g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Music Kanye West

Deleted member 78215

Terrible album title. Sounds like something a two-bit wannabe gangster would concoct thinking it sounded 'ard.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Knowing the pretentious twit, it's probably referring to Picasso & not Escobar.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I bet the guy who came up with that had a bet with his mate that he could get Kanye to use any old shit.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Everything he does is designed to provoke a reaction, he knows it's going to be a negative one but it doesn't matter, as long as you're talking and you all lap it up and play right into his hands even though you can't stand him.

He's basically Katie Hopkins.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Everything he does is designed to provoke a reaction, he knows it's going to be a negative one but it doesn't matter, as long as you're talking and you all lap it up and play right into his hands even though you can't stand him.

To a certain extent yes, but he also does a lot of stuff that he genuinely believes is genius when it's shite or just not that good.

Like Yeezus or that album cover.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeezus :drool:

That album cover is shite though, as was the MBDTF one.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

It works too. Can't think of many musicians who are genuinely divisive these days but he manages it.

Zen

What about the other albums of greatness though?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

And he's with Kim Kardashian; her and her mother are artists at it.

thelemon

I will listen to the album at some point I think, but I really hope it's better than Yeezus, which I enjoyed the first few tracks of (the first two are excellent actually) , but the rest of the album was awful. Especially Bound 2, which is one of the worst songs ever created I think.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't really like Kanye that much at all but MBDTF is quite possibly the best hip-hop album I've heard in my life. Most of his other work varies from good to just shite (Yeezus) and his **** like following is fecking terrible, so I sit firmly on the fence regarding him. Splinters in the arse and all.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Probably the most critically adored artist of the last 15 years. These three albums alone...

College Dropout:

"The College Dropout was voted as the best album of the year by Rolling Stone and in The Village Voice's Pazz & Jop, an annual poll of American critics. Spin ranked it number one on its list of 40 Best Albums of the Year. In 2005, Pitchfork Media named it #50 in their best albums of 2000–2004. In 2006, the album was named by Time as one of the 100 best albums of all time. In its retrospective 2007 issue, XXL awarded it a perfect "XXL" rating, which had previously been given to only sixteen other albums. In its July 4, 2008 issue, Entertainment Weekly listed College Dropout as the fourth best album of the past 25 years. The magazine later listed it as the best album of the decade. Newsweek placed The College Dropout among its Best Albums of the Decade list at number 3. Rhapsody named it the seventh best album of the decade and the fourth best hip hop album of the decade. Rolling Stone ranked it number 10 on its list of the 100 Best Albums of the Decade and stated, "Kanye expanded the musical and emotional language of hip-hop ... he challenged all the rules, dancing across boundaries others were too afraid to even acknowledge". In 2012 Complex named the album one of the classic albums of the last decade, and the 20th best hip hop debut album ever. The same year Rolling Stone ranked The College Dropout number 298 on its list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, and 19th on their list of debut records."

808's & Heartbreak:

