaks said about it, for a more informed take. What I do have, though, is a probably unhealthy amount of experience of being around people who share Ye's far right views. I'll draw a parallell to the terrorist Anders Behring Breivik here. After his arrest he was evaluated to see if he could stand trial for what he did, and was first found clinically insane and therefore not legally responsible for his actions. Some of the evidence that was supposed to show that he was delusional was that when explaining himself he used made up terms and concepts, and this showed that he had created some sort of fantasy world. The problem with that reasoning is that it was completely false, he was using words and concepts that were and are completely normal in online far right circles.

A lot of the reasoning seems to be that what Ye is saying is so crazy that it must be mental illness, and he is after all bipolar so I guess that's why. He is, after all, a nazi, and he believes in conspiracy theories about how Jews run the world. That's crazy, right? It's certainly crazy in the sense that it's obviously wrong, both factually and morally, but if it's crazy in the mental illness type of way then every far right person is mentally ill in the same way. Millions of people around the world believe what he does. You don't even have to go to places like The Daily Stormer, who has migrated to the dark web by now. Large, open communities on chans, on Reddit, on Facebook, everywhere, buy into this stuff. In the context of the far right he's not saying anything particularly unhinged or crazy, it's standard nazi beliefs with standard nazi reasoning. While speaking with Alex Jones he was sitting next to Nick Fuentes, who has been saying similar stuff publicly for years. And he's pretty "mild" as far as those guys go.
Well articulated.

AlPistacho

Good points.

I agree about the “making up words” not sure about the Norwegian terrorist you mentioned, but with Kanye he usually makes up words that make sense, and also his fantasy stories are usually analogies explain whatever thought/point he’s trying to make. So clearly he able to think etc

Last edited:

Todd

Kanye is legitimately insane and to top it off he's probably the single most overrated hip hop artist of all time.

The most worthwhile thing he has ever done is slag off George W Bush on national television.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

These are good points, but someone with a severe manic episode can not be held entirely accountable for their actions. As I stated, I think Kanye is far too consistent in his shite viewpoints to say things like he's just crazy, but taking away some of the accountablility from the mentally ill is not infantilizing them, it's also to protect them. It's why pleading insanity (dont think this is the correct term) gives you a lower sentence in a court. A mental illness is not part of your personality, it's an illness.

Kanye West is massive cnut, bi-polar or not, but I am convinced that the way he goes off the rails can for a small part be amplified by his disorder. People can race their mind into completely insane delusions when they're manic and be absolutely convinced of stuff and see conspiracies and non existent links between things that arent there.

I actually feel people with mental illness arent infantilised at all. A very large part of us thinks people with mental illness are just a bit down and should grow a pair. It's actually the biggest single taboo in The Netherlands to talk openly about.

I have to repeat that I am not, at all, ever, trying to defend Kanye West who is a piece of shite, but I'm taking this particularly hard because of my close family members and the fact they've been shunned and told they should stop whinging and pick themselves up all their life. And that stinks.

Feck Kanye.

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
Every time anyone slags off the War Criminal George W Bush they will be correct
Oh no doubt. I fecking despise Bush. I also despise how he's been slowly rehabilitated after his Presidency, partially through the passage of time and partially through idiots going "well at least he was a grown up" when looking back from the Trump era.

NotThatSoph

These are good points, but someone with a severe manic episode can not be held entirely accountable for their actions. As I stated, I think Kanye is far too consistent in his shite viewpoints to say things like he's just crazy, but taking away some of the accountablility from the mentally ill is not infantilizing them, it's also to protect them. It's why pleading insanity (dont think this is the correct term) gives you a lower sentence in a court. A mental illness is not part of your personality, it's an illness.

Kanye West is massive cnut, bi-polar or not, but I am convinced that the way he goes off the rails can for a small part be amplified by his disorder. People can race their mind into completely insane delusions when they're manic and be absolutely convinced of stuff and see conspiracies and non existent links between things that arent there.

I actually feel people with mental illness arent infantilised at all. A very large part of us thinks people with mental illness are just a bit down and should grow a pair. It's actually the biggest single taboo in The Netherlands to talk openly about.