"Although West designed it as a melancholic pop album, 808s & Heartbreak had a significant effect on hip hop music. While his decision to sing about love, loneliness, and heartache for the entirety of the album was at first heavily criticized by music audiences and the album predicted to be a flop, its subsequent critical acclaim and commercial success encouraged other mainstream rappers to take greater creative risks with their music. During the release of The Blueprint 3, New York rap mogul Jay-Z revealed that his next studio album would be an experimental effort, stating, "... it's not gonna be a #1 album. That's where I'm at right now. I wanna make the most experimental album I ever made." Jay-Z elaborated that like West, he was unsatisfied with contemporary hip hop, was being inspired by indie-rockers like Grizzly Bear and asserted his belief that the indie rock movement would play an important role in the continued evolution of hip hop. The album impacted hip hop stylistically and laid the groundwork for a new wave of hip hop artists who generally eschewed typical rap braggadocio for intimate subject matter and introspection, including B.o.B, Kid Cudi, Childish Gambino, Frank Ocean, The Weeknd, and Drake. Jake Paine of HipHopDX dubbed the album as "our Chronic", noting West's effect on hip hop with 808s & Heartbreak as "a sound, no different than the way Dr. Dre's synthesizer challenged the boom-bap of the early '90s." Rolling Stone journalist Matthew Trammell asserted that the record was ahead of its time and wrote in a 2012 article, "Now that popular music has finally caught up to it, 808s & Heartbreak has revealed itself to be Kanye’s most vulnerable work, and perhaps his most brilliant." Music writer Greg Kot views that the album "set off" the "wave of inward-looking sensitivity" and "emo"-inspired rappers during the late 2000s, writing that it "presaged everything from the introspective hip-hop of Kid Cudi's Man on the Moon: The End of Day (2009) to the wispy crooning, plush keyboards and light mechanical beats of Bon Iver's Justin Vernon and British dub-step balladeer James Blake." According to Consequence of Sound editors Chris Bosman and Dcaff, the album still sounds fresh because of how "indie R&B or electropop or whatever you want to call it" later developed: "808s' is flooded with R&B and it digitizes the raw emotion and isolated feelings that [James Blake and The Weeknd] have carved their brands out of today." Craig D. Linsey of The Village Voice writes that the album's "naked humanity ... practically set off the emo-rap/r&b boom that everyone from Drake to Frank Ocean to The Weeknd now traffic in." Marcus Scott of GIANT writes that rappers such as B.o.B, Drake, and Kid Cudi followed West's album with similarly-minded works, with Scott noting West's introspective, emotional themes and his synthpop and "Vangelis-inspired" music as influences. Drake's 2009 mixtape So Far Gone received comparisons from music critics to 808s & Heartbreak. Todd Martens of the Los Angeles Times cited 808s & Heartbreak as "the template [...] for essentially the entirety of Drake's young career", and that wrote that he "shares West's love for mood and never-ending existential analysis". In a 2009 interview, Drake cited West as "the most influential person" in shaping his own sound. In 2014, Rolling Stone included it in their list of the 40 Most Groundbreaking Albums of All Time."

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy:

"My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy appeared on numerous music critics' and publications' end-of-year albums lists. Chicago Tribune writer Greg Kot included it at number seven on his list of the year's top albums, writing that it "turns contradictions into strengths, a mix of classical opulence, grimy beats, boldness and vulnerability". PopMatters named it the year's fourth best album in its year-end list, calling it "Kanye West’s self-portrait, in Cubism: complex, petulant, somewhat paranoid, but bursting with ideas and never boring". The Guardian included it at number two on its list of 2010's top 40 albums and commented that West "remains, on record, one of the most compelling artists of our time". Many critics and publications named it the best album of the year, including Billboard, Time, Slant Magazine, Pitchfork Media, Rolling Stone, and Spin. The magazine's Charles Aaron wrote that it "is 2010's album of the year because Kanye dramatizes ... with a budget-averse musical imagination that's ominous, symphonic, heartsick, riff-ravaged, and driven by the most technically legit rapping he's ever managed". The A.V. Club ranked the album at the top of its year-end list and commented on its significance, stating "Fantasy is an idiot-savant smash, an example of a musician overreaching, yet triumphing through dumb bravado and an imagination gloriously unfettered by logic. Kanye actually set out to make the album of the year when nobody listens to albums anymore". My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was voted best album in The Village Voice's Pazz & Jop critics' poll for 2010, winning by the largest margin in the poll's history. The singles "Power", "Runaway", and "Monster" were voted in the top-10 of the Pazz & Jop's singles list. This is the third instance in which a Kanye West album topped the Pazz & Jop's annual critics' poll, followed by The College Dropout in 2004 and Late Registration in 2005; Yeezus would eventually be the fourth in 2013. Metacritic, which collates reviews of music albums, named it the best-reviewed album of 2010. In 2012, Rolling Stone ranked the album number 353 on its list of the 500 greatest albums of all time, and Complex included it in their list of "25 Rap Albums From the Past Decade That Deserve Classic Status". Entertainment Weekly named it 8th best album of all time on their 2013 list. In October 2013, Complex named it the best hip hop album of the last five years. NME ranked the album at 24 on their 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time list. In August 2014, the song "Runaway" (featuring Pusha T) was ranked in the third position in Pitchfork Media's list of the 200 "best tracks" released since 2010. During the same week, the publication named it the best album of the 2010s decade — between 2010 and 2014 — commenting, "West broke the ground upon which the new decade's most brilliant architects built their masterworks; Bon Iver, Take Care, Channel Orange, and good kid, m.A.A.d city don’t exist without the blueprint of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The list ends here because it’s where the decade truly begins." The critics' aggregation site Acclaimed Music has found My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy to be the 73rd most celebrated album in the history of popular music."