I have to repeat that I am not, at all, ever, trying to defend Kanye West who is a piece of shite, but I'm taking this particularly hard because of my close family members and the fact they've been shunned and told they should stop whinging and pick themselves up all their life. And that stinks.

Feck Kanye.
You can't plead insanity just because you're mentally ill, it has to be something that makes you lose touch with reality, like a psycothic break. I agree, a severe manic episode can be a situation like that, so the question is if that's what's going on with him right now. It's possible, of course, but in my not very qualified opinion I don't really see it. It's been exactly two months now since he went public with the "deathcon" stuff, and he's been on some sort of Hitler train for five years, so even though it's clearly escalating it would have to be a recurring theme with his mania combined with the fact that this particular episode is very, very long. From some amateur googling I'm reading that manic episodes can last for months, so it's not impossible, but as far as I understand it's not normal. The main evidence for this being a manic episode seems to me to just be that he's bipolar, not that he is acting in a way that is especially manic.

I see what you're saying about the stigma, I completely agree and I'm very sorry to hear about the family members you mention. I think I'm trying to talk about something similar but from the other direction. It's very true that people with mental disorders are often dismissed, as if it's not real, but they're also dismissed from the other end, as if they're simply crazy. It's not an easy balance to strike, and not an easy topic to talk sensibly about.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

Feck Kanye.
I agree with NotSoph’s post, and I also agree with yours. I think your point regarding infantilisation is a salient one, because again while I agree with NotSoph’s point about taking people holistically and not just ascribing things to their condition, it is something that should generally be acknowledged (Not referring to Kanye here). I’ve been sectioned multiple times due to my bipolar, and it’s a hard hand to deal with in general,

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Oh no doubt. I fecking despise Bush. I also despise how he's been slowly rehabilitated after his Presidency, partially through the passage of time and partially through idiots going "well at least he was a grown up" when looking back from the Trump era.
And he paints well.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You can't plead insanity just because you're mentally ill, it has to be something that makes you lose touch with reality, like a psycothic break. I agree, a severe manic episode can be a situation like that, so the question is if that's what's going on with him right now. It's possible, of course, but in my not very qualified opinion I don't really see it. It's been exactly two months now since he went public with the "deathcon" stuff, and he's been on some sort of Hitler train for five years, so even though it's clearly escalating it would have to be a recurring theme with his mania combined with the fact that this particular episode is very, very long. From some amateur googling I'm reading that manic episodes can last for months, so it's not impossible, but as far as I understand it's not normal. The main evidence for this being a manic episode seems to me to just be that he's bipolar, not that he is acting in a way that is especially manic.

I see what you're saying about the stigma, I completely agree and I'm very sorry to hear about the family members you mention. I think I'm trying to talk about something similar but from the other direction. It's very true that people with mental disorders are often dismissed, as if it's not real, but they're also dismissed from the other end, as if they're simply crazy. It's not an easy balance to strike, and not an easy topic to talk sensibly about.
Being to consistent for it to be his illness and akso how long he's been doing it are indeed the main argument against it. Severely manic people usually barely sleep and that's just not mentally sustainabke, resultinf in depression shortly after. Not sure how long it could last, but no way it's five years and eben then, he'd have periods were he'd be clearheaded and remorseful.

Ot's a tough subject to tackle, but it's great to have a nuanced conversation about. Online no less :)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I agree with NotSoph’s post, and I also agree with yours. I think your point regarding infantilisation is a salient one, because again while I agree with NotSoph’s point about taking people holistically and not just ascribing things to their condition, it is something that should generally be acknowledged (Not referring to Kanye here). I’ve been sectioned multiple times due to my bipolar, and it’s a hard hand to deal with in general,
It really is. Especially since it's a life long hand.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Feck Kanye.
Feel for your family members. I was diagnosed later in life with BPD (30) & it was my father that derided the diagnosis & never believed it to be true, that I was basically just a pussy who couldn't handle life like man. Every other close family member were both relieved that I was potentially on a path to stabilization & were able to square up my actions in the past. It was always a downer that I could never chat with my pop about what I was going through the last few years of his life